Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

For like... 5 years straight Windows was unable to support LACP and tagged vlans at the same time

what natively or like, at all? doesn't bother me as i just tag on the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cheese-cube posted:

what natively or like, at all? doesn't bother me as i just tag on the switch.

Its kinda a pisser if you are mounting storage and lan fabrics on a converged/blade platform. Also made Hyper-V implementations suck rear end

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Its kinda a pisser if you are mounting storage and lan fabrics on a converged/blade platform. Also made Hyper-V implementations suck rear end

the lack of native support in the OS is really the main issue imo. because of this each hardware vendor has provided the functionality via their drivers and ofc they did a really poo poo job of it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The_Franz posted:

why would anyone willingly wear the green badge of poverty?

gulag

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Granite Octopus posted:

iMessage is crazy good. i see people disable it on their iphones and i wonder how their brains became so broken that this was a thing they thought they needed to do

lmao who the gently caress does this

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

people without data or who live somewhere not draped in wifi. or idiots

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Granite Octopus posted:

iMessage is crazy good. i see people disable it on their iphones and i wonder how their brains became so broken that this was a thing they thought they needed to do

imessage me when it starts doing the arduous task of sorting a conversation between two people by timestamp correctly

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
have to touch a Microsoft this week while my MacBook gets a facelift and battery replacement for free. it still sorta sucks. I got a big fat dell with a detachable battery and a nipple to try and offset the badness of the trackpad and a screen that makes me reach for my glasses

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
on the plus side non-TPM Bitlocker is no longer a huge pain in the rear end. it’s still incredible that you have to janitor group policy to enable such a basic data protection feature in tyool 2018 and it isn’t on by default

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what are you doing buying a windows computer without a tpm in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I got it for free from work while my good and proper mbp early 2015 is getting fixed, so it’s probably whatever they had spare at the time

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

I got it for free from work while my good and proper mbp early 2015 is getting fixed, so it’s probably whatever they had spare at the time

lol that makes it even worse.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

lmao who the gently caress does this

old people pass around the dumbest possible iOS "tips" and gently caress up their phones and then forget that they hosed up their phones and bitch about how their phone doesn't work

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

NEED MORE MILK posted:

okay so just double checked, a new private AND public key is generated PER DEVICE associated with iMessage, so the multiplexing actually happens on the device sending the iMessage, if there are multiple devices associated with the email/phone number it encrypts the message using the public key for each device and sends separate messages for each device

large messages (videos, photos, voice messages, etc) are encrypted and upload to iCloud and then the location of the file + the key is messaged normally to the recipient

theres also some message signing using the sender and recipient public keys and stuff for verification

this is explains so much. Jesus what a long way to go in the name of security when the nsa can just get them from your iCloud backups anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

this is explains so much. Jesus what a long way to go in the name of security when the nsa can just get them from your iCloud backups anyway

i'm sure the premier cryptographic engineers and researchers at Apple have a lot to learn about security protocols from forums poster DuckConference

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm sure the premier cryptographic engineers and researchers at Apple have a lot to learn about security protocols from forums poster DuckConference

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DuckConference posted:

p sure messages are stored in the encrypted format and not as part of the iCloud backup

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

theyre backed up somehow cause they come along when you set up a new phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbslbKsQSk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wow i'll definitely make sure and look at these things the next time i go to a microsoft office to be trained on their linux offerings

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hell yeah just what we need more smartboards

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Are you looking for a massively overpriced flatscreen for your conference room? Do you want it to be a touchscreen for absolutely no reason? How about built-in integration with the world's worst meeting platform, Skype for Business? Then the Microsoft Surface Hub 2 Studio XP device for Business Professionals is for you! Buy four.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
cool can we see a live demo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

*Doesn't work as advertised*

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

anthonypants posted:

cool can we see a live demo
especially when they rotate the screen and all the elements smoothly rotate with it

can we get a live demo of that on the surface pro at least, satya? tia

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Bring back the coffee table, at least that thing did something cool and different with the IR webcam that could see the bottom of whatever you placed on top of the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfpVYYQzHs

I'm still pissed at myself for not immediately jumping in my car and driving to pick up the old Samsung SUR40 someone sold locally for $100 last month :mad:

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

wow what a score for a video about ocean waves and a touchscreen display

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

look at all these attractive diverse people coming together to further gentrify a city with a boring glass box condo building

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

look at all these attractive diverse people coming together to further gentrify a city with a boring glass box condo building

it's like a moving version of those stock "generic young business person" photos that companies with generic names like "consolidated business solutions" always have on their web site

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

A whiteboard is more useful.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

akadajet posted:

A whiteboard is more useful.

wait until microsoft discovers they make an app that scans whiteboards into pdfs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-16/microsoft-is-said-to-plan-low-cost-tablet-line-to-rival-ipad

quote:

Microsoft Corp. is planning to release a line of lower-cost Surface tablets as soon as the second half of 2018, seeking a hit in a market for cheaper devices that Apple Inc. dominates with the iPad, according to people familiar with the matter.
hey, maybe they'll get it right this time

quote:

The new tablets will feature 10-inch screens -- around the same size as a standard iPad, but smaller than the 12-inch screens used on the Surface Pro laptop line. The new Surfaces, priced about $400, will have rounded edges like an iPad, differing from the squared off corners of current models. They’ll also include USB-C connectivity, a first for Surface tablets, a new charging and syncing standard being used by some of the latest smartphones.
ok...

quote:

The tablets are expected to be about 20 percent lighter than the high-end models, but will have around four hours fewer of battery life.
there it is!

these are apparently intel not arm

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 16, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tl;dr: we can't make a tablet competitive with the ipad because we insist on shipping windows on them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they would suck rear end even if they were arm.

og surface rt got optimistically a day in standby because windows is loving trash as a tablet os

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It is, however, loving excellent as a table os

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

windows is loving trash

fixed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

It is, however, loving excellent as a table os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

they would suck rear end even if they were arm.

og surface rt got optimistically a day in standby because windows is loving trash as a tablet os

they could use windows 10 mobile but no apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol