Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I only watch it on Laserdisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Flight of the Intruder Willem Dafoe is competing to be cooler than Danny Glover.

His co-pilot screams "Jesus Christ" and he's like "flow with it"

I'm sure I'm reaching but Dafoe has a history of Christ references that precede this so

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Clive Owen's apartment in Anon is completely devoid of pictures or other wall decorations. Sure the character is a loner, but to me it also spoke to the ubiquity of the technology - if you can display most anything you want, wherever you want, what's the point of hanging static pictures?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FreshFeesh posted:

Clive Owen's apartment in Anon is completely devoid of pictures or other wall decorations. Sure the character is a loner, but to me it also spoke to the ubiquity of the technology - if you can display most anything you want, wherever you want, what's the point of hanging static pictures?

Digital picture frames exist.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Viggo Mortenson and Brad Pitt can just gently caress right off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For more "films referencing other films", the Mumakil scene at Pelennor Fields in Return of the King features an instance where Eowyn and Merry ride between the legs of one of the Oliphaunts. Now I may be stretching comparisons here, but I always thought this was a visual shoutout to The Lost World: Jurassic Park where a biker races between the legs of an Apatosaurus.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Adult Illiteracy posted:

Viggo Mortenson can just gently caress right off.

You are objectively wrong if you ever find yourself saying this

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Adult Illiteracy posted:

Viggo Mortenson and Brad Pitt can just gently caress right off.

Based on your name I thought you'd be a huge fan

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Infinity War when Thanos and Dr. Strange are duking it out in their magic fight they keep reflecting attacks at each other. Thanos throws a lump of rocks at Strange and then Strange turns it into a fireball or whatever and sends it back. At one point though Strange turns Thanos' attack into butterflies and it looks really cool but you see Thanos duck and flinch at first before he realises it's harmless

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One thing I noticed on my second viewing* of Infinity War is that Mantis is doing a lot of things when she's not the focus. During the intro of the Guardians, Star-Lord says something along the lines of putting their game face on and that prompts her to do a pissed off expression. Later on there is a scene where the Guardians are sneaking around and she is either doing finger guns or putting her dukes up, because she doesn't use actual weapons.

I also noticed that Thanos' powers usually correspond with one of the infinity gems, but that probably isn't very subtle. It is more a case of me missing the obvious the first time around.

*I pay a monthly fee so I could watch it an infinite amount of times. Probably will stick to two times tho.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Twitch posted:

It wasn't in the version that was on TV and VHS in the 90s, but every DVD and Blu Ray I've ever seen of Highlander is the extended cut.

And if I'm remembering correctly, it is one of those movies that had a significantly different cut in the UK.

Yeah, that scene and line were in every UK cut. I'm guessing you lot didn't get it until the Immortal Edition DVD, which had basically everything on it including the surviving photos from the excised sword fight in the computer centre.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

One thing I noticed on my second viewing* of Infinity War is that Mantis is doing a lot of things when she's not the focus. During the intro of the Guardians, Star-Lord says something along the lines of putting their game face on and that prompts her to do a pissed off expression. Later on there is a scene where the Guardians are sneaking around and she is either doing finger guns or putting her dukes up, because she doesn't use actual weapons.

I also noticed that Thanos' powers usually correspond with one of the infinity gems, but that probably isn't very subtle. It is more a case of me missing the obvious the first time around.

*I pay a monthly fee so I could watch it an infinite amount of times. Probably will stick to two times tho.

Yeah the different gems light up in combinations when he does stuff.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mierenneuker posted:

She is either doing finger guns or putting her dukes up, because she doesn't use actual weapons.

Isn't she doing her best mantis impression?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah the different gems light up in combinations when he does stuff.

Which makes the intro fight against The Hulk all the better, because you know its pure Thanos.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Not Operator posted:

Which makes the intro fight against The Hulk all the better, because you know its pure Thanos.

You never see the power stone light up during that fight? I know he already has it at that point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

In Infinity War when Thanos and Dr. Strange are duking it out in their magic fight they keep reflecting attacks at each other. Thanos throws a lump of rocks at Strange and then Strange turns it into a fireball or whatever and sends it back. At one point though Strange turns Thanos' attack into butterflies and it looks really cool but you see Thanos duck and flinch at first before he realises it's harmless

Spoiler alert thanos is not too bright

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

syscall girl posted:

The director apparently just confirmed that Thanos didn't bother ensuring he himself was spared during the purge, and that's why he looks so surprised after he snaps his fingers.

Really, seriously, the guy just wants to be a farmer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

For more "films referencing other films", the Mumakil scene at Pelennor Fields in Return of the King features an instance where Eowyn and Merry ride between the legs of one of the Oliphaunts. Now I may be stretching comparisons here, but I always thought this was a visual shoutout to The Lost World: Jurassic Park where a biker races between the legs of an Apatosaurus.

How could that be if the lord of the rings happened before the dinosaurs... checkmate athiests

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Biplane posted:

How could that be if the lord of the rings happened before the dinosaurs... checkmate athiests

Clearly Middle Earth just takes place on Laurasia and the Undying Lands are really Gondwana. It was olden times so they got north south east and west reversed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but magic butterflies could have razor-sharp poisonous wings or whatever.

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I think it's Thanos turning the attack into butterflies and the flinch is because he wasn't sure if he would be able to

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Danlee posted:

I think it's Thanos turning the attack into butterflies and the flinch is because he wasn't sure if he would be able to

That makes more sense than what I said.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Danlee posted:

Yeah that makes a lot more sense lol, still a neat detail all the same though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Butterflies are usually super symbolic in everything I see them in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They do have quite an effect on things

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Affect

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Affleck

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Thanos has ben affleckted by those butterflies

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Fantastic

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

No, he can't appear in the MCU yet.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Thanos has ben affleckted by those butterflies

More like oldpunless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Besesoth posted:

No, he can't appear in the MCU yet.

He has a theoretical degree in physics.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Avengers: Infinity War, Spiderman uses the powers of a spider to do whatever a spider can.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MariusLecter posted:

Avengers: Infinity War, Spiderman uses the powers of a spider to do whatever a spider can.

I didn't see the movie, but I read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and it seems like a lot of people running around solving a mystery. I feel like they could have used the help of the world's greatest detective, Batman.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Just saw this while browsing. Everyone freaks out when Cadet Barbara turns around except Tacklebury. He's a gun nut who knows the gun is safe because the cadet never chambered another shell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vicissitude posted:

Just saw this while browsing. Everyone freaks out when Cadet Barbara turns around except Tacklebury. He's a gun nut who knows the gun is safe because the cadet never chambered another shell.

If you paste the url of the actual video file (gifv) then it will embed and play in your post.

https://i.imgur.com/PbA1kuM.gifv

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Ah, I hadn't realized. Thanks :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wtf, subtle jokes in a Police Academy movie?! My world is coming apart at the seams.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I watched all Police Academy movies over two days with some friends and a lot of booze a while back. I highly recommend this, every time you think it couldn't possibly get any worse the next movie is right there to immediately prove you wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have great fondness for the first few but yeah they get real bad