Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read some New Teen Titans stuff I've had on my shelf for a while and in their first ever crossover with the Outsiders there's a scene where Halo's showing Raven her room saying, "This is my room! And this is all my stuff!" and Raven replies, "Like you, it is full of joy and laughter," while her thought bubble says, "Two things my EVIL father, the demon TRIGON THE TERRIBLE, never allowed ME to have!"

My point is that the Teen Titans Go! episode where they get serious was actually toning it down.

Yeah, the 80s Teen Titans is really melodramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Roth posted:

Raven's original portrayal was as new age hippie until the cartoon.

Goths are modern hippies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Goths are modern hippies.

Goths tend to not smell like unwashed rear end in a top hat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Goths tend to not smell like unwashed rear end in a top hat.

Yeah they do, that's why we tried to keep them out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends on the goths tbh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Yeah, the 80s Teen Titans is really melodramatic.

Oh, I love it for how overwrought it is, particularly how Wally West seems to hate the rest of the team. Do you remember the one where Red Star shows up and they're going, "You American imperialist!" / "You Soviet oppressor!" and eventually Robin tells him to knock it off and Wally goes full-on right-wing persecution complex and whinges about how Robin and Donna Troy are East coast liberals who don't respect him because he's a mid-western conservative?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, of course, it was just a joke because his version is rather famous.

Thank god! Sorry for doubting you. Carry on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I love it for how overwrought it is, particularly how Wally West seems to hate the rest of the team. Do you remember the one where Red Star shows up and they're going, "You American imperialist!" / "You Soviet oppressor!" and eventually Robin tells him to knock it off and Wally goes full-on right-wing persecution complex and whinges about how Robin and Donna Troy are East coast liberals who don't respect him because he's a mid-western conservative?

Ah yes. Gotham and Paradise Island, notorious Blue States.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Question IRL posted:

Ah yes. Gotham and Paradise Island, notorious Blue States.

Gotham is basically New York isn't it? And Themyscira is hardcore enough about it they don't allow men on their island period. Doesn't really seem like THAT much of a stretch if someone is just looking to make an argument about their own victimhood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Teen Titans were a bit unusual because they were explicitly based out of New York rather than a fictional city. Kid Flash just didn't go in for their New York values. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Gotham is basically New York isn't it? And Themyscira is hardcore enough about it they don't allow men on their island period. Doesn't really seem like THAT much of a stretch if someone is just looking to make an argument about their own victimhood.

I always thought Gotham was supposed to be in New Jersey with a dash of 1930’s mobbed up Chicago vibe for good measure. Metropolis was the New York City analog.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Proteus Jones posted:

I always thought Gotham was supposed to be in New Jersey with a dash of 1930’s mobbed up Chicago vibe for good measure. Metropolis was the New York City analog.

Metropolis is New York City during the day, Gotham is NYC at night.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Proteus Jones posted:

Gotham is New York at night, Metropolis is New York in the day. The Nolan films made it more like Chicago, and there's probably some other things too, but there's a ton of stories that make it important that Gotham is on the East coast (every Batman story involving an overseas shipment of something, which is a way more than you'd think).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Are we just gonna leave this one behind? What is this?

In order to promote the blu-ray release of that movie, they got a lot of the actors together and filmed a spoof 1970s sci-fi disco music video, with David Hasselhoff in it, and put it on the internet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I thought New York was New York in DC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

I thought New York was New York in DC.

Both exist. And Metropolis is alternately based on Cleveland and Toronto according to interviews with Siegel and Shuster back int he day.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If I remember correctly, the explanation from JLA/Avengers is that the DC universe has a bunch of extra cities along the east coast and great lakes, as well as more land for them to occupy. That's the most comic books answer, so it must be true.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 12, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bongo Bill posted:

If I remember correctly, the explanation from JLA/Avengers is that the DC universe has a bunch of extra cities along the east coast and great lakes, as well as more land for them to occupy.

How does that work? Did the United states seize the southeastern part of Canada?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

prefect posted:

Metropolis is New York City during the day, Gotham is NYC at night.

Metropolis is New York if it votes Republican, Gotham is New York if it votes Democrat.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I thought DCU earth was just plain bigger than regular earth. There's extra countries too (and not all of them are submerged in the oceans!).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The planet is larger. It's also how they fit in the extra countries when they need to.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No, the DC Earth is just bigger than Marvel Earth because reasons.

I can buy a place like Gotham being blue because that's most major cities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

How does that work? Did the United states seize the southeastern part of Canada?

It's just bigger. It's one of those things you don't want to think about too much. At some point in one of the Marvel DC crossovers it's mentioned that the Earth in DC is physically larger than the Earth in Marvel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We all said it, so it's gotta be true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goatface posted:

We all said it, so it's gotta be true.

Imagine how much longer a New York to Seattle flight (or vice versa) must take.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Imagine how much longer a New York to Seattle flight (or vice versa) must take.

They have the Speed Force over there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Roth posted:

No, the DC Earth is just bigger than Marvel Earth because reasons.

I can buy a place like Gotham being blue because that's most major cities.

I think it's probably easier to skew Gotham as being red because we usually see it through the eyes of Batman, who's absolutely a Republican.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cleretic posted:

I think it's probably easier to skew Gotham as being red because we usually see it through the eyes of Batman, who's absolutely a Republican.

Nah, Bruce is a massive bleeding heart who votes Dem because of his views on the death penalty.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Roth posted:

Nah, Bruce is a massive bleeding heart who votes Dem because of his views on the death penalty.

Batman's an incredibly wealthy white guy who feels the best solution to crime is physical assault, and who frequently espouses authoritarian ideals. Dude couldn't be more right-leaning if he was wearing a MAGA hat and spouting off about Benghazi.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'd probably start voting more conservatively if being robbed/held hostage/killed by a super villain was real thing that could realistically happen at any time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prefect posted:

They have the Speed Force over there.

Airplanes don't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can Marvel just make a month where Sabretooth is inexplicably named leader of every team? Please?

And of course it works out about as well as you'd expect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'd probably start voting more conservatively if being robbed/held hostage/killed by a super villain was real thing that could realistically happen at any time.

That doesn't match with any voting patterns in America at all. When's the last time Chicago or Baltimore had a republican mayor?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's just bigger. It's one of those things you don't want to think about too much. At some point in one of the Marvel DC crossovers it's mentioned that the Earth in DC is physically larger than the Earth in Marvel.

(Ah flashbacks to my battle board days.)

This was argued back in the day whether the Marvel Earth was smaller than the DC Earth.

It's a line that comes up in JLAvengers. They don't say that the DC Earth is bigger. Just that they aren't the exact same size. The implication being that DC America and Marvel America don't perfectly overlap because of extra cities.
Then there would be Marvel Europe and DC Europe where they have different countries so it wouldn't perfectly map.

I do remember someone arguing that meant DC had to be larger because "DC Earth has extra cities while Marvel Earth has extra countries. And cities are bigger than countries."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skwirl posted:

That doesn't match with any voting patterns in America at all. When's the last time Chicago or Baltimore had a republican mayor?

I can't speak for Chicago, but I know Baltimore's was before I was born. Wikipedia has it at 1967, so WELL before I was born.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Skwirl posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Bush being re-elected largely on the logic that "he's kept us safe". But let's not turn a dumb joke into a politics derail.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

X-O posted:

Can Marvel just make a month where Sabretooth is inexplicably named leader of every team? Please?

And of course it works out about as well as you'd expect.

I know it's such a small thing, but I'm glad to see Omega Red is keeping with his super communist costume and ponytail almost as long as his robo tentacles.

I guess when you are frozen ten times as often as Captain America, your fashion sense doesn't have much time to change.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Section Z posted:

I know it's such a small thing, but I'm glad to see Omega Red is keeping with his super communist costume and ponytail almost as long as his robo tentacles.

I guess when you are frozen ten times as often as Captain America, your fashion sense doesn't have much time to change.

And fashion is cyclical. He's been around enough to know as soon as he changes his look - BAM - Commie Octopus is going to be the new hotness. He's biding his time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gotham always seemed like an amalgam of every dying passed-over northeastern city suffering from deindustrialization. It's Trenton and Camden and Baltimore and Atlantic City, with echoes of Youngstown and Detroit and Gary.

Metropolis is everything that's good about New York City, sparkling in the bright sunshine. It's Broadway and the fashion industry and the publishing industry and all the museums and Central Park and famous skyscrapers and the skating rink at Rockefeller Center and Columbia University and NYU and colorful ethnic neighborhoods with tons of excellent restaurants and conventions and tourists and the constant hum of new construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FMguru posted:

Gotham always seemed like an amalgam of every dying passed-over northeastern city suffering from deindustrialization. It's Trenton and Camden and Baltimore and Atlantic City, with echoes of Youngstown and Detroit and Gary.

Yeah.

Now, if only there was a rich guy who had enough clout and pull to get his city back on its feet, who had a major corporation backing him. Man, he could create jobs with excellent security for every single citizen in his city.

Guy like that could be a hero.