Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Adder Moray posted:

She just needs to amend it to

"Rose did what was necessary for us to be free. She was a real poo poo about it, though."

I mean it kinda calls into question how selfless she was being, and whether the casualties of the war were even necessary. Neither of them realized how much fallout there would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"Heterosexuality Causes Genocide" is a story that SU can really tell.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Yeah idgi either.

The song is about Greg having a hard time after he changed his name to be a rock (and roller), he enjoys the ride, but he knows it's going to burn him out eventually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EoRaptor posted:

Ludicrous theory: The chest contains a never 'activated' 'pink' pearl.

The Adventures of Pearl and Pearl I would watch the hell out of.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So Math posted:

The song is about Greg having a hard time after he changed his name to be a rock (and roller), he enjoys the ride, but he knows it's going to burn him out eventually.
Oh, man. So Steven Quartz Universe is neither a Quartz nor a Universe, and now I think a big part of going forward will him accepting, "No. I'm a Quartz. And a Universe," in a bit of trans-alluding "you're not what your family tree says you are," since both of his parents changed their names to get away from that.

I love it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm on vacation so I didn't know these episodes were coming. God drat this has been great, super pumped for the fallout from these revelations and the inevitable jasperedemtiongregnancy.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Don't know if Steven's issues with his mom are getting resolved or will get much worse. After Jailbreak when he went on a drive with the cool kids, he didn't know what to make of himself. Now he knows, but at the same time he doesn't know what he should be doing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Now that I'm caught up I wanna know what was in the leaked spoiler clip from last week and can't find even a description of it. What scene was it?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Can you elaborate? I see a bunch of diamonds in the art that might foreshadow Rose. Is that it?

The first verse of "Like a Comet" is about Greg (De Mayo) feeling unappreciated. So he decides to leave his figurative home among the stars and start a new life.

The second, third, and fourth verses touch on the same points: he enjoys the accolades people give him, his new life is harder, he's satisfied with his life, and he's sure he made the right decision.

The fifth and sixth verse has him plummeting towards Earth: he has a lot more he wants to do but he doesn't see any other choice but to follow the trajectory he's on until he crashes.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

The first verse of "Like a Comet" is about Greg (De Mayo) feeling unappreciated. So he decides to leave his figurative home among the stars and start a new life.

The second, third, and fourth verses touch on the same points: he enjoys the accolades people give him, his new life is harder, he's satisfied with his life, and he's sure he made the right decision.

The fifth and sixth verse has him plummeting towards Earth: he has a lot more he wants to do but he doesn't see any other choice but to follow the trajectory he's on until he crashes.

Followed immediately by the only person being there to even hear it being Rose.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

Man alive. This is great too.

nine-gear crow posted:

Followed immediately by the only person being there to even hear it being Rose.
Who then fell in love with him. Jesus. This show.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, man. So Steven Quartz Universe is neither a Quartz nor a Universe, and now I think a big part of going forward will him accepting, "No. I'm a Quartz. And a Universe," in a bit of trans-alluding "you're not what your family tree says you are," since both of his parents changed their names to get away from that.

I love it.

I'm convinced that Gem Harvest (the thanksgiving episode) is meant to be a microcosm of the whole series.

To start with, "Andy Demayo" is a phonetic anagram of "A Diamond". The reading below appears significant if you are willing to read "Demayo" as interchangeable with "Diamond".

The episode starts off with conflict between our gems and Andy. It's revealed that Steven's father has kept him in the dark about his true identity - Greg (and therefore Steven) is actually a Demayo by birth, whereas Universe is an aspirational assumed identity. The Demayos, it turns out, are a family of wealthy, skyfaring, landowners. Ideologically, they are privileged and conservative, which drives a wedge between them and the freedom-loving Greg, who is seen as a rebellious hippie.

But the important part is how the episode ends. They could beat Andy up, they could drive him off, but that's not Steven's way. Peace and love and reconciliation are what's important. It was never going to be about beating the Demayos.

And then there's a wedding? With cake?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gaebril posted:

I'm convinced that Gem Harvest (the thanksgiving episode) is meant to be a microcosm of the whole series.

To start with, "Andy Demayo" is a phonetic anagram of "A Diamond". The reading below appears significant if you are willing to read "Demayo" as interchangeable with "Diamond".

The episode starts off with conflict between our gems and Andy. It's revealed that Steven's father has kept him in the dark about his true identity - Greg (and therefore Steven) is actually a Demayo by birth, whereas Universe is an aspirational assumed identity. The Demayos, it turns out, are a family of wealthy, skyfaring, landowners. Ideologically, they are privileged and conservative, which drives a wedge between them and the freedom-loving Greg, who is seen as a rebellious hippie.

But the important part is how the episode ends. They could beat Andy up, they could drive him off, but that's not Steven's way. Peace and love and reconciliation are what's important. It was never going to be about beating the Demayos.

And then there's a wedding? With cake?

"Microcosm" is taking it too far because there's a lot more going on that matters that isn't part of this reading, but I like it.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
So...Rose hears the backstory of Greg’s on-stage persona and identifies with him in that moment. It’s cute for what seemed to be a space-themed but otherwise sort of bog standard rock song about living the hard and fast life of a rock star until you burn out from it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Unmature posted:

Now that I'm caught up I wanna know what was in the leaked spoiler clip from last week and can't find even a description of it. What scene was it?

That clip is still from a future episode and still contains massive spoilers. Having seen the clip myself, it wouldn't surprise me if it was from the last scene of the season finale.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to call at least one song for the season finale.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yellow Diamond: We've come to this pathetic little planet Earth to find and destroy whoever killed Pink Diamond! Where are they?!

*Pearl slowly points to Greg without a word*

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Funky Valentine posted:

Yellow Diamond: We've come to this pathetic little planet Earth to find and destroy whoever killed Pink Diamond! Where are they?!

*Pearl slowly points to Greg without a word*

Two years later Yellow Steven is born.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

I'm going to call at least one song for the season finale.

I hope the finale is a rock opera.

Hell, you could probably make a rock opera out of the story of Pink Diamond.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope the finale is a rock opera.

Hell, you could probably make a rock opera out of the story of Pink Diamond.

No, finale should be a Estelle cover of Born This Way, or some other gay bar staple.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

That clip is still from a future episode and still contains massive spoilers. Having seen the clip myself, it wouldn't surprise me if it was from the last scene of the season finale.

Oh man they really did gently caress up. I've heard the finale thing but thought it would still be from the most recent episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Unmature posted:

Oh man they really did gently caress up. I've heard the finale thing but thought it would still be from the most recent episode.

It's really annoying, I thought that they'd got past the leaking.

Still, something I'm still hoping for (although I am aware some are hoping at least one villain won't be befriended) is if Blue Diamond finally chills out after her arcs are complete, she has a long overdue conversation with Garnet. Those two really need to hash things out after the mess the first time they interacted. If it's anyone's fault Blue lost her Sapphire, it's only her own. Like Yellow with her Peridot, the phrase "Hey idiot! well done radicalising your girls!" comes to mind. I'm actually curious if in the aftermath BD regretted that moment at all, even if it's just from missing having a Sapphire at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hard to say; it's clear that Gems are meant to be expendable and easily replaceable, and that the Diamonds likely really don't give a poo poo about a Gem who runs off on the job to live in some other corner of the galaxy. (though they may have changed that policy given there's kill-on-sight drones roaming the abandoned lower reaches of Homeworld where the unwanted Gems live. Possibly after the Crystal Gem rebellion they had some realisation how they're literally mass-producing malcontents, though clearly their policies haven't been effective) Probably depends on rarity, and it's specifically mentioned Sapphires are rare, aristocratic gems, and that Blue specifically called out that Sapphire for this mission. Peridots are noted specifically to be particularly low on the totem pole. If one won't behave, you can get another that will.

Speaking of Peridot; that modern Gems apparently are weaker and lack special powers or shapeshifting ability, and use technology to compensate, may be partly a deliberate policy so that defectors are weaker when cut off from Homeworld support.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
after some thought, the only thing I don't like about the PD reveal is that it seems like a stretch that she'd be able to hide her nature from the gems she fused with, since I assume that she fused with Garnet at some point (the temple statue seems to be of the fusion of Rose + Garnet + Pearl, at least)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm curious if Pink ever tried to question why fusion was outlawed, since as Rose she was clearly into the idea. Of course she probably heard a lot about how dangerous it can be letting Gems fuse willy-nilly and that when doing so they aren't doing their job, but it's likely that Pink noticed that Fusions like that are actually more adept at doing both jobs while also being good at new things. Of course she couldn't allow fusions in her court directly, but she encouraged the rebels to play with the idea and experiment. Maybe before she got desperate she was trying to build a Case.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Incidentally, Joe Johnston confirmed on his tumblr that Pearl was made directly for Rose, and the whole 'no choice but to follow direct orders' thing only applies to Pearls and the person they were specifically designed and created for.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man i just caught up on like, the past year of episodes (from lion 4 to what's current) and this show still owns

i got spoiled on them finally pulling the trigger on RQ = PD and i was skeptical but drat they pulled it off in a real satisfying way

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Theory: the writers still haven't figured out what's in the chest. They just put it there to put something interesting in later when they come up with an idea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheChirurgeon posted:

after some thought, the only thing I don't like about the PD reveal is that it seems like a stretch that she'd be able to hide her nature from the gems she fused with, since I assume that she fused with Garnet at some point (the temple statue seems to be of the fusion of Rose + Garnet + Pearl, at least)

We literally had an episode about how fusions don't automatically know everything the components know, even when it includes motivations for fusing.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious if Pink ever tried to question why fusion was outlawed, since as Rose she was clearly into the idea. Of course she probably heard a lot about how dangerous it can be letting Gems fuse willy-nilly and that when doing so they aren't doing their job, but it's likely that Pink noticed that Fusions like that are actually more adept at doing both jobs while also being good at new things. Of course she couldn't allow fusions in her court directly, but she encouraged the rebels to play with the idea and experiment. Maybe before she got desperate she was trying to build a Case.

IIRC Homeworld accepts fusion only as a battle technique if Peridot's reaction is anything to go by, and it's likely that cross-caste fusion is a crime because it involves acting waaay above/below your station by necessity. (note that BD in the flashback ordered the Ruby crushed, not the Sapphire) That it can be such a threat to Homeworld's strict heirarchy is probably why it's so regulated.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has the meaning of Love Like You changed?

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We literally had an episode about how fusions don't automatically know everything the components know, even when it includes motivations for fusing.

Yeah this. Also Pink Diamond got poofed before reforming as Rose Quartz so that was presumably her natural form inside fusions and such, she wasn't shapeshifting.

Did we ever see Rose in other costumes? If she'd gotten poofed and reformed again at some point with people around the diamond sillhouette probably could've been pretty noticeable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Two years later Yellow Steven is born.

We all know the real endgame is Greg impregnating all Gems

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hard to say; it's clear that Gems are meant to be expendable and easily replaceable, and that the Diamonds likely really don't give a poo poo about a Gem who runs off on the job to live in some other corner of the galaxy. (though they may have changed that policy given there's kill-on-sight drones roaming the abandoned lower reaches of Homeworld where the unwanted Gems live. Possibly after the Crystal Gem rebellion they had some realisation how they're literally mass-producing malcontents, though clearly their policies haven't been effective) Probably depends on rarity, and it's specifically mentioned Sapphires are rare, aristocratic gems, and that Blue specifically called out that Sapphire for this mission. Peridots are noted specifically to be particularly low on the totem pole. If one won't behave, you can get another that will.

Speaking of Peridot; that modern Gems apparently are weaker and lack special powers or shapeshifting ability, and use technology to compensate, may be partly a deliberate policy so that defectors are weaker when cut off from Homeworld support.

I still think the whole "Era 2 Gems can't shapeshift" thing is going to end up being a lie, especially since it presents a bit of a logic hole regarding how Gems work

RandomPauI posted:

Has the meaning of Love Like You changed?

Seems to me it just highlights Rose's self loathing even more than it did prior to the Pink Diamond reveal

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That makes sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

double post

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Fusions don't immediately know everything but when they fuse/unfuse you can see their gems floating around. Itd be a hell of a trick to always keep your diamond pointed away from onlookers, and other fused gems.

Also means Rose never got proofed, but that's more plausible

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fusions don't immediately know everything but when they fuse/unfuse you can see their gems floating around. Itd be a hell of a trick to always keep your diamond pointed away from onlookers, and other fused gems.

It's also possible that someone did see her full gem, but since she already had powers no other Rose Quartz had, they just wrote it off as her being some kind of weird defective gem.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
[quote="TheChirurgeon" post=""484025446"]

[/quote]

Why do you think Pearl was so rabid about throwing herself between Rose and every single tough Jasper on the battlefield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Love Like You will probably never have a totally correct answer with regards to who it's meant for and who is singing. The song matches multiple events, people and relationships and it's written in a way that it connects with all of them.