Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

chutche2 posted:

Apparently AT is in 8mm scale instead of 6mm now? That's annoying, all of my 6mm poo poo is out of scale.

Your old Knights and Titans will be, your infantry will be fine. Because 6mm vs 8mm at gaming distance is not a huge deal, particularly when it is just the giant war machines that have been embiggened.

Even your old terrain is probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

It’s better to command reroll if you get a 4+ on one of your dice, worse if not.

This is correct. If you need to roll a 9 or better, then with 2D6 you have a 27.8% chance of doing so. With a 4 or better on one roll you have, at worst, a 33% chance of getting the 5+ you need to make a 9.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Feed those tiny titans directly into my veins. :pcgaming:

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

I would be remiss if I did not specifically point out a NEW NECRON BEASTIE from the forgeworld slides.

It looks like it’s largely styled on a Triarch Stalker chassis, but all of the bits are distinct enough that I’m willing to bet it’s an entire new kit instead of a conversion pack like the T-Ark or Shroud. Plus the head indicates it may be Canoptek rather than Triarch, which is necessary for dynastic buffs.

Those guns, though? Those guns. Those are heavily upscaled Synaptic Disintegrators, the pea-shooting sniper rifles on our Deathmarks. Looks like Necrons may be getting a new stormsurge-esque robot built specifically for deleting characters.

I am excited.

EDIT: LOOKIT THE SIZE OF THIS THING

Merton Blask fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 12, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I had a silly idea that I wanted to run past you guys. I really like the Deathwatch codex. I like the flexibility, and I think it's a good way to make Primaris units be a bit more dynamic. I also like the idea of Roboute looking at the good things the Deatchwatch has done with Primaris Kill Teams and commissioning a Primaris Chapter with the specific tasking of diverging from the Codex Astartes and instead focusing on doing whatever is required to successfully engage in a battlefield. So that would mean a lot of combined arms, which gives me a chance to justify adding Knights and whatnot to the army.

So looking at the book the Deathwatch Veterans get a LOT of really fun options, and I'm curious as to what people would think if I decided to combine Primaris with "Deathwatch Veterans" that were represented by Van Saar guys. The Van Saar models look amazing, they have tons of goofy weapons that could represent the myriad of guns the Veteran squads get, and on top it would mean that I could have some fun with things like buying a Corvus Blackstar.

So with that I have a few questions:

1. Is this a terrible idea?

2. If you see a guy bringing out Van Saar and saying "this is a Deathwatch Veteran squad" and showing what the various guns meant, would that elicit a positive reaction?

3. Looking at the Van Saar kit, what weapons do you think I could use to represent what?

4. The Deathwatch army doesn't allow for any Lieutenants and I already painted one. If you saw a model wielding a power sword and bolt pistol, with a giant skull on the side of his shoulder pad, would you be angry that he doesn't have an auto boltstorm rifle modeled?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, i was going to start up an age of sigmar army, but I’m just gonna hold off now until Adeptus Titanicus comes out.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Merton Blask posted:

I would be remiss if I did not specifically point out a NEW NECRON BEASTIE from the forgeworld slides.

It looks like it’s largely styled on a Triarch Stalker chassis, but all of the bits are distinct enough that I’m willing to bet it’s an entire new kit instead of a conversion pack like the T-Ark or Shroud. Plus the head indicates it may be Canoptek rather than Triarch, which is necessary for dynastic buffs.

Those guns, though? Those guns. Those are heavily upscaled Synaptic Disintegrators, the pea-shooting sniper rifles on our Deathmarks. Looks like Necrons may be getting a new stormsurge-esque robot built specifically for deleting characters.

I am excited.

This thing looks rad as hell. Probably gonna be a LoW. Not sure if it'll be for killing characters at that size tho

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

TheChirurgeon posted:

This thing looks rad as hell. Probably gonna be a LoW. Not sure if it'll be for killing characters at that size tho

I wouldn’t put it past them. The Gauss Pylon is already a 550 point investment that removes a tank/titan each turn, if FW did the same thing for Guillimans (Guillimen?) I wouldn’t bat an eye.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Thanqol posted:

Thank you everyone :)

I roll my eyes at a lot of internet communities discussing 40K because sometimes it seems like no one is having fun with the hobby. That's nuts to me. I've spent literally my entire life waiting until I had the money and free time to do this, and now that I'm doing it it's everything I ever hoped it would be. I love every aspect of this bottomless money sink - I love building, painting, playing, getting hyped for new releases, poring over rulebooks with a fine-tooth comb, reading terrible novels, and of course casual smashups and beerhammer with friends.

Everything about this big dumb hobby is fantastic.

If there's a thing to know about how I came as far as I did, as fast as I did, it's a habit I learned from teaching myself digital art: A spectacular failure is a way better educational experience than a boring success. I make it my business to continuously try new things as often as possible. I ruin a model here and there, and often fall way short of what I'm aiming for, but the sheer churn of new techniques I go through means I'm constantly improving.

Great series of posts. Fantastic looking models. I completely agree with you. It really is a fantastic hobby in my opinion. Other than the cost. ;) I wish I had more time for it but with two young kids it's tough -- my 5 year old son is already playing Warhammer Quest with me though which is fun. How did you get into the hobby?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I had a silly idea that I wanted to run past you guys. I really like the Deathwatch codex. I like the flexibility, and I think it's a good way to make Primaris units be a bit more dynamic. I also like the idea of Roboute looking at the good things the Deatchwatch has done with Primaris Kill Teams and commissioning a Primaris Chapter with the specific tasking of diverging from the Codex Astartes and instead focusing on doing whatever is required to successfully engage in a battlefield. So that would mean a lot of combined arms, which gives me a chance to justify adding Knights and whatnot to the army.

So looking at the book the Deathwatch Veterans get a LOT of really fun options, and I'm curious as to what people would think if I decided to combine Primaris with "Deathwatch Veterans" that were represented by Van Saar guys. The Van Saar models look amazing, they have tons of goofy weapons that could represent the myriad of guns the Veteran squads get, and on top it would mean that I could have some fun with things like buying a Corvus Blackstar.

So with that I have a few questions:

1. Is this a terrible idea?

2. If you see a guy bringing out Van Saar and saying "this is a Deathwatch Veteran squad" and showing what the various guns meant, would that elicit a positive reaction?

3. Looking at the Van Saar kit, what weapons do you think I could use to represent what?

4. The Deathwatch army doesn't allow for any Lieutenants and I already painted one. If you saw a model wielding a power sword and bolt pistol, with a giant skull on the side of his shoulder pad, would you be angry that he doesn't have an auto boltstorm rifle modeled?

I think most friendly gamers wouldn't have a problem if you're lovingly converting up a squad and modelling and painting them as a squad of crack inquisitorial storm troopers or somesuch to go along with the deathwatch theme. I don't know the deathwatch veterans loadout, but apart from lasguns>>bolters, and stuff like the power axe in the box being used as a specific melee weapon, and maybe the heavy rad cannon>>frag cannon, I might look to convert any weapon that doesn't have something that is similar in the box. So a combi plasma or plasma pistol you've got, and you have a storm shield already, but I wouldn't push the proxying too far, as you are already essentially proxying the the entire squad.

Just make sure that via modelling/painting all the different weapons are abundantly clear. hit the plasma guns with some bright as gently caress OSL, etc, and keep the squad loadout relatively simple so people don't blame forgetting it on your models. (even if everyone forgets a deathwatch squad's loadout immediately after it's told to them) You want your opponent to be able to look at the group after you've explained everything, and know exactly what's still alive, etc...

And put them on correct bases.

I'd also be a little leery of using them in a space marines proxying as Deathwatch list, as now you're double proxying. And poo poo starts to get confusing. Plus, without the inquisitorial excuse, I doubt marines would let a bunch of humies take point.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Idiot hellfucker: Anyone that isn’t able to spend 2-5 hours painting and modelling every day is lazy.

40k thread: *applause*

:wtc:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Games Workshop posted:

- New Necron FW monster
- Titanicus in plastic
- Dem Death models
- Ludicriously detailed plastic Sister

AAAAAAAAAH :gizz:

But gently caress painting that Sister of Battle--if that's the detail level for regular troops, I may not have to worry about starting the army. I've got all the incredibly detailed troops I need with GSC.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Idiot hellfucker: Anyone that isn’t able to spend 2-5 hours painting and modelling every day is lazy.

40k thread: *applause*

:wtc:

It was a good post because it removed any guilt I had for not getting more painted.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The smugness radiating from it knocked me on my rear end. Guess that’s what comes of not having the discipline and mental fortitude of a digital artist.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am confused. I just read it as "hey, here is my work that I spent a lot of time on. I am proud of it."

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

The smugness radiating from it knocked me on my rear end. Guess that’s what comes of not having the discipline and mental fortitude of a digital artist.

Did you try to paint yellow and get angry again?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Where am I

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Just in time for the new Necron Superheavy, I present an old one!

Phaerekh Quien Harelle affectionately refers to this custom Gauss Pylon as "The Last Laugh," as she enjoys false phase-out and counter-teleportation tactics. Once the field clears of her own forces and becomes overrun with the enemy, she engages it to decimate the most powerful war engines the enemies of the Djest'Orrh Dynasy possess. The codes inscribed on its surface frequently serve as mnemonic hyperlinks to the Djest'Orrh Tomb World archives containing short clips of enemy commanders' visages before and after the Pylon is deployed, so she may relive her most cherished moments and spread her maniacal, metallic laughter to the stars. :hb:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was a cool post but I just found it comforting to know how much time it took to get that much done.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Thanqol posted:

I roll my eyes at a lot of internet communities discussing 40K because sometimes it seems like no one is having fun with the hobby. That's nuts to me. I've spent literally my entire life waiting until I had the money and free time to do this, and now that I'm doing it it's everything I ever hoped it would be. I love every aspect of this bottomless money sink - I love building, painting, playing, getting hyped for new releases, poring over rulebooks with a fine-tooth comb, reading terrible novels, and of course casual smashups and beerhammer with friends.

Everything about this big dumb hobby is fantastic.

:same:

Honestly I don't understand why people don't just quit entirely when they stop enjoying it. And the concept of actually shitposting in threads about something you don't like is just completely alien, I can barely find time to post about things I do like.

I'm more on the modeling/painting side, thanks to time constraints and not knowing anyone else that plays, but the hobby really helped me out. My mom died suddenly a couple of years ago, and the summer after that I was in bad shape with anxiety trying to cope with it. Decided I needed some kind of analog, meditative distraction and wandered into the local GW on a whim. Better than loving therapy, modeling and painting ended up being exactly what I needed. It seems ridiculous to say "Space Barbies helped my broke head deal with grief", but it really did, and now I just genuinely enjoy following along the hype train of new poo poo to add into my forever-backlog while listening to questionable audiobooks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Just in time for the new Necron Superheavy, I present an old one!

Phaerekh Quien Harelle affectionately refers to this custom Gauss Pylon as "The Last Laugh," as she enjoys false phase-out and counter-teleportation tactics. Once the field clears of her own forces and becomes overrun with the enemy, she engages it to decimate the most powerful war engines the enemies of the Djest'Orrh Dynasy possess. The codes inscribed on its surface frequently serve as mnemonic hyperlinks to the Djest'Orrh Tomb World archives containing short clips of enemy commanders' visages before and after the Pylon is deployed, so she may relive her most cherished moments and spread her maniacal, metallic laughter to the stars. :hb:

Getting all those transfers straight must have been interesting. Nice purple crons

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Felime posted:

I'd also be a little leery of using them in a space marines proxying as Deathwatch list, as now you're double proxying. And poo poo starts to get confusing. Plus, without the inquisitorial excuse, I doubt marines would let a bunch of humies take point.

So if I brought out my Primaris guys and said "I'm using the Deathwatch codex" that would be confusing? I mean functionally the only difference is that I'm using purple and bone Primaris guys instead of black and silver Primaris guys, so I didn't think that would be a significant deviation. I agree that I would want the modeling to be as clear as possible. So the heavy rad cannons would definitely be frag cannons, and I would keep everything else as simple as possible so there wasn't any confusion.

I mean you've seen my army. If I did things like put appropriately marked Aggressors in with the Intercessors would that cause a problem?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am just going to say, all my dudes are Deathwatch... even if they are red and yellow.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

You're changing your mind about what you want to play every time something cool comes up pretty much :v

It's fine as long as you have friends to play with who don't care about that. Store pick-up games might be annoyed by it I guess

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TTerrible posted:

Lmao you can’t be serious

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

You're changing your mind about what you want to play every time something cool comes up pretty much :v

It's fine as long as you have friends to play with who don't care about that. Store pick-up games might be annoyed by it I guess

Well I'm basically playing the same thing; Primaris Space Marines. The whole point of making a generic army like that is so that I could have fun using whatever codex appealed to me. Painting takes me so long that I'd rather have that flexibility than end up locked into something that gets me murdered every time I play it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Just magnetize the shoulder pads

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I find this thread's endless search for good primaris rules mildly entertaining.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Safety Factor posted:

I find this thread's endless search for good primaris rules mildly entertaining.

The models for Primaris are what got me back to 40k. I would rather playpaint them and hope for good rules as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars trying to make a "good" army instead of Primaris.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Holy poo poo that plastic Sister looks amazing.

It really does. I have absolutely no talent painting anything (and no that's not me being down on myself, that's just a fact) but the quality of the model and the fact it's been 20 years of waiting for a lot of people means I'd want to support this any way I could.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

]But gently caress painting that Sister of Battle--if that's the detail level for regular troops, I may not have to worry about starting the army. I've got all the incredibly detailed troops I need with GSC

Aren't models with built in fancy bases like that typically HQs? I doubt every single Battle Sister is gonna be standing on their own personal barbican

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I brought out my Primaris guys and said "I'm using the Deathwatch codex" that would be confusing? I mean functionally the only difference is that I'm using purple and bone Primaris guys instead of black and silver Primaris guys, so I didn't think that would be a significant deviation. I agree that I would want the modeling to be as clear as possible. So the heavy rad cannons would definitely be frag cannons, and I would keep everything else as simple as possible so there wasn't any confusion.

I mean you've seen my army. If I did things like put appropriately marked Aggressors in with the Intercessors would that cause a problem?

IMO if you've painted the Primaris in a way that most would associate with rules (they look like Ultramarines or Blood Angels or whatever) then you need to use those rules. Otherwise I think Purple and Bone Primaris would be fine as deathwatch since that doesn't imply any set of rules.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Aren't models with built in fancy bases like that typically HQs? I doubt every single Battle Sister is gonna be standing on their own personal barbican

Doesn't cost GW that much more (if at all) to get a scenic base cast vs the regular black ones.

All the new Necro gangs come with a full complement of scenic bases.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Wait where's the plastic Battle Sister preview

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want the Lady Sigmarine heads for my Space Marines

SteelMentor posted:

Holy poo poo.

My gay little heart can’t take these new gals.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Search nothing my lists been locked down for a while now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

Well I started the army because I wanted to do something different from Orks, and given just how many different Primaris options are available you'd think at least one would be good. I'd say Deathwatch comes closest if you're going pure Primaris since for one point you get a lot of flexibility with the Intercessors.

dexefiend posted:

The models for Primaris are what got me back to 40k. I would rather playpaint them and hope for good rules as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars trying to make a "good" army instead of Primaris.

Exactly.

NovemberMike posted:

IMO if you've painted the Primaris in a way that most would associate with rules (they look like Ultramarines or Blood Angels or whatever) then you need to use those rules. Otherwise I think Purple and Bone Primaris would be fine as deathwatch since that doesn't imply any set of rules.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want the Lady Sigmarine heads for my Space Marines

I'm still torn on putting Neave's head in a Reiever with the tacticool pistol pose to pretty much make The Boss from MGS3.
Or I need to find a good head with a bandana for the other obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Merton Blask posted:

I am excited.

I'm guessing this is finally the Necron Titan analogue making an appearance. One was mentioned in the fluff of one of those big GW campaigns a long time ago, described as a crypt spyder the size of a Titan. Though this one would appear to be Knight scale rather than a true Titan.