Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Today's parrot of the day is the Nanday Conure/Black Capped Parakeet! Which is what my bird Kiwi is! Behold better pictures of Nanday birds than I can ever take of mine cause she immediately launches at me as soon as I get close for love and cuddles.

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/994814284768169985?s=20

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/994805143211331586?s=20

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/994903031685644288?s=20

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/994920330136203265?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I put some mixed nuts in a bowl on the coffee table. Turns out Sera really likes cashews and he picks through the bowl to find them.

Then nut pieces end up on the floor because he's a messy eater.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can we have scrouton Saturday too???

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
Does anyone want a gently used conure? Like scritches, screaming at all things, chewing walls, chewing paper, chewing paint off of furniture, and enjoys a bite/woo and puke on relationship with fingers. Will continue to be a turd nugget until, oh, October or so.

He ate the drat drywall off the corner of wall by his cage. WTF? Is spring over with yet??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My two parakeets, Blue and Yellow as my father calls them (I call them Chuck Two and Tito Two) need to go get their first ever nail trimmings. They aren't even vaguely tame. I'm currently on a walker and have big problems bending and reaching.

How the sweet hell am I going to trick these tiny jerks to get into a travel cage?!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

My two parakeets, Blue and Yellow as my father calls them (I call them Chuck Two and Tito Two) need to go get their first ever nail trimmings. They aren't even vaguely tame. I'm currently on a walker and have big problems bending and reaching.

How the sweet hell am I going to trick these tiny jerks to get into a travel cage?!

seeds?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Logic does not work on these birds.

When Mrs. Yellow escaped at night once, she went to the stove and sat there until we woke up. She was resting on the only teflon coated pan I own.

Birb is fine. :)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Logic does not work on these birds.

When Mrs. Yellow escaped at night once, she went to the stove and sat there until we woke up. She was resting on the only teflon coated pan I own.

Birb is fine. :)

gently caress You I’m A Bird

You just need to convince them the travel cage is the only place you don’t want them

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DarkHorse posted:

gently caress You I’m A Bird

You just need to convince them the travel cage is the only place you don’t want them

When my budgie is in poo poo Bird Mode he will only do the opposite of what he is supposed to do.

Our relationship is strained once again. I let him have his favorite bell (jingle bell on a string) back and the past three days have just been budgie tetherball. I just don't exist when he has the bell. I only matter when he wants a kiss or when i grind weed

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

When my budgie is in poo poo Bird Mode he will only do the opposite of what he is supposed to do.

Our relationship is strained once again. I let him have his favorite bell (jingle bell on a string) back and the past three days have just been budgie tetherball. I just don't exist when he has the bell. I only matter when he wants a kiss or when i grind weed

I am waiting for the inevitable moment when Serra the cockatiel accidentally flaps her way onto my father's weed tray. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
PYF again.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That has to be painful.

Straight to the shower and pray the bird can recover from the panic?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm pretty sure that's from the terrible Adam Sandler movie Jack and Jill.

The bird is CGI iirc.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thank heavens. That picture has always been upsetting.

Edit - yeah there's some YouTube clips of a clearly digital effect

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

It's the only funny scene in the entire movie. It's such a cockatoo thing to do (if it wasn't so scalding hot).

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
chockatoo

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Just giving out a Happy Mother's Day to you bird parents (parronts) out there...hope y'all have a great day!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sekkira posted:

It's the only funny scene in the entire movie. It's such a cockatoo thing to do (if it wasn't so scalding hot).

I laughed, then I was horrified, now I can laugh again.

Seriously, if it wasn't hot, that's THE MOST cockatoo thing ever.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Good news! Chocolate fountains don't typically run much hotter than "pleasantly warm", since people often have their fingers near it. The chocolate stays liquid by virtue of motion and a particularly high fat/oil content. So, you all can put the logical horror of the situation aside, and enjoy the most cockatoo scene ever imagined in film.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The look on its face in the second frame is basically "Parrots.jpg"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so its been a month since the Cockatiel invaded our backyard and became part of our life.

hes doing pretty good! his tail feathers are pretty long now and its becoming very apparent he needs a bigger cage, which we are working on. Someone from my GFs work has one she is going to give us.

he's taken pretty well to eating a seed mix that has no sunflower seeds in it, in addition to enjoying chewing newspaper or leafy greens (either buk choy or gum leaves from outside). we use sunflower seeds and millet to train him.

hes very bitey though. VERY. he hates hands. we have spent 2 weeks trying to train him to get onto our finger and all he does is bite at us. thankfully it doesnt hurt, but I feel like as he grows thats going to change.

anywho, we made a biiiiig leap in progress on that last night. since he seems to hate hands, but not our faces (putting your hand near the cage he gets into bitey mode, putting your face near the cage gets no response) I decided to put a sock on my hand and try again.

he has trouble getting off the top off his cage and back inside, since the top is curved and he slides down it/cant figure out how to climb down the front of the cage. so I placed my sock-hand flat, palm down as a platform in front of him and lured him out onto it with the millet. After a few bites and a couple of freak outs when I started to move my hand away from the cage, he finally figured it out and now is at the point where he will get onto the hand without too much hassle. still not a big fan of it moving around, even slowly. lots of praise/good noises and a treat when he performs exactly how we want, and then a 5-10min break before we try again, and ignoring him if hes bad.

So now that we are at that point, i guess we have to slowly ween him onto perching on a finger using some black gloves to match the black sock, and then eventually just ditch the sock.

its kinda weird because hes super chill around us, to the point he will walk out of his cage, onto the couch and get quite close to us, but hands seem to freak him right the gently caress out. even if they are offering treats!

Finally, its super hilarious putting cockatiel videos on the TV and watching him lose his mind at the sight of another bird. the best one is this one, because it makes him fly directly at the TV and then around the room excitedly. we are going to give him a chance to use our shower in the next few days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXDptHCNdg

Bonus: he got a little scared when we were hand-training him at one point and flew onto my head, where he tap danced around for a while. that was the weirdest sensation I have ever felt in my life.

we havent really named him yet but "cheeky" seems to be what we refer to him as for now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's a love story in the making :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
HEY EVERYBODY! Time for your first Serra Sunday!

Let's see how she is doing.

Awwwww....

My God, you are actually looking at the camera! You aren't scared for once!

Wait a second...it looks like time to investigate...

WARK!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my god look at the baby :swoon:

She looks quite the charmer. Such a happy little tiel :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
She's a delight :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does anyone else have a cockatiel that just never wants to go to bed, ever?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone else have a cockatiel that just never wants to go to bed, ever?

Yeah, my Sera (not to be confused with the lovely Serra up there) is like this. Ozzy is very particular about going to bed on time, but Sera would stay up all night if I let him. In fact, he'll get fussy and defensive if he sees me put Ozzy to bed and he's not ready.

I usually will just give him a half hour or so and try again. Eventually he'll be like, yeah okay I'm ready for this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nemo is like 80 in cockatiel years, has arthritic feet, and is either unwilling or incapable of actually biting. But she will not go to bed willingly. Whining, fake-biting, and flying off her cage with no particular destination in mind are daily occurrences, not that it does any harm.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Every time me or my partner are about to take a bath or shower, if Potato is out he comes running (flying?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GaJ4jztLRo

I have no idea how to embed this imgur video without it being page breakingly huge

https://imgur.com/Df1H5D0

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 15, 2018

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bandit the baby black-capped conure is getting settled but she needs to have something to chew on whenever she’s not asleep. Working as designed?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Shark Sandwich posted:

Bandit the baby black-capped conure is getting settled but she needs to have something to chew on whenever she’s not asleep. Working as designed?

Oh def. Now to find what she's particular to. Wood? Rope? Fingers? Anything expensive?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

For the people with Senegals which have been through puberty, how much longer do I have to endure this?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shirec posted:

Oh def. Now to find what she's particular to. Wood? Rope? Fingers? Anything expensive?

Mostly wood, rope, paper, with a side of shredding my cuticles. I get that because she’s just shy of six months she’s in chew the planet mode but while we’re getting along fine I feel bad that she wants to go straight for cuticles when I let her out. Should I start giving junk mail for her to chew on when she’s out or what? Charlie was a biter rear end in a top hat in puberty but as a baby he wasn’t so singleminded in his quest to chew everything.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

kzin602 posted:

Every time me or my partner are about to take a bath or shower, if Potato is out he comes running (flying?).

I have no idea how to embed this imgur video without it being page breakingly huge

:3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Potato just wants to get clean, too!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

An accurate reflection of when I’m trying to talk to someone and my birds are there

https://twitter.com/OntarioSPCA/status/996371714626945025

Also just a good video

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Kate and I were getting increasingly aggravated at each other until I said "Oh, the living room is basically a bird echo chamber. We shouldn't try to talk to each other across it."

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
God that parrot roars

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kzin602 posted:

Amadeus is obsessed with showers too :allears:

Conures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Post Ama :colbert: