Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I haven't gotten one in a while. The last War Nerd Newsletter was sent out April 17th.

If you've got Discord I can send you the rss feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I kinda worry about John because it seems like he's sick all the time.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I do not, but thanks! Good to know I’m not just not getting it for some stupid error on patreon’s end or something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

It's also been over a week since the last episode. I'd put it down to him being busy trying to promote the Iliad book.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's also been over a week since the last episode. I'd put it down to him being busy trying to promote the Iliad book.

Yeah, plus we got two full episodes in 3 days last week. I'm assuming they did that since they knew they might be taking a short break due to the Iliad-related poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thug Lessons posted:

He's seemed in much better health lately. As a native Californian, winter is rough on him.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Still, all that travelling has got to be rough on an immune system that was already sickly.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If it comes down to it Catherine Dolan can carry him around everywhere in a cart like Subutai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I know 99% of people who read this thread have already listened to it, but the new episode might make you want to kill yourself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in which way? like the tragedy of the entire situation and/or the description on how starving your enemy plays out?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's just the worst way to die imaginable, and we're doing it to infants.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We talk8ng abortion m8s?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

We talk8ng abortion m8s?

the late term abortion diet

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
that island sounded cool

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
so i subscribed to the patreon now how do i get this poo poo on my phone?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

download the patreon app to your phone lol

If you've got discord I can give you the rss link. They only give it out in the subscriber newsletter but it's been a month since the last one.

e: full disclosure - I really do have the patreon app on my phone and never mess with rss

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i'll contact you on the dbhq discord

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Part of what makes the War Nerd great is the coverage of topics that rarely get discussed elsewhere, often with really interesting guests. Episodes I would particularly recommend to someone who is working through the show's backlog would be 29 (the Nagorno-Karabakh war, an interesting incident from the break up of the USSR), 40 (the Ethiopia-Eritrea War), anything with Karl Zha, and especially episdoe 76 where they interview the late Robert Parry, a very important American investigate journalist who helped break some of the biggest stories of the 1980s on Reagan's dirty war in south America. The Joshua Landis interview in episode 118 was a really interesting Afrin-centric episode on Syria and 117 on the bizarre history of the MEK in Iran is worth a listen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Mujahideen E Khalk episode is absolutely insane, and a great listen.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The Sci-Fi and fascism episode is a classic, though I'm sure its been recommended before.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Helsing posted:

and especially episode 76 where they interview the late Robert Parry, a very important American investigate journalist who helped break some of the biggest stories of the 1980s on Reagan's dirty war in south America.

This one is particularly great, but of all the War Nerd episodes this probably left me the most depressed. Parry did fantastic journalism and seemed to just get hosed over at every opportunity...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Part of what makes the War Nerd great is the coverage of topics that rarely get discussed elsewhere, often with really interesting guests. Episodes I would particularly recommend to someone who is working through the show's backlog would be 29 (the Nagorno-Karabakh war, an interesting incident from the break up of the USSR), 40 (the Ethiopia-Eritrea War), anything with Karl Zha, and especially episdoe 76 where they interview the late Robert Parry, a very important American investigate journalist who helped break some of the biggest stories of the 1980s on Reagan's dirty war in south America. The Joshua Landis interview in episode 118 was a really interesting Afrin-centric episode on Syria and 117 on the bizarre history of the MEK in Iran is worth a listen.

shout out to the podcast for having the only covering I heard about the Iraqi communist party months before they even formed a coalition with al-sadr

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Download podcast addict and you can basically subscribe to a zillion podcast rss feeds that you'll never listen to, with a really great interface at that. Plus the download process is super easy. For RWN though you'll need to input the rss link

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I'd also like to chime in and recommend the Sinn Fein "Bullets to Ballots" Strategy (#75) episode and the Good Friday Agreement episode (#122), since they give a really comprehensive and educational overview of something that people allude to, but I didn't know the details of.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Isn't the rss link in the rewards email or whatever patreon sends out when you subscribe?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

How Darwinian posted:

This one is particularly great, but of all the War Nerd episodes this probably left me the most depressed. Parry did fantastic journalism and seemed to just get hosed over at every opportunity...

Parry seems to mark the transition point from oppositional journalism to the US taking control of major news places as propaganda outlets especially re: foreign policy. Pretty funny that the ""liberal"" new york times was taking marching orders from Reagan's government.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you send them a note on the Patreon for a copy of the last newsletter, they'll send it to you.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mark Ames has repeatedly alluded to the Church committee as a sort of 'American Perestroika', and talks about that brief post-Watergate moment when journalists seemed like public heroes and some of them actually prided themselves on being independent minded and tough enough to dig deep into the establishment's dirty secrets. The Parry episode is about as close as we've gotten to a deep dig into that topic and how after that brief moment it all came crashing down. I thought it was especially interesting how Parry discussed the way that senior editors in the media were very actively supportive of the Reagan administration and its efforts to instill a new sense of optimistic patriotism in a heavily demoralized population.

I hope they get around to do an episode on the cultural turn in the late 70s / early 80s where it seems like there was a significant elite consensus about the need to reign in the excesses of the 1970s. There are plenty of discussions in both the academic and popular press about the economic backlash (the destruction of unions, the transition to a 'lean' or 'neoliberal' state, etc) but there hasn't been nearly as much attention paid to the cultural side of things (at least so far as I am aware).

I guess that Episode 51 on the Red Scare, and specifically on the novel 'The Spike', also covers some of this ground.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mark Ames has also talked about how Americans pretty much didn't want to know about what was revealed by the Church committee and did their best to forget about it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
A while back I sent them an e-mail requesting the newsletter back catalogue (which they'd offered new subs) and around 4am the next morning my phone went off about 50 times as each newsletter was sent individually.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

snoremac posted:

A while back I sent them an e-mail requesting the newsletter back catalogue (which they'd offered new subs) and around 4am the next morning my phone went off about 50 times as each newsletter was sent individually.

lmao

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I'm listening to old episodes and in episode 32 they read and make fun of some crappy articles from 2004 that talk about Iraqi shias not supporting Moqtada Sadr lol

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Is there a free War Nerd podcast? Or is everything on the subscriber stream?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Everything is subscription but they’ve unlocked a bunch of episodes for free. Basically anything reposted on their Patreon.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Cheers

He just posted this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/thewarnerd/status/997818142482227201?s=21

As an Australian I am severely tempted to subscribe anyway just to listen to this

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Cheers

He just posted this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/thewarnerd/status/997818142482227201?s=21

As an Australian I am severely tempted to subscribe anyway just to listen to this

Here's a taste:
https://pando.com/2015/05/03/the-war-nerd-escape-from-east-timor-part-one/
https://pando.com/2015/05/13/the-war-nerd-escape-from-east-timor-part-two/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I'd also recommend Episode 56: The Sikh Empire, and any of the episodes with William Hogeland (63, 85, 91) who is a great historian about early post-independence America. As a non-American I learned a lot.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Trigger warning: the Australian government aren't the good guys in this story, though John does take pains to separate them from Australian people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dreylad posted:

I'd also recommend Episode 56: The Sikh Empire, and any of the episodes with William Hogeland (63, 85, 91) who is a great historian about early post-independence America. As a non-American I learned a lot.

As an American, I also learned a lot from the Hogeland episodes. Fascinating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I emailed John and he got back to me saying there’s a newsletter going out tomorrow, in case you’ve been waiting on that.