Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

J posted:

Don't need super armor to fish and chop timber :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think it's a bit silly they did the defense part of the change and now people need to wait a week in this environment for them to make the CC part of the change. Kind of hard to tell how PVP will play out with only half the system in place but it doesn't feel great for obvious reasons.

That said I'm a pve casual scrub so this doesn't really affect me as much until I get into hard PVE and get crushed by gyfins or something lol. I have a siege friend who mains the same class as me so I'll see how he does this week and through upcoming changes. I have a feeling mystic has lost a lot of effectiveness in large scale pvp.

I do think it'll make preawakenings more important for a lot of classes but along with more knowledge/skill investment it also requires more actual skill point investment. I was around for pre-awakening +15/TRI gear days and it was different than now but the gear gap was a lot lower inbetween people as well. Oh well, hope some people quit and I'll finally get lucky on some boss gear!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Also it's a patch for the Japanese version, so who knows what will change when it actually hits this version.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

What? We got basically the same patch, and KR got it today as well. link

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Didn't think they were putting patches like that out on every version simultaneously. When did they start doing that?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Uh, basically a week or two ago. It's definitely new that they're doing these sweeping changes to JP/NA/EU/KR at once. There are some versions that are behind, and compared to JP/KR we're missing things like Lahn and Drieghan so we don't quite have full parity. But these SA/FG changes are the same.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
They started doing skill balance changes to all regions within a week or two of each other months ago. It's content that's massively delayed

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Clocks posted:

Uh, basically a week or two ago. It's definitely new that they're doing these sweeping changes to JP/NA/EU/KR at once. There are some versions that are behind, and compared to JP/KR we're missing things like Lahn and Drieghan so we don't quite have full parity. But these SA/FG changes are the same.
You left out the most important thing we're missing. We're missing some farming changes that happened ages ago.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm not sure what to ask, but: just dipping my toe in here, already feeling kind of overwhelmed. I gather the levelling/progression/XP curve was hosed-with at some point; am I going to have to bumrush to level 50+ before I start encountering enemies that don't basically just die instantly? Is there anything else worth messing with along the way, or will I just be filling my inventory up with unnecessary crap? (And relatedly: I'm assuming I should hang on to the Armor/Weapon enhancing crystals until I have something actually worth enhancing?)

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah, just save all of your memory fragments, black stones, crystal shards and learn about the game at your own pace. But you basically won't make a ton of money or really even understand your class until you get to awakening at 56. Get in the guild and ask for help and we can help out

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hint: You want mobs to die in one hit. Not oneshotting things is inefficient.

Welcome to Grinding Online.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
So tonight we ran into another smallish guild we probably could have done well against.
If there's interest in it, we should just make Sunday node war a real thing where we actually try.
We had a better turn out last Sunday, today was just 4 people.
Gear doesn't matter too much, especially if we actually try to defend base etc.
If there's interest, we should definitely make it a thing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TVDinna posted:

today was just 4 people.

lol

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is this for the goon guild or some other guild tvdinna is in? because wouldn't you guys just be hurting yourselves if you ever did get a node because then you'd be deccable?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the breakdown is that node war isn't even profitable up til tier 3 castles because to adequately win any node worth anything you'd need to expect your guild to expend about as much in elixirs and other junk to win, unless you based your entire strategy on trying to snipe nodes every single week. it's all just for fun really

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Futaba Anzu posted:

the breakdown is that node war isn't even profitable up til tier 3 castles because to adequately win any node worth anything you'd need to expect your guild to expend about as much in elixirs and other junk to win, unless you based your entire strategy on trying to snipe nodes every single week. it's all just for fun really

We're only really trying to snipe but other people are doing the same thing. Pretty sure the guild we ran into today was not a real T2 guild since only one of them seemed to have anything close to soft-cap gear and they only had about 8 people on our base before we left

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What, besides trading which I will probably just end up leveling, can you invest money into to get a return? I'm sitting on ~1.5bi and besides 20m on ores to process overnight or while at work and dropping money on cooking stuff to do a semi-afk contribution point grind on weekends while also making a tidy profit, I can't find a way to dump my money into making more money. I managed to make 700k flipping a 50m item on the AH, but that was a one time thing. My money is sitting there wasting away.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 16, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

invest energy into rolling and rerolling god workers in grana and calpheon

J
Jun 10, 2001

It's tough to invest silver into the market to make more silver in this game. Even if you find markets that let you beat the really high marketplace tax, typically those markets can't handle too much volume and if you try to go hard on it you'll crash the market. Then you end up having to track a bunch of different markets to diversify your investments, aka :effort:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Khorne posted:

What, besides trading which I will probably just end up leveling, can you invest money into to get a return? I'm sitting on ~1.5bi and besides 20m on ores to process overnight or while at work and dropping money on cooking stuff to do a semi-afk contribution point grind on weekends while also making a tidy profit, I can't find a way to dump my money into making more money. I managed to make 700k flipping a 50m item on the AH, but that was a one time thing. My money is sitting there wasting away.

Make a bunch of level 56 witches with pri gear (minus awakened weapon) then park them near boss spawns. Whenever the boss spawns just log in the right witch and spam Multi-Magic Missile on the boss at max range until it dies. This is probably the best form of income in the whole game. When I was active with it I made a few hundred million a day just sitting on the boss discord and logging in the right Witch depending on what boss spawned.

Getting a Witch to 50 takes about 2 hours during a weekend without the grind hour in your pri gear. Then head to Helms. 2 grind hours at helms will have you at 56.

This is also a great way to get a bunch of combat fame which will increase your daily silver income (especially if you take a break from the game and return later)

Katt fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 17, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

When Lahn?! Lahn now and next week!

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/1362

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Has Pearl mentioned why they decided to complete change all of the games class balance apparently on a whim?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They thought the game was bad or something. I don't think any of them played enough to know why it was bad.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

basically ???? or if you want to go conspiracy theory route, something something make it easier for xbox edition

I don't really care but this week they really dicked over ranger and valk (in PVE, nevermind PVP) so if they keep up these lovely weekly drips of changes then they're going to hemorrhage users something fierce. edit: oh and witchard damage seems to be bugged in some way LOL

Personally I'm super mad that JP got the farming QoL changes KR has had since 2017 and we still don't have them.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah I'm mildly annoyed about being cc'ed by monsters now but it's kind of ridiculous that every class was immune to cc when casting any of their main skills. That being said I'm still going to play and I don't do much pvp to begin with

J
Jun 10, 2001

Every single class forum now has a "this class is dead" thread on it. Make everything feel like poo poo --> profit??

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It's part of the process of turning the game into a 16 bit side scroller so they can get into the mobile market.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

stump collector posted:

Yeah I'm mildly annoyed about being cc'ed by monsters now but it's kind of ridiculous that every class was immune to cc when casting any of their main skills. That being said I'm still going to play and I don't do much pvp to begin with

I remember Pre-Awk Sorcs were the most broken pvp class cause they had a high damage skill with CC + frontal guard and it took them like 6 months to nerf the skill. After awakening everyone has it so its "balanced" but it still doesn't change the fact that it's terrible design wise when the main skills literally have everything, like where can you go from there? All you can do is adjust damage and resource values since half the skills in the game only has soft cooldowns.

Granted the balance changes are terrible since it's gimping everyone's PvE as well, where the goal is to make the player feel like a Dynasty Warrior character and just mow down hordes of fodder.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wassbix posted:

I remember Pre-Awk Sorcs were the most broken pvp class cause they had a high damage skill with CC + frontal guard and it took them like 6 months to nerf the skill. After awakening everyone has it so its "balanced" but it still doesn't change the fact that it's terrible design wise when the main skills literally have everything, like where can you go from there? All you can do is adjust damage and resource values since half the skills in the game only has soft cooldowns.

Granted the balance changes are terrible since it's gimping everyone's PvE as well, where the goal is to make the player feel like a Dynasty Warrior character and just mow down hordes of fodder.

With all the changes they're making because 1-shotting stuff "Isn't rewarding" in the dev notes, it appears they may no longer feel that should be the PvE experience.

E: mind you whats actually not rewarding is the shitass loot drops......

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I had a whole massive post here about pre-awakened sorc and darkflame (since I mained one back in the days and was in a siege guild with it) but meh, that's in the past. All I'll say is I definitely have sympathy for classes whose playstyle or PVE damage got completely ruined (rangers, valk). I also feel like the sweeping balance changes we've gotten so far don't really take into consideration how each individual class plays so I'll be waiting to see how they do individual balance changes to see if they even know what they're doing.

quote:

I think in a way this is one thing they should work on balancing. For every power-bracket there are really only a few great spots for exp or money (or preferably both). Pre-valencia you just kinda do whatever in mediah (or I guess you could go do Polly's or Fadus, but mediah gets you started with asula drops if you're new), in the <220AP range otherwise you will probably be doing nagas/fogans/bandits (former two for exp w/marni stones, bandits gives more money but slightly less exp and is more contested) or I guess maybe doing pirates or sausans for an attempt at money (both of which are annoying in their own way to actually juggle the loot). 220+ you can do stuff like manshaums or gyfin or maybe Aakman/Hystria at particularly high AP if you're a specific class. But like, that's kind of it.

Meanwhile there are lots of areas that are either like, bad density, or bad exp, or bad money, or bad drops, or way out of the way, or all of the above, so everyone just crowds into these few areas and barely bothers doing something else. On the one hand it does serve to make old continents not obsolete but on the other hand you have kind of wide gaps instead of a smoother gradient in terms of places to go.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Digital_Jesus posted:

With all the changes they're making because 1-shotting stuff "Isn't rewarding" in the dev notes, it appears they may no longer feel that should be the PvE experience.

That's pretty funny, awaiting the epic 5 man raids then.

Personally, I hop on time to time on BDO cause the mindless fodder extermination + Show/Podcast is very relaxing after work. If I wanted something that took any attention I would probably play the countless other PvE MMO in the market.

In regards to shitass loot drops my biggest complaint is the sheer number of cash shop items required to make grinding not feel terrible. For example, Helm Cave is one of the more profitable places in game post raining enhancement but only if you have max weight + 10+ maids (on top of needing high level pets). If you don't then you grind for 15-20 minutes and you have to return back to town which takes 5-10 minutes.

Like a PvE system that requires you to spend 100+ dollars to not feel totally gimped is terrible.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Clocks posted:

All I'll say is I definitely have sympathy for classes whose playstyle or PVE damage got completely ruined (rangers, valk).

Crazy part about this was that rangers became pve darlings again for that brief period after the recent buffs and everybody jumped on the ranger reroll bandwagon, and now with the last round of changes/nerfs, everybody instantly jumped off that bandwagon.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I'm considering coming back to the game.Is it still pretty much impossible to find a grind spot that isn't busy?

That was my main complaint about the game lasts time I played

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Svensken posted:

I'm considering coming back to the game.Is it still pretty much impossible to find a grind spot that isn't busy?

When you come back you get 30 day access to growth servers that is 100% XP boost on top of it being empty as hell. So if you wanna punch skeletons for a month its great.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014
Is there any EU goon guilds? I've got a 56 witch for grinding monies and the such and just starting to check out some of the other classes.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Svensken posted:

It's not as bad anymore for lower level spots in mediah. as far as I know bandits and nagas are the worst for crowding.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nagas is right next to a town and a great leveling zone.

Even so, having been in nagas for dozens of hours now, a few channel hops and you can find an empty rotation easily. Sometimes someone comes along and tries to PVP or claim spot taken or tries to take down your mobs but if you're good at keeping a PVE location on lockdown it's rarely a problem for long.

Haven't been to bandits but I do think that's more contested since it's not in the desert and people go there to do elite hunting.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Spot taken

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

When you've spent 45 minutes at a spot and someone shows up going "spot taken" and then start arguing over it.

Personally I stopped chasing golden bells for my grind spots because the bonus is not that big in comparison during the grind hour and a bell often means people start flocking at all the good spots.

Lets say you make 1000 xp per kill. With the grind hour that's 3000 xp. With a book of combat + pearl clothes + value pack + tea etc that's easily now 4000 xp and with a bell that's 5000. So the bell only increases your xp gain by about 25% at this point.

A bonus that is easily nullified if you have to compete with players for a spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bells are the loving worst, unless you're in a really obscure/unpopular spot.