Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The only good comic book movie based video game I've ever played was the X-Men Origins Wolverine. I went into it with zero expectations and actually enjoyed myself. The game was as good as the movie was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Spider-Man 2 would like a word with you

That game is genuinely Tobey Maguire’s best Spidey performance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

All comic book video games suck balls unless they are LEGO themed.
That's a blistering hot take given the Arkham games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
marvel ultimate alliance owned

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grant DaNasty posted:

You just reminded me of the Marvel Avengers Alliance game for Facebook, and now I'm sad. It was a good game. :(

I never played Avengers Alliance, but I’m pretty sure Strike Force is the same exact game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the PS1 (and I think it was on the N64 as well) Spider-Man game which followed the '94 cartoon (I think it might have had Christopher Daniel Barnes doing the voice) but had a bunch of Marvel universe Easter eggs in it too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the PS1 (and I think it was on the N64 as well) Spider-Man game which followed the '94 cartoon (I think it might have had Christopher Daniel Barnes doing the voice) but had a bunch of Marvel universe Easter eggs in it too.

Was that the one with the mysterio boss fight that had the fake health bar? Game ruled.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was that the one with the mysterio boss fight that had the fake health bar? Game ruled.

Yeah, that's the one. Had this mean-looking fucker as the final boss and I'm amazed he's never been in any comics (that I know of):

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
No mysterio fake health bar was Spider-Man 2. Mysterio in this one grows 50 feet tall

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Ps1 spider-man had the best unlockables and costumes and easter eggs but ps2 spider-man 2 had the best swinging (which actually isn't so great if you've played it recently)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

but ps2 spider-man 2 had the best swinging (which actually isn't so great if you've played it recently)

I'm curious why? Graphics? Or just rose colored physics glasses?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the swinging in Ultimate Spider-Man

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soul Glo posted:

marvel ultimate alliance owned
Yeah I liked those two games as well as X-Men Legends 2.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I liked the swinging in Ultimate Spider-Man

This game is underrated. The Venom sections aren't as strong as Spidey's to me, but the swinging as Spider-Man is super fun. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers.

Also do the Marvel vs games count? A fair majority of those are great.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Monster-Ock doesn't seem "E for Everyone."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-Man web of shadows had some fun combat where you could instantly switch between regular spidey and the venom costume for cool combo tricks

No one has listed X-Men the arcade game yet

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker posted:

The last level is him chasing you while roaring "DIIIIIEEEE! DIIIIIEEEE!" and it was too scary for me. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I never played Avengers Alliance, but I’m pretty sure Strike Force is the same exact game.

Sort of. It’s similar combat but missing most of the features and mission structure.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Which had unlockable playable NuGoblin? That was a rad thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chickenwalker posted:

Neither are the final bosses of Kirby games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The ESRB isn't very good at rating their stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theironjef posted:

Which had unlockable playable NuGoblin? That was a rad thing.
In Spider-Man 1 you could play as Green Goblin after you beat the main story. You are basically Harry in the Goblin suit after the movie ends trying to find out who is running around in Norman’s suit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't actually play the games pre-release at all. The publisher sends them a video highlight reel of stuff that, in the publisher's opinion, should decide the rating. It includes optional features (so if you can turn off gore, too bad. Your rating will consider the gore), and as Rockstar and Bethesda found out even cut or inaccessible content that can only be accessed through modding.

They play a few games post release just to verify nothing was hidden from them or anything. Kind of like a random spot check. If a game receives complaints about the rating that gets added to the list too.

Nobody really knows what happened with Soul Nomad or why it wasn't re-rated though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 12, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/MCU_Tweets/status/995357152003985409?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heathen posted:

The only good comic book movie based video game I've ever played was the X-Men Origins Wolverine. I went into it with zero expectations and actually enjoyed myself. The game was as good as the movie was bad.

Batman for the NES ruled

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuckin' a, but also not surprising in the least, they'd kind of need to introduce Carol first

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Finally. Would Homecoming 2 be too early to introduce her?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Comfortador posted:

I'm curious why? Graphics? Or just rose colored physics glasses?

Well starting the game with swing speed level 1 is laborious as gently caress,it's only slightly faster than running,and it stays that way for quite a while.

Then by the end game and beyond you'll get swing speed level (7?) and it's so fast you'll be constantly careering into walls unless you do super short swings,which leaves you with even less control and you'll be flinging yourself at the pavement within seconds.

The swinging was pretty awesome for the time but there's so little control as to whether you'll get flung straight up or forward that trying to play it now is just so frustrating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally. Would Homecoming 2 be too early to introduce her?

They probably don’t want to introduce her in a Sony movie.

I wonder how they do the name. If Carol was never Ms. Marvel, and there’s no other Ms. superheroes in the MCU it’s kind of a weird name to use.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think it makes even more sense because now it's an homage/branching of instead of just straight up using someone's name.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Aphrodite posted:

They probably don’t want to introduce her in a Sony movie.

I wonder how they do the name. If Carol was never Ms. Marvel, and there’s no other Ms. superheroes in the MCU it’s kind of a weird name to use.

Too bad Captain Marvel Jr. is taken.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Boy the racists will have a field day with that one

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Aphrodite posted:

In the MCU they don't really use 'superhero' names a lot. They even lampshaded it in Infinity War with the Spiderman/Dr. Strange conversation. Hell, Spiderman is the only one I can think of who has some sort of secret identity, and it's not really all that secret. You could argue they basically abandoned all pretense about superhero secret identities with the ending of the first Iron Man.

Basically, they could just call her "Kamala" and be fine. You could probably count the number of times they called Sam "Falcon" on two hands or less in the entire MCU to date, and I don't think the name "Iron Man" was uttered once in Infinity War.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Kamala hiding her identity is part of her thing.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think it makes even more sense because now it's an homage/branching of instead of just straight up using someone's name.

Well, in her first issue they make a joke about how it’s not a very feminist name. She keeps it because it’s a legacy title though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 12, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Tom Holland version of Spider-Man takes off his mask in public approximately 200 times less than the Tobey Maguire one did

At least in his case only other Avengers, his aunt, and his best friend know who he actually is

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Tom Holland version of Spider-Man takes off his mask in public approximately 200 times less than the Tobey Maguire one did

At least in his case only other Avengers, his aunt, and his best friend know who he actually is

one of the things i loved about homecoming was just how bad peter was at being a superhero. his aunt, his best friend, his stalker-crush, his archenemy and tony stark and co. all know who he really is.

i found it endearing and also a relief that you don't have to wait three movies for these dramatic reveals.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FlamingLiberal posted:

and anyone who turned around on the bus in infinity war.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Boy the racists will have a field day with that one

They already have with her existing at all. gently caress 'em.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Kamala is a freshening up of the Spider-Man formula (this is a good thing) so her and Peter being the only ones with secret identities makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While Marvel won't release digital sales numbers, two years ago they hinted that Ms Marvel's digital sales made it the best selling Marvel comic by a fair margin. I know a dude who lost his poo poo over hearing this and canceled his entire preorder as some sort of idiot protest.

• Locked thread