Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

labyrinth is extremely boring and bad

You can always just leave in those cases. Or quaff berserk or something and kill purgy dead

im not worried lmao

im saying theyre not v interesting, all the danger is in getting to the vault before it closes

also labyrinth is bad folks, if you want a breather code in an attack that gives you a 15 minute time out that cools down hourly and give it to common monsters

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if labyrint algorithm guaranteed multiple paths to the exit and involved several transparent minivaults (maybe literally just lifting or maybe slightly shrinking the portal-cordoned entry/exit ones from regular Dungeon) that would have their own moderate danger/challenge (any one of the elemental turrets, eels behind deep water, a lonesome, locked in unique) and you'd have to make your way through some of them and decide which ones can you actually hope to take on and either with an optional loot in each or better loot overall at the exit? They'd definitely be in the way and you'd have to pick one, but in case of them having some local loot also decide which one you want the loot from the most.

Maybe this is hella overcomplicating and against the simple and "clean" pathfinding idea the Labyrinth and would make more sense as a portal of it's own leaving out the pathing thing altogether; call it something like the Asylum or the Gaol.

e: if you don't kill Yiuf by the time you reach D:10, it will guarantee portal to the Asylum and an ubercharged version of him will be guaranteed to spawn in the final vault with a +9 Chaos staff and 6 Dancing Weapon Hammers defending him.

Teal fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 8, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teal posted:

e: if you don't kill Yiuf by the time you reach D:10, it will guarantee portal to the Asylum and an ubercharged version of him will be guaranteed to spawn in the final vault with a +9 Chaos staff and 6 Dancing Weapon Hammers defending him.

Like, openly, how do you guys feel about borrowing some ideas from the Dark Souls school of design when it comes to "hidden opportunity" options where you can invoke a "trick" sequence that's not particularly hard to achieve but isn't super likely to happen (neither being impossible to happen without you knowing, though) if you don't know what you're doing, usually opening a super punishing and dangerous but highly rewarding consequence?

Like, if you encounter unique X and explicitly avoid them and don't kill them and get to somewhere and do something, a portal to Bad Times Place With Good Loot Tho opens?

Definitely no "haha, you triggered my autistic trap sequence you had no way of knowing about, enjoy every wall tile on the floor turning into bees" but just ways to beat a little bit more deterministic opportunity out of the game with the right knowledge.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Teal posted:

Like, openly, how do you guys feel about borrowing some ideas from the Dark Souls school of design when it comes to "hidden opportunity" options where you can invoke a "trick" sequence that's not particularly hard to achieve but isn't super likely to happen (neither being impossible to happen without you knowing, though) if you don't know what you're doing, usually opening a super punishing and dangerous but highly rewarding consequence?

Like, if you encounter unique X and explicitly avoid them and don't kill them and get to somewhere and do something, a portal to Bad Times Place With Good Loot Tho opens?

Definitely no "haha, you triggered my autistic trap sequence you had no way of knowing about, enjoy every wall tile on the floor turning into bees" but just ways to beat a little bit more deterministic opportunity out of the game with the right knowledge.
Isn't this sort of esoteric only-the-cool-kids-know bullshit exactly why people get frustrated with Nethack and ADOM and other bulkier roguelikes? There's no element of exploration to it, it'll all be listed on a wiki and the learndb, so the only reason it's even there is to remove options from people who aren't in the know and don't happen to stumble onto the unlock.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Isn't this sort of esoteric only-the-cool-kids-know bullshit exactly why people get frustrated with Nethack and ADOM and other bulkier roguelikes? There's no element of exploration to it, it'll all be listed on a wiki and the learndb, so the only reason it's even there is to remove options from people who aren't in the know and don't happen to stumble onto the unlock.

Yeah I know that's the other extreme, I'm just trying to find some way of alleviating the runs where literally loving nothing of note happens, no cool uniques turn up, no interesting loot drops, and I die to a crowd of orc priests because I'm too bored to just not hold down Tab till it fucks me over.

Another way would be to put more determinism into the spawns and inject guaranteed spawns of <Things and stuff> in predetermined intervals - didn't somebody have an idea for loot boxes or something?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
A floor where the walls slowly turn into bees sounds rad.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Can't believe there are Labyrinth haters in here. Just make it so that when you enter you're automatically satiated/engorged and then a magical force prevents you from eating. Ta-da, now you've got a real goddam timer, get cracking fool. (I know there are problems with this).

For the record, I will take every portal I come across and possibly try to murder myself in the process by scouring the map for it and/or using the scrolls of magic mapping that I save expressly for finding them. Experience is so tight in the game now that I think you have no choice but to hit every one you can for that sweet XP and potential loot. I think I haven't died in any except for a Bailey/Ice Cave in a long time.

And desolation of salt is badass and the loot is awesome.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
The only real change I would want to see to labyrinth is more of the minivaults and for skeletons of different player races to spawn throughout the non-minivault parts.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Earlier today I had a dead end in Labyrinth with a portal to Abyss and thought what the gently caress.

What if Labyrinth got progressively more dangerous and rewarding over time with exits appearing and disappearing continuously and the question not being "find a way out" but "will I survive by the time the next one turns up?"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Honestly the problem with Labyrinth isn't its design, it's that there's nothing in it except a lot of passages in which to blindly grope around, maybe a couple of fairly irrelevant minivaults, and the minotaur vault. If it takes a while to find the exit, you pretty well spend the whole time doing nothing but walking around trying to figure out how to get to it.

I don't hate Labyrinth per se, I just don't see that it's particularly worth getting excited about anymore. Once the novelty is gone, it's basically just an uneventful period of pressing movement keys, but with constant maprot and the added annoyance of feeling like you have to go back and double-check sometimes in case something changed. I don't even find it particularly zen, it just feels like a bland detour away from the titular dungeon crawl (a remarkable feat, considering the branch's theme).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The maprot interface screw is really bad and was rightly purged from the rest of the game years ago. If you tried to make labyrinths 'harder' you'd just make it mandatory for the player to draw their own map if they don't want to randomly die.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You guys are lame, labyrinths are always a pleasure and a small joy when I come across them. It's also a timed portal, so if you don't like it, don't go. Unlike Hive, it's presence doesn't really have knock-on effects.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wonder how tossing random boulder beetles into labyrinth would go...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That's hilariously malicious. I like it. You could also potentially try to finesse a particularly nasty Minotaur by drawing it into the path of a rolling beetle, if you were feeling really gutsy.

Serephina posted:

You guys are lame, labyrinths are always a pleasure and a small joy when I come across them. It's also a timed portal, so if you don't like it, don't go. Unlike Hive, it's presence doesn't really have knock-on effects.

I want the treasure and xp for the minotaur, I just don't see why wandering through the labyrinth to get there can't involve anything other than silence and solitude. Random boulder beetles would certainly spice things up.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Aparently labyrinth should be the next big goon committee change. We should all vote on things to add to it (and force someone to code it) or vote to remove it/ remove everything but the black metal walls.
Things we could vote on:

Removing it
Making all the walls digable
Adding boulder beetles/ PC race zombies and skeles/ earth elementals/ whatever else fits
More minivaults/almost entirely minivaults
Reducing it's size
Buffing the minotaur but not letting it pick up the loot
Replacing the minotaur with a goblin king named Ziggy (who always carries a randart -something- named stardust)
Leaving it alone
Having it get harder over time with exits spawning randomly similar to the abyss

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 8, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

baby delivery truck posted:

Aparently labyrinth should be the next big goon committee change. We should all vote on things to add to it (and force someone to code it) or vote to remove it/ remove everything but the black metal walls.
Things we could vote on:

Removing it
Making all the walls digable
Adding boulder beetles/ PC race zombies and skeles/ earth elementals/ whatever else fits
More minivaults/almost entirely minivaults
Reducing it's size
Buffing the minotaur but not letting it pick up the loot
Replacing the minotaur with a goblin king named Ziggy (who always carries a randart -something- named stardust)
Leaving it alone
Having it get harder over time with exits spawning randomly similar to the abyss

Also make Player Minotaur start in the middle of our Murderinth next to an exit and get spat out into D1 once he takes one.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Remember a while ago when vaults was pretty boring, and they added that change that made the vaults layout what it is today, like a huge amount of minivaults smooshed together? I personally think that would work great for labyrinths, just scaled down a bit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Make labyrinth map like normal and put enemies in it imo. Make it just like any other timed portal but retain the cool flavor. The flavor is the thing I liked about the maze anyways, not the process of doing the maze.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Make labyrinth map like normal and put enemies in it imo. Make it just like any other timed portal but retain the cool flavor. The flavor is the thing I liked about the maze anyways, not the process of doing the maze.

Honestly this isn't a bad solution either, having it map normally and removing the 'creaking of ancient gears' poo poo, but it'd still be fun for it to just have more minivaults/more enemies/ a different boss.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hello friends

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Feature request: please allow all mutations when eating purple, drinking potions of mutation, or getting mutated (i.e. demonspawn mutations etc)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
time for crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJ_JnMVdB4

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level 9 Summoning/Fire/Necromancy: The Crabocalypse
You know drat well what it does.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Apologies for the lack of progress over the last couple days, decided to play Path of Exile instead of develop in the spare time I had. I'll try to set aside some more time for dev work to at least knock out most of these simple things.

Gooncrawl dev update:
-Swamp worms and iron giants can now Scorpion you just like mainline DCSS. Gooncrawl bonus: projectile tiles by Metoron!

Edit:
Crab species poll still ongoing- https://goo.gl/forms/z7GX9QomecTe9Ovp1

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 11, 2018

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Come to think of it, is there any particular reason restore ability potions are pre-ID'd in gooncrawl?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont fuckin apologize for playing some videogames ya dork

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Not seen, a shadow dragon, an acid dragon and who knows what else. What the gently caress is a shard shrike, insanely dangerous even in extended, doing on D9 for literally any reason?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think theres some tile glitch happening atm

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Checking out my not actually dead yet morgue file, it says "34286 | D:9 | Noticed a shard shrike", and " 22004 | D:9 | Noticed a shadow dragon", so I've just been assuming it wasn't a tile glitch, along with the definitely real manticore I ran into on D8 that nearly murdered me.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Just posting to say to the poster asking about seeing Purgy outside of the sewer... Seen him on d4 two games in a row now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I am Otis posted:

Just posting to say to the poster asking about seeing Purgy outside of the sewer... Seen him on d4 two games in a row now.

I've seen him outside a few times, I never thought it was exclusive?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
FR: https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/994973077325959169?s=21

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Einwand posted:

Checking out my not actually dead yet morgue file, it says "34286 | D:9 | Noticed a shard shrike", and " 22004 | D:9 | Noticed a shadow dragon", so I've just been assuming it wasn't a tile glitch, along with the definitely real manticore I ran into on D8 that nearly murdered me.

Does your morgue file list vault names? That definitely looks like improper vault depth (or improper depth of monster spawns), not just a tiles glitch, if the morgue is reporting it. It might also be a problem in mainline DCSS, so they may be interested as well.

Edit: This name may only appear after you die, so no rush.

FulsomFrank posted:

I've seen him outside a few times, I never thought it was exclusive?

Purgy can definitely appear outside of sewers, it's just not that common compared to encountering a sewer layout that guarantees the spawn.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I've seen a few crazy vaults like that on early floors but they've always been sealed off and accessible only via digging or those one-way translocator pads. They seemed like a "come back later" thing (which you will never remember or care about even if you do remember).

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I'm assuming it was this, since the other vaults reference elf and the orc entrance, minmay_the_grid_triangle_9x9_recursive_2_mashed .
Never did get to see what was actually in there due to getting murdered by some bad rng to a hasted iron troll.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 11, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Einwand posted:

I'm assuming it was this, since the other vaults reference elf and the orc entrance, minmay_the_grid_triangle_9x9_recursive_2_mashed .
Never did get to see what was actually in there due to getting murdered by some bad rng to a hasted iron troll.

I was pretty sure it was going to be one of those. the_grid is a bunch of minmay (aka duvessa) vaults that just drop a bunch of out of depth monsters into a minivault generated container with prizes (that usually aren't worth the horribly out of depth monsters). They end up having a good chance of one monster that is awake and can open doors, which lets them spill out all over the floor and kill anyone who doesn't immediately see it and abandon the level to never return until they massively outlevel it (or the orb run).

I could just leave this alone if everyone is fine with a level occasionally being hosed up beyond all repair. Otherwise, one fix to the majority of the versions of the vault is to replace the doors with runed doors (although ugly, this would hold in the monsters). I would have to test and figure out where to place the Key Feature Replace line(s) to do so, so it would be a bit time consuming; it also wouldn't solve any of the vault variations that start opened without doors. Another solution is to manually create monster lists for every minivault instead of leaving it up to OOD code, but that's definitely way too much work compared to what I'm willing to do to fix it. A third solution is I can just cut out all the Dungeon level spawns, leaving it only to spawn in Depths and Elf. My final brainstorm is to just delete the file and say gently caress it to the lot.

Any preferences or other ideas?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time back in the day one of those vaults, or one like them, had a boring beetle which let all the monsters out

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remove the vaults

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
gently caress anything that duvessa made. What an elitist rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Speleothing posted:

gently caress anything that duvessa made.
:emptyquote:

minmay_lair_entry_lava seems to have spawned a fire crab on d8 which was rather uncool, game.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 12, 2018

• Locked thread