Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also did I miss how Diaz got the usb necklace with all the financial data of The Quadrant?

"Hey new guy, here is your membership ring and also all of our banking information. Be careful with that necklace, it's the only one we have."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
To back up my earlier criticisms about just loving killing Diaz, this episode was the same thing.

They ambush Diaz and have him trapped in a truck but everyone wants to get a 100% completion on dropping henchmen apparently. Then after he successfully runs away from everyone and stabs Curtis, Oliver just stands and stares at him while he goes for the necklace. Then Oliver continues to stand there as Felicity announces that the police are coming as backup which instantly defeats the entire team somehow. Oliver continues to stand there to now react to the fact that Diaz has escaped, alone, down an alley in the 30+ seconds he spent watching him.

Then when they go to the CCPD to get the necklace data and Lila gets confronted she has the element of surprise and starts firing with dual wielded pistols, just not at Diaz. They kill a bunch of people and then Oliver knocks Diaz down with an explosive arrow and looks over to him laying on the ground before running away and leaving him there.

Then Diaz gets incapacitated in a stairwell by an explosion, Oliver takes a good long look at him before running away, again.

Nevermind that they killed about 60+ other people during all of this and that Oliver thinks the only way to stop Diaz is to turn himself in to the FBI for some reason.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so the death thing is kinda silly but it's like this -- they don't want to just execute people. If you're fighting with a bunch of henchmen, anything can happen, maybe you'll have to kill someone to make sure the fight goes your way. But when a guy's on the ground and at your mercy, it's a little different to then say "Okay, as judge, jury, and executioner, I sentence you to death. You have failed this city." Sure, I would have shot Diaz right in the face with my first bullet if I was Lila, but you can kinda see how that falls under the same category. It's stupid and applied kinda inconsistently, but it's their way of keeping them distinct as "heroes" versus gritty Jack Bauer anti-heroes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also, I super love how in the span of a few episodes, they've introduced The Quadrant as the most enormous and powerful criminal syndicate in America that we've never heard of before because they're so secretive and well-connected, only to have them appear as a couple business-types with a handful of bodyguards so mastermind Ricardo Diaz can chump their entire organization in a matter of days. He's so cool, you guys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If someone's on a murdering rampage and corrupting the whole system, and being a loudmouth about it, I don't think there's much time needed to deliberate over the life or death thing at this point. They should just loving shoot him. But you can't fill a season with that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, the FBI just disappears while a crime lord takes over the city and then joins a secretive criminal syndicate?

And then they don’t show up for Oliver’s trial, or when there’s a series of horrible bombings, or when half the police force is fired?

Hell, I barely remember the FBI thing was this season.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Hey guys if you want alcohol poisoning, drink every time someone said "diaz has an army" in this episode alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also did I miss how Diaz got the usb necklace with all the financial data of The Quadrant?

"Hey new guy, here is your membership ring and also all of our banking information. Be careful with that necklace, it's the only one we have."

I think it's not the Quadrant's books, it's Diaz's personal books. But that's what Felicity thought and we never got to see anything, to it could turn out to be a picture of his actual family in Bevery Hills or proof that he hugged a puppy once or something.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so the death thing is kinda silly but it's like this -- they don't want to just execute people. If you're fighting with a bunch of henchmen, anything can happen, maybe you'll have to kill someone to make sure the fight goes your way. But when a guy's on the ground and at your mercy, it's a little different to then say "Okay, as judge, jury, and executioner, I sentence you to death. You have failed this city." Sure, I would have shot Diaz right in the face with my first bullet if I was Lila, but you can kinda see how that falls under the same category. It's stupid and applied kinda inconsistently, but it's their way of keeping them distinct as "heroes" versus gritty Jack Bauer anti-heroes.

I think "We are just defending ourselves!!" falls apart by the 30th skirmish in which you have killed three hundred people because you don't want to cross a line and murder someone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You'd think local police shooting it out with a federal agent would be enough to get the feds noticing something but I guess the FBI won't care about anything unless asked nicely

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WhyteRyce posted:

You'd think local police shooting it out with a federal agent would be enough to get the feds noticing something but I guess the FBI won't care about anything unless asked nicely

Good to see some amount of realism left! :v:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm betting the FBI lady dies moments away from giving proof to higher ups or the public that Oliver is the Green Arrow thus keeping his identity secret.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm betting the FBI lady dies moments away from giving proof to higher ups or the public that Oliver is the Green Arrow thus keeping his identity secret.

I mean, one assumes he'll get a conditional pass for basically making FBI Lady's (lol we don't even know her name offhand) entire career for her, but given how the show has gone this season, he's goin to jail and making his son hate him lmao

e: actually, is "being the Green Arrow" an actual crime? Because I was never clear on what Ollie's trial was about, and if this ends with him proclaiming "double jeopardy :smug:" and walking away, it's all gonna be worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They have anti-vigilante laws so yeah, being GA is a crime.

Unless Quentin officially deputizes him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It's sending Oliver to prison but undercover to find out some secret criminal underground or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The other condition is that he needs to break up with Felicity again.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The other condition is that he needs to break up with Felicity again.

So, more cry talking then...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I was thinking today about how they could have salvaged this whole Diaz storyline. One of the biggest problems with the arc has been how he just kind of came out of nowhere and all of a sudden he had this army of corrupt everyone all bowing to his will. A good way to fix this would have been to play the long game and have Diaz ditch out of this season back when he killed Cayden James. Then they could have brought him back next season as the big bad and reveal that he had actually been biding his time building up his criminal empire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or they could have written some good episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's crazy talk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So I was thinking today about how they could have salvaged this whole Diaz storyline. One of the biggest problems with the arc has been how he just kind of came out of nowhere and all of a sudden he had this army of corrupt everyone all bowing to his will. A good way to fix this would have been to play the long game and have Diaz ditch out of this season back when he killed Cayden James. Then they could have brought him back next season as the big bad and reveal that he had actually been biding his time building up his criminal empire.

If I were rewriting it (and could actually rewrite worth a drat) I'd put more of Diaz's moves in the first half of the season. Instead of just the CG blackmail, have the corruption building up and attributed to James. Then, when James gets played at the midseason, it's Diaz stepping into the head of a structure that the viewer thought was just dismantled rather than him coming in at full blast from nowhere. I think that would also have let them put Diaz's establishing flashback episode earlier. He's still got some magical mastermind skills, but that episode helps establish a baseline of "he is willing to bet EVERYTHING on this" that takes some of the sting off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on the last two episodes and I think this season will play much better in binge-watch form. I mean don't get me wrong, it still won't be good, but it won't be awful.

However, I'm loving lolling my head off here at one of the leaders (actually 3 if you count the guys at the end of the episode) of a criminal syndicate meeting another and for some reason not bringing. If they were even being the slightest bit realistic, they could've given that one guy a bodyguard and have one of the cops shoot the bodyguard immediately after Diaz slashes his throat. Also going back a few episodes, I refuse to believe that in a world of super-folks, the supposed most rich powerful mobsters have zero meta-enforcers and Diaz has the monopoly on superpowers through. Basically what I'm saying is that for all the Diaz stuff being stupid, the Quadrant stuff is possibly stupider. It adds nothing to the story since all that it serves to do is explain where the endless henchmen come from, which frankly doesn't need that much explaining.

And really this whole season could have been really helped if not made outright good if you switched Diaz to the mid-season baddie and James to the big baddie. Better yet don't have James use his real name that way when they pull the midseason not-terribly-surprising reveal that he's the villain, they can reveal that he's kind of sort of someone returning from last season!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The last two episodes have been incredible. Coincidentally, they're the episodes where the Outsiders and Diggle pull their collective heads out of their asses and realize maybe saving the guy on trial so his kid can have a father is more important than their dumbass squabble over leadership style and field philosophies also about how it's not someone's fault for defending themselves against a guy coming at them with a hatchet.

The characterization and interpersonal drama has been so bad this season. It's grating, hollow, hypocritical, and sometimes, absolutely nonsensical. When they finally throw all that out and roll with "you're a huge smelly jerk Oliver but you're OUR huge smelly jerk so let's get these sons of bitches," amazingly enough, the show gets 1000000% better.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Why were Diaz and the Quadrant lady saying each other's names in exaggerated accents?

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 12, 2018

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

The characterization and interpersonal drama has been so bad this season. It's grating, hollow, hypocritical, and sometimes, absolutely nonsensical. When they finally throw all that out and roll with "you're a huge smelly jerk Oliver but you're OUR huge smelly jerk so let's get these sons of bitches," amazingly enough, the show gets 1000000% better.

No interpersonal team drama next year please.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
This is the CW so we are getting some kind of drama. If it isn't the Team constantly splitting up then it will be Oliver and Felicity.

Or both.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mooseontheloose posted:

oh my sweet summer child

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sorry this show has already been renewed

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

oh my sweet summer child

THE WELL IS DRY.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We're a giant evil criminal empire, but we're too weak to stop some street punk from taking over! God my assessment of the Arrow writers not giving a gently caress anymore is so obvious.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
They should have let Merlin win.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean technically he did back in season 1...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just caught up on the last three episodes and for about half of each of them I was just yelling "JUST. loving. SHOOT. HIM." at my TV. Just shoot him. Anyone. Good guys, bad guys, Team Arrow, ARGUS, one of the people he's forcing to work for him. Just loving shoot him. He's an ordinary human man and no one even likes him. Just shoot him and everything is over. Even his bodyguards will probably just surrender as soon as he's dead because he's probably threatening to kill their kids or something. So many people have had opportunities to kill him and just not done it and it's the dumbest loving thing. Shoot him. Guns exist and you have them. Shoot him in the face and end this dumb bullshit.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Tiggum posted:

I just caught up on the last three episodes and for about half of each of them I was just yelling "JUST. loving. SHOOT. HIM." at my TV. Just shoot him. Anyone. Good guys, bad guys, Team Arrow, ARGUS, one of the people he's forcing to work for him. Just loving shoot him. He's an ordinary human man and no one even likes him. Just shoot him and everything is over. Even his bodyguards will probably just surrender as soon as he's dead because he's probably threatening to kill their kids or something. So many people have had opportunities to kill him and just not done it and it's the dumbest loving thing. Shoot him. Guns exist and you have them. Shoot him in the face and end this dumb bullshit.

But why bother shooting him when he's already won?!?!

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Because "We don't kill!"

Except for all those times they did.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I mean we saw Diggle acting like a one man death squad to free Chance. He shouldn't hesitate merc Diaz.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's no satisfying way this season can end. Is Ollie going to challange Diaz to a honourable fight? Do we get some moment were Ollie hestiates to take him out for some contrived reason?

Maybe if all the secrets of Diaz get out and everyone In Star City knows their entire Law Enforcement and Justice system is in the hand of a exceedingly cruel criminal and the city riots, tearing the corrupt cops and Diaz apart with their bare hands. Then there all "we don't need cops, the Green Arrow is the only one that's put this city before themselves!"

That sounds terrible enough for it to be how it ends.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

There's no satisfying way this season can end. Is Ollie going to challange Diaz to a honourable fight? Do we get some moment were Ollie hestiates to take him out for some contrived reason?

Maybe if all the secrets of Diaz get out and everyone In Star City knows their entire Law Enforcement and Justice system is in the hand of a exceedingly cruel criminal and the city riots, tearing the corrupt cops and Diaz apart with their bare hands. Then there all "we don't need cops, the Green Arrow is the only one that's put this city before themselves!"

That sounds terrible enough for it to be how it ends.

he voluntarily goes to jail for admitting he's the green arrow to FBI lady and william hates him for the rest of the show lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

Both of those things already happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

Both of those things already happened.

Yes, exactly. They're probably just going to recycle what we've already seen.