Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phone guys are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Phone guys are the worst

Printers < Time < Phones

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lmfao

https://twitter.com/klout/status/994634099431165952?s=19

Subtle

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

whoops. lost my business model.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

What on Earth is/was Klout?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What on Earth is/was Klout?
You gave it access to your social media platforms and it would say you're really influential on things you posted about and then they let #brands contact you to give you free things in order for you to most more about #brands

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

anthonypants posted:

You gave it access to your social media platforms and it would say you're really influential on things you posted about and then they let #brands contact you to give you free things in order for you to most more about #brands

The "getting all your personal data for marginal utility so we can sell it at profit" model isn't always a unicorn, apparently.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The "getting all your personal data for marginal utility so we can sell it at profit" model isn't always a unicorn, apparently.
No, it's shutting down because of GDPR. Lots of internet services are going to shut down on May 25.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

anthonypants posted:

No, it's shutting down because of GDPR. Lots of internet services are going to shut down on May 25.

Is anything actually good getting shut down?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

astral posted:

Is anything actually good getting shut down?
No.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:yeah:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people have a preferred ACME client for IIS?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people have a preferred ACME client for IIS?

Good question. I've been meaning to look into exactly that as I'd like to use a Let's Encrypt certificate with NPS.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I use the win-simple client: https://github.com/PKISharp/win-acme

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/995340443607973893

:toot:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Still hosed up that that British newspaper thought it was cool to casually doxx him for saving everyone's collective asses.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Still hosed up that at the time, no one knew what registering those domains would do, especially including that guy, but the ends justify the means so people continue to spread the idea that he saved everyone's collective asses.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's less "the ends justify the means" and more "hindsight is 20/20." He did save everyone's asses, that's a stone cold fact. Nothing bad happened to anyone except the malware dev as a result of what he did. It was a rash decision in hindsight, but that doesn't make it hosed up that people lauded him for it. It's simply worth noting that registering the domain could have done something way worse than disabling it, like irretrievably delete everyone's data.

Do you believe he deserved to be doxxed for making that decision?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's less "the ends justify the means" and more "hindsight is 20/20." He did save everyone's asses, that's a stone cold fact. Nothing bad happened to anyone except the malware dev as a result of what he did. It was a rash decision in hindsight, but that doesn't make it hosed up that people lauded him for it. It's simply worth noting that registering the domain could have done something way worse than disabling it, like irretrievably delete everyone's data.

Do you believe he deserved to be doxxed for making that decision?
I said he's not Malware Jesus. I didn't say he deserved to be doxxed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is he employed

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

anthonypants posted:

I said he's not Malware Jesus. I didn't say he deserved to be doxxed.

Ok cool, so we agree that what I referenced is hosed up and what you referenced isn't hosed up. I also agree that he's not Malware Jesus, but it's not like he shot a dog in order to deactivate WannaCry.

mewse
May 2, 2006

That would have been pretty hosed up if he had shot a dog. Not even sure how that would work to stop ransomware from spreading.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I imagine it would be some SAW-like scenario where the distorted voice of the malware's creator informs him that a chip in the dog monitors its vital signs and communicates with the virus to stop it from spreading if it dies. It would be super hosed up.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
That malware tech guy shot a dog for no reason? Pretty hosed up if true.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's simply worth noting that registering the domain could have done something way worse than disabling it, like irretrievably delete everyone's data.

We should not live in a society of fear. If you suspect you can make the world a better better place by registering a domain, please do so, even if there is a chance it might work out the other way. There is far too much fearmongering in information security and seeing the world in absolutes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EssOEss posted:

We should not live in a society of fear. If you suspect you can make the world a better better place by registering a domain, please do so, even if there is a chance it might work out the other way. There is far too much fearmongering in information security and seeing the world in absolutes.

Fearmongering... right, that’s what it was.

LOL

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you uncover a domain that is being used in malware code then how much more time would it take up to try and figure out what it does before just YOLO-ing a registration?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

If you uncover a domain that is being used in malware code then how much more time would it take up to try and figure out what it does before just YOLO-ing a registration?

Exactly this. Malwarebytes tripped all over himself to register it before trying to analyze what throwing up a domain that resolves, but does nothing in response to C&C queries would cause the malware to do.

He got extremely lucky this particular piece turned out to be half-baked in terms of its anti-analysis countermeasures.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I’m more a shoot first ask questions later kinda guy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Never tell me the odds

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All's well that ends well?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Uhh, is this as bad as it sounds?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/critical-pgp-and-smime-bugs-can-reveal-encrypted-e-mails-uninstall-now/

quote:

The Internet’s two most widely used methods for encrypting e-mail--PGP and S/Mime--are vulnerable to hacks that can reveal the plaintext of encrypted messages, a researcher warned late Sunday night. He went on to say there are no reliable fixes and to advise anyone who uses either encryption standard for sensitive communications to remove them immediately from e-mail clients.

The flaws “might reveal the plaintext of encrypted emails, including encrypted emails you sent in the past,” Sebastian Schinzel, a professor of computer security at Münster University of Applied Sciences, wrote on Twitter. “There are currently no reliable fixes for the vulnerability. If you use PGP/GPG or S/MIME for very sensitive communication, you should disable it in your email client for now.”

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/05/attention-pgp-users-new-vulnerabilities-require-you-take-action-now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's loving bad

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Our advice, which mirrors that of the researchers, is to immediately disable and/or uninstall tools that automatically decrypt PGP-encrypted email. Until the flaws described in the paper are more widely understood and fixed, users should arrange for the use of alternative end-to-end secure channels, such as Signal, and temporarily stop sending and especially reading PGP-encrypted email."

That makes it sound like the vulnerability is in the decryption step? That sounds more like an implementation flaw ("oops, this popular program re-uses a memory buffer and will accidentally send out your private key the next time it sends a HELO"), but they seem to be saying this affects all PGP software, not PopularPGPPlugin versions 3.2 through 4.5.

I'll be really interested to see what the heck this turns out to be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Ah, lovely. A bug where the result is encryption being so broken the workaround is to send things in plaintext because you're hosed anyways.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
GnuPG who weren't contacted by the original team but have seen the paper hath spoken...

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-May/060315.html

The EmbargoFAIL website is now up....
http://email.de

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 14, 2018

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

No VVV

Nothing wrong with OpenPGP / GnuPG specifically but with broken MUAs and html email.

VVV lmao

Storm One fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 14, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In which a "security researcher" tells a vendor to keep quiet about something.
And in case he deletes it, one of the freebsd developers and former security officers screencapped it:

Pablo Bluth posted:

The EmbargoFAIL website is now up....
http://email.de
I appreciate your typo a lot, but this is the right address: http://efail.de

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 14, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My dumbass take is that's it's a very real concern for people facing adversarial third parties, but it's not like they've opened pandora's chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Benign 3rd parties have never really been much of a problem in security.