Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Garrand posted:

I have a very distinct memory of a guy doing that during rush hour traffic; every time traffic would move he'd floor it and then have to slam on the brakes seconds later. I don't know what the hell he was thinking. I was behind him in the left lane for a bit but when I saw what was going on I just got in the slower right lane and stayed there. About 2 minutes down the way I caught up with him again. He had rear ended the person in front of him.

This story makes me feel good. I hope he enjoys his higher insurance rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I really think that some people treat the pedals as on/off switches and don't realize that they are variable. Accelerate to 70 mph, let the car just coast until it's going 60, back on 100% throttle until it hits 70 again, repeat forever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"I'm not in this job to clean up poo poo."

So why did you pursue a career in care and nursing, fuckwit.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the Leper's Colony isn't viewable in the Android version of the Awful app <:mad:>

poptart_fairy posted:

"I'm not in this job to clean up poo poo."

So why did you pursue a career in care and nursing, fuckwit.

I have worked closely with many, many nurses and they are something else

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I really think that some people treat the pedals as on/off switches and don't realize that they are variable. Accelerate to 70 mph, let the car just coast until it's going 60, back on 100% throttle until it hits 70 again, repeat forever.

I hate the people who think you must be pushing a pedal at all times. And this is insanely common as I would say that every time I drive at singe point I'm behind someone and their brake lights come on. I will just take my foot off the gas and find that doing so slows me down enough that I do not close the distance at all. They're hitting their brakes so lightly they're effectively doing nothing. But they gotta push it! Can't not be pushing a pedal!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also, inexplicably slamming on brakes right at the start of a hill, as if they want to give their car a moment to rest before starting the ascent.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pastry of the Year posted:

the Leper's Colony isn't viewable in the Android version of the Awful app <:mad:>

I have worked closely with many, many nurses and they are something else

Used to work with one nurse that was queasy around blood and vomit. Fair enough - we were in a residential home at the time, and these weren't hugely common for the people we were looking after.

She took a job in a hospital.

Yeeeeah, didn't think that one through too well. Within a week she'd quit that and was trying for her old job - was all but told to gently caress off by management because she'd apparently been slating the home and its carers.

We are a bunch of drama queens.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Master Twig posted:

I hate the people who think you must be pushing a pedal at all times. And this is insanely common as I would say that every time I drive at singe point I'm behind someone and their brake lights come on. I will just take my foot off the gas and find that doing so slows me down enough that I do not close the distance at all. They're hitting their brakes so lightly they're effectively doing nothing. But they gotta push it! Can't not be pushing a pedal!

What's just as bad are the people who don't seem confident enough to rev their engine over 2k rpm, so their speed up hills or anywhere they have to accelerate is incredibly frustrating.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Master Twig posted:

I do sometimes put a tiny bit of pressure on the brakes so the person behind me knows I'm slowing down intentionally.

And if you're behind someone in stop-and-go traffic who is pedal to the floor on gas/brakes why should that affect you? You're not foced to do the same thing, just continue driving like a reasonable person and it shouldn't be a problem. That person in front of you shouldn't be your only indication of what traffic is doing anyway, always look ahead and you won't be surprised very often.

I tend to treat pretty much everybody in traffic is the enemy and try not to make any assumptions based on what they "should" be doing.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Master Twig posted:

The thing about this for me is that there is no roadworthiness test for cars in the states (well, Illinois at least. And emissions don't count). So you have no idea about the condition of the car (or driver) in front of you. I'm sick of seeing a car brake and only the left side lights up. And that's compounded by the moronic idea that the brake light can serve as the indicator light. So you don't really know if they're braking or indicating (the latter is not very likely to be honest). So there's a chance that they have to hit the brakes.

In other words, you can't trust the fucker in front of you. If their brake lights come on, be prepared to brake. You should be leaving a good distance between you and them anyway, but if you don't like how they're driving, back off.

And if you have to change lane, take a turn etc, indicate BEFORE you move. Not halfway through or after. BEFORE you move. And only move if it's safe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best thing about the brake-light-as-blinker is when someone is cruising along with their hazards on, then suddenly turn! But you have no idea!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My very special favorite version of this vroom-BRAKE bullshit is when you're on a slightly too crowded bus and the driver is doing this on a slightly too warm day.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I hate when you're at a red light in front with your right blinker on and the person behind starts honking at you. Yes, guy, I know that I could theoretically turn right but there's a huge bush blocking my sight of the oncoming lane and I'm not gonna risk that poo poo. And pulling up won't work because there's a bend in that road I can't see past without pulling far enough to get hit anyways. Wait ten seconds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I had a fucker leeaaANnnnn on his horn when I didn't turn for a green right arrow. I guess I was supposed to go under the fire truck with its flashers on.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Used to work with one nurse that was queasy around blood and vomit. Fair enough - we were in a residential home at the time, and these weren't hugely common for the people we were looking after.

She took a job in a hospital.

Yeeeeah, didn't think that one through too well. Within a week she'd quit that and was trying for her old job - was all but told to gently caress off by management because she'd apparently been slating the home and its carers.

We are a bunch of drama queens.

I work in dementia care and of course almost everyone working here believes in lunacy for some reason.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who apparently can't stand watching anything that isn't crisp 1080p/4k video without complaining. Look at any youtube video that isn't perfect and there will be comments saying "was this recorded on a potato" etc. Especially when they do it on old videos. It is clearly a recording from a vhs tape, it's like they aren't even aware that video technologies before bluray etc existed.

They are the video version of audiophiles except more annoying because instead of mostly keeping to themselves and going broke on pieces of wood and monster cables they insist on making sure everyone is aware that the video is not up to their demanding standards.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ppl who speed on the 25mph residential street and then have to come to a sudden complete stop for each speed bump

like yall are the reason they put in speed bumps!! slow the gently caress down!!

it's funnier when ppl just hit the speed bumps at 40mph and you hear poo poo clunk though

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also, inexplicably slamming on brakes right at the start of a hill, as if they want to give their car a moment to rest before starting the ascent.

I hate this so much. We have a hill near the turn-off for our apartment, and people do this all the time.
The other one that pisses me off is the people who ride their brakes down the entire hill. If you had just been doing the speed limit when you started the hill, you can get down without touching any pedal at all.

Jimmysip
Aug 27, 2012
My pet peeve is when people go to the movies and leave all their trash for the attendants to clear up instead of taking them to the bins provided in the lobby. Also littering in general, no excuse for it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jimmysip posted:

My pet peeve is when people go to the movies and leave all their trash for the attendants to clear up instead of taking them to the bins provided in the lobby. Also littering in general, no excuse for it!

And people who leave their plates at cafe tables, so the lone barista has to bus them. Although what usually happens is they stay there while everyone avoids that table, until some poor sap has to clean up someone else's mess just to sit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

I had a fucker leeaaANnnnn on his horn when I didn't turn for a green right arrow. I guess I was supposed to go under the fire truck with its flashers on.

I had one of those, I just gave him the finger after the 4rd time he did it. It was pretty funny to watch him flail around like George Costanza

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had one of those, I just gave him the finger after the 4rd time he did it. It was pretty funny to watch him flail around like George Costanza

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

And people who leave their plates at cafe tables, so the lone barista has to bus them. Although what usually happens is they stay there while everyone avoids that table, until some poor sap has to clean up someone else's mess just to sit.

Most chain places do it but really there should be a clear place to leave your stuff. If I leave my plate and cup at the table, it's because there is no clear place to deposit it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

wtf even is the alternative to leaving it, i've never seen or heard of anything different

am i supposed to be throwing the plates into the garbage???

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a bin right up front for the plates at most every cafe in my area, at least. The barista grabs that and does the dishes. I guess this might be a culture thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah most places around here have bins like that, which is probably the best way to do it, but if you're going to do that, make it very clear. There's a coffee shop near my work that I go to that has its bins tucked inconspicuously under the bar that has the cream and sugar, and nobody ever sees it so there's constantly a little cluster of dirty dishes sitting at the end of the barista counter.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Brawnfire posted:

People who honk in situations where nobody can actually do anything about it are the worst. I've been honked at while pulled up as far as possible in a goddamn drive-thru. Dude, do you really think I can somehow magically make this line move, or are you just expressing anger through your car?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Jimmysip posted:

Also littering in general, no excuse for it!

My mum got caught with a fine for throwing a cig butt out the car window last year and I was genuinely joyful. Punish all litterbugs severely. When I was a smoker I would have gross af coat pockets because I would pocket them or stick them back in the pack until I found a bin. It was disgusting but not as disgusting as throwing it on the drat ground for someone else to pick up or a pigeon to choke on.

I also want to start a blog shaming the people near me who do not pick up their dogs poo poo. I never thought I would be That Person but it’s like running a loving gauntlet to get to the train in the mornings. There are bins everywhere on this road you lazy shitfucks.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

I also want to start a blog shaming the people near me who do not pick up their dogs poo poo. I never thought I would be That Person but it’s like running a loving gauntlet to get to the train in the mornings. There are bins everywhere on this road you lazy shitfucks.

I really really hate these people. It's safer to walk in the street than on the sidewalks at night/before sunrise in the morning because too many people just leave the poo poo there. It's especially egregious because once every couple blocks or so there's trash cans with free dogshit bags. I know it's gross to pick up poo poo even through a bag, but you bought the dog, it's part of the deal especially if they're making GBS threads on sidewalks.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I know it's gross to pick up poo poo even through a bag, but you bought the dog, it's part of the deal especially if they're making GBS threads on sidewalks.

Life hack: don't feed your dog absolute garbage bargain-basement quality food and their poo poo isn't even that offensive.

Tho people not caring for their animals correctly is more than a pet-related pet peeve for me, it makes me genuinely angry-sad. I pup-sit a friend's dog fairly often and they feed her Pedigree Chum then wonder why her farts are so terrible. Her shits are gag inducing sometimes but I still scoop it (as I do, I try and think of ways to get preachy af about basic dog nutrition without coming off as preachy which is impossible.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

People who honk in situations where nobody can actually do anything about it are the worst. I've been honked at while pulled up as far as possible in a goddamn drive-thru. Dude, do you really think I can somehow magically make this line move, or are you just expressing anger through your car?

It’s always the latter

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not a huge peeve of mine, but I'm mildly annoyed about campaigns to save canceled TV shows. It's not that they don't work, or anything, far from it. It's that they succeed just enough that the fans of practically every canceled show thinks it'll work, even when they generally don't.

I mean, great if it works, but most of the time it's obvious that a canceled show ain't coming back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a huge peeve of mine, but I'm mildly annoyed about campaigns to save canceled TV shows. It's not that they don't work, or anything, far from it. It's that they succeed just enough that the fans of practically every canceled show thinks it'll work, even when they generally don't.

I mean, great if it works, but most of the time it's obvious that a canceled show ain't coming back.

I waited over 15 years and now my favorite show came back as a comic book, and now a TV movie. Never thought it would, but enough people made noise to cause it to come back.

It’s always worth doing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fox just canceled Brooklyn Nine-Nine. A bunch of fans said HEY WHAT WAS THAT FOR and NBC said Okay, okay, we'll pick it up. Like, over the course of a day or two, max.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thank you two for exemplifying the whole "remembers the notable times it has worked but forgot the other thousand times it doesn't" thing I was referring to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had no idea people liked Lucifer. It was the top trending topic on Twitter the other day because it was cancelled. I saw the first few episodes and it was just another dumb cop show.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Thank you two for exemplifying the whole "remembers the notable times it has worked but forgot the other thousand times it doesn't" thing I was referring to.

Okay? Why shouldn't people be upset about something they like being cancelled and see if they can't get it to come back? It works sometimes, so why not try?

Like, is "people like things" your pet peeve here?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Okay? Why shouldn't people be upset about something they like being cancelled and see if they can't get it to come back? It works sometimes, so why not try?

Because it normally doesn't work, and is (generally) about bubble shows that makes their cancelation not much of a surprise in the first place. I'd rather not have the double sting of losing a show and demonstrating why it was cancelled by trying and failing to get it picked up elsewhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Because it normally doesn't work, and is (generally) about bubble shows that makes their cancelation not much of a surprise in the first place. I'd rather not have the double sting of losing a show and demonstrating why it was cancelled by trying and failing to get it picked up elsewhere.

Sometimes it does work??

Like now more shows are getting reboots or movies or whatever. Think about all the shows that were cancelled with a huge fan base that found life elsewhere?

You have Firefly which got a theatrical movie, Arrested Development which got two more seasons on Netflix, Community which was on Yahoo, Twin Peaks which came back on Showtime and was directed by David Lynch and starred like 95% of the original cast.

Maybe 5 years ago this is true. But now you have a good chance of seeing the things you like come back in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People, it's just better to never try