Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I don't think this turned up earlier in the thread.

Per John McCain's soon-to-be-released book, he's the one who gave Comey the Trump dossier.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mccain-confirms-he-gave-trump-dossier-to-comey-duty-demanded-i-do-it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
What

He must have been VERY concerned

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Arc Light posted:

Per John McCain's soon-to-be-released book, he's the one who gave Comey the Trump dossier.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mccain-confirms-he-gave-trump-dossier-to-comey-duty-demanded-i-do-it

Thats a funny looking doge.

And remind me how all of this poo poo is settling out? Everytime I read another headline I get confused.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arc Light posted:

The catch is that the FBI already had the dossier before McCain handed it to Comey. It's *unclear* if Comey had the dossier earlier, but the FBI definitely had the dossier earlier.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

The catch is that the FBI already had the dossier before McCain handed it to Comey. It's *unclear* if Comey had the dossier earlier, but the FBI definitely had the dossier earlier.

Yeah, I'd read that previously, but I thought it was amusing that McCain just wanted to point out publicly that he, personally, took steps to get the president investigated by the FBI.

He'll almost surely pass before Mueller's investigation concludes, but it's one last middle finger aimed squarely at Trump.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Dead Reckoning is mostly right about how little (immediate) impact breaking the Nuclear Deal has on US standing in the world. Here in the German media, everybody is denouncing it as both a bad decision on the merits (because the deal worked), and morally wrong for unilaterally backing out of the multilateral agreement. But the pervasive theme is helplesness.

If the US implements secondary sanctions, our firms can choose between dealing with the US or with Iran. Which is obviosly no choice at all, given how much more important our trade with the USA is. And a lot of Eastern European governments are huge Trump fans, so we likely can't agree at the EU level on countermeasures to US sanctions. We also still need you to deal with Russia. Transatlantic relations undergird our foreign policy, we would have much less clout if we weren't seen as close allies of the USA.

Basically, a lot of people are sriously pissed off at Trump, but we are powerless to stop it. And our interest are likely better served by remaining close to the US, even though more Middle East instability will hurt us much more than you guys.

If somebody halfway sane follows Trump, we will likely love you guys again.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The emperor demands more kowtowing from his client states! More kowtowing in general!

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Torrannor posted:

I think Dead Reckoning is mostly right about how little (immediate) impact breaking the Nuclear Deal has on US standing in the world. Here in the German media, everybody is denouncing it as both a bad decision on the merits (because the deal worked), and morally wrong for unilaterally backing out of the multilateral agreement. But the pervasive theme is helplesness.

If the US implements secondary sanctions, our firms can choose between dealing with the US or with Iran. Which is obviosly no choice at all, given how much more important our trade with the USA is. And a lot of Eastern European governments are huge Trump fans, so we likely can't agree at the EU level on countermeasures to US sanctions. We also still need you to deal with Russia. Transatlantic relations undergird our foreign policy, we would have much less clout if we weren't seen as close allies of the USA.

Basically, a lot of people are sriously pissed off at Trump, but we are powerless to stop it. And our interest are likely better served by remaining close to the US, even though more Middle East instability will hurt us much more than you guys.

If somebody halfway sane follows Trump, we will likely love you guys again.

It's more the fact that there have been very big deal public statements of intent made recently about shifting the EU away from being so completely dependent on the United States for its defense and foreign policy:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/387067-merkel-europe-cant-count-on-us-to-protect-us-anymore

quote:

Merkel: Europe can no longer rely on US protection
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday that Europe can no longer count on the United States to protect it, urging the continent to “take destiny into its own hands.”

“It is no longer such that the United States simply protects us, but Europe must take its destiny in its own hands. That's the task of the future," she said during a speech honoring French President Emmanuel Macron, according to Agence France-Presse.

Her sharp comments came days after President Trump pulled the U.S. out of the Iran nuclear deal, angering European allies who are parties to the 2015 pact.

Macron echoed Merkel, saying European nations should not allow "other major powers, including allies" to "put themselves in a situation to decide our diplomacy [and] security for us."

For the longest time since 1945/post Suez crisis, there was tacit agreement for the United States to act as security guarantor for Europe and as its leader in international multilateral institutions on the world stage, in which Europe would support the United States of America. This put America in a pretty drat unique and unparalleled position of hegemony as 'leader of the free world'.
The US was accepted as 'leader of the free world' because of it's unrivalled economic power (40% of world GDP post WW2), its unrivalled military power (anchoring NATO), its social governance and quality of life (being a liberal democratic 1st world state that people aspired to), in magnanimously setting up multilateral international institutions in which it involved other nation states in governance (UN, IMF, World Bank) and foreign policy that took into account its partners interests as well as its own.

Now Europe is always going to have to take into account US policy position, because the United States will always be an immensely powerful and important geopolitical actor by virtue of it's integral economic interests, interweaved influence in multilateral institutions and anchoring military power in NATO.

However, the lustre and mystique and moral legitimacy of the America as leader of the free world has been massively diminished over the last 17 years of insanity and the last 2 years of Trump.

The chaos and dysfunction in governance of the United States is not seen as something to aspire to emulate. The sheer political nihilism of the Republican party has no analogue in European politics.
The foreign policy that has waged 17 years of quagmire wars is not seen as something to aspire to emulate. Both horrifying in bodycount and treasure spent.
The toppling of Middle East nation states has resulted in massive refugee crises not seen since WW2, of which Europe has paid the price (>1 million in Germany alone) and the US has not helped for something it has directly loving caused.
The lack of pretense in America First explicitly stating that the interests of its partners will come second to American interests is immensely concerning to its partners.
Threatening of EU Steel interests in trade war tariffs and direct US sanctions on EU companies that have traded with Iran in complete compliance with the JCPOA.

And most Importantly, the complete and utter shattering of the credibility of the word of United States of doing what it will say it will do; in withdrawing from its international agreements (TTIP, TPP, Paris, JCPOA) and its complete swinging unpredictability in foreign policy and use of force.

This made a lot of people in Europe very, very loving concerned, an area of the world where the United states has a GIGANTIC amount of social influence, cultural affinity, past shared history, and economic and military conectedness. And it's resulted in the very first explicit public European intent for policy shifts away from seeing future United States involvement, not just leadership, involvement (expect future developments of a unified EU command and less importance placed upon NATO, TTIP is dead). This is in Europe. In loving Europe

Now, there are areas of the world that the United States doesn't have the same degree of cultural, economic and social influence as it does in Europe. Places where the United States is just another country.

Now say you're in one of those countries and you want to make a deal with the United States over something.
Why would you make a agreement with the United States when it can't even abide by the only agreement in recent history that has had the universal support of every single UNSC P5+1 member and the entire European Union. An agreement of critical importance and credibility that has been painstakingly negotiated over the last decade with the support of every single member of the UN P5+1 security council and the entire European Union. An agreement where the US has completely and suddenly reversed its position to directly opposed and damage the security interests of its allies (in the UK, France, Germany), as well as Russia, China and the entire European Union.

Why the gently caress would you make a deal with the US?

Instead you're going to look to see if there are any other nations can offer a similar deal and benefits?
To see if other nations can offer deals whilst having less strings and preconditions?
To see if other nations are seen as more reliable in those deals?
For what reason should other countries follow Americas lead and take american deals over other nations comparable deals, when it can't even keep a deal as important at the JCPOA?

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Wrt to Dead Reckoning, I think it's useful to see a different perspective, especially one you disagree with. You don't want it to be an echo chamber where people's opinioinss get drowned out if you disagree, instead you tell them why you disagree and why they;re wrong. There's been a lot of people in this thread that have provided specific and reasoned explanations for why his assertions are so so wrong and I've found those explanations rather enlightening

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Dead Reckoning

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mr Crustacean posted:

Wrt to Dead Reckoning, I think it's useful to see a different perspective, especially one you disagree with. You don't want it to be an echo chamber where people's opinioinss get drowned out if you disagree, instead you tell them why you disagree and why they;re wrong. There's been a lot of people in this thread that have provided specific and reasoned explanations for why his assertions are so so wrong and I've found those explanations rather enlightening

DR shouldn't be banned here, of all places. Almost all his posts are effortposts. He interprets data differently than most of the regular posters, but nothing he says is absurd. Dude just comes to a different set of conclusions than most others.

Blocking him and threatening anyone who comes to his defense is something Ralp would have done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Arc Light posted:

DR shouldn't be banned here, of all places. Almost all his posts are effortposts. He interprets data differently than most of the regular posters, but nothing he says is absurd. Dude just comes to a different set of conclusions than most others.

Blocking him and threatening anyone who comes to his defense is something Ralp would have done.

Shut the gently caress up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Wow that throne didn't sit empty long

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flipping the script: Woman attacks man with drain cleaner

http://www.wbtw.com/crime/pee-dee-crime/bennettsville-woman-douses-man-with-acid-police-say/1173453616

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 12, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Free pop dog

Wait wrong subform

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Greetings all!

If your name is Dead Reckoning and you post in this thread in the future, bad things will happen!

Same goes for posting about posting, ie commenting on DR's posting.

stfu about Dead Reckoning jesus christ

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
USPOL is leaking...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress this is so hot

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/995328355317764097?s=19

It's my favorite story type with the twist that the villains even know it's going leak.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Waroduce posted:

Free pop dog

Wait wrong subform

He thirsts

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It's my favorite story type with the twist that the villains even know it's going leak.

Five?!

:laffo:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Free pop dog

Wait wrong subform

Good news friend, he's free in ghost form

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

I wanna bet there were exactly 5 people in that meeting

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This administration brings me back to my time as an E2 at the supply shop where they couldn't figure out if I was attempting sabotage or actually this retarded

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/11/what-we-found-facebook-ads-russians-accused-election-meddling/602319002/

quote:

At least 25% of the ads centered on issues involving crime and policing, often with a racial connotation. Separate ads, launched simultaneously, would stoke suspicion about how police treat black people in one ad, while another encouraged support for pro-police groups.

:raise:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

I'm really not surprised. Leaving behind the intrinsic racism in American culture, post-communist Russia and a lot of the neo-nationalist movements have been founded on the "volk" ideal that drove a lot of 19th and 20th century national identities. Stuff like wicca, neo-pagan and even Celtic identity has been huge into developing a concrete race identity that's lacking in the broader caucasian identity.

This poo poo has been all over Europe for decades, and has always had a foothold in the south and central US, it's now being repackaged for former hippies and hippies who got burned on adapting eastern traditions back in the 60s and 70s.

Boomers and later are a blank canvas for identity protection, and race is the perfect lever to use on that fulcrum.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
2020 I'm running on a platform that breaks down race identify and politics so future generations won't deal with that bullshit. Equality Through Extermination. Vote for me, thanks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

2020 I'm running on a platform that breaks down race identify and politics so future generations won't deal with that bullshit. Equality Through Extermination. Vote for me, thanks.

Up it to brains in jars and I'm in.

E: gently caress that won't work, phrenology will come back in a huge way

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So exactly what the KGB was doing in the 60s, only now with more INTERNET.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MRC48B posted:

This episode of black mirror loving sucks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MRC48B posted:

With a healthy helping of turbo-loving the education system to remove critical thought and American leadership screaming how everything is fake news to remove institutional trust, so you have to only trust sources of information that have enough truthiness. Not knocking Russian effort in this debacle, they've certainly been trying for decades, but their bullshit wouldn't have a crack to pry open if we had not been inflicting the damage on ourselves to start with.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWq_aBiE_s

best mashup ever

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

:piss:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lmao

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I was told not to meme this video :ohdear:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was told not to meme this video :ohdear:

Do you always do everything you're told?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i would not call america right now. not until america gets some therapy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
America is the singer. Canada is the gay recipient.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
America is that jock who would have a crime record if people didn't always cover for him. Canada is the nerdy younger brother who is a genuinely cool person.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Paris knife attacker was apparently on a watchlist; came from Chechnya.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-shot-dead-after-stabbing-bystanders-in-paris-11369887

Ten dead, forty injured in church bombings in Indonesia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44097771

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

America is that jock who would have a crime record if people didn't always cover for him. Canada is the nerdy younger brother who is a genuinely cool person.

But who also has an affinity for bad music and is secretly in a bunch of Discord groups where he threatens to kill first Nations people.

• Locked thread