Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

THE BAR posted:

If I just want a cozy game on VH/Legendary, where do I go? I've been repeatedly playing dwarfs, but I'm too stupid and end getting overwhelmed by waaghs. Today I tried Last Defenders, but they really don't click with me. Do their ranged skinks get any better later on? My only "completed" game was Mortal Empires as High Elves on Hard (I gave up after killing Archaevon and running out of real opponents. It's the grand strategy mop-up curse).

I really like the bretts in ME. You’ve got a nice ramp up in challenge until you’ve unified France at which point you get to go crusading wherever you like until you hit 2k chivalry. It’s still my favorite of the non-horde non-norsca campaigns for these reasons. Plus, saving your dirty peasants with glorious cav charges is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh yes, I had tons of fun playing those in coop with a friend Empire. I loved how tall you built them, being able to freely amass a huge group of lords and take the fight to your enemies.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chameleon skinks are pretty okay but the real neato skinks are the ones riding dinosaurs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
The best skinks are the furry ones that snort warp cocaine

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Senor Dog posted:

I really like the bretts in ME. You’ve got a nice ramp up in challenge until you’ve unified France at which point you get to go crusading wherever you like until you hit 2k chivalry. It’s still my favorite of the non-horde non-norsca campaigns for these reasons. Plus, saving your dirty peasants with glorious cav charges is the best.

Plus, Bretonnia doesn't have an upkeep penalty for keeping multiple armies, which takes away a lot of the economic pressure from you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I'm having an issue with HE archers and Skaven garrisons, mainly that they for some reason just does not want to fire into the units on the battlements.

The archers here fired a couple of volleys early on, then stopped and wouldn't shoot any more no matter how much back and forth shuffling I did. If I told them to target the units directly, they would just march up to the wall and stand there.

Doesn't seem to happen when attacking any other factions garrison, so anyone else experienced this? I know units that needs direct line of sight, like handgunners, can have some issues, but this is the first time I've had it happen with archers.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 11, 2018

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Sounds like a LoS issue, sieges are a bit buggy like that.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

eww

Panfilo posted:

The best skinks are the furry ones that snort warp cocaine

helll yeh

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
any news regarding the norsca patch? if i remember this right, it should come out this month, no?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

botany posted:

any news regarding the norsca patch? if i remember this right, it should come out this month, no?

Signs point to it having some substantial changes, should be out in a few weeks.

I'm expecting it to be pretty massive as a "sorry we hosed up norsca and the dlc pipeline for 7 months" apology.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's not going to be much bigger I think, the old CA seems to be back in it's full ugliness.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's not going to be much bigger I think, the old CA seems to be back in it's full ugliness.

What? We literally already know it'll at least include brand new hunts for Norsca and a pretty substantial Dorf overhaul, and it'll be launching alongside a new DLC pack and probably a new, free LL too.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

What? We literally already know it'll at least include brand new hunts for Norsca and a pretty substantial Dorf overhaul, and it'll be launching alongside a new DLC pack and probably a new, free LL too.

Which is like 1/10th of the content put out in 7 months for WH1. I mean it's great and cool but if it's more than a couple months of content I'll be amazed.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
They're spread too thin imo. I'm not expecting anything massive in this patch but hopefully much greater frequency after this. Really hoping the content pipe picks up once this Norsca thing goes through and hopefully throb being out means they can divert more resources to Warhammer

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Haven’t they already said that the first FLC lord pack is coming out alongside Norsca?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Haven’t they already said that the first FLC lord pack is coming out alongside Norsca?

They confirmed a paid LL pack, but not anything FDLC related. Personally though I'd be more surprised if there isn't a free lord too cough Gor-Rok cough.

This summer should be interesting though, with 3K slated for a Fall 2018 release. So it'll either be another Warhammer drought sometime this summer as the reveal and hype blitz begins for 3K or CA balls outta control and we get a bunch of poo poo before then. My fear is that the Neo-Norsca update including all of this is a way to preempt the summer drought.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

They confirmed a paid LL pack, but not anything FDLC related. Personally though I'd be more surprised if there isn't a free lord too cough Gor-Rok cough.

This summer should be interesting though, with 3K slated for a Fall 2018 release. So it'll either be another Warhammer drought sometime this summer as the reveal and hype blitz begins for 3K or CA balls outta control and we get a bunch of poo poo before then. My fear is that the Neo-Norsca update including all of this is a way to preempt the summer drought.

We'll get more WH2 content after they announce 3K delayed to 2019.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

tretch already came out

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Apparently the DLC has been leaked;

Sadly it’s just more elf poo poo :(

https://www.gamesear.com/news/total-war-warhammer-2-next-dlc-appears-to-have-been-leaked-the-queen-and-the-crone

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man I was totally all in on warhammer I, my favorite TW game, bought every DLC. But 2 really hasnt done it for me and there's been such a content drought i havent even had it installed for months. feels like TW1 had new poo poo just coming out all the time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

queeb posted:

man I was totally all in on warhammer I, my favorite TW game, bought every DLC. But 2 really hasnt done it for me and there's been such a content drought i havent even had it installed for months. feels like TW1 had new poo poo just coming out all the time.

I remember a couple of months ago CA stated that they decided to put out slower DLC for Warhammer 2 primarily because some people whined that the first Warhammer had too much DLC. Not even kidding.

Obviously the Norsca gently caress-up happened, but it's pretty obvious at this point that 2018 was meant to be all historical all the time, with the occasional grudging nod thrown to Warhammer when they can be bothered to squeeze in an announcement between giving every piece of new Rome 2 DLC (there's more coming) at least four full weeks of loving attention.

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 12, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My GPU sort of shat itself shortly before the Tomb Kings DLC releaseand I've only just now replaced it so that I can start playing this game again. It's pretty shocking to hear that there's been essentially no change in the game during that time. I guess CA really must be stretched too thin.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Basically at this point, 8 months after the release of Warhammer 1, CA had released one race pack, two campaign packs, two lord packs, and a shitload of FLC including 4 FLC Lords, with a free Race Pack and another FLC lord just a month away.

In the 8 months after Warhammer 2 release we got one campaign pack, a smattering of mostly trash-tier FLC+ one Skaven Lord, and around the corner is finally the first Lord Pack and Preorder DLC. Plus 2 Rome 2 DLCs and a standalone Atilla Expansion and another Rome 2 Campaign DLC coming up soon and Three Kingdoms coming later this year.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

madmac posted:

Basically at this point, 8 months after the release of Warhammer 1, CA had released one race pack, two campaign packs, two lord packs, and a shitload of FLC including 4 FLC Lords, with a free Race Pack and another FLC lord just a month away.

In the 8 months after Warhammer 2 release we got one campaign pack, a smattering of mostly trash-tier FLC+ one Skaven Lord, and around the corner is finally the first Lord Pack and Preorder DLC. Plus 2 Rome 2 DLCs and a standalone Atilla Expansion and another Rome 2 Campaign DLC coming up soon and Three Kingdoms coming later this year.

Well yeah we know this. It is because Norsca hosed up and could not be ported to Warhammer 2 without them making it from scratch again. Which they decided to do and so they apologized and said sorry but everythign is going to have to slow down a bit until we finish getting Norsca ready.

If they had managed to get Norsca in when they intended to we would have gotten a much better schedule.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well yeah we know this. It is because Norsca hosed up and could not be ported to Warhammer 2 without them making it from scratch again. Which they decided to do and so they apologized and said sorry but everythign is going to have to slow down a bit until we finish getting Norsca ready.

If they had managed to get Norsca in when they intended to we would have gotten a much better schedule.

Nah, Norsca is part of it, but their community manager has literally said it was always the plan for Warhammer 2 to get less stuff within the same time frame, shortly after responding to a similar comparison a couple months ago by saying "In retrospect, I wish we never released DLC so quickly for Warhammer 1."

The schedule speaks for itself, even without Norsca there's no room to cram in Warhammer DLC faster than once every three months or so with all of their historical releases sucking up marketing space. Norsca doesn't come out this month because they needed five months to do it, but because they needed more than one month to finish it before Desert Kingdoms and Thrones blocked out March and April. Which is also why they've had enough extra time to throw in a Lord Pack and some extra freebies because they had to do something while twiddling their thumbs for that long.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

madmac posted:

Nah, Norsca is part of it, but their community manager has literally said it was always the plan for Warhammer 2 to get less stuff within the same time frame, shortly after responding to a similar comparison a couple months ago by saying "In retrospect, I wish we never released DLC so quickly for Warhammer 1."

The schedule speaks for itself, even without Norsca there's no room to cram in Warhammer DLC faster than once every three months or so with all of their historical releases sucking up marketing space. Norsca doesn't come out this month because they needed five months to do it, but because they needed more than one month to finish it before Desert Kingdoms and Thrones blocked out March and April. Which is also why they've had enough extra time to throw in a Lord Pack and some extra freebies because they had to do something while twiddling their thumbs for that long.

This continues to be the dumbest take.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

This continues to be the dumbest take.

If you hate facts I guess so.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

madmac posted:

If you hate facts I guess so.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're referring to the following posts and

quote:

Everyone was very upset when Norsca and RoR were not in mortal empires and I even got a great number of personal messages, so we have obviously prioritised that - even when we announced Tomb Kings, which we'd been working on before Norsca, people complained that we were "expecting" them to pay for content when content they had already paid for (Norsca) was not in the game.

quote:

No problem - of course we are correcting our mistake with Norsca and it's nice that people want more content but honestly the sheer negativity is really beginning to be draining and I almost wish we had been more spread out with our WH1 releases in retrospect. Hopefully this will help.

quote:

As I said, I totally find it great that people are so enthusiastic about it and want more content! It's nice to have passionate players. Just maybe people could... chill a little sometimes haha

quote:

But we don't announce new DLCs before their announce date. We never have. TK was released a month ago and we've been talking about 3K, Thrones and now Desert Kingdoms - why would we talk about an unannounced DLC that won't be focused on for months?

quote:

We used to give more definite time frames and now we don't anymore because whenever they had to change for whatever reason, people got really upset. So I appreciate that people do not like the vagueness, but it is something I now have to do to avoid outrage if things are subject to change.

There is legit nothing in this series of posts about CA planning for Warhammer 2 to have a slower development cycle, and she doesn't say anything about delaying Warhammer DLC in order to market other games. What she does say is that she wished that fans would be less angry about differences between Warhammer 1 and 2 DLC release schedules, and that apparent focuses on ToB or 3K are because they just don't have any WH2 DLC that they are comfortable announcing.

But whatever, you do you.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Actually not the posts I'm referencing, but nice try I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/82ni21/comparing_release_dates_of_tww1_dlc_to_2/dvbibf6/?context=3

quote:

While some of this is due to focusing on Norsca, we also got a lot of feedback that people didn't like that we sold DLC so soon after launch with WH1, so we were trying to take that into account

quote:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we decided not to release as much in as short a time span, not whether or not we changed the amount.

And no, they will never explicitly say that schedules for one product are impacted by schedules for other products especially in terms of marketing coverage but you'd have to be braindead to think otherwise. If you look at a monthly release schedule and 2/3rds of them are booked for other releases then yeah, Warhammer 2 DLC isn't going to be released those months.

I mean look, all I'm really saying here is that in reality, because of Norsca we are probably one release behind, getting LP#1 this month instead of LP#2. It's sheer fantasy to think that if Norsca wasn't fumbled that we would have Warhammer DLC releases between Feb and May when those months were very obviously devoted to marketing other games/updates. It also wasn't Norsca that screwed up the release of ME or made the first waves of FLC we've gotten pretty lame, except for the obvious last minute substitution of 4 multiplayer maps in place of a High Elf LL back in February.

madmac fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 12, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like there is probably a bit of warhammer 2 burnout because it was undeniably released half-finished with a few months for mortal empires to get added and then a few more months to add tomb kings to replace vampire placeholders and a couple more weeks to finally get norsca and the DLC regiments and even the warhammer 1 vanilla faction balance passes.

Warhammer 1 had constant factions and lords added or balance passes that made the same faction campaigns feel different month to month and gave it a lot of replayability, like a empire campaign at release compared to 7 months after release was a wildly different experience and gelt went from the running for worst lord in the game to probably the most overpowered faction bonuses and army wiping magic.

Probably doesn't help that the auto resolve feels broken for the last few months and if it isn't dwarves covering the world it's a handful of tier 1 archer units getting 500+ kills per auto resolve while outnumbered 10 to 1.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 12, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

eh, who cares

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 12, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I will consider that confirmation of my theory that they planned to release this originally in International Women's Day in March, but the Norsca gently caress-up delayed the whole pipeline for TWW2.

I don't doubt the intention of having more paced DLC for the second game, specially when alternating historical releases, but the original timeline was clearly to release Tomb Kings in time for Christmas. Desert Kingdoms could then have come in February, with the Make War Not Love FLC maps being there to make hype for Allarielle's release in March 8th.

Also Mortal Empires was within a month of the game's release, not a few months.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

How can this one DLC be so much harder to implement than the others? If it's because it was the last one for TWW1, how does that explain it?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

THE BAR posted:

How can this one DLC be so much harder to implement than the others? If it's because it was the last one for TWW1, how does that explain it?

As has been stated before, the issue was a split code-base when one team worked on Norsca for Game 1 while Game 2 was being finished. The idea management must have had at the time was that the split would be easy to merge. It wasn't, and that's the source of the delay.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 12, 2018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

THE BAR posted:

They were developing it alongside 2 and there's more to it than what I'm about to say but essentially they thought it would integrate just fine with 2/mortal empires when it came time to add it and were very wrong but by the time they realised that it was too far along to rework any schedules. So like, a few months after 2 came out they had to put out a blog post explaining all this, hold their hands up and say "we hosed up pretty bad here" and here we are like 7 months later haha.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

As has been stated before, the issue was a split code-base when one team worked on Nosca for Game 1 while Game 2 was being finished. The idea management must have had at the time was that the split would be easy to merge. It wasn't, and that's the source of the delay.

thebardyspoon posted:

They were developing it alongside 2 and there's more to it than what I'm about to say but essentially they thought it would integrate just fine with 2/mortal empires when it came time to add it and were very wrong but by the time they realised that it was too far along to rework any schedules. So like, a few months after 2 came out they had to put out a blog post explaining all this, hold their hands up and say "we hosed up pretty bad here" and here we are like 7 months later haha.

It would've gone faster had they not already distributed everyone to different projects, I assume. Still, seven months sounds like they've attached a skeleton crew to something that clearly clogs up everything else, making it a priority in my eyes.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

THE BAR posted:

To add upon what others have said: TWW1 and TWW2 apparently diverged so much in key places after the codebases split that to get Norsca into TWW2 they had to basically do it all over again almost from scratch and it was already one of their most complex DLCs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Space Skeleton posted:

To add upon what others have said: TWW1 and TWW2 apparently diverged so much in key places after the codebases split that to get Norsca into TWW2 they had to basically do it all over again almost from scratch and it was already one of their most complex DLCs.

They also mentioned that a lot of the unique mechanics of Norsca apparently involved messing with the engine to do non-standard things compared to other factions, which made things a lot worse when paired up with the divergent code bases.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Anyway it's been so long since I played Norsca that it'll effectively feel like getting a new faction anyway :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's also worth pointing out that the release order of the DLC is not necessarily the order in which they begin development. Tomb Kings began development before Norsca did and were largely developed by a separate team. It's plausible that Norsca isn't harder to implement than other factions, and we're just seeing what the typical development time is for a bigger WH DLC.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 12, 2018