Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a galley kitchen and a full door doesn’t really work for the space. If you have new construction with a big open floor plan I can see a regular full door working but in my kitchen it’s a non starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Meh. No built-in water dispenser means I have to use one of those water filter pitches, which take up space.

But yeah, I understand what you mean. I'll be on the lookout.

So the verdict is: don't wait for a sale, and buy the fridge I need right away?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Meh. No built-in water dispenser means I have to use one of those water filter pitches, which take up space.

But yeah, I understand what you mean. I'll be on the lookout.

So the verdict is: don't wait for a sale, and buy the fridge I need right away?

You could get the type of filter that attaches to your sink faucet, but I've never owned one of those so I don't know if they're good or whatever

Actually I'd like to ask what folks around here do for water filtration, we're looking at replacing our fridge (a side-by-side with an in-door ice maker and water dispenser, with a filter at floor level) and my wife is insisting on having an in-door water dispenser whereas I'm fine with a pitcher. Those of you who don't have in-door water, what do you use?

To answer your question on sales, if you don't have a fridge at all then I wouldn't bother waiting unless you *really* don't need the fridge for awhile. I wouldn't bother getting a mini-fridge to try and hold myself over unless I also happened to want a mini-fridge for some other reason

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-26-8-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-FFHB2750TS/301708474

is close to what i got to replace the stank old weird off yellow poo poo that was in the house I moved into.

Only thing is the LCD screen is slowly dying on me which I can't be bothered to fix

but bottom freeze drawer gang, rep! i love it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Single door fridge with drawer freezer is both the most energy efficient and space efficient design and a grand less than the fancy new french door variants, you're a sucker if you get anything else.

Single door fridges don't usually have water dispensers do they?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Single door fridges don't usually have water dispensers do they?

Nope. Water dispensers are for suckers. You have a great water dispenser already in your home. It's called a toilet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My cat agrees.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Some have a water dispenser right inside the door. That could take up less space (still have the precious door shelves) and is probably cheaper. The clean look is a bonus.

My new house came with some kind of filtered faucet next to the main faucet, but I haven’t investigated what kind it is. Maybe RO?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my fridge dispenses chilled, filtered water, ice cubes, and crushed ice on demand and it never runs out. instead of constantly refilling a pitcher, I change the filter about once every six months.

I lived without this for 40 years, and was fine. I don't intend to ever live without it again, because I can easily, trivially afford not to, and it's nice.

If I didn't have the filter in the fridge, I'd spend $400 for a decent under-sink reverse osmosis setup, and have almost the same thing except slower flow, not chilled, and no crushed ice on demand.

Filter pitchers work, but are a hassle. More filter changes, you ned to wash the pitcher, takes room, someone else uses almost all the water but doesn't refill it, no crushed ice.

Tap water is fine if yours tastes ok, of course, but still not chilled and no crushed ice.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I've got a single door fridge with an icemaker and a water dispenser. It's good. I later bought something that is or is very similar to this model but it was about $800 because it was at Sears Outlet. My renters love it. You don't have to give up water dispensers if you want solid doors.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What is everyone’s opinion on the earliest time it is acceptable to start mowing on a weekend and not be an rear end in a top hat to your neighbors? 830?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

devmd01 posted:

What is everyone’s opinion on the earliest time it is acceptable to start mowing on a weekend and not be an rear end in a top hat to your neighbors? 830?

It depends on your neighbors. I personally am more annoyed when you are mowing on the weekend when I want quite instead of drunk after work in the dark like a normal person.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think 8/8:30 is fine, at that point if I hear you mowing and I'm still in bed and tired I know I'm being the lazy rear end in a top hat.

Also yall are crazy if you think single door beats french door.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

devmd01 posted:

There's a 99% chance your municipality has a noise ordinance covering this. It's probably 9am. Watch out for differences due to religious reasons too, some places have shorter hours on Sunday. I've heard some real strict places actually have blanket bans on Sunday

Also I think mowing when there's dew is a bad idea

here's mine

quote:

Please not that lawn equipment may only be operated between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m., Monday through Friday; between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturdays and between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Sundays and holidays.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 12, 2018

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just had to take my downspouts apart.. there was a solid mass of leaves that I could not get out any other way. The downspout must have been 5 pounds lighter afterwards.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
drat I missed all the good fridge talk. I am also a mangetic french door fridge guy who drinks tap water and scoops ice. Definitely elite living here. See through doors and wifi fridges are stupid gimmicks.

I am so glad I bought a house. Having a garage dedicated to power tools own. I've been using the hell out of my 30 gallon air compressor and chop saw just building poo poo and spraying poo poo. Got a quote for a 4 foot wide dog gate - $400. Built it myself for $22 in wood and $20 in parts in a half hour.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 12, 2018

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Speaking of power tools in a garage...

I have a finished garage that is on a single 15amp circuit. All my power tools are on the opposite wall of the breaker box.

It seems like the actual process is pretty simple, but making sure I'm doing it to code seems basically impossible.

I know all garage outlets must be GFCI. But I have no clue if I'm allowed to make a garage circuit go across the celling in conduit. Does that conduit have to be metal/PVC, rigid? Does that change if it's a 30amp circuit? What is the proper way to actually get the circuit from the board, and out of the wall into the conduit.

Should I just hire an electrician?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Single door fridge with drawer freezer is both the most energy efficient and space efficient design and a grand less than the fancy new french door variants, you're a sucker if you get anything else.

Actually this is wrong. Contrary to popular belief, old-school top-freezer fridges are the most energy efficient by about 10-30%. This is because the compressor is near the bottom, and it generates a lot of heat, which makes the fridge work harder to maintain freezer temperature if it is at the bottom.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It seems like the actual process is pretty simple, but making sure I'm doing it to code seems basically impossible.

I know all garage outlets must be GFCI. But I have no clue if I'm allowed to make a garage circuit go across the celling in conduit. Does that conduit have to be metal/PVC, rigid? Does that change if it's a 30amp circuit? What is the proper way to actually get the circuit from the board, and out of the wall into the conduit.

Suggest you ask in the Don't Burn Your House Down thread, but for a garage, you should be fine with EMT conduit or flex conduit. Just make sure that the wires are securely anchored to the boxes and that the conduit is supported.

Fishing wire through the wall is a pain in the rear end though, especially if you want a long horizontal run. Easiest option is to run it on the surface of the wall, but if that bothers you for appearances or whatever then you may want to hire someone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you're mowing before 10 AM on the weekend then I loving hate you. Normal people stay up friday night doing poo poo and then sleep in. :argh: If you're using a leaf blower then it should be legal to murder you.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

If you're mowing before 10 AM on the weekend then I loving hate you. Normal people stay up friday night doing poo poo and then sleep in. :argh: If you're using a leaf blower then it should be legal to murder you.

Well I’ll enjoy day drinking on my patio while you sweat away mowing during the hotter parts of the day

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Get a reel mower and revel in the silence. :smuggo:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fridge chat will never die. While at Lowes just now I scoped out some fridges as we are replacing ours real soon now.

French door + drawer freezer: they all offer a model with in door ice and water. The ice maker is in the fridge.

4-door French doors bottom freezer: I am immediately turned off by the one I looked at which is 2 separate compartments on the bottom.

That was about as much attention span my 2 year old had.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Leperflesh posted:

loving lazy Californians...

Personally, 10AM is around perfect since you don't disturb people who are trying to eat lunch or have a lazy day/outdoor party in the afternoon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Actually this is wrong. Contrary to popular belief, old-school top-freezer fridges are the most energy efficient by about 10-30%. This is because the compressor is near the bottom, and it generates a lot of heat, which makes the fridge work harder to maintain freezer temperature if it is at the bottom.

I don't know where I read that freezer-drawer fridges are more efficient than top-freezer fridges, but energystar agrees with you and they probably know better.

Found an article that said this:

quote:

A top-freezer is the traditional option. It's also the cheaper option and the more energy-efficient option. The main drawback? It won't win you any design awards and you'll have to lean over to get at whatever's hiding behind the cheese in your fridge.

"top-freezer fridges are cheaper and better, but they're not as trendy and you have to bend over!" lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This. I've always hated people who do loud poo poo at 8 in the morning on a Saturday. Go gently caress yourself if you do this.

I mow in the afternoon because I'm not an rear end in a top hat

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Look at all you scrubs without chest freezers :smugdog:

E: the ego mower is super quiet and has headlights, so I just mow when the sun goes down

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hubis posted:

So you don't own a fridge? You freeze everything?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I got a dimming touch lamp that's got low/med/high setting. It doesn't seem to work with a CFL bulb (flashes once then off), nor this dimmable LED bulb I have (will light up if it's on while bulb is screwed in but won't turn on/off). Only the incandescent works normally.

Are there any options for energy-saving bulbs I could use with this lamp?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hubis posted:

I have a chest freezer, but turned it into a kegerator..

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

So you don't own a fridge? You freeze everything?

No, they have a fridge with no attached freezer. They put it on a stand. Then they attach wheels to the chest freezer and slide it underneath the fridge.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

LG makes a model without the window, the door-in-the-door is awesome though for extra storage. They don't have as established of a support network though, the worst reviews had issues with people coming out and not fixing it for weeks, so we actually sprung for the geek squad warranty where they have to replace the whole thing if they can't fix it.

Getting water from the fridge also means it's extra cold even without ice. French doors are also awesome to keep dog faces out of the fridge, even our giant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, they have a fridge with no attached freezer. They put it on a stand. Then they attach wheels to the chest freezer and slide it underneath the fridge.

Cool, a mini-fridge above a drawer fridge the opens from the top!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Why are gold hardware/accents in style again? Didn't we just spend 30 years eradicating them?

...and did I just answer my own question?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sadus posted:

LG makes a model without the window, the door-in-the-door is awesome though for extra storage. They don't have as established of a support network though, the worst reviews had issues with people coming out and not fixing it for weeks, so we actually sprung for the geek squad warranty where they have to replace the whole thing if they can't fix it.

Getting water from the fridge also means it's extra cold even without ice. French doors are also awesome to keep dog faces out of the fridge, even our giant.

If it's really extra storage, then isn't the insulation of the fridge overall partially compromised by having this big door section where the insulation is a lot thinner?

Tricky Ed posted:

Why are gold hardware/accents in style again? Didn't we just spend 30 years eradicating them?

Yeah, I think you did. This seems to be a common human civilization thing, old trends fall out of fashion and then become popular again later. The same ugly things are still ugly to the same people, but younger people grow up and think that those ugly things actually look good now.

There's evidence that facial hair goes through popularity cycles in a similar way, when everyone has facial hair then it becomes untrendy, when no one has it then suddenly everyone wants to grow a beard

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 13, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

I haven’t seen gold anything so you’ll have to tell me where in your part of the world you see it’s back in style again because it sure as poo poo ain’t here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lots of white and gold accessories in style starting last year, the glass and brass look from the 80s/90s hasn’t quite come back though. I’m not seeing much brass in lighting or cabinet hardware, and I’m aggressively shopping new fixtures.

Boy do people love those globe chandeliers though. I swear it was in every well staged house.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Our house came with French doors, bottom freezer, in door Ice and water dispenser and it has legitimately changed my eating habits. I down Ice water and it isn't so much that it is a substitute for other drinks (didn't drink much soda before), but that I'm always very hydrated and it is a great no-effort late night hunger suppressor

I.e. at night i grab a glass, fill with Ice and water, sip the water and then chew the ice for 15m, and next thing I know I'm not really craving whatever and go to bed. It's great

But before that I was an ice cube tray and pitcher filter person, so upgrade from in freezer ice bin and other water filter methods may be marginal

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FCKGW posted:

I haven’t seen gold anything so you’ll have to tell me where in your part of the world you see it’s back in style again because it sure as poo poo ain’t here.

Mid century modern has been making a big comeback the last few years, and it features a lot of wood tones, especially walnut, with brass or gold accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Brass / Gold fixtures are definitely becoming a thing again. Have a blast: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=gold kitchen pulls