Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Forgot to post this yesterday! The real Fender guitars, or something. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Forgot to post this yesterday! The real Fender guitars, or something. :allears:

That looks so dang tasteful. :dance:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Anime Reference posted:

I had some free time today so I gave my Agile a goth makeover:

I've always thought cream plastic on cherry sunburst looked insipid, I'm surprised at how big a difference this makes.

I just noticed that I put one of the rings in backwards so now the bridge pickup tilts the wrong way. Durp.
Still plenty of clearance for the strings so it can wait for the next string change.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Fender Duo Sonic in Capri Orange:

(sorry for the poor quality picture)

The two guitars I've been playing over the last three years are both superstrats with a 25.5" scale, so this 24" scale is different, but it feels great. Really enjoying it and I love the sounds I can get from it. I also love the creamsicle colour scheme of it - all of the other guitars I've owned have either been black or blue, so this is a nice change. Already ordered a set of locking tuners for it. Might consider upgrading the pickups down the road but for now I think the stock pickups work for me. I intend on selling my Ibanez RGA42FM, and keeping this and the other Ibanez I have (Iron Label S Series which I had posted earlier in the thread).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nothing crazy but I finally got a stand for all my guitars. I also bought a house, does that count as a gear purchase

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do you have enough house to gun your amps?

edit: John 5 is a silly man.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

...and the pitch! posted:

Do you have enough house to gun your amps?

edit: John 5 is a silly man.

I haven’t even really tried yet. I’m gonna set up a practice space/comfy gaming room in the basement once we get things cleared up a little.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hoping to play some sick riffs and also some PS2 JRPGs this summer.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I've wanted to upgrade my beginner acoustic for a while so I got this:

Epiphone Masterbilt Aj-45

I might have to change the pickguard but other than that it's real nice.

e: EU/UK-goons, they (Gak.co.uk) have a coupon right now for 10% extra off of all their demo/b-stock "EX10"

Pondex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 19, 2018

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
And the collection grows to six...

Azola Bugbass in excellent condition. I have some big band gigs this summer that are half a day's drive away, and this will be immensely easier to transport than my doghouse plywood upright. I brought my interface along to test with, and it sounded incredibly similar. After I raise the action a bit (tilt-adjust neck) to get the pizz feel a bit better, this thing should be as close to an upright feel as you can get for something like this in a reasonable price point.

Better pictures to come in the bass thread once I spend some woodshed time with it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That's sexy as hell

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hell yeah it is. Makes me wish I played bass.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Thanks! There is no good place to attach a bow sling while not having it get in the way when packed down, but my general bow usage just consists of sustaining the final note of some big band ballads so I think I'll survive.

The dog hates it just as much as he hates my upright, so it must be a pretty good representation of the real thing.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Some recent acquisitions:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I went to school with Josh Wah.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Just sold my Traktor S2 to a buddy and used that money to purchase a Traktor Z2 used from Guitar Center. I originally bought the S2 with the intention of teaching myself basic mixing, but only ended up doing a few sets before focusing a lot more on production, specifically sample-based hip-hop. The S2 was not compatible with Traktor Scratch Pro and I wanted a mixer that I could use in tandem with my turntable. I plan on teaching myself some basic scratching to add in my productions, as well as teaching myself to mix using a control vinyl. As a cherry on top, it gives me a ton of control over the sounds I am sampling off vinyl through the volume faders and eq, gain, and effects knobs. Tested it out last night and I already love it!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

...and the pitch! posted:

I went to school with Josh Wah.

of the broughton wahs?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Added another to the Harmony collection(11 at last count, imports and originals), shown with it's red brother.

Red one has a very chunky maple neck, skunk stripe on the back, walnut plug on the headstock end, Kluson knock-offs, and truss rod at the heel. Sunburst still has adjustment at the heel, but the neck is thinner by a good 1/8", and the fretboard is a separate piece, no skunk stripe, and stamped tuners. Both Made in Taiwan. Bodies identical in shape, pickguards the same except for color, pickups sound identical to my ears. From what I can gather, the red one is slightly older, and the neck is about the only difference between them. Both would be pretty early in the Harmony Strat copy history, which just makes them old until people lose their damned minds and start calling them collectible.

Look real close at the bottom of the fret slots and you can just see the seam between fretboard and body. It's even hard to see at the headstock, though that has a layer of dust that helps obscure it. Fretwork is atrocious, though.

They're nothing special, but both play surprisingly well, and I paid less than $50 for each of them. Also the most Stratty sounding Strats I've ever had. Quack for days.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I never knew I needed this in my life but now I am not sure how I ever survived without it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Everyone should own a Big Muff of some variety imo

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Everyone should own a Big Muff of some variety imo

Your mom should be all set then

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I never knew I needed this in my life but now I am not sure how I ever survived without it.

They are addictive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Clayton Bigsby posted:

:vince:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Everyone should have a BMP and a (turbo) Rat.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Back when I was 13, I decided to learn guitar, and asked for a guitar for Christmas. My Mom ended up buying me a lefty Squier Strat, which were made in Mexico in those days (1993.) A few years later, probably around 1995, I sold it, and bought an Epiphone SG copy. My Mom has since passed, and I greatly regretted having sold that guitar.

Yesterday, one of my best friends presented me with a guitar he cobbled together that is as close to my original Mexican Squier as I'll ever get. He bought a late 90s Mexican Squier Strat on Reverb. The body color was black, where my original was "Arctic White." He then bought an Arctic White Mexican standard Strat from the early 2000s. He used pickups, neck, hardware, pickups and everything from the 90s Squier and put it on the white Strat body. It is loving unbelievable to me that he made this happen. Even though it is essentially a crappy student model Mexican Strat, it's is kind of like reclaiming that old guitar I missed so much.

The biggest aesthetic difference is the old Mexican Squier headstocks looked like this:

Still, it's a pretty small difference, and I'm beyond stoked about this thing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's a very touching story and I hope everyone at one point has a friend this awesome.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

late 90's early 00's mexican strats are loving magical and even though mine is my first and only nothing else has ever felt as comfortable playing

i will say the electronics aren't that great during that time frame but that's easily remedied if you want

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's super cool, I don't think I have any friends who would do that for me - you're blessed in company :)

Some classic chorus:

Sold my Gibson LP and Yamaha THR to fund the leftmost Navigator here, it's still stuck in Tokyo customs though :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gringostar posted:

late 90's early 00's mexican strats are loving magical and even though mine is my first and only nothing else has ever felt as comfortable playing

i will say the electronics aren't that great during that time frame but that's easily remedied if you want

Mine has been this way since December 2015, after going through years of figuring out what I wanted. 2000 Mexican Fat Strat originally, that I’ve owned since 15.

I also started with a 1996 Mexi-Fender Strat with the black writing. I sold it for some dumb reason when I started buying different guitars before I even knew what I was buying. :sweatdrop:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

betterinsodapop posted:

Back when I was 13, I decided to learn guitar, and asked for a guitar for Christmas. My Mom ended up buying me a lefty Squier Strat, which were made in Mexico in those days (1993.) A few years later, probably around 1995, I sold it, and bought an Epiphone SG copy. My Mom has since passed, and I greatly regretted having sold that guitar.

Yesterday, one of my best friends presented me with a guitar he cobbled together that is as close to my original Mexican Squier as I'll ever get. He bought a late 90s Mexican Squier Strat on Reverb. The body color was black, where my original was "Arctic White." He then bought an Arctic White Mexican standard Strat from the early 2000s. He used pickups, neck, hardware, pickups and everything from the 90s Squier and put it on the white Strat body. It is loving unbelievable to me that he made this happen. Even though it is essentially a crappy student model Mexican Strat, it's is kind of like reclaiming that old guitar I missed so much.

The biggest aesthetic difference is the old Mexican Squier headstocks looked like this:

Still, it's a pretty small difference, and I'm beyond stoked about this thing.

That's one good-rear end friend you've got, awesome guitar

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Sockington posted:

Mine has been this way since December 2015, after going through years of figuring out what I wanted. 2000 Mexican Fat Strat originally, that I’ve owned since 15.

I also started with a 1996 Mexi-Fender Strat with the black writing. I sold it for some dumb reason when I started buying different guitars before I even knew what I was buying. :sweatdrop:

maple fret board strat best strat (sorry not sorry betterinsodapop)

i modded mine with an FS-1 in the neck, mini humbucker in the middle, and SDS-1 in the bridge about 5 years ago

this on the other hand was just finished a week ago (kind of, need to secure everything) with the addition of the dm-2w which owns

want to get a dual expression pedal to work both that and the flange at the same time since they're on a loop

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Thanks for the kind words. I definitely am lucky to have a good friend like that, and am enjoying the hell out of my new/old guitar!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gringostar posted:

this on the other hand was just finished a week ago (kind of, need to secure everything) with the addition of the dm-2w which owns

want to get a dual expression pedal to work both that and the flange at the same time since they're on a loop

I've been loving with my pedalboard setup of late and one of the most bastardly parts of the process has been wiring it all together (and the fact that my carbon copy suddenly stopped working after the severe stresses of being in the back of my car for about two hours (I don't get it either)) so I'm intrigued by these thin-and-flexible-looking cords connecting everything - where did they come from?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hexwren posted:

I've been loving with my pedalboard setup of late and one of the most bastardly parts of the process has been wiring it all together (and the fact that my carbon copy suddenly stopped working after the severe stresses of being in the back of my car for about two hours (I don't get it either)) so I'm intrigued by these thin-and-flexible-looking cords connecting everything - where did they come from?

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/disasterplug

They're not exactly cheep, but every now and then they go on sale which is when I bought mine.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
That board gives me anxiety. Most people freak out over a messy board, but what happens when you're playing live, and you have to troubleshoot on the fly? If all the cables are custom cut to go exactly from point A to point B, how do you re-route? I dunno, my poo poo is a mess, but it is kinda nice not having everything strapped down, nothing worse than having 100 people watching you try to fix a problem on your board.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pokey Araya posted:

That board gives me anxiety. Most people freak out over a messy board, but what happens when you're playing live, and you have to troubleshoot on the fly? If all the cables are custom cut to go exactly from point A to point B, how do you re-route? I dunno, my poo poo is a mess, but it is kinda nice not having everything strapped down, nothing worse than having 100 people watching you try to fix a problem on your board.
Unless your songs depend that much on your pedals, re-plug straight into the amp and you're all set.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gringostar posted:

Schoool me on my DM-2w - I adore the tone but I can never find a way for it to sit right.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hexwren posted:

BBD chips are sensitive to static. All I can think of. ☹️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Pokey Araya posted:

It's actually an incredibly simple setup so there's not much that can go wrong aside from maybe something coming unplugged and that's easily fixed, plus I leave a good 1-2" extra bit of cable per run.

Signal path is guitar -> tuner (that mutes everything when on) -> MF drive -> Loop pedal -> L&R out to amps.

Loop 1 is the PW-3 into the BeeBuzz
Loop 2 is the DM-2W into the MF Flange
Third button on the loop pedal is an amp channel switch.

Expression pedals are right now hooked up to the two Moog pedals but I'll be getting a dual one that will control the delay/mod loop at the same time.

I'm thinking of putting a Sub N Up mini before the MF Drive but aside from that everything there gives me a massive range of sounds to play with with the only things I can't cover are songs with a whammy in them and post rock poo poo drowning in reverb, and even then the delay+flange combo can cover some of that.

Southern Heel posted:

Schoool me on my DM-2w - I adore the tone but I can never find a way for it to sit right.

The key is to put it in front of the amp and not in the effects loop while keeping everything in the 10-2 range unless you're going spacey, and even then keep the echo and intensity in that range.

For high gain solos the classic mode is fantastic with echo down to about 10, rate to 2 and intensity to 11. I add a very light flange after and it sounds incredible.

For a spacey delay that works great with cleans (and a heavy modulation after) set echo and intensity to 2 and get an expression pedal to sweep the rate to really open it up.