Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sharkopath posted:

No because it's been 5 decades

This is insanely dumb logic every time it comes up and it never holds up to any real scrutiny

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

joe is old enough that plenty of people haven't seen it while megalo box is still ongoing. there are a bunch of people experiencing joe for the first time through megalo box and I'm sure they don't appreciate walking face fist into potential spoilers

I don't really mind it personally but you gotta see that it's not as simple as "well joe's old". using spoiler tags is just common courtesy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

This is insanely dumb logic every time it comes up and it never holds up to any real scrutiny

Much like the honorable and venerable classics of film just by watching anime you have at least subconscuously absorbed more information on Joe than you realize because of its cultural and artistic impact.

Spoiler tags are obtrusive and annoying and sas implementation of them is especially lame so I'm opposed to them by nature.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Joe's ending especially is so widely known that megalobox entire episode naming structure is steeped in it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

Joe's ending especially is so widely known that megalobox entire episode naming structure is steeped in it.

Well it's slightly more widely known now, because I didn't know. You're an rear end in a top hat, dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Spoiler tags are obtrusive and annoying and sas implementation of them is especially lame so I'm opposed to them by nature.

this is kinda selfish. they exist for a reason and it doesn't hurt you to use them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Much like the honorable and venerable classics of film just by watching anime you have at least subconscuously absorbed more information on Joe than you realize because of its cultural and artistic impact.

It’s just a couple of tags you add out of consideration for others. Quit being so whiny about it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think when i got into breaking down events of the original beyond "joe dies at the end," (which has also been foreshadowed heavily in MB) it was maybe a bit too far, as that stuff isn't nearly as ubiquitous via anime references. that's totally my bad.

i'm not really sure where i'd want the spoiler line drawn, since i think it's equally valuable that people are free to discuss events of the original relative to this "new version." i'll just trust y'all to tag any hugely pivotal moments/details that haven't already been covered.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is kinda selfish. they exist for a reason and it doesn't hurt you to use them

I mean more in the sense that for certain discussions it just makes posting way more laborious, exceeding their usability. In order for spoiler tags to be useful because of how sa does them you have to mention what the spoiler is spoiling when we're talking about a thread where the spoiler could be about the episode that just aired, about something from the original joe comic, or foreknowledge from an interview or some other external factor, and then a ton of people like to spoiler tag their wild baseless speculation too, its all very muddled.

I think they're more useful in places like game threads or comic threads , places where people are wanting to discuss things and ask questions but theres a more reasonable expectation they might all be at different levels of completion. For an airing show I'd be super surprised if you were reading it and trying to discuss it without having seen the episode? Even then because of how different everybodys expectations of what constitutes a spoiler or not in those examples people are getting mad at each other for revealing too much information or not properly tagging spoilers or tagging information that isnt a spoiler at all.

I seen lots of threads that are just constant black bars and that always bums me out.

Megalobox is also very much its own story that is more interested in the visual language of joe than the actual plot beats so I disagree that discussing the narrative of old joe is going to spoil the structure of the new show??

They're very different things.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 12, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And joe rules so people should talk about it, and talking about it in the thread about the show that is based on it is cool.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm here to scrutinize your post. It's bad. Thanks.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s just a couple of tags you add out of consideration for others. Quit being so whiny about it.

Its not a big deal. No need to get pushy.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

THE RULES posted:

Since spoilers seem to be our molehills of choice for turning into mountains, I’ll also ask you not be weird about them. If someone’s just throwing spoilers out there for no reason, report them. If someone’s whining about spoilers, report them. If someone’s whining about people whining about spoilers, report them. I will deal with all these people. Don’t derail the thread to engage them

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

No because it's been 5 decades, you had your time to Joe.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quite frankly, I'd never heard of Ashita no Joe until I read this thread. As far as I knew, I was just having a good time watching a sci-fi Rocky remake called Megalo Box. "Not dead yet…" didn't really register with me as foreshadowing, either.

Since it's apparently a cultural milestone, I don't really care whether I know how it ends. Still, going in blind would have been fun, as well. It certainly made Devilman: Crybaby more intense.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wrong show :smug:

Aragagagaki is gonna be my favorite character though, probably. How they dump that much character into him in just two episodes is fuckin' magic. We know more about his past than Joe at this point.

I figure 'Joe dies' is on the level of His Sled or Luke's Father by now, since it's old enough to fall between those. What comes before that, though, I'd like to find out on my own if I do pick it up.

Can't really spoiler Ashita no Joe stuff in here though, since most (myself included) will just click and read it anyway expecting it to be Megalo Box discussion. Better to just make an effort to leave it out of here unless vague.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 12, 2018

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I got spoiled on the ending of Joe by this thread - I'd never even heard of it until I started watching Megalo Box. It's put me off watching the old show but to be honest I have enough of a backlog without adding a 50-year old show with a ton of episodes to it. Well, unless someone finds subs of the original Tiger Mask...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
rosebud is the sled

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The ending of Ashita no Joe has been homaged a lot in various anime and shows over the years is the thing, to the point where it's just one of those cultural osmosis things people pick up having never seen the show. That said, I can understand more casual watchers of anime never hearing about it but it's just something you eventually run into. I probably started noting it whenever characters start talking about their favorite shonen battle, and Ashita no Joe's ending almost always gets a mention.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
People talking about Ashita no Joe in this thread is the only reason I even want to watch it. I've seen pictures of the ending before and people vaguely discussing the actual show, but it never seemed interesting. Knowing that the big rival is defeated and dies before the finale and that it changes the main character in some way is interesting enough to put me in to watching it though. That said, is it legally available to stream anywhere?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the second season is on Crunchyroll, doesn't look like anyone has the first

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Allarion posted:

I probably started noting it whenever characters start talking about their favorite shonen battle, and Ashita no Joe's ending almost always gets a mention.

See, I don't think I've ever watched an anime where someone explicitly discusses other anime. Pop Team Epic, maybe, but that show is so manic, it's hard to tell what's being referenced. Which famous shows reference Ashita no Joe, anyway? I'm really curious whether I've also somehow avoided watching those classics.

tsob posted:

People talking about Ashita no Joe in this thread is the only reason I even want to watch it. I've seen pictures of the ending before and people vaguely discussing the actual show, but it never seemed interesting. Knowing that the big rival is defeated and dies before the finale and that it changes the main character in some way is interesting enough to put me in to watching it though. That said, is it legally available to stream anywhere?

Yeah, knowing that it doesn't go how you'd expect definitely makes it more intriguing.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Allarion posted:

The ending of Ashita no Joe has been homaged a lot in various anime and shows over the years is the thing, to the point where it's just one of those cultural osmosis things people pick up having never seen the show.
It's maybe become one of those things that happens in anime a fair amount, but who the gently caress is gonna know where it came from if they don't already know and it's not specifically pointed out to them?

E: I'm not getting bent out of shape over spoilers or anything here, but like, assuming everyone just knows this poo poo is maybe not the way to go.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 13, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean plenty of people come across the knowledge without having ever seen joe somehow, whether it's a combination of the context and the referencing show calling it out by name, or coming across a show that has the reference with tl notes.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm sure it happens, but I don't think it should be considered the norm. I've been watching anime off and on to varying degrees since the early 90s (well, 80s if you count Robotech I guess) and didn't know poo poo about Ashita no Joe beyond "old boxing anime" until people started getting hype about this show and I started paying more attention. The very fact that this is a new spiritual successor to a well-regarded classic means that it's gonna attract a lot of folks who have never heard of it but are hopping on the hype train, or who maybe know Joe as a well-regarded classic but aren't necessarily that familiar with it beyond that.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

And More posted:

See, I don't think I've ever watched an anime where someone explicitly discusses other anime. Pop Team Epic, maybe, but that show is so manic, it's hard to tell what's being referenced. Which famous shows reference Ashita no Joe, anyway? I'm really curious whether I've also somehow avoided watching those classics.

Yeah, knowing that it doesn't go how you'd expect definitely makes it more intriguing.

Off the top of my head, one of Gurren Lagann's most famous scenes is a straight up lift of Joe's ending. Pretty much every cross-counter in anime is a Joe reference

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarodia posted:

Off the top of my head, one of Gurren Lagann's most famous scenes is a straight up lift of Joe's ending. Pretty much every cross-counter in anime is a Joe reference

Lupin had two Joe references this week.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

No, it's perfectly fine. And Aerith dies.

I personally use spoiler boxes but really don't mind if others don't. except for FFVII

As for this show, I am enjoying it but the boxing action itself is pretty meh. There is very little soul in those awkward punches they keep throwing at each other.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 13, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tarodia posted:

Yeah, I guess I've seen that happen a bunch of times.

What the gently caress. Gurren Lagann cribbed the pig scene. :aaaaa:

trucutru posted:

As for this show, I am enjoying it but the boxing action itself is pretty meh. There is very little soul in those awkward punches they keep throwing at each other.

Agreed. Both the footwork and the punching feel really floaty.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mike Toole has a new column up, focusing on the original Ashita no Joe. some fun production tidbits and an exploration of the visual references that have endured to today, with a small acknowledgement of how Megalobox ties in.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2018-05-13/.131505

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And More posted:

Yeah, any time you see a character sitting grayed out with their head down, that's a Joe

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, any time you see a character sitting grayed out with their head down, that's a Joe
And that's the actual iconic death scene. It's to the point where Joe's death scene is an anime trope on par with anime sweat drops.

If you watch anime you probably have noticed the "burned out" trope already. Here's one from railgun (or index not really sure):

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And More posted:

What the gently caress. Gurren Lagann cribbed the pig scene. :aaaaa:

Agreed. Both the footwork and the punching feel really floaty.

I only think it was not good at the start of round 4 when they are just standing in place, the rest of it was fantastic to me, especially the slugfest at the end.

They're both more defense oriented boxers trained by the same guy so they're just trying to wear each other down over time instead of constantly doing cool shonen super punches.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 14, 2018

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Hajime no Ippo, the longest and probably most famous boxing manga in the world, has a tremendous amount of its story lifted directly from AnJ.

Are there any anime that play the final scene of Joe straight or do they do it for gags more often? To me it was so tremendously iconic reading through it the first time - very much a "Sopranos" ending where I checked to see if I was missing pages for a minute afterward. Then it all kinda dawned on me

AnI is so absurdly good that I could write a ton on it. Megalo Box is amazing too, I'm so so glad that it's come out. JD / Joe is immensely likeable (in a way Joe kinda never really was)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

trucutru posted:

No, it's perfectly fine. And Aerith dies.

I personally use spoiler boxes but really don't mind if others don't. except for FFVII

Can't agree with you here. I find the boxing action incredibly compelling. That part where Joe and Araki are just giving each other hell while the camera pans around them had me holding my breath, and even though it happens every fight, every single time they have Joe's mouth guard fly away trailing blood it gets me right in the gut.

This is the first boxing anime I've ever seen, so maybe I'm missing something / it doesn't compare to the classics, but boy have I loved these fight scenes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tbp posted:

Hajime no Ippo, the longest and probably most famous boxing manga in the world, has a tremendous amount of its story lifted directly from AnJ.

Are there any anime that play the final scene of Joe straight or do they do it for gags more often? To me it was so tremendously iconic reading through it the first time - very much a "Sopranos" ending where I checked to see if I was missing pages for a minute afterward. Then it all kinda dawned on me

AnI is so absurdly good that I could write a ton on it. Megalo Box is amazing too, I'm so so glad that it's come out. JD / Joe is immensely likeable (in a way Joe kinda never really was)

Kamina’s death in Gurren Lagann is played entirely straight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Can't agree with you here. I find the boxing action incredibly compelling. That part where Joe and Araki are just giving each other hell while the camera pans around them had me holding my breath, and even though it happens every fight, every single time they have Joe's mouth guard fly away trailing blood it gets me right in the gut.

This is the first boxing anime I've ever seen, so maybe I'm missing something / it doesn't compare to the classics, but boy have I loved these fight scenes.

There was a 'rough cut' at the very start of round 4, its a noticeably flat sideview shot where the torsos trade punches. It doesn't last long though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Sharkopath posted:

I only think it was not good at the start of round 4 when they are just standing in place, the rest of it was fantastic to me, especially the slugfest at the end.

They're both more defense oriented boxers trained by the same guy so they're just trying to wear each other down over time instead of constantly doing cool shonen super punches.

That's not really what I mean. I'll try to put it into words:

I think a number of things contribute to me finding the boxing a bit lacking. One thing is that the footwork feels slightly off. Whenever there are quick movements, the animation skips over the moment it would take for Joe to shift weight. So in episode four, particularly during the close-up of his legs, it looks like he's floating rather than dancing to me, and not in a good way. It's like the animator knows where the feet should go, but not how it would actually physically work.

The punching is a bit different, and it only bothered me in episodes five and six. One thing that takes any gravitas out of it for me is the constant slowdown. There is barely any moment where a punch connects at normal speed, so there's no flow to the action. It's just overdone. The constant cuts to close-up also make it impossible to keep track of the fight. It's not a big deal when Aragaki is just wailing on Joe, but even important dodges, counters and hits get barely any lead-up.

Of course, the other person who said that might find it awkward for other reasons. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

drat that's cool. I swear there's a wider shot of Kamina a bit after that matches the manga panel, but I'll have to wait til I get home to find it I guess.

Eela6 posted:

That part where Joe and Araki are just giving each other hell while the camera pans around them had me holding my breath, and even though it happens every fight, every single time they have Joe's mouth guard fly away trailing blood it gets me right in the gut.

I was gonna rush in here and rave about that continuously panning exchange but got busy with something else and forgot. That was the coolest single piece of animation I've seen since maybe parts of Redline. There has to be some tech/CG in that or these guys are animation gods.

I forgive any other animation shortfalls if it was because they poured everything into that one shot.

Regarding any realities about boxing in this show: I'm not convinced this show is actually about boxing. Don't worry about it.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 14, 2018

• Locked thread