Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Beat saber sucks and is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Figured pretty sharpish you need to be using full motion controls and not teleporting in Serious Sam VR to stand a chance, and after less than an hour I'm feeling decidedly green around the gills; its a fun game for VR but I don't think I have the stomach for it. Be a shame to refund the bundle but I don't know if I can stick it out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Figured pretty sharpish you need to be using full motion controls and not teleporting in Serious Sam VR to stand a chance, and after less than an hour I'm feeling decidedly green around the gills; its a fun game for VR but I don't think I have the stomach for it. Be a shame to refund the bundle but I don't know if I can stick it out.

Don’t push yourself but give it time. Some people I guess never get passed it but I feel like most do.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I played e:d with voice commands/hotas/vr and its pretty cool, but space still looks "flat" to me there. Is there a vr capable space game of any genre that doesn't look flat when you're actually out in space?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space is actually really flat.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Google Butt posted:

So I played e:d with voice commands/hotas/vr and its pretty cool, but space still looks "flat" to me there. Is there a vr capable space game of any genre that doesn't look flat when you're actually out in space?

When you are traveling at relativistic speeds everything seems smaller or closer together.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Google Butt posted:

Star Shelter? Its more "floating around" in space but Id guess you would say its less flat. :D

Cojawfee posted:

Space is actually really flat.

Super flat.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Hellsau posted:

[> ]
[> ]

is less obvious. You can kind of glancing blow either top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top while pulling right, or just kind of hold the saber vertically and shift it rightwards, but it's a bit silly.

Oh, sorry. That's suuuper dumb, eww.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

leave science out of this, thanks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My advice is fly closer to things.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Titans of Space, but the only reason it appears to have depth is because its planets are only 100m or so large. Your eyes just can't perceive depth at real planetary scales.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

homeless snail posted:

My advice is fly closer to things.

reasonable advice. I really hate the e:d devs because I just want all the ships now I don't care about your stupid rear end point a to b missions, gently caress you!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

GutBomb posted:

look at this

just look at it

how can one person be so wrong???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GutBomb posted:

a truly, truly shameful snipe

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/8iycxl/psa_you_can_now_view_and_import_3d_models_into/

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

nightwisher posted:

Wait, do you mean like: [> ] [> ] ? Because those are in like, every expert song. You just cut through all of them in that direction. I would have thought it'd be pretty simple to understand what's required.

Yeah, no, as others said literally above each other.

[>]
[>]

It's the dumbest thing in a game about slicing cubes.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Oculus is supposedly is doing something similar soon. I can't wait until I can add old arcade cabinets into my home space.
Are there any arcade simulators out there that let you add ROMs?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fredrik1 posted:

[>]
[>]

Yeah even if it was like,
[> ]
___[> ]

you could see how that'd be a diagonal slash, but there are diagonal boxes so...the straight vertical stacks are kind of dumb.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

Are there any arcade simulators out there that let you add ROMs?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon/

I guess you can import roms, emulators, and cabinets. It looked like a lot of setup to me so I ended up not getting into it but a friend of mine swears by it.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon/

I guess you can import roms, emulators, and cabinets. It looked like a lot of setup to me so I ended up not getting into it but a friend of mine swears by it.

Nice! I found a youtube video where they basically set up a new acrade for you in NRA: N. Gonna give this a try.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

SO I got a fault 02 base station error tonight. That means it's toast and I need to RMA right? It said to cycle the power but that didn't do anything. :(

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Google Butt posted:

reasonable advice. I really hate the e:d devs because I just want all the ships now I don't care about your stupid rear end point a to b missions, gently caress you!

When I was playing, there was 2 dumb ways to grind out a bunch of money. Passenger scan that was 5 minutes round trip and the planet scan that you just wrecked your ship to go back. Once you get all those ships, it becomes a grind to unlock engineers. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need to reference online resources non stop. And the game is pretty fun when you can just dog fight or want to explore randomly. In the end, the vr headset seems to low resolution to really appreciate some sights that look great in screenshots.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Fredrik1 posted:

[>]
[>]

Come on guys, this is obviously where you do a sick twirl of the lightsaber over the back of your hand.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
after a good hour long beat saber session, i noticed something funny. i was... happy. for some bizarre reason, there was this fluffy mental cloud i was sitting on and i couldn't stop grinning. the game had been fun and satisfying, yes, but not enough to give me such a significant mood lift. then, i realized: a videogame had tricked my body into releasing endorphins. this is better than drugs, and i didn't even have to go run a couple miles.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

On Terra Firma posted:

SO I got a fault 02 base station error tonight. That means it's toast and I need to RMA right? It said to cycle the power but that didn't do anything. :(

Friend, if that thing isn't in warranty (and quite possibly if it is) toss it and get a new one on Amazon. I went through this poo poo last month. $90 plus shipping plus a multiple month lead time for lord knows what reason. Amazon had one at my house later that week for $120 or something.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

Friend, if that thing isn't in warranty (and quite possibly if it is) toss it and get a new one on Amazon. I went through this poo poo last month. $90 plus shipping plus a multiple month lead time for lord knows what reason. Amazon had one at my house later that week for $120 or something.

I got it back in December so I'm still within the warranty period. It's just weird because I haven't touched the system for weeks and out of the blue it just dies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Socks4Hands posted:

after a good hour long beat saber session, i noticed something funny. i was... happy. for some bizarre reason, there was this fluffy mental cloud i was sitting on and i couldn't stop grinning. the game had been fun and satisfying, yes, but not enough to give me such a significant mood lift. then, i realized: a videogame had tricked my body into releasing endorphins. this is better than drugs, and i didn't even have to go run a couple miles.

They're basically drugging you through deceit, they never said it would be exercise, how dare they.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

On Terra Firma posted:

I got it back in December so I'm still within the warranty period. It's just weird because I haven't touched the system for weeks and out of the blue it just dies.

Good on you then. Get that started ASAP and I'm so so so sorry in advance.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

There's a bunch of vr poo poo on sale on humblebundle https://www.reddit.com/r/vrgamedeals/comments/8igs3l/riftvivewmr_humble_store_spring_sale_vr_deals/

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love a tactical space combat game in VR like homeworld, but I think it has to played on like a holographic table like in Lone Echo, thats on the bridge of the command ship of your fleet. Where you can look out the windows and see the real ships being represented on the holo table, see the explosions, feel the hits to your command ship etc.

I would love that, but just having a god view of the whole thing without feeling a part of it all just kinda feels dry and removed.

This would be a good and correct way to do things.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love a tactical space combat game in VR like homeworld, but I think it has to played on like a holographic table like in Lone Echo, thats on the bridge of the command ship of your fleet. Where you can look out the windows and see the real ships being represented on the holo table, see the explosions, feel the hits to your command ship etc.

I would love that, but just having a god view of the whole thing without feeling a part of it all just kinda feels dry and removed.

Uh.

Yes, yes please.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, that idea would be boss in so many settings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tom Guycot posted:

Maybe add in having a limited fleet command/control range so that while you might still be in the back in your command cruiser, those explosions are still awfully close and silently getting closer...

hey bored geniuses, you reading this

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Picked up the Croteam VR bundle today. Played The Talos Principle for about 3 hours. Took a while to get the locomotion set up for something that works for me, but it's pretty good. Only got stuck on one puzzle so far. I refuse to look anything up this early on.

Serious Sam is terrifying in VR. Though the weapon scale is hilarious.

Has anyone played Obduction with a headset? Open world exploration games in interesting places seems like a slam dunk for VR.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Thanks for posting this! I haven't followed Humble Bundle stuff in a long time so I totally would have missed out on this

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oculus Go impressions!

It looks just like a Rift, maybe a bit smaller. I think they went soft straps to make it a little more of a compact and casual package but it can feel a little heavy on your face.

Screen clarity is pretty excellent. I suppose screen door effect exists but it's not that noticeable. Certainly not noticeable for a casual user not looking for it. Chromatic aberration is definitely there and you can see lots of blues in the periphery of your vision, but again, really doubt a casual user is going to notice or care.

The controller is fantastic - they really nailed this. It kind of mimics a side-to-side motion as you sweep it horizontally, so it's not just fixed in place. Somehow it works really well and almost gives the impression that it's 6DOF tracked. Not sure if Daydream also did this but it's well done. Feels great in your hand.

As for the software, Oculus is good at making a home screen that's easy to navigate. The web browser works well and is easy to read, though it seemed like maybe it was stuck on mobile sites? Needed to zoom out or something, I dunno. The Netflix app works well and movies and shows are totally watchable. Really impressed with the media clarity overall. I was impressed they crammed Mission ISS on there. You can even fly and drag yourself around like the desktop version, though I'm pretty sure it's going to kill your battery.

The only dumb thing is that Oculus Rooms and Facebook Spaces are two completely separate programs that don't interact. Not sure why you'd want to segment your already tiny user base. I think Bigscreen can be used to get around this.

Overall, extremely impressed. It's just such a slick little package that anyone could use. 3DOF has its limitations, but they work around them well and if you're unfamiliar with VR you're going to be impressed.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've never played a music rhythm game in VR before. Should I get Audio Shield, Beat Saber, Sound Boxing, Box VR or something else? Maybe Rez or Thumper?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

The Grey posted:

I've never played a music rhythm game in VR before. Should I get Audio Shield, Beat Saber, Sound Boxing, Box VR or something else? Maybe Rez or Thumper?

Beat Saber, I'd stay away from Audio Shield unless you're not bothered by generated beat tracks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rez isn’t a rhythm game in the same way the others are; its genre is more properly on rails shooter with a bitchin aesthetic and soundtrack.

It is, however, completely amazing and should be picked up. Just don’t expect a ton of content unless you’re going for the score attack thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Grey posted:

Beat saber or boxvr.

Wanna work out and have auto maps. Box.
Wanna swing sabers and stuff. Beat saber.

I play both still. Beat sabers default songs have finally wore thin on me. So I’m back to box until the official map tools are out.