Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Extreme0 posted:

Also don't most Rich cunts get Private Healthcare instead or do they still have to go through the NHS to get prescriptions?

You'd need to ask someone like Jabby for a totally accurate answer, but so far as I know private surgeries don't hold drugs for prescriptions. It's easier to send people to a general pharmacy with a constant supply.

You're only adding to my point, though. If the rich mostly don't use the NHS and the poor and chronically ill don't have to pay to do it, abolishing prescription fees is just courting the middle class vote. It sounds good, but doesn't help anyone who needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If benefits aren't universal it becomes easy to frame the recipients as scroungers with the aim of abolishing them altogether.
Healthcare, including prescriptions, should be something everyone feels they have a right to, including the wealthy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Extreme0 posted:

Also don't most Rich cunts get Private Healthcare instead or do they still have to go through the NHS to get prescriptions?

NHS use appears to be largely invariant with respect to household income, at least compared to education:

(at the bottom, under "benefits in kind")

Very slight taper, even in the top decile.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

cargohills posted:

Exemptions or not, I don't think making the sick pay more into the NHS is consistent with the idea of it being free to access.

everyone gets sick. it'll tend to average out in the long term

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cerv posted:

everyone gets sick. it'll tend to average out in the long term

The chronically ill and the disabled tend to be sick more often, I would imagine.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cargohills posted:

The chronically ill and the disabled tend to be sick more often, I would imagine.

Good news...the chronically ill and disabled will almost certainly be exempt from prescription charges.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Good news...the chronically ill and disabled will almost certainly be exempt from prescription charges.

Eh, with a lot of long term conditions if you're in work you don't really get an exemption persay - a prepayment card basically subsidizes every prescription after the first monthly. This would otherwise bite (and still unfortunately does occasionally to uninformed or vulnerable people) particularly hard in mental health where service users often are on multiple medications, may have short prescriptions to limit their on hand medication for their own safety or have medications that are limited to short repeated runs for various reasons (I think abuse potential is one?).

Don't get me wrong personally I don't really consider the 110 odd it is a year to be particularly onerous- it's a bargain by any standard - but it's still something more I pay compared to some lucky buggers who never get sick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cargohills posted:

Anyone with a disability or a chronic condition should already have an EC92 exemption that covers all prescription charges.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Why not just save the time of working out exemptions and keep prescriptions as they are then?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cargohills posted:

Why not just save the time of working out exemptions and keep prescriptions as they are then?

Yeah that would be sensible. It’s the same issue with any universal benefit- some people get very concerned about middle class people who can afford to pay getting them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

marktheando posted:

It’s the same issue with any universal benefit- some people get very concerned about middle class people who can afford to pay getting them.

And then you get threshold effects. It's also hard to take into account details like area A having a higher cost of living than area B or person A having more dependents than person B: if you take such factors into account, the formalities to get assistance become much more complex to fill and validate; if you don't your system becomes unfair to people at the thresholds.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/996388983381737474?s=19

State of this shite. SCOTTISH BILLIONAIRES GOOD ENGLISH BILLIONAIRES BAD naw mate, all billionaires are cunts.

Michael Fry is a good advert against magical lefty independence, this is the John Mason, Fergus Ewing of the Nats and they seriously outnumber the Cat Boyd's and Patrick Harvie's.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

State of this shite. SCOTTISH BILLIONAIRES GOOD ENGLISH BILLIONAIRES BAD naw mate, all billionaires are cunts.

Michael Fry is a good advert against magical lefty independence, this is the John Mason, Fergus Ewing of the Nats and they seriously outnumber the Cat Boyd's and Patrick Harvie's.

It's probably a reaction to this:

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/12759/analysis-scotland-s-11-billionaires-did-they-really-get-rich-through-their-vision-and

quote:

Of the 11 billionaires:

- 7 have been known to be involved in some form of tax avoidance, evasion or accountancy practises considered to be objectionable.

- 6 were on record as having questionable practises in relation to their employees, including anti-trade union activity, poverty wages and unfair dismissals.

- 4 built their wealth at least in part off the back of Scotland’s natural resources, through Scotch whisky, land, mineral water and oil.

- At least 6 were rich from birth.

- 9 have been known to use their wealth and power to influence politics, including the Scottish independence referendum, the Leave campaign and ‘cash-for-questions’.

Speaking of Commonspace, has anyone else been following the weird meltdown former editor Angela Haggerty seems to be having at the Sunday Herald?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Meet your new feudal lords!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Speaking of Commonspace, has anyone else been following the weird meltdown former editor Angela Haggerty seems to be having at the Sunday Herald?

I enjoyed watching the hysterical overreaction of nationalists to a Sunday Herald front page that came beforehand, though I’m not sure if I’d call it a ‘meltdown’.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Haggerty pretended to be a journalist for years and made hay from attacking easy targets, now she’s been promoted to a position of actual responsibility the audience has increased, and scrutiny magnified. The non apology she tweeted was loving hilarious in its attempt to turn the rightful backlash against her for deliberately outing a political opponent into an attack on her personally.

https://twitter.com/angelahaggerty/status/995991728602730496?s=21

loving retweeting support from McKenna as well she’s lost it

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 15, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Total Meatlove posted:

Haggerty pretended to be a journalist for years and made hay from attacking easy targets, now she’s been promoted to a position of actual responsibility the audience has increased, and scrutiny magnified. The non apology she tweeted was loving hilarious in its attempt to turn the rightful backlash against her for deliberately outing a political opponent into an attack on her personally.

https://twitter.com/angelahaggerty/status/995991728602730496?s=21

loving retweeting support from McKenna as well she’s lost it

You're not wrong but I don't think I'd be too far off the mark in wondering if your distaste for her possibly runs along sectarian lines- you're a Rangers supporter, no?

Edit: The outed MP's partner wasn't a political opponent, btw, they know each other and she had recently given her a bit of poo poo on FB over a dumb "SJWs gone mad" article she'd written. I suspect a lot of this is motivated by pettiness and spite. It's frankly embarrassing for CommonSpace, who are otherwise staffed by sound people. Ben Wray is great, David Jamieson I don't always agree with (rarely, in fact) but he writes thought provoking pieces, and Robert J Somynne is always class.

Edit 2: my favourite thing about that apology tweet was the sly amendment from "LGBT woman" later on in the thread to "LGBT aware woman".

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 15, 2018

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It was hard going but I managed to get my knuckles off the ground long enough to type

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Total Meatlove posted:

It was hard going but I managed to get my knuckles off the ground long enough to type

Just to be clear, Haggerty's big "break" so to speak was working on a book about the Rangers administration scandal, and because she's an explicit Celtic fan she's gotten a LOT of abuse for it over the years.

She really should know better.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

You're not wrong but I don't think I'd be too far off the mark in wondering if your distaste for her possibly runs along sectarian lines- you're a Rangers supporter, no?

Still with this bullshit?
Why are you always so loving keen to force everything into a narrow prescriptivist sectarian model of Scottishness?
Away and take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

There’s something very wrong with you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

EmptyVessel posted:

Still with this bullshit?
Why are you always so loving keen to force everything into a narrow prescriptivist sectarian model of Scottishness?
Away and take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut.

Prior to this Haggerty was best known for her work on this:

So it's kind of relevant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Not really, you brought it up to try and discredit the poster, not to address anything he said. Pretty much a text book ad hom which you are extremely partial to.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Nobody but you gives a poo poo.
Also trying to excuse your use of a stupid sectarian line of attack with "but they did it first" is exactly the bullshit tribal fuckwittery that keeps this toxic shite alive.
All colours of sectarian arsehole need a close encounter with a boltgun - or to put it in terms you'd get, gently caress the Pope and the Queen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There’s a small but nastily vocal streak of Scottish nationalists who are just aching for the independence movement to mutate into Tartan Troubles.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
let's not pretend the glasgow press isn't an incredibly insular atmosphere, that old firm nonsense really matters to a lot of people, and that haggerty came to prominence off the back of stirring up sectarian tension. that's literally what happened.

FWIW I think Haggerty's behaviour has been ridiculous and her writing at the SH has been awful. I visibly cringed when I saw her "yo, Stormzy" headline and her columns are constantly tedious. She wasn't a great boss either.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
casually accusing someone else of being motivated by sectarianism probably wasn't the most diplomatic way of bringing up that section of her backstory if you wanted to talk about it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

There’s something very wrong with you.

He's not the one who had to be banned from all the UK threads mate.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Oh hey loads of posts in scotpol wonder what hap-

Coohoolin posted:

:yikes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's not the one who had to be banned from all the UK threads mate.

Sadly untrue, Scotland is still in the UK.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The SNP are soon gong to ‘restart the independence debate’.

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/998188915793317888

Do we think they’ll decide Scottish independence is a good idea or a bad idea?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

The SNP are soon gong to ‘restart the independence debate’.

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/998188915793317888

Do we think they’ll decide Scottish independence is a good idea or a bad idea?

awks. i wasn't aware that the debate had previously stopped

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It’s ahead of the snp adopting its sixth currency policy position in ten years.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pissflaps posted:

It’s ahead of the snp adopting its sixth currency policy position in ten years.

It is usually a good thing when parties adjust their policies to current needs instead of clinging dogmatically to something that's not working.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jit bull transpile posted:

It is usually a good thing when parties adjust their policies to current needs instead of clinging dogmatically to something that's not working.

That’s one way of describing a party systematically choosing every possible option in a short period of time in the hope that one sticks.

Why a hypothetical independent Scotland’s currency ‘needs’ would change so often isn’t clear to me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

You mean like trying to get people to support independence?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well the currency plan was often cited as a reason for voting no so hopefully they can come up with a more appealing plan. Being pegged to sterling certainly sounds a lot shitter post Brexit.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just loving make a new one and float the drat thing or peg it to kroner what the gently caress. Get Stieglitz on the phone already.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

Well the currency plan was often cited as a reason for voting no so hopefully they can come up with a more appealing plan. Being pegged to sterling certainly sounds a lot shitter post Brexit.

Is being pegged to sterling the new plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Is being pegged to sterling the new plan?

I hope not.