Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about the Airmotiv 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adam came out with a new mid range option. I demoed them at Guitar Center and was real tempted.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/adam-audio-t5v-5-active-studio-monitor/k47837000000000

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ooo do the Adams. Ribbon tweeters are great.

®
Nov 20, 2002

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m running into an issue that I’m hoping you guys can help me with:

Basically I am trying to find a way to enjoy 4K content on my 4K tv, despite the fact that my receiver is about 9 years old and is not 4K compatible. I can plug my PS4 pro directly into the tv in order to view the content in 4K, but I’m just trying to get the audio output to my home theater speakers and not just the TVs speakers.

If I plug the PS4 Pro directly into the tv, and then plug an optical audio cable from the tv to the receiver, would that work? Or would I run into issues with HDCP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

® posted:

If I plug the PS4 Pro directly into the tv, and then plug an optical audio cable from the tv to the receiver, would that work? Or would I run into issues with HDCP?

That'll work fine, it's how I have my kit setup with an ooooooooooooold receiver.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

® posted:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m running into an issue that I’m hoping you guys can help me with:

Basically I am trying to find a way to enjoy 4K content on my 4K tv, despite the fact that my receiver is about 9 years old and is not 4K compatible. I can plug my PS4 pro directly into the tv in order to view the content in 4K, but I’m just trying to get the audio output to my home theater speakers and not just the TVs speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You should check if your receiver has HDMI-CEC and Audio Return Channel.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I saw this diagram for how to set up 5.1 systems. Is it really the case that it's best to put those surround speakers either side of your head (more or less)? I always thought they were meant to be diagonally behind you.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think 90-120 is ok but it’s preferred to have them further back if you can within that range, for reasons that I do not understand entirely. But if you’re like me and your couch is on the back wall 90 is what you get.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I don't think it matters nearly as much as the placement of your front and centers, because so little information comes through the surrounds. Generally it's going to be a compromise between where you can physically mount rear speakers without pissing off the people you live with.

My living room requires my surrounds to be mounted about 12 feet behind and 6 feet above the top of my couch, at about 125 degrees or so because there's a massive plate glass window preventing me from mounting them any closer, but you still get a pretty good 3D image, and the fronts are about the same distance anyway (it's a long-rear end room).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sister just moved and got herself a new smart TV (TCL 55S405, I think) and we're looking to get her a stereo system to go with it. I don't think she'd string cables around so don't need surround, looking for a decent 2.1 or 3.1 system in a box. She's not remotely audio-nerdy so I'm just trying to keep her from buying whatever's on sale at WalMart :shobon:

I know she doesn't want big floor standing speakers, so either satellite size or L/R could be bookshelf max. Likewise we don't need floor-rumbling bass, I just want enough low end to 'fit in' with the other speakers' sound. I'm assuming whatever I get I can just run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and call it a day. Are there any in-a-box systems I can investigate around $200 that aren't aggressively trash?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At that price point I would be looking at something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/232744629273

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PNOH2I/

Small, out of the way, and should be way better than any boxed option in that price.

Hook it up with a normal 3.5mm cable (make sure you have the right output on the TV). You'll need speaker wire.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Are there any in-a-box systems I can investigate around $200 that aren't aggressively trash?

Check out Yamaha sound bars.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Micca or Edifier powered speakers in the $150-200 range would be an option as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just came back to float the idea of buying speakers and a receiver separately. I've seen those ELACs recommended before, has anyone actually heard a pair and knows if they need/benefit from a sub?

e: doesn't look like this TV has RCA out, but it says it has one Audio output Headphone connection, I'm assuming I'd just need a Y-converter to go from a stereo plug to red and white?

e2: vvvvv Fair point (also I'm pretending your typo is instead a The Good Place reference :) ).

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 5, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your budget is the price of an entry level sub by itself. It's better to have two decent speakers than 3 shirty ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The input on that amp is the same 3.5mm connection as headphone jack.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I just came back to float the idea of buying speakers and a receiver separately. I've seen those ELACs recommended before, has anyone actually heard a pair and knows if they need/benefit from a sub?

e: doesn't look like this TV has RCA out, but it says it has one Audio output Headphone connection, I'm assuming I'd just need a Y-converter to go from a stereo plug to red and white?

I'm listening to a pair of Elac B6's right now, they have plenty of bass without a sub for what it sounds like you want. They won't shake the walls but they're surprisingly healthy in the low end for their size. They are not particularly efficient though and benefit quite a bit from some decent power, I was originally running them off of a NAD C740 (35W x 2) and then switched to an old NAD 2400 to power them (100W x 2) and they really woke up. If you're getting a decent second hand receiver they should be fine but I wouldn't try them with a little T-amp or anything.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Takes No Damage posted:

I've also got a pair of B6's and would agree with everything posted above. Totally gets the job done by themselves for music. I added their center channel and 10" sub because I liked it better for movies/gaming but I don't feel it's a necessity.

Powering them with a Yamaha V679 and it's plenty of juice.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 5, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to replace my current audio solution (Sony HT-XT1 soundbase) with a new solution where the HDMI ports allow for 4K HDR passthrough (my current Sony only does 1080p). I am in mainland Europe and thus a lot of US centric deals are not available to me.

Since I have an LG television I have looked at the LG SJ9 soundbar, which seems capable enough but has only one HDMI in port and also soundbars aren't regarded very highly among audiophiles it seems.

So, I've looked into AVR based alternatives and put together this setup which ends up the same price:

2x Klipsch R-15M - front left and front right
1x Klipsch R-25C - front center 
1x Yamaha RX-V383 - receiver with at least two HDMI-in ports that are 4K HDR capable

This combo would end up costing 600 Euros, the same price as the LG SJ9. I would gain the additional HDMI ports, tho they are not an absolute must, but I would lose out on codec support, tho that too is not an absolute must.

More importantly, can anyone give me an indication as to which setup I can expect to deliver better sound quality when watching movies and playing videogames?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I was recently gifted a Yamaha rx-v565 early HDMI receiver, and I'm having a few issues with the HDMI side of things. I'm using an older 46" generic tv from like 2010 with it, with a htpc, Chromecast and a blu ray player connected.

The Chromecast works great, but I ran into some trouble with the htpc, the picture was full of noise, and clearly something was off in the decoding, which is weird cause it was fine when I had it connected directly. I swapped out the old ati HD5450 for a GeForce GT210 I had lying around and it cleared up; but then I got the same issue with my Samsung Blu ray player.

I'm pretty sure the BR player is a lot newer than the rest of the kit, but I would assume it would be backwards compatible with older versions of HDMI etc. And I would have assumed it would have failed handshake rather than display a distorted image. Googling and the owners manual have given me no ideas, so if you can think of anything I can try short of buying a new tv, I'm keen.

Edit: update: I fixed this by disabling the "HDMI Deep Color" option on the Blu Ray player.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Browsing around the past few days I came across the following offer which seems like a decent deal to me:

Pioneer VSX-932
Polk S35 x1
Polk S50 x2
Polk S15 X2

For a total of 790 Euros

Can anyone speak to this offer? Seems like decent bang for your buck to me but I'm not certain.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The S35 is a weird speaker, it has 6 tiny drivers instead of 2 normal ones like the S30, I've seen reviews that it's not great. The rest of the S series is supposed to be good value for the money.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This is a bummer, the S35 is one of the few center speakers I've seen that would fit my current space with it's form factor.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

This is a bummer, the S35 is one of the few center speakers I've seen that would fit my current space with it's form factor.
If that's all that fits that's the exact reason they made that model, it's just not as good as a larger one.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Another issue I have is that due to my room layout, I wouldn't be able to be an equal distance away from the rear speakers. I would sit closer to the left one than the right one, like so:

Is this something I can adjust for on the receiver level, by lowering the RL speakers volume for example or is this gonna cause me lots of headaches?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Incessant Excess posted:

Is this something I can adjust for on the receiver level, by lowering the RL speakers volume for example or is this gonna cause me lots of headaches?

You can adjust level and delay on all speakers 99/100 so you should be perfectly fine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Most receivers that can do room correction can handle that with no problem.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Hey again, I've got a bathroom remodel coming up soon and I wanted to put some speakers in the ceiling of that room. We're currently using this: https://www.amazon.com/SB510-Resistant-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Speakerphone/dp/B00IGUUYTI Which is serviceable but isn't very loud and gets drowned out by the shower itself on certain songs

Are there any specific recommendations for this sort of project? We're gutting the whole room so running wires isn't a problem

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Do you have a receiver elsewhere in the house you'll be using? Or are you looking for a louder Bluetooth speaker recommendation?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I do have a receiver in the home but it doesn't have to be connected to this one. I'm leaning towards the louder bluetooth speaker option. Oh I forgot to mention that the dimensions of the room are 6'x12'x10'. Really I was primarily concerned with any gotchas with putting a speaker in a warm humid environment

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
A question about adding Surround back speakers to go from 5.1 to 7.1. Do they have to be the same model as the surrounds? For example if I have Ascend 340 SEs for my surrounds, do I need to add another pair of 340SEs as my surround back speakers or could I go with the cheaper 170 SEs?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Pioneer VSX-932
Polk S35 x1
Polk S50 x2
Polk S15 X2

For a total of 790 Euros

I decided to order this offer and am now looking at cables, as presumably those come with neither the receiver nor the speakers. Each speaker is connected with two cables which both go into the receiver, they don't have a power cable, is that right?

Also, I'm seeing different diameters for cables being sold 1.5mm², 2.5mm² and 4mm² which one of these do I need? The furthest rear speaker will require about 60 feet of cable.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I would go for the 2.5, with the 4.0 for any lengths over 20ft.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Listerine posted:

A question about adding Surround back speakers to go from 5.1 to 7.1. Do they have to be the same model as the surrounds? For example if I have Ascend 340 SEs for my surrounds, do I need to add another pair of 340SEs as my surround back speakers or could I go with the cheaper 170 SEs?

The 170 and 340 use the same drivers, don’t they? They should have very similar character, so go ahead and use the cheaper option.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TheMadMilkman posted:

The 170 and 340 use the same drivers, don’t they? They should have very similar character, so go ahead and use the cheaper option.

I guess I should also ask, what's the difference between the sound that goes to the surrounds and what goes to the surround back speakers? Is there any reason to want say a beefier speaker for one position versus another?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No real difference. Both are used predominately for spatial effects.

Given the choice, I’d put the 140s in the rear simply because we’re slightly less sensitive to sound from directly behind us, but if there was a reason you’d want it the other way (room layout or whatever), it wouldn’t be an issue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IMO 7 channel is best for more theater-ey layouts where you have multiple rows of seating and a single set of surrounds might not have good enough coverage, like TheMadMilkman said it's the same sort of stuff you're getting to you surround channels now.

e: wow, the 170s are on sale for $300/pair

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 12, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's the deal with speaker stands?

I'm looking into getting a 5.1 setup. Something about Tannoy's Eclipse line caught my attention. So I'm looking at a cart on PeterTyson that's got a pair of Eclipse Threes , an Eclipse Center and a pair of Eclipse Ones. The RRPs on these are £299, £149 and £129, though they're on offer for £249, £129 and £69, which seems nice. There's also a sub for £287 (RRP £319).

I would, however, need stands for the surrounds. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't for everything not covered in "avoid!" reviews to be like another £100 per pair. In retrospect, though, I can see how a tall metal support for something that lives and dies based on minute vibrations might call for quality that does not come cheap.

I had a question at this point about whether I should just drop some extra cash and get some other floorstanders if I'm going to spend that much total on surrounds anyway, but while I was writing it up, I saw that the same retailer offers a Tannoy bundle consisting of two pairs of Ones, the Center and the Sub (all the same stuff I've just been asking about) for £369, which is, uh, even based on the sale prices kind of a nuts price, right. That and a pair of stands and a pair of Threes plus the receiver basically comes to a tiny bit less than all the stuff I previously discussed (1x Threes, 1x Center, 1x Ones, 1x Sub), effectively giving me a pair of stands and an extra pair of Ones for free. Now I look I see the bundle even includes 40m of cable, just because. I'll basically have a 7.1 system on standby if I ever move to a place that can accommodate it and buy another pair of stands then.

So here's my actual two questions;

1) in summation I have a cart here with 1x Threes, 2x Ones, 1x Center 1x Sub, theoretically £100 of stands, and enough cable to wire it up, for £1020. This... is good, right?

2) What do I look for in stands, compatibility wise? I would hope most stands would work with most speakers, but I don't know what to check to match up a specific speaker to a specific stand. I also don't like the look of most stands. I do like the look of one set of Bose stands the UFS-20, for example, but I can't see an obvious way to check if they'll play nice with the One.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is an Onkyo TX-NR575 for $250 shipped a good or bad deal? Amazon deal of the day.

I'm upgrading from a Kenwood KR-V8060, so anything from the last decade should be a massive improvement. Currently running 2.0 with Sony SS-B3000s, with the intent of adding at least a center channel once I can actually get more than just stereo to the receiver. Possibly surrounds if I want to put in the effort. I would also likely run speakers to our little back porch with zone 2.

Mostly Chromecast, Switch and Xbox 360 usage, probably swapping for an Xbone later this year to play Red Dead Redemption 2. The Xbone would also replace a Blu-Ray player. All this is on a 60" Sharp Aquos from 2011.

Is there a better option at or below that price? The spec sheet seems like overkill for what I want to do right now, but I'd like to keep it around for a long time. Is that dumb?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I am bit confused how to hook up a subwoofer to my receiver in case I want to add one to my setup.

Back of the receiver looks like it has connections for two subwoofers, both with one cable each (the white section):

Now, I looked at the back of a random subwoofer and it seems like you could/are supposed to hook up much more than just a single cable:

I notice this subwoofer says Digital AMP on the back, is this specific one an AMP and a subwoofer in one?