Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Lol at me scrubbing through CBB, a podcast I once couldn't wait to listen to for years, solely to find the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
OH, and Scott's comments about paying podcast guests. That also made him sound like a very old man and sucked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Unmature posted:

OH, and Scott's comments about paying podcast guests. That also made him sound like a very old man and sucked.

It sucks so much to hear about how exposure is actually better for performers than money, as if the concept of guests getting paid while also getting exposure is incompatible. Especially since there are podcasts with fewer listeners that manage to do it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cum Town pays its guests.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean scripps only bought them for $50 million

If it had been like 60-70m they could maybe afford to buy drew tarver lunch every third appearance or something

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

How are u posted:

Uh what happened to cbb? It’s been 2 weeks and no new episodes...

They shut down the old feedburner RSS feeds if you were still using those. Didn't actually mention they were doing it anywhere ahead of time it seems like.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

drat, they killed the Threedom feedburner I was subscribed to.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Oops, that was a pirated feed. I had no idea.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Srice posted:

It sucks so much to hear about how exposure is actually better for performers than money, as if the concept of guests getting paid while also getting exposure is incompatible. Especially since there are podcasts with fewer listeners that manage to do it.

Yeah, it's pretty embarrassing

https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/984455187426197504

cams
Mar 28, 2003

...just found out i am blocked by james adomian on twitter

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you're at all interested in comedians and podcasters getting paid follow Jack Allison on twitter @jackallisonlol

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Srice posted:

Even Stop Podcasting Yourself, a small (?) Canadian podcast on MaxFun, has been paying their guests for at least five or six years. It's not a ton but even when they were really small they'd give them $50.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scott's hoarding those Hims bonerbux.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

cams posted:

...just found out i am blocked by james adomian on twitter

I found out like two weeks ago the same thing. I think the two times I tweeted at him, he liked the tweets. *shrug*

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It seems like economics of podcasting are a little weirder than people imagine. Wiger is pretty lefty-minded and outspoken about how labor deserves to be compensated, but Doughboys was only able to pay guests on their premium episodes, last I checked. It's obviously a different situation for a more established and popular podcast like Comedy Bang Bang though, although at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there's some lovely overhead related to Earwolf/Scripps

Maybe I'm a bad person but I also don't care tooooo much about token compensation for people who mostly have staff writing jobs that make them way more wealthy than I will ever be

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 10, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008

xbilkis posted:

It seems like economics of podcasting are a little weirder than people imagine. Wiger is pretty lefty-minded and outspoken about how labor deserves to be competent, but Doughboys was only able to pay guests on their premium episodes, last I checked. It's obviously a different situation for a more established and popular podcast like Comedy Bang Bang though, although at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there's some lovely overhead related to Earwolf/Scripps

Maybe I'm a bad person but I also don't care tooooo much about token compensation for people who mostly have staff writing jobs that make them way more wealthy than I will ever be

You were already not doing great and then that last line my dude. Come on.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think it is unreasonable to think podcast guests should get paid and to also think it is not a particularly pressing issue in the larger scheme of U.S. labor injustices

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It feels like there are way more in-house ads recently, so I'd be worried about anyone at all getting paid/staying in business under this model.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Even Stop Podcasting Yourself, a small (?) Canadian podcast on MaxFun, has been paying their guests for at least five or six years. It's not a ton but even when they were really small they'd give them $50.

I'll take any chance to say everyone should listen to SPY. Also I think Never Not Funny had always paid a token amount to guests.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

have you considered the whole "appearing on podcasts" thing is a way for people to get those staff writing jobs, and even for people with jobs they're still doing labor?

it's the "pay ucb performers" bullshit all over again. pay performers. pay artists. simple

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

“The key to wealth is a staff writer position on the 13 ep order of Fox’s Ghosted” - J. Paul Getty

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ya killed B99, Scott! Great job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWO2j06SVBw&t=798s

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Unmature posted:

sean and hayes making fun of this while PFT was on the pro version was jokes

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

I keep hearing they're doing great disses to the Earwolf pay model but I have to support the premium shows that aren't paying people to hear the people who aren't getting paid talk about the shows that aren't paying the guests for the hosts who are getting paid but I have to pay
Oh dear, I've gone crosseyed.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Terror Sweat posted:

Which ep was this?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

Which ep was this?

"DIY Information", this week's.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
DIY Information has been my favorite HH in a long time, and that's saying something because the boys have been on fire lately.

Ever since the "we hate doing the show and are embarrassed by it" line of thinking has come up it's been in peak form. I understand that whole narrative could turn a lot of people off, but it's working like gangbusters for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm gonna buy a Chef Kevin shirt to help the guy out.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I think I'm gonna buy a Chef Kevin shirt to help the guy out.

I literally gasped when he said they sold 6 aprons.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean they/kevin are kind of bad

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean they/kevin are kind of bad

I do have a tshirt sitting in my podswag cart for a long time. Kevin is very funny, but it's an ugly as hell image.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The person they get to do the portraits of Earwolf personalities definitely has a style, which I would describe as..."not great."

I also like Chef Kevin and the concept of the shirt/apron but it is not aesthetically appealing at all.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bosch merch, please

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i think the "speak on that" shirt was probably the only one i would actually wear, maybe if "i love you and im in love with you" did not have such terrible art or it was just the words

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Unmature posted:

I keep hearing they're doing great disses to the Earwolf pay model but I have to support the premium shows that aren't paying people to hear the people who aren't getting paid talk about the shows that aren't paying the guests for the hosts who are getting paid but I have to pay
Oh dear, I've gone crosseyed.

you could always just pirate

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terror Sweat posted:

i think the "speak on that" shirt was probably the only one i would actually wear, maybe if "i love you and im in love with you" did not have such terrible art or it was just the words

I believe Sean described that art as "Making me look like some kinda rear end in a top hat"

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I can't reconcile the thought of someone being an ~indie comic~ while not cursing the idea of work "for exposure" every day. Disappointed in scotty2hottie for that one as well. It's basically a right of passage for anyone in a creative industry to receive that nonsense. @forexposure_txt gets updated a few times a day if you've never been on the receiving end and want to know what people are talking about.

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone, no matter how rich, can not approach it from the perspective of a struggling comic or actor considering the kind of backstory and professional network he has now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

life is a joke posted:

I can't reconcile the thought of someone being an ~indie comic~ while not cursing the idea of work "for exposure" every day. Disappointed in scotty2hottie for that one as well. It's basically a right of passage for anyone in a creative industry to receive that nonsense. @forexposure_txt gets updated a few times a day if you've never been on the receiving end and want to know what people are talking about.

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone, no matter how rich, can not approach it from the perspective of a struggling comic or actor considering the kind of backstory and professional network he has now.

"more money for me, gently caress you"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

life is a joke posted:

no matter how rich

Wealth rots your brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I think part of it is that when the show started it was just Aukerman and a bunch of his comedian friends having fun. Most of the guests over the past like 10 years have been his friends, or people in his comedy sphere that he asks on. I think after 10 years of having PFT show up for free whenever he wants, that Scott has just gotten used to seeing the show as a thing that people come on to do for free for fun.