Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Poorly, I'd imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
News travels slowly pre-telegraph.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

paragon1 posted:

News travels slowly pre-telegraph.

Sure, but this amount of troops must mean them grabbing every able bodied man in the colonies and shipping them off to war, and most of them not coming back.

They gotta know something is up

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its also less troops in the colonies period. Some enterprising viceroys' gotta be getting ideas now that the people from home are preoccupied and the loyal soldiers are now elsewhere

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
There's an event along those lines that can fire for Morocco whenever their core provinces get occupied, we've literally just captured the straits though. Give it some time.

Also, for those who asked earlier, here's the ledger page with some manpower values. It's a bit outdated, but I don't think it's changed much from 1831.

Also, keep in mind that those army numbers also include garrisons, so they're not completely representative of the field army sizes. There's no way of finding out that from the ledger.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We've been doing some serious work on our navy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This is gonna come down to whoever Russia decides to eat next, isn't it :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Holy poo poo, Hungary. How do they have so much!? That's... pretty worrying.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, Hungary. How do they have so much!? That's... pretty worrying.

Well, when a man and woman love each other very much. And Allah wills it, the man and wife have a special hug and ----

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Hashim posted:

Ka'baald has been chilling in Qadis all this time, commanding one of the flanks in the capital's garrison force. A very cushy position, so he's unlikely to see much action unless someone manages to besiege Qadis.

Not very bold of him, but I'm glad he's still kicking!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Sure, but this amount of troops must mean them grabbing every able bodied man in the colonies and shipping them off to war, and most of them not coming back.

They gotta know something is up

True, but they won't know about enemy troops marching on Moroccan soil for a while.

Also goddamn that Moroccan manpower reserve :eyepop:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can we just have a quick win against the Morrocans? Like we take their capital, get some of the land in Iberia back and get a 10 year truce out of it?

Because I think I'd like to not see us crushed like insects.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

Can we just have a quick win against the Morrocans? Like we take their capital, get some of the land in Iberia back and get a 10 year truce out of it?

Because I think I'd like to not see us crushed like insects.

10 year truce so they can rearm and storm through Andalusia again?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Tirunni is kind of getting hosed so a breather would probably help us more than the Moroccans tbh

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

10 years of colonial internal fighting whilst Tiruni falls the gently caress apart and we can finally grab northern Iberia?

We would rule like Gods... angry Gods.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E: nm

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We'd be at Vicky 2 at that point, and the V2 AI is probably the weakest one in a Mega LP's path. Even if we lose territory through the first 30 years, by the time machineguns are researched the AI has no idea how to fight wars anymore.

Though the March of the Eagles AI seems to be giving it a run for its money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

HoI doesn't have the problem does it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Josef bugman posted:

HoI doesn't have the problem does it?

HoI4 AI was pretty weak when I last played it, but it was many patches ago. It still didn't reach the level of suicidal self-loathing of the V2 one after the invention of machineguns.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

ZearothK posted:

HoI4 AI was pretty weak when I last played it, but it was many patches ago. It still didn't reach the level of suicidal self-loathing of the V2 one after the invention of machineguns.

Yea hoi ai is not so good. Though doing it multiplayer can resolve that, and will probably make for a very chaotic game.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
HoI's AI is sadly completely suicidal and will run into unwinnable fights until it's out of guns and men. At this point you start walking forwards and essentially win unopposed.

Volunteering for the MP sessions!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Presently, I'd say the EU4 AI is pretty much the only one in a Paradox series that could be described as being competent at playing the game. If you've been reading MegaLP's on the reg, you will usually see players having most of their setbacks when crossing Europa Universalis, which will also be the longest stretch of the playthrough unless they take one of the pre-Hastings starts in CK2.

[edit]That's not to say al-Andalus has a smooth ride going forward from this. We are probably going to start V2 in a relatively weak position even if we win the revolutionary wars and the real Great Powers (like our old colonies, Russia and the Dual-Monarchy of France-England) can give us a lot of trouble if they decide to intervene in our affairs.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 12, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ZearothK posted:

We'd be at Vicky 2 at that point, and the V2 AI is probably the weakest one in a Mega LP's path. Even if we lose territory through the first 30 years, by the time machineguns are researched the AI has no idea how to fight wars anymore.

Yeah, it's not that hard to get the ball rolling in victoria, especially if you start as a secondary power in Europe (as we'll likely, hopefully, be by then). I've got a couple ideas on how to avoid snowballing though, so hopefully the game remains challenging up until the world wars, at least.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Though the March of the Eagles AI seems to be giving it a run for its money.

To be fair, machineguns pretty much meant real-life generals at the time had no idea how to fight wars anymore either! Though unlike the Vicky 2 AI, they eventually managed to figure it out.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Hashim posted:

I've got a couple ideas on how to avoid snowballing though, so hopefully the game remains challenging up until the world wars, at least.

Time for maji voting voting on military strategy as well.

“We were making progress on the southern land front but the maji’s suddenly voted for an amphibious invasion and all our troops got sunk in the attempt.”

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Zikan posted:

Time for maji voting voting on military strategy as well.

“We were making progress on the southern land front but the maji’s suddenly voted for an amphibious invasion and all our troops got sunk in the attempt.”

Gallipoli does sound like something the Majil's would support.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Gallipoli does sound like something the Majil's would support.

Hardly.

We wouldn't have given up so easily.:colbert:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How are our old colonies doing anyways? It would be nice to see if they are still rapidly gaining power

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but drat does Hungary have a metric shitton of troops. Really going to come down to whether we can beat the Almoravids.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Seems like Hungary has thrown its entire population into this war. If the Almoravids come out on top, then the post-war peace conference will very likely see them awarded a lot of new territories in eastern Europe as a reward. If Tirruni prevails, then they're probably going to be completely dismantled and wiped off the map.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Tirruni just needs one decisive battle against Hungary and they're basically done for the rest of the war. I'm not sure how much difference 70% discipline makes, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm not sure how much difference 70% discipline makes, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Yeah, but remember that there are a bunch of Germans in northern Italy as well, happy to reinforce any nearby battles. Hannover's army quality is decent, more than enough to tip the odds in their favour, wherever they've got numerical superiority.

I mean, we've got 50% more army quality than Morocco, but they were able to beat us on our home territory with just 10/12k more soldiers. So yeah, like a lot of Paradox games, numbers play a massive role.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Morocco’s boosted manpower reserves should come at the cost of instability in their colonies or at least reduced income. Just how many Indians can they ship over without it being a strain on their global empire?

E: Uhhhh. So does it matter that our alliance is just bleeding money? I’m not sure how this game works compared to EU4.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 12, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

E: Uhhhh. So does it matter that our alliance is just bleeding money? I’m not sure how this game works compared to EU4.

In MotE, coalition leaders basically subsidise everyone who joins their coalition, which basically imitates how Great Britain subsidised all of her continental allies during the Napoleonic Wars.

Tirruni's been having a bit of a hard time recently though, so he's been spending a lot of money raising new troops, and he's also massively expanded his navy for some reason. All of that means he's giving his coalition members a lot less subsidies, so we're unable to maintain our navy and keep a positive balance right now. I've got a decent cash reserve though, so I'm gonna keep it going for as long as possible, with the hope that Tirruni actually starts helping out at some point.

Egypt seems to be doing well enough though, at least since the Berbers wiped out their navy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If the Navy must be scuttled, lets hope that it takes the Berber navy with it -- assuming it's about equal to just disbanding.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

If the Navy must be scuttled, lets hope that it takes the Berber navy with it -- assuming it's about equal to just disbanding.
Don't worry, my guy is an admiral. I'm sure the whole navy is going to sink soon :sweatdrop:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah if there's no like, manpower penalty to just doing a suicide run vs dismantling (which there probably is), let's absolutely go berserk if it comes to that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm just hoping our former colonies don't decide to invade us before MotE ends. :ohdear:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Tirruni's going to just barely win this war and then attack Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Yeah if there's no like, manpower penalty to just doing a suicide run vs dismantling (which there probably is), let's absolutely go berserk if it comes to that.

Yeah, I'll probably end up throwing the navy into battles rather than disbanding it, even if there's some cost in manpower, just because it was so expensive and I may as well take out as many Almoravid ships as possible.