Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BattleMaster posted:

Unlike what the show wants you to feel, I think that ORB got everything it deserved

But... but... muh Japan analogue! :japan:

Kanos posted:

I don't think SEED not being nuanced is a mistake, I think it's clearly by design. The entire show is written in an extremely direct and melodramatic manner, and I don't think it ever pretends to be interested in too many shades of gray. The closest it ever gets are characters like Natarle, and Natarle is less a shade of gray and more a character who switches from good to bad and back.

I would even say that this directness is a huge reason for SEED's wide appeal compared to later, muddier shows.

This is an excellent point - I'd bet that you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Orb's destruction led to Cagailli's dad being burned like 50 times in Destiny as flashbacks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2018-05-11/gundam-wing-executive-producer-hideyuki-tomioka/.131472

short interview with the Exec Producer of Wing

quote:

Now, G-Gundam had this weird reputation because it was so different in comparison to the original Gundam series. Part of what made G-Gundam so unique and different was that it had all these new mobile suits that were duking it out. So when it came time for Gundam Wing, which came right after, our sponsor Bandai literally came to us and said, "We want at least five new mobile suits in this series. And as long as their model kits sell...[everyone laughs]

What was most surprising about the whole thing is that this was the only thing that they requested. They didn't give any instruction or direction in terms of the story or plot. All they said is, "We want five mobile suits, and we want those five mobile suits to be so spectacular that they sell a lot of merch, and that's it." So, that was kind of unique. Of course, now they say what type of story they want to be told and what type of characters they want to be included, but back then, that was it. Just five mobile suits.

quote:

Do you keep up with recent Gundam productions, and have any impressed you?

So, first of all, going back to what I said about longevity, I haven't actually really seen any of the newer, more recent Gundam series. However, after working on Gundam Wing, I worked on Gundam X, and then together with creator Tomino, we worked on Turn A Gundam. For me, those three series are kind of the beyond all, end all for Gundam.

So I have watched some of the newer Gundam, but I can't say that I necessary have a lot of resonance with them or feel strong emotions for them, either positive or negative. Clearly, I can see that the newer directors and producers have worked really hard on them, and have a lot of passion for Gundam. I don't want to put any of them down, but I feel like they've taken what's Gundam and rearranged the formula in new ways. So there's not one recent series I can point to for having impressed me.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 12, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't explain how they ended up with Sandrock, so I'll guess the five are the other four and Tallgeese.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chumbler posted:

Doesn't explain how they ended up with Sandrock, so I'll guess the five are the other four and Tallgeese.

They had to hedge their bets not every swing is a home run

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it's pretty hard to argue with the idea that pretty much every recent Gundam series has been 'taking the formula and rearranging it in new ways." You either get UC rehash or "ancient Gundam legend which serves as a metacommentary on Gundam as a franchise" or literal Gunpla fighting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In that sense Wing really is the outlier in the franchise for coming from a very different angle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

In that sense Wing really is the outlier in the franchise for coming from a very different angle.

I dunno, the Freedom Gundam often came from a very different angle too :v:.

HiMat joke.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's pretty hard to argue with the idea that pretty much every recent Gundam series has been 'taking the formula and rearranging it in new ways." You either get UC rehash or "ancient Gundam legend which serves as a metacommentary on Gundam as a franchise" or literal Gunpla fighting.
In that sense Build Divers has broken new ground, because now we have completely digital Gunpla fighting!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

In that sense Build Divers has broken new ground, because now we have completely digital Gunpla fighting!

:wrong:

That would go to Gunpla Builders Beginning G :eng101:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'd respond it's fairly ironic to use Gundam X (What if the One Year War went worse? Also Newtypes, what's the deal?) and Turn A Gundam (A set containing all Gundam) as examples of Gundam breaking away from its past.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd respond it's fairly ironic to use Gundam X (What if the One Year War went worse? Also Newtypes, what's the deal?) and Turn A Gundam (A set containing all Gundam) as examples of Gundam breaking away from its past.

That is a very fair point. Honestly it's been a problem for a while and Wing isn't free of it anyway. ("Let's do Char's entire arc in a single series.")

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I might be crazy, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Gundam series mostly being reconfigurations and permutations of specific themes and concepts.

I don't really like when shows include traditional Gundam imagery and themes just to move down a checklist(Unicorn is hugely guilty of this), but in my opinion if you're going to break away from the franchise's past completely, is there any real value in making it a Gundam show instead of something new(besides the gunpla $$$)? The core set of themes and ideas that govern the franchise as a whole have an enormous breadth of interpretations available. This is a franchise that manages to encompass shows ranging from Turn A to IBO to G Gundam. There's a fair amount of wiggle room for new perspectives and fresh takes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I might be crazy, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Gundam series mostly being reconfigurations and permutations of specific themes and concepts.

I don't really like when shows include traditional Gundam imagery and themes just to move down a checklist(Unicorn is hugely guilty of this), but in my opinion if you're going to break away from the franchise's past completely, is there any real value in making it a Gundam show instead of something new(besides the gunpla $$$)? The core set of themes and ideas that govern the franchise as a whole have an enormous breadth of interpretations available. This is a franchise that manages to encompass shows ranging from Turn A to IBO to G Gundam. There's a fair amount of wiggle room for new perspectives and fresh takes.

What I was about to say, even if I was going to take a different angle to the same point.

No point in complaining birds have feathers, you know? It's the limitations as well as the variety that categorizes works. It also means you have tools to quickly communicate ideas to the viewer, both saving time in conveying a message, and so they can be subverted in a way that surprises the viewer without violating the rules you've actually set up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

Sandrock is a good looking gundam.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The problem is that it's become, for lack of a better term, incestuous. You can take on themes and ideas but what Unicorn does is closer to what Gundam is now: A series that mostly exists to be about itself. Beyond a certain point, yeah, "why is this Gundam" is a fair question to ask and it's a difficult question to ask because honestly "why is this Gundam" is always going to be answered by "because Gundam sells." Otherwise there's not much stopping you from doing a Metal Armor Dragonar even if you jut want to rehash Gundam stuff.

But even taking that into account, Gundam being a safer seller is why it should expand. Because it can do those things and give us a G Gundam or whatever or at least to stand on its own two feet rather than feeling the need to go back to the same dwindling well of ideas. The "Gundam about Gundam" thing would probably be less tedious if it didn't happen so often.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Motto posted:

"However, after working on Gundam Wing, I worked on Gundam X, and then together with creator Tomino, we worked on Turn A Gundam. For me, those three series are kind of the beyond all, end all for Gundam."

this dude loves wing a bit too much

though tbf wing introduced the "extremely pretty boys being sad about war" part of gundam that stuck around for seed/00 so maybe he's right

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

TBH, ZZ is also kind of pessimistic. Its protagonists just have a slower, gentler descent into hell.

judau is the only protagonist of the UC trilogy to not end up as some kind of burnt-out husk of a person so he's got that going for him

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Yinlock posted:

this dude loves wing a bit too much

though tbf wing introduced the "extremely pretty boys being sad about war" part of gundam that stuck around for seed/00 so maybe he's right

He does strike me as the type to be low-key annoyed that they kept making Gundam after he stopped working on it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

judau is the only protagonist of the UC trilogy to not end up as some kind of burnt-out husk of a person so he's got that going for him

Kamille recovered. Went on to be a doctor on the moon.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Yinlock posted:

He lived a long and fruitful life and eventually became Detective Bookman out of Seinfeld.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jackhunter64 posted:

He lived a long and fruitful life and eventually became Detective Bookman out of Seinfeld.
Friend, you seem to be confused. That old man in that picture is Grey Stroke, the pilot of the Gump. Judau Ashtau hasn't been seen in decades.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Uhh what?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

At the end of ZZ Kamille gets better, and in some novel (i think?) he decides to become a doctor after that.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It turns out that being able to use a magical brain power to understand people really helps when a kid comes in going "my tummy hurts" or "I have a weird stabbing pain" so you can know exactly what they mean by that and help 'em out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

It turns out that being able to use a magical brain power to understand people really helps when a kid comes in going "my tummy hurts" or "I have a weird stabbing pain" so you can know exactly what they mean by that and help 'em out.

And if they make trouble, being able to talk about the time you threw a guy off a mountain also helps.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Added bonus: Your first name is replaced by Doctor, and Doctor is a man's name.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that it's become, for lack of a better term, incestuous. You can take on themes and ideas but what Unicorn does is closer to what Gundam is now: A series that mostly exists to be about itself. Beyond a certain point, yeah, "why is this Gundam" is a fair question to ask and it's a difficult question to ask because honestly "why is this Gundam" is always going to be answered by "because Gundam sells." Otherwise there's not much stopping you from doing a Metal Armor Dragonar even if you jut want to rehash Gundam stuff.

But even taking that into account, Gundam being a safer seller is why it should expand. Because it can do those things and give us a G Gundam or whatever or at least to stand on its own two feet rather than feeling the need to go back to the same dwindling well of ideas. The "Gundam about Gundam" thing would probably be less tedious if it didn't happen so often.

The problem is that it's really easy to conflate "I don't like this show" with "This show is unoriginal and is merely aping previous, better Gundam shows". Who decides what's incestuous? Is IBO incestuous? Is G-Reco? Is 00? Where's the line? If you twist and turn yourself hard enough you can define literally any Gundam show like this. Here, I'll try:

Turn A is a boring, unoriginal show because it's built around rehashing the tired Gundam meme of being about a war between space assholes and earth assholes.

Z Gundam is a boring, unoriginal show because it doesn't have enough faith in its own cast to stand up without dragging out the tired and overdone character Char Aznable and even jumps the shark by bringing back Amuro. Later on, they even bring back Zeon and give it the incredibly "original" name of "Neo Zeon"!

Obviously these are idiotic arguments, but whenever I look at a new show and read people complaining about how it's too Gundam-referential I always raise an eyebrow because it's really easy to make the jump from "this show references and utilizes a lot of common Gundam tropes and themes" to nitpicking that a show is unoriginal garbage because a blonde guy wore a mask.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer posted:

At the end of ZZ Kamille gets better, and in some novel (i think?) he decides to become a doctor after that.

I like that the only times people get happy endings in the universal century is when they say "gently caress this" and stop fighting

chiasaur11 posted:

dude still got cursed by a space wizard so hard that he fell into a coma

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

on that note given his temperament his medical practice must be just non-stop excitable assholes beating the poo poo out of each-other

another patient saved

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/995484518185304064

Sometimes Super Robot Wars says very real truths.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Droyer posted:

It has apparently been far longer since I've seen ZZ than I would care to admit because I don't remember that at all.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/995484518185304064

Sometimes Super Robot Wars says very real truths.

pretty much all interactions between the younger characters and him are him being like "if you can't sense my intent you cannot truly evolve weighed down by gravity newtypes soul war peace" and them responding with "what the gently caress are you even talking about, you lunatic"

it's great

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Char Aznable is right and did nothing wrong hail aeug

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yinlock posted:

pretty much all interactions between the younger characters and him are him being like "if you can't sense my intent you cannot truly evolve weighed down by gravity newtypes soul war peace" and them responding with "what the gently caress are you even talking about, you lunatic"

it's great

SRW X is great because spends over a dozen stages dumping on Char. There's a great scene between him and Bellri that amounts to Bellri basically telling Char he's totally wrong and has no clue how history and culture work. This is incidentally after a chat between him and Aida that Bellri interrupts after someone nudges him in the ribs and says "Hey, you know Char has a thing for girls, you really want your sister spending time with that creep?"

Also you can get the Nightingale and it's a real good unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy how Bellri's response to Char is like "Yeah, uh, I'm from your future and we got problems but it turns out we didn't destroy the Earth and in fact it's pretty fuckin' lush and green, we even undid the environmental damage, so maybe you're the one in the wrong" and Char is like "Well... poo poo."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry for the random question but can anyone in here speak Japanese?

I'm just wondering how good or bad the Wing localization is. I'm re-watching the first episode and I think most people know how infamous it is, especially everything Zechs says. (what is "he's intense perhaps"?! Is it "he's intense! Perhaps...?" Or "he's intense, perhaps..." What is he talking about?)

But apart from the first few episodes, things seem to level out and make more sense and sound natural (for Wing) later on.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
Speaking of Char, I want to get some opinions from Gundam English Dub nerds on something: about 4 1/2 years ago, I got Brad Swaile to autograph a Char's Counterattack movie poster. Steve Blum is going to be a guest at a local convention I'm attending next month. Do you think I should have him sign the poster as well, even if he didn't play Char in that movie? I only attend the one local con each year, so I doubt I'd get the chance to have it signed by any other Chars.

In other words, keep the poster with only Amuro, or have it also signed by "Gundamn" Char?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry for the random question but can anyone in here speak Japanese?

I'm just wondering how good or bad the Wing localization is. I'm re-watching the first episode and I think most people know how infamous it is, especially everything Zechs says. (what is "he's intense perhaps"?! Is it "he's intense! Perhaps...?" Or "he's intense, perhaps..." What is he talking about?)

But apart from the first few episodes, things seem to level out and make more sense and sound natural (for Wing) later on.

Can you remind me what scene that is? I haven't seen the dub in forever but I have the Japanese version so I can check real quick.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It looks like it's supposed to be more like "He's powerful! Could it be...?" Basically he's saying "That suit isn't taking damage. Could it be...?" (With the unspoke dialogue being "Could it be made of Gundanium alloy/could it be a Gundam?")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 13, 2018