Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rinkles posted:

Scratch that. Intermittent lag issues should disqualify it.

I never see this brought up. Do most people not get lag, because I never see it mentioned despite experiencing occasional issues most play sessions? (I play over a not fantastic WiFi signal)
I play on a stable ethernet connection and very rarely have lag issues, especially now that the server pops are down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, the only time I ever get lag these days is when Battle.net itself is getting DDoS'd or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I got unpleasant input delay while trying the free trial back in the day which put me off of buying the game, but once I eventually did everything was pretty much fine. :iiam:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

There used to be a fun issue when they first put in the Book of Cain to ID everything at once and it would freeze up people in your clan/community/whatever one shows the items when you did like 5+ items at once.

Lots of HC players were getting whiny that we were trying to kill them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

If you're playing diablo games for the story I feel bad for you.

Story and atmosphere were a large part of why I enjoyed diablo 2 so much. Diablo 3 could've been a much better game if the story was good, or at least not so intrusively bad that literally deleting it was a selling point for the expansion.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mymla posted:

Story and atmosphere were a large part of why I enjoyed diablo 2 so much. Diablo 3 could've been a much better game if the story was good, or at least not so intrusively bad that literally deleting it was a selling point for the expansion.
The story didn't really explain much about Diablo 2's longevity, though. The three most common grind spots were Pindleskin (a random unique with no story impact), the cow level (a jokey "bonus level"), and Baal, and most people did their best to avoid the story while leveling (because it was slow, not because it was in-your-face about how bad it was like D3's).

Diablo 2, like Brood War, got its longevity by accident. Blizzard wasn't planning on making a game that obsessive people with too much time on their hands botters would still be playing 10 years later. With D3 (and SC2), they were trying to emulate what they thought made D2 successful, and it turned out that they got that part so wrong that RoS "saved" the game by discarding basically all of those things.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Remember too when you think of Diablo II, most of us are looking at through the lens of nostalgia. Diablo II was fun, and I'd play through the story again for shits and giggles, but the 90% of most players time was spent doing Chaos and Baal runs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Diablo 2 had better loot and skills felt significantly better to use. There's something subtly off about many of the projectile skills in Diablo 3 that makes it really frustrating to play Witch Doctors, Necromancers, and Wizards (and to a lesser extent Demon Hunters), especially when one of the clunkier skills lines up with whatever build is best that season.

The extremely limited endgame content in Diablo 2 kind of sucked but I daresay a majority of players didn't actually play D2 for the endgame, despite how vocal that part of the community was (and visible since the mechanics encouraged you to play online and to play together if that was your thing.)

Also Diablo 2 took a couple of steps to fix things very late in its life. They massively upped the drop rate on runes, and earlier they cranked up the item/monster level of a lot of the side dungeons so that a wider range of desirable endgame items could drop there. They may not have gone far enough but it's the sort of stuff that could be fixed without changing the fundamental feel of the game.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 13, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I tried playing D2 again and I made it all the way to Act 4 before I gave up. It was kind of a slog in comparison to the way D3 plays. D3 is generous with loot, D2 is so grindy and stingy.

This from a dude who probably put in >1000 hours in D2 back in high school.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Clicksey posted:

Remember too when you think of Diablo II, most of us are looking at through the lens of nostalgia. Diablo II was fun, and I'd play through the story again for shits and giggles, but the 90% of most players time was spent doing Chaos and Baal runs.

Yeah, I don't understand why that is, at all. Most of my time was spent soloing hell with untwinked or almost untwinked characters.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Mymla posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why that is, at all. Most of my time was spent soloing hell with untwinked or almost untwinked characters.

Depends on how you played. Personally I was/am a min-max type of player so that meant grinding out hundreds of hours of runs to get perfect (or close to perfect) gear, and when that wasn't possible I resorted to botting. D3 is much more casual due to the enormous amount of loot that drops. Diablo I, however, I played similar to you, though that may have been out of necessity due to all of the glitched/hacked lobbies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every so often I think about trying D2 (again, I played super briefly thanks to an old non-expansion copy) but there's so much crusty stuff in there (stamina meter anyone?) that I change my mind.

Also I'm guessing even if I did dig up my old CD key I wouldn't magically get the expansion for free.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 13, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That it runs at 25 FPS would kill it for me now but I'd play D2HD in a heartbeat.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That it runs at 25 FPS would kill it for me now but I'd play D2HD in a heartbeat.

Play path of exile.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mymla posted:

Play path of exile.

I don't think there's a single thing about Path of Exile I like. The camera, the economy, how you gain skills, it'd like they actively worked to create a game I'd never want to play.

Grim Dawn seems more my speed if I could get over the initial leveling hump (a problem Diablo 2 also has) but I haven't really given it a serious try in a while.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Haha I actually managed to find my old discs/key, and no, like hell do you get the expansion for free. But now I've put myself in a position where I need to seriously think about whether I should spend the :10bux: aaaaaaa

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Go ahead and do it. It'll be fun for what it is and help you appreciate what D3 does right.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Dungeon Siege 3 is a very good underrated monster clicker with decent story stuff and fun characters IMO.

I played a lot of Sacred Gold back in the day which was cool once you figured out the horribly idiosynchratic skill system, because it had this weird open worldiness to it. Sacred 2 straight up doesn't launch at all from Steam so I know literally nothing about it. Sacred 3 plays like one of those F2P iOS monster hallway games.

Dragon Nest is a fairly fun Extremely Anime monster punchy pseudo-MMO on Steam I kind of enjoy (when I say extremely anime I'm talking makes Aion look like Game of Thrones).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm going to sound like an idiot by suggesting that D3 sometimes streamlines and railroads too much, or at least to the detriment of part of the experience. I don't know exactly where the line is crossed, but the end result to me is that the story mode feels superficial, and adventure mode is too lean (and consequently rote). However, removing so much of the chaff moves more of your attention to what should (I guess) really matter: builds, synergies and skill. (I'm just saying something's lost when too much genre fat is trimmed).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
D3 isn't perfect and I think it having to fix all the issues with vanilla via RoS limited it in how creative it could be. I think it is a fine enough platform to iterate off of when trying to design D4 though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The auction house sounds like a demoralizing nightmare.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It was a great way to make money and launder money. It wasn't a great way to play a Diablo game though.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Mymla posted:

The reason the story worked in D1 and D2 is because it was barely there. Enough to give a backdrop of "go kill a bunch of demons" and slightly more if you wanted to sperg out, read every NPC interaction, and pick up the accompanying books. There was enough left to the imagination that you could vicariously attach yourself to the character. D3 story telling is like Lucas over-explaining the Force working through mitochondria, with all the dialogue of Saturday morning cartoon villains. Metzen's world building seems at it's best when it can be ignored. Case study: WoW's story arch is such a convoluted mess. I at least have hope for Overwatch since he left the helm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm going to sound like an idiot by suggesting that D3 sometimes streamlines and railroads too much, or at least to the detriment of part of the experience. I don't know exactly where the line is crossed, but the end result to me is that the story mode feels superficial, and adventure mode is too lean (and consequently rote). However, removing so much of the chaff moves more of your attention to what should (I guess) really matter: builds, synergies and skill. (I'm just saying something's lost when too much genre fat is trimmed).

Though, tbf I'm having the opposite issue with TQ. Finally having a firm grasp on the ins and outs of the game, I just want to play around with mixing masteries and trying out rare gear; the meat and potatoes. But leveling a new character takes ages and finding specific legendaries is impossible (without an editor). All this is a relative breeze in D3.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dameius posted:

It was a great way to make money and launder money. It wasn't a great way to play a Diablo game though.

I paid for RoS with the gem flip back before rmah shut down. A lot of us nerds did.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Rinkles posted:

Though, tbf I'm having the opposite issue with TQ. Finally having a firm grasp on the ins and outs of the game, I just want to play around with mixing masteries and trying out rare gear; the meat and potatoes. But leveling a new character takes ages and finding specific legendaries is impossible (without an editor). All this is a relative breeze in D3.

TQ had a really good trainer called TQDefiler that I relied on so much for quality of life, now that it’s incompatible with Anniversary Edition I don’t actually find myself enjoying it when I can’t set my own XP rates, skill points, etc or have the power to turn every enemy into a ridiculous loot piñata.

I need a delicate balance of numbers going up with scaling challenges wrapped in good aesthetics and I wish non-competitive games like this being super modular were more of A Thing. They basically removed fun wacky cheat codes from games because achievements exist and I’ve never forgiven the world for it. Now they always lock variables behind 200 hours of gameplay so I am guaranteed to be tired of it before seeing it, or just straight up charging for it ☹️

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I remember playing the Mythos beta, if just they hand't hosed that one up. It was so much more fun than D3.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Picked this up again after a long absence and was motivated to get my Wizard Electrocute build up to snuff and see if I could handle Torment XIII et al. Working on Torment 11 now.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Pathogen-1592/hero/28425236

Need to go find another pair of Nilfur's Boasts to put on my boots and really should look for better shoulders. Other than that, seems to be working.

(The functional idea here is to hold down m1 and... done, that's the whole equation).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I dicked around on NS since I have gear for just about every class/spec out there and are some classes way weaker than others or am I just bad at them? I tried Garg and Hellbat WD, Hammer Barb, and Inarius Command Skeleton Necro and they all seemed pretty weak. GR85 was slow going. This is compared to Meteor Wizard, Bell Monk, MS DH, Shadow DH, and N6M4 DH where I can do breeze through 85s and do 90+ with no issues. Or am I just really bad at the classes? I guess for Hammer Barb I didn't have Traveler's so I threw on a Unity and HFA so maybe that's why it was slow. But I think even with Traveler's it would be weaker than Wizard/Monk/DH.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sarkozymandias posted:

TQ had a really good trainer called TQDefiler that I relied on so much for quality of life, now that it’s incompatible with Anniversary Edition I don’t actually find myself enjoying it when I can’t set my own XP rates, skill points, etc or have the power to turn every enemy into a ridiculous loot piñata.

I need a delicate balance of numbers going up with scaling challenges wrapped in good aesthetics and I wish non-competitive games like this being super modular were more of A Thing. They basically removed fun wacky cheat codes from games because achievements exist and I’ve never forgiven the world for it. Now they always lock variables behind 200 hours of gameplay so I am guaranteed to be tired of it before seeing it, or just straight up charging for it ☹️

Defiler still lets you edit AE character levels, stats and money but the other stuff sounds like it doesn't work.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Rinkles posted:

Defiler still lets you edit AE character levels, stats and money but the other stuff sounds like it doesn't work.

Yeah the best stuff was just tweaking the actual progression numbers and drop rates so everything felt like a fast moving lootbox hop that let me impulsively slam skill points into everything without screwing my character over and generally feeling like a cool dreamstalking shieldlady ☹️

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
New NA CR is the easiest in a while. No idea why it took 7 minutes for the original run but it can be completed in 3 pretty easily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The XMAX mod was updated for the anniversary edition of TQ and it's the only one that I would say is 100% mandatory to really have fun with the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The XMAX mod was updated for the anniversary edition of TQ and it's the only one that I would say is 100% mandatory to really have fun with the game.

That straightforward to use?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I switched to PoE a little over a year ago and it's hard to play much D3 now but I wanted to come back here to say how much I miss our little D3 goon community. I wish I could have the D3 LLJK chat in my PoE client, and especially in the PoE thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

That straightforward to use?

All you do is click it on at the title screen and it's a go. If you need the mod turned off for any reason then it's a simple logout and click off. XMAX triples or quadruples the monster density in most areas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

All you do is click it on at the title screen and it's a go. If you need the mod turned off for any reason then it's a simple logout and click off. XMAX triples or quadruples the monster density in most areas.

I've been getting fps dips with an ice shard spamming stormcaller. I don't know if the engine could handle triple the monsters.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Gorgon mini-boss fight is also an absolute ball-ache if you have XMAX enabled, as that leaves you with triple healers. I hope you have ridiculous DPS!

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Incoherence posted:

The story didn't really explain much about Diablo 2's longevity, though. The three most common grind spots were Pindleskin (a random unique with no story impact), the cow level (a jokey "bonus level"), and Baal, and most people did their best to avoid the story while leveling (because it was slow, not because it was in-your-face about how bad it was like D3's).

Diablo 2, like Brood War, got its longevity by accident. Blizzard wasn't planning on making a game that obsessive people with too much time on their hands botters would still be playing 10 years later. With D3 (and SC2), they were trying to emulate what they thought made D2 successful, and it turned out that they got that part so wrong that RoS "saved" the game by discarding basically all of those things.

Are you kidding me? D2s story is a huge driving force behind its nostalgia and also the first experience practically everyone has with the game. This is like arguing that the first pages of a novel aren't that important for establishing the setting and tone that keeps people reading to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Diablo 2's plot was ballast but there were a lot of cool, evocative minor interactions scattered throughout the game. Like how Ormus gives the Paladin the side-eye until he proves himself, because he's had such bad experiences with the Church, or Nihlathak being smarmy at the Necromancer.