Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There have always been two kinds of Sweet Tarts and the message hearts are all made by the lowest bidding factory in every third world country so there's never been any real consistency there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I have no idea why these commercials popped into my head today, but they are 90s af.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdjVZr1P7FU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcExSzZF_h0

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

The Bloop posted:

the message hearts are all made by the lowest bidding factory in every third world country so there's never been any real consistency there

I mean, they used to not be, and when candy doesn't have to be shipped 5,000 miles for three months it tends to taste better and not break your teeth. What the weak coward with poo poo taste upthread said, they used to be like Necco wafers which are still made state-side.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

I miss this poo poo.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm remembering one small detail from a 1990s arcade game, anyone recall it?

It was a medieval-themed platformer, and the distinctive feature was that at some points you'd pass little cells with someone holding the bars, and you could let an NPC out who would follow behind your character and provide an additional attack, like the main one I recall is some guy who'd walk behind you and throw explosive potions over your shoulder.

Ring any bells?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Don Gato posted:

I'll readily admit that Vermont still hasn't moved into the present in a lot of ways, it's still fairly easy to find things like zagnut bars that I haven't seen anywhere else.

There’s exactly one place within driving distance of me (WAY northern NY) where I know I can still get a zagnut when the craving strikes. They used to have aero bars too, but alas.

Also, am I the only that liked putting too much powdered quik in the milk so there’d be crumblies on top? It’s weird to think about now because I barely eat anything sugary anymore, but that used to be something I absolutely loved.

That and the sugar sludge on the bottom of the bowl when you were forced to make your own frosted flakes.

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm remembering one small detail from a 1990s arcade game, anyone recall it?

It was a medieval-themed platformer, and the distinctive feature was that at some points you'd pass little cells with someone holding the bars, and you could let an NPC out who would follow behind your character and provide an additional attack, like the main one I recall is some guy who'd walk behind you and throw explosive potions over your shoulder.

Ring any bells?

I'm gonna' guess you're thinking of Magic Sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oFgwnruxQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darthemed posted:

I miss this poo poo.

Less fibre in your diet and an actual toilet should help.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Manwall! posted:

I'm gonna' guess you're thinking of Magic Sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oFgwnruxQ

That was exactly it! Once I saw the cells with the little hands on the bars, that's when I was sure. Played a few levels on an emulator just for old time's sake.

Just one more 90s video game question: I was playing some game in an arcade, and I could've sworn it was Double Dragon, but in one scene you're going through a temple-like building, and up high there are statues, I want to say of minotaurs, and the statues come to life and stab spears down at you at an angle. Is there some variant of DD that had that in a level, or am I thinking of another game?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

That was exactly it! Once I saw the cells with the little hands on the bars, that's when I was sure. Played a few levels on an emulator just for old time's sake.

Just one more 90s video game question: I was playing some game in an arcade, and I could've sworn it was Double Dragon, but in one scene you're going through a temple-like building, and up high there are statues, I want to say of minotaurs, and the statues come to life and stab spears down at you at an angle. Is there some variant of DD that had that in a level, or am I thinking of another game?

This is just an educated guess off the top of my head, but that sounds like Double Dragon 3, I believe there were weird temples and magic stones and stuff in that one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bloop posted:

There have always been two kinds of Sweet Tarts and the message hearts are all made by the lowest bidding factory in every third world country so there's never been any real consistency there

Nope, those awful hearts are made right here in 'murrica. I think sweet tarts have made hearts on occasion? If they have they were bound to be 10 times better than these things.

https://www.today.com/food/sweehearts-sale-necco-candy-wafer-factory-may-close-t125219

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

With that "still accepts cash" tagline, it makes me wonder if there was some kind if plastic panic in the early 90's.

My dad had a habit back then of going on weird tangents, and when I was about 13 (1994), I remember he went on one about how you should always carry at least one $20, $10, two $5, and 5 $1 on you so you can pay for things. Although that may have been my dad being a weirdo though.

The Moon Monster posted:

Nope, those awful hearts are made right here in 'murrica. I think sweet tarts have made hearts on occasion? If they have they were bound to be 10 times better than these things.

https://www.today.com/food/sweehearts-sale-necco-candy-wafer-factory-may-close-t125219

Yeah, Sweet Tarts used to make hearts around Valentine's Day, couldn't tell you if they still do. I am that guy that prefers the NECCO Sweet Hearts though, you'll never convince me that they suck :colbert:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

With that "still accepts cash" tagline, it makes me wonder if there was some kind if plastic panic in the early 90's.

My dad had a habit back then of going on weird tangents, and when I was about 13 (1994), I remember he went on one about how you should always carry at least one $20, $10, two $5, and 5 $1 on you so you can pay for things. Although that may have been my dad being a weirdo though.

Did any fast food places take cards in the early 90s when that commercial was made? McDonald's didn't start accepting plastic until 2003, and they were a trend setter in that regard.

Your dad was awfully specific about denominations, but unless you only shopped at pricy boutique places or wanted to be one of those weirdos who paid for a pack of gum with a check it wasn't possible to go cashless back then. Credit cards stayed in the drawer and only came out for large purchases or to order something through the mail.

Now I've had the same $20 bill in my pocket for the past 3 months.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Did any fast food places take cards in the early 90s when that commercial was made? McDonald's didn't start accepting plastic until 2003, and they were a trend setter in that regard.

Your dad was awfully specific about denominations, but unless you only shopped at pricy boutique places or wanted to be one of those weirdos who paid for a pack of gum with a check it wasn't possible to go cashless back then. Credit cards stayed in the drawer and only came out for large purchases or to order something through the mail.

It's so weird that Japan, a country you'd expect to be on top of the new technologies, is basically early 2000's US with regards to this. I was talking with some visiting tourists about how it's nice that more and more places around here are accepting Apple Pay, and they're like "Back in Japan we can barely even use credit cards or debit cards to pay, let alone our phones! Everyone has to carry around huge wads of cash!". Of course, we're talking about a country where people look at you funny when your business card doesn't have your companies FAX NUMBER on it... talk about 90's things, sheesh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Franz posted:

I remember the lecture was about how if you get stranded somewhere you can use money, because maybe they won't be able to break a $20 bill

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Mezzanine posted:

It's so weird that Japan, a country you'd expect to be on top of the new technologies, is basically early 2000's US with regards to this. I was talking with some visiting tourists about how it's nice that more and more places around here are accepting Apple Pay, and they're like "Back in Japan we can barely even use credit cards or debit cards to pay, let alone our phones! Everyone has to carry around huge wads of cash!". Of course, we're talking about a country where people look at you funny when your business card doesn't have your companies FAX NUMBER on it... talk about 90's things, sheesh

Even this is a fun contrast to other countries like Australia, where cash transactions are dwindling, and a lot of pay terminals don't accept Apple Pay but will accept Android NFC fine because catering to Apple's whims in regards to compatability is a shitshow, when there's an open source alternative that literally every other smart phone manufacturer adheres to. And Australia is behind the times compared to some other countries. It'd be interesting to know exactly what has driven the changes in these places as opposed to places clinging to older financial systems, like the US and cheques.

Australia has recently introduced a money transfer system where you don't even need to know someone's bank details. You can transfer money to someone's phone number or email address, it will deposit the funds into the account they have linked to that particular "ID". And it transfers in seconds, it's intensely good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember the lecture was about how if you get stranded somewhere you can use money, because maybe they won't be able to break a $20 bill

Not being able to break a $20 is pushing it but with counterfeiting being a thing that exists a lot of places would refuse a bill that was too big for what you were buying. Counterfeiters would also do stuff like buy a pack of gum with a crisp, fresh Benjamin. I guess it was easier to do in those days without getting caught or something. Now that plastic is way more common it's less of an issue.

One good idea though is "always have enough cash to get home." Cash always works but card readers go down sometimes. In most cases a $20 will get you enough gas to get home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not being able to break a $20 is pushing it but with counterfeiting being a thing that exists a lot of places would refuse a bill that was too big for what you were buying. Counterfeiters would also do stuff like buy a pack of gum with a crisp, fresh Benjamin. I guess it was easier to do in those days without getting caught or something. Now that plastic is way more common it's less of an issue.

One good idea though is "always have enough cash to get home." Cash always works but card readers go down sometimes. In most cases a $20 will get you enough gas to get home.

Occam's Razor dictates that it was just my dad being 40 years old and giving me what would later be known as a Life Hack

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that sounds like outdated wisdom from the 50s and 60s when $20 was a lot of money. The only problems I ever had along those lines was when using the $100 bills that I used to get in birthday cards. Several places just refused to break a bill that large for a small purchase.

Speaking of credit cards in the 90s, when they first installed gas pumps with card readers on them in the mid-90s at the corner station my friend's dad decided to try it out. He pulled in, swiped his card, filled his tank and went home. An hour later the police showed up at his door. It seems that the clerk in the store was a bit slow on the uptake and thought that he left without paying (these were also the days when you could pump first and pay inside afterwards), so he ran after him, wrote down his license plate and called the cops. He explained the situation, showed the cops the receipt and everything was OK, but that was still ridiculous.

The_Franz has a new favorite as of 15:51 on May 11, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I get people coming into my store and buying a pack of gum and trying to pay with $100, then they get all pissy when they're told we don't accept $100s. The last Sunday morning I worked a guy must have had at least 10 hundreds in his wallet, and was really upset I wouldn't take them. I eventually relented when he started to call the cops because "Its ILLEGAL!", uh no its not. The RCMP page clearly states that exchange of money is a private interaction between customer and store, and therefor both can refuse any currency they're given. I mean, customers constantly go "Oh don't give me a wrinkled bill!".

Most of them complain the banks are too far away (like 4 blocks) or that the banks will take money from them if they break it (which is completely bullshit). But then I've never seen a customer base that's so entitled and so full of poo poo than this place.

But I remember in the late 90s when debt first appeared. It was the greatest thing. Why should I have to carry all this cash around that just ends up as change when I could just insert my card? Most places where I was living adapted pretty quickly and by the turn of the century basically everyone but McDonalds and Tim Hortons was taking debt. I think Canadians in general just adapted really quickly to its convince. It probably helps that the banks didn't charge a lot for transactions, or if you had an account like mine, gave you so many free ones a month.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I get people coming into my store and buying a pack of gum and trying to pay with $100, then they get all pissy when they're told we don't accept $100s. The last Sunday morning I worked a guy must have had at least 10 hundreds in his wallet, and was really upset I wouldn't take them. I eventually relented when he started to call the cops because "Its ILLEGAL!", uh no its not. The RCMP page clearly states that exchange of money is a private interaction between customer and store, and therefor both can refuse any currency they're given. I mean, customers constantly go "Oh don't give me a wrinkled bill!".

Most of them complain the banks are too far away (like 4 blocks) or that the banks will take money from them if they break it (which is completely bullshit). But then I've never seen a customer base that's so entitled and so full of poo poo than this place.

You work next to an illegal narcotics distribution center hope that helps.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ryonguy posted:

You work next to an illegal narcotics distribution center hope that helps.

There were two dispensaries in my neighborhood. One was nice and clean, looked like a dentist office, called BCmd, the other had a giant sign that was airbrushed that said WEED on it. Both were raided in the same day.

Speaking of pot and the 90s, giant hats

I associated them with stoners, but that was probably because Rave culture wasn't a big thing in east coast Canada, so stoners picked up on the trend. As Matt Groening says, they are "oppressive whimsy".

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

otoh if it's 3am you better have a card on you bc gas stations often have pay-at-the-pump even when the shop is closed -- "all I have is cash and I can't find a station with someone actually working to take my cash" has been more often a problem for me than "i have no cash and the card reader is down"

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

There were two dispensaries in my neighborhood. One was nice and clean, looked like a dentist office, called BCmd, the other had a giant sign that was airbrushed that said WEED on it. Both were raided in the same day.

Dang, I was joking, holy poo poo that's hilarious.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

InediblePenguin posted:

otoh if it's 3am you better have a card on you bc gas stations often have pay-at-the-pump even when the shop is closed -- "all I have is cash and I can't find a station with someone actually working to take my cash" has been more often a problem for me than "i have no cash and the card reader is down"

I once saw a gas pump with a bill acceptor built in. It said it would take a $50.

I remember my mom making sure I had quarters to use a pay phone. I usually spent them on snacks in a vending machine. Coins being enough to buy something worthwhile in a vending machine, that's obsolete.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember my mom making sure I had quarters to use a pay phone.

"You have a collect call from 'MomIt'sMeI'mAtThePoolComePickMeUp' "

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember my mom making sure I had quarters to use a pay phone. I usually spent them on snacks in a vending machine. Coins being enough to buy something worthwhile in a vending machine, that's obsolete.

Up until a couple of years ago my aunt, who very rarely ventures far from home, would shove rolls of quarters into my cousins' hands as they were leaving after the holidays "for the tolls". They finally convinced her to stop it since the rolls just spent months clunking around in their cars until they found someplace to use them.

Those roads where you throw coins in a basket are (mostly?) long gone. Toll booths in general are disappearing with states increasingly going completely cashless.

Ferrule posted:

"You have a collect call from 'MomIt'sMeI'mAtThePoolComePickMeUp' "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flP-o0ydkvo

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was in northern Virginia a while ago, and they had lanes that have the change baskets / ez-pass, and the other lanes have cashiers. I thought the ez-pass lane would be faster, but no it's the "cut you off and then rummage around for coins while you wait line". I can't wait for everything to be converted to the full-speed gantries.

I drove to college once and then immediately got an EZ pass, screw paying cash. Just seeing that I had one convinced my parents it was OK for them to get one too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The_Franz posted:

Up until a couple of years ago my aunt, who very rarely ventures far from home, would shove rolls of quarters into my cousins' hands as they were leaving after the holidays "for the tolls". They finally convinced her to stop it since the rolls just spent months clunking around in their cars until they found someplace to use them.

Those roads where you throw coins in a basket are (mostly?) long gone. Toll booths in general are disappearing with states increasingly going completely cashless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flP-o0ydkvo

Actually ran into toll booths coming home through Chicago not long ago. The booths weren't manned though and you had to put the toll into a machine if you didn't have an easy pass.

The new toll bridge in Louisville doesn't even have booths. They take pictures of your license plate and bill you.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
e: f,b

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

Actually ran into toll booths coming home through Chicago not long ago. The booths weren't manned though and you had to put the toll into a machine if you didn't have an easy pass.

The new toll bridge in Louisville doesn't even have booths. They take pictures of your license plate and bill you.

They're not gone yet, but they are disappearing. Massachusetts ripped out all of their toll booths last year and most of the ones around NYC are gone with plans to rid the state of them by 2020.

It's been a long time since I've seen one of those booths with a basket where you toss in 50¢ though.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

SwissDonkey posted:

Australia has recently introduced a money transfer system where you don't even need to know someone's bank details. You can transfer money to someone's phone number or email address, it will deposit the funds into the account they have linked to that particular "ID". And it transfers in seconds, it's intensely good.

We have a similar system in canada called E-transfer. I don't know how long we've had it but I noticed it since at least 2015, but the wiki article seems to imply it's been a thing since at least 2013.

Basically, if I'm understanding right, the difference between our systems is that our bank acounts aren't linked to emails or phone numbers. Instead you just send a link via a text message or email, and when the recipient clicks on that link they're asked to sign into their bank account and enter a password that the sender created.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
NZ had basically that system but like 3+ years ago. All the banks just decided to adopt one standard. When you showed up to buy something from someone off TradeMe all you had to bring was your phone. It's great and I reminisce about it lots, especially now that my brother in law got jumped for like, $50 to buy controllers. The other great part was immediately adjusted visa/bank balances 24/7. All that juxtaposed against 90s rock and vehicles, though, because some parts of that country can't move on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ryonguy posted:

Dang, I was joking, holy poo poo that's hilarious.

Yea. I remember being in the local comic store, and saying to the manager "there's a lot of cops over at the coffee shop" and she said "they're probably getting coffee". I pointed out that they were wearing vests and armed, and then another regular came in and said "hey I just saw the weed store get raided!"

E-transfer is great. Its super easy to use and is pretty much instant. It's actually amazing how Americans are always impressed with how easily we Canadians can pay for stuff. I get them a lot in the summer and they always see someone tap ahead of them for payment and its like they just watched magic.

I heard that the reason chip transactions were so delayed in the US is some religious nutjobs had it held up in court or something? Its probably just an internet rumor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish those kinds of systems were more widespread in the US. Recently I've been seeing more and more stores try to discourage credit card use by charging an extra 3%. They prefer cash.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I wish those kinds of systems were more widespread in the US. Recently I've been seeing more and more stores try to discourage credit card use by charging an extra 3%. They prefer cash.

There is a system called Zelle in the US thats ran by several of the big banks that do this. All you need to do is register a email address or cell phone number. But the problem is, we as a country are stupid. I tried having my mother send me some money this way last year and she couldnt navigate the registration even though it took me all of about 1 minute. Also, there's still a subset of people who just are opposed to changing things. I think contactless card transactions have overtaken cash transactions in much of Europe now. I only ever had one contactless card issued by a US financial company (American Express) but even they eventually killed it. Apple Pay and G-Pay from Google I guess have drove most card companies from issuing contactless cards here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate dealing with cash. Its slow, people give you 50s and hundreds for a single banana, then get upset when you tell them you can't accept that. Then when they get their change they bitch at you for not giving them crisp brand new bills. Not to mention counting bills at the end of the day is a pain in the rear end.

Then there's the people who have their bills folded up super tight so they won't lay flat in the till. Or the lady who takes forever to fish a nickle out of her wallet because she doesn't want any change. Cards are quick and easy and take no effort. Its good to have cash as a backup, but using it all the time is just a pain for everyone around you.

The only times I ever use cash is when I'm somewhere where I want to monitor my spending. So if i go to a bar or a show I'll take cash, or at a convention. But those are once and a while stuff.

I really hate finding out a business has gone cash only. A restaurant near me went that way last year, and someone I know worked there. They told me they got a new owner who thought by getting rid of credit and debt they could save money, but the loss of business from people not wanting to go there because it only takes cash.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a co-worker who is 36 or 37 who refuses to use a debit card. Everything she does is cash or check. No online bill paying or even looking at them. She was trying to buy concert tickets for her boyfriend as a birthday gift and was having a helluva time with it because there's no Ticketmasters near us.

Currently she's worrying about how all her bills will come in and be due the week she's on vacation next month because online bill paying is just the most insane thing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The_Franz posted:

Speaking of credit cards in the 90s, when they first installed gas pumps with card readers on them in the mid-90s at the corner station my friend's dad decided to try it out. He pulled in, swiped his card, filled his tank and went home. An hour later the police showed up at his door. It seems that the clerk in the store was a bit slow on the uptake and thought that he left without paying (these were also the days when you could pump first and pay inside afterwards), so he ran after him, wrote down his license plate and called the cops. He explained the situation, showed the cops the receipt and everything was OK, but that was still ridiculous.
Hahahahaha.
This is how the joint I work for still does it. They disabled paying at a pump with a card at the stores they took over. At the stores they've rebuilt/refurbished, the new pumps the install purposely don't have a card reader while each other major competitor does.
But no wait you CAN still pay at the pump! See first you have to download this places app
Create an account/sign in
Connect a credit card or paypal account to it
Dig through the app to select the pay-at-the-pump.
Select the store you're at.
Fill up.
Tell the app which pump you are at
Wait about a minute for the transaction and for the gas station's computers to comfirm
Then you can leave. So easy.

But only if the store supports that feature! :ironicat:

Also there's more and more drive-offs these days but you could stop them if you write down every number plate that gets fuel, that will stop them! :ironicat::ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Sega ads even back when i was neonate/teen always screamed desperation. All they do is poo poo on Nintendo, while Nintendo never poo poo on Sega, it was "hey look at this cool game!". Pepsi was the same way. That or poo poo was just weird with Sega. Though as the 90s wound on, Nintendo got really weird. Earthbound is his great game that people hail as one of the greatest JRPGs ever made, but no one played it when it was released because the ads were horrible. For some reason they chose to go full on gross out in the ads with stinky scratch and sniff ads in Nintendo power. Why would anyone want a game with ads like that?

Things being super gross seemed to appeal to kids a few years younger than me in the 90s. I never understood it.

Also a friend of mine was obessed with OK Cola. He covered an entire wall in his bedroom with cans by super gluing them to the each other and the wall. I don't think his parents knew it was a solid structure. I remember it tasting kind of fruity, but still a cola taste. "Underground" comics like Hate and 8Ball and anything Evan Dorkin seemed to be something that media tried to get in on, like the excellent show Mission Hill really took the style for the animation. Though I think they really didn't understand that then popularity of these were not as big as they thought. It was cool to see it embraced though.

Sega was the epitome of flash in the pan to me. They had one successful console, and failed at every other one, and the one they did manage to sell, was markedly inferior to the competition with few good exclusives, and a lack of anything not sports or beat 'em games.