Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
The silenced golden pistol is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Withnail posted:

why is this game so loving frustrating?
Because unless you get a full team with a mic they'll all land in the most populated named place and RACE towards danger while gathering as much as they can and not sharing.
In any mode I can crack the top ten by being cautious, sneaking, and not shooting people from 500 miles away. I've taken out entire teams by myself by just not running at them full tilt shooting a shotgun which is, apparently, a strategy no one else has thought of. I just don't have the reflexes for the end game though. With a good team to compensate we always get first place but I always get shot by some constantly jumping guy who has memorized shot damage ratios runs up behind me putting me in 9th place.
I got frustrated last game and just set up a trap in the ditch, killed NINE guys (before Thanos invaded and killed me with hand power before I could even turn to face him). It was cheap but I felt better.

Also don't join stranger's firefight, just wait for them to finish and mop up. I mean come on. I hate pubbie teams.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Housh posted:

Yeah. My nephew was just looking at an emote and accidentally bought it using v-bucks on my account. He was in tears and afraid to show me. I told him it’s ok and we’ll earn them back on the battle pass.

They really need a confirmation but I guess they don’t care once funds are switched to their currency.

a cool uncle

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
This 50 v 50 weekend sure is an easy way to get 2nd place.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I always enjoy 50v50 because the chaos gives so many amazing opportunities. Like half a dozen enemies crowded in to a 1x1 box waiting on a supply drop and oh hey I just happen to have a grenade launcher and some splodes to share with them. :getin:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The challenges are tough this week, for example there are no loving chests in greasy grove

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ossipago posted:

This 50 v 50 weekend sure is an easy way to get 2nd place.

Yeah, I just noticed it was counting towards the "Place 12 in Squads" challenge :bubblewoop:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

prom candy posted:

The challenges are tough this week, for example there are no loving chests in greasy grove

http://www.fortnitechests.info

Has the same number as a bunch of locations

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

prom candy posted:

it spawns 2-3 on average per game in my experience, the most common ones being under the small gazebo and inside that one dog house, but yeah it's not quite like the graveyard that consistently has at least 5, that might be confirmation bias, but whatevas

Also this is a pretty good week to get the explosives kills, and sniper damage if you need them since thanos mode ups the odds of good stuff, and 50 v 50 means you're more able to hang back and use gimmick weapons.

Somehow I've already wracked up about a dozen explosives kills (well technically 2-3 didn't count since they were from fall damage, or a hail of my teammates bullets after we blew up their fort)
my favorite was a duo landing in the watch tower near lonely lodge with me and charging me since they figured they could pick axe me in the confined space, so I threw sticky bombs at the floor and downed/blew up all 3 of us, then we fell and since they both went down they instantly died and then my duo buddy came and picked me up.

For some reason people really do ignore grenades not instantly killing them or even forget that you dying doesn't despawn them I'm constantly getting a kill by spamming grenades at out feet when someone is about to shotgun kill me. SO if you're having trouble getting explosives kills try that!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IME, posthumous kills don't increment challenges, sadly. I would've finished explosive kills a lot sooner that way.

InsertPotPun posted:

Because unless you get a full team with a mic they'll all land in the most populated named place and RACE towards danger while gathering as much as they can and not sharing.
In any mode I can crack the top ten by being cautious, sneaking, and not shooting people from 500 miles away. I've taken out entire teams by myself by just not running at them full tilt shooting a shotgun which is, apparently, a strategy no one else has thought of. I just don't have the reflexes for the end game though. With a good team to compensate we always get first place but I always get shot by some constantly jumping guy who has memorized shot damage ratios runs up behind me putting me in 9th place.
I got frustrated last game and just set up a trap in the ditch, killed NINE guys (before Thanos invaded and killed me with hand power before I could even turn to face him). It was cheap but I felt better.

Also don't join stranger's firefight, just wait for them to finish and mop up. I mean come on. I hate pubbie teams.
What's really fun is playing 50v50 and having 49 useless squadmates instead of only 3. :buddy:

I think I lost every single 50v50 game but one today, because every single time my team's grand plan was: Run around like idiots in the lowest possible spot in the circle, building tiny forts that are still miles shorter than the other team's just over there oh whoops everyone died somehow?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

50v50 is good for the location challenges and for the pistol eliminations...

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

it spawns 2-3 on average per game in my experience, the most common ones being under the small gazebo and inside that one dog house, but yeah it's not quite like the graveyard that consistently has at least 5, that might be confirmation bias, but whatevas

Also this is a pretty good week to get the explosives kills, and sniper damage if you need them since thanos mode ups the odds of good stuff, and 50 v 50 means you're more able to hang back and use gimmick weapons.

Somehow I've already wracked up about a dozen explosives kills (well technically 2-3 didn't count since they were from fall damage, or a hail of my teammates bullets after we blew up their fort)
my favorite was a duo landing in the watch tower near lonely lodge with me and charging me since they figured they could pick axe me in the confined space, so I threw sticky bombs at the floor and downed/blew up all 3 of us, then we fell and since they both went down they instantly died and then my duo buddy came and picked me up.

For some reason people really do ignore grenades not instantly killing them or even forget that you dying doesn't despawn them I'm constantly getting a kill by spamming grenades at out feet when someone is about to shotgun kill me. SO if you're having trouble getting explosives kills try that!

I got lucky for my explosive kills. Threw two stickies at two guys who were in a shotgun battle and blew both of them up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My final explosive kill credit involved suicide rushing another dude as the circle swept in on the both of us (Thanos mode, natch) and sticking a plunger right to his face.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kiranamos posted:

http://www.fortnitechests.info

Has the same number as a bunch of locations

Oh nice, thanks. I'll try Thanos mode for the explosive kills. This battle pass system really has a way of making you want to do the challenges. I need a battle pass for my life.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

prom candy posted:

... I need a battle pass for my life.

loving same :pray:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

prom candy posted:

Oh nice, thanks. I'll try Thanos mode for the explosive kills. This battle pass system really has a way of making you want to do the challenges. I need a battle pass for my life.

Life has no cool skins or dances for me to unlock

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Either Thanos’ laser beam or punch counts as explosive damage (possibly both?). The first time I got to be Thanos I killed 4 or 5 dudes and when the game was finished I’d completed that challenge (and I was on zero out of three before hand).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also, the minigun counts as an explosive weapon.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

John Murdoch posted:

IME, posthumous kills don't increment challenges, sadly. I would've finished explosive kills a lot sooner that way.

What's really fun is playing 50v50 and having 49 useless squadmates instead of only 3. :buddy:

I think I lost every single 50v50 game but one today, because every single time my team's grand plan was: Run around like idiots in the lowest possible spot in the circle, building tiny forts that are still miles shorter than the other team's just over there oh whoops everyone died somehow?
Ugh. You SEE the flight paths: if your team starts closer to the circle you land and start setting up defenses, if theirs is you mass up and swarm. I think I like 20 v better.

What I'd really like is to force a base assault by giving one team a headstart on building and the other starting further away. Or a "fog" mode where visibility is reduced so sniping and zerg rushing is inadvisable. Something that plays to my strengths.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait do the challenges expire at the end of the week?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

prom candy posted:

Wait do the challenges expire at the end of the week?

no

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
They just need to stop with these stupid 50v50 & Thanos poo poo and bring back the best ltm, snipers only.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

They just need to stop with these stupid 50v50 & Thanos poo poo and bring back the best ltm, snipers only.

And 20v20, etc

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

oh well then, back to procrastinating for me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

keyframe posted:

Crossbows only.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Crossbows only.

Slappers only, temple

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

santanotreal posted:

Slappers only, temple

Pistols only, health -4, aka realism mode

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems they changed the gauntlet again, now it's spawning pretty much right away.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Apple Craft posted:

Looking for friends goons to play with and Discord is empty and lame. IGN: Nullunit

added you, 'skoptsi'

prom candy posted:

was this ever a thing because it should be

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

prom candy posted:

Health -10, facility, what're you some kind of animal

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

keyframe posted:

50 v 50 is popular with folks because it's a cheat mode/easy catch up for the challenges folks are having trouble with, also it's like when people would play '5 minutes no rush' starcraft.
The point is to let folks who normally don't see end game see a crazy cranked up version of it with even bigger forts and more chaos coming from every side.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’m not sure what happened earlier but we were 50v50 and it got down to us leading 14v1 yet the final enemy somehow built so high that we were all in the storm but they survived a millisecond longer than us to take the win :psyduck:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m not sure what happened earlier but we were 50v50 and it got down to us leading 14v1 yet the final enemy somehow built so high that we were all in the storm but they survived a millisecond longer than us to take the win :psyduck:

People will stack up on just med kits and place a double campfire so that they can outlive the entire other team as the circle closes

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Takes some luck but you can also build so high that Thanos can't reach you in the final circle :laffo:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Deadbeat Poetry posted:

added you, 'skoptsi'

was this ever a thing because it should be

Yeah we played this mode a lot after we got a taste of like CS and Rainbow 6. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think it worked out that most guns would kill in 1 with a headshot and 2-3 for body shots.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
god drat the positional audio in this game is horrible

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

That is honestly true in every shooter I've played in the last few years, I dunno why it's so hard to do sound.

I've been thinking about picking up a cheapo sound card to see if that makes a difference at all in any game, I doubt it, but for like <$100 I wouldn't mind checking it out

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't think I've ever actually seen someone consider buying a sound card that wasn't into music production.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Overwatch has excellent positional audio. I've heard R6 siege does as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

angerbeet posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen someone consider buying a sound card that wasn't into music production.

I used to roll with one back in the early 2000s when I played CS somewhat competitively, it actually made a huge difference back then, I doubt it does anymore.