Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

Alright, can we get time out here. I just want everyone to stop for a minute so we can fully take in the state of Chris' wig:

It looks like it's trying to crawl off his loving head for gently caress's sake.

He's wearing a Wing Commander shirt, and the title is how it all started, so I'm assuming this is Chris at the beginning?

You know back then he probably didn't have millions of dollars to afford the more realistic hair pieces he can adorn now.

A simpler time, a simpler toupee. :trustme:

"Of course this is my real hair why would you ask that?"

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

The Titanic posted:

He's wearing a Wing Commander shirt, and the title is how it all started, so I'm assuming this is Chris at the beginning?

You know back then he probably didn't have millions of dollars to afford the more realistic hair pieces he can adorn now.

A simpler time, a simpler toupee. :trustme:

He could have joined the Monkees with that one, no audition required.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Grubby Hobo posted:

He could have joined the Monkees with that one, no audition required.

Though honestly I don't care about his hair. I know lots of guys suffering from lots of different stages of baldness and some are old, and some are like early 20s, but it's not something I usually target in a guy because it just is what it is and it's ok to be bald or balding.

I guess though the amusing part is the attempts at hiding it and the hair always seems to be just a bit different and just a bit bit quite real each time it's seen. It could actually just be his real hair and he doesn't know how to keep himself properly maintained. I don't know. :shrug:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Happily listening to Archive Priest's latest ARGcast recordings (with Bootcha and TheAgent) (they're great, go listen!) and Agent mentioned his old predictions. Time to have a look!

(SA Search doesn't seem to look into the archives, so I'm stuck there :saddowns:)

TheAgent, Oct 28th 2016:

Backer responds:

:laffo:

TheAgent, Dec 20th 2016:

No funny backer responses :negative:

TheAgent, Jan 5th 2017:

Backers respond:

Thanks to Obey-The-Fist archiving a leak, here's an original from 9th Jan 2017:

TheAgent posted:

hello

• backers will be able to "early access" (alpha test) the sqlude
  • this will be considered the "preview" release version (mvp I guess)
  • this will also count as the first episode
  • in order to alpha test other episodes/content, backers will have to pay
  • SQ42 is "tied deeply" into SC techwise/network
  • currently no plans for completely offline play
  • ships, skins and other cash shop items cross over game modes
  • "original vision" (internally called OV or CV?) candidate sometime in 2019 with promised sq42 feature list

and in wtf news

quote:

SQ42 is cancelled. It has become a series of single player missions folded directly into Star Citizen. This acts as the tutorial and early character creation. Any other news about Squadron 42 is fake or uninformed. This change has been considered since late-2015 and the final decision was made mid-2016.

and since this is all p dire have some more leaks from 100% confirmed sources
  • 3.0 will release sometime in late Feb 2017
  • all 3 episodes of SQ42 will be out before citcon
  • 4.0 is coming along very well, I've played it several times and its amazing
  • planetary landings in cities will make you want to jizz over a custom built star citizen branded hotas
  • procgen tech is unlike anything anyone has ever seen ever by anyone
  • I hate chris roberts
  • I am derek smart
  • I collect paychecks from EA
  • I am so gay
  • I only play on consoles because I don't own a PC
  • I am jealous of everyone at CIG/RSI
  • I won't know what to do when chris roberts proves me and my ilk totally wong [sic]
:lol:

Backers respond:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Golli posted:

lending succssfl

I'm posting from the past to say I'll be extremely disappointed if I catch up and this isn't the thread title

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Quick question - Rub???

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Someone should show Chris this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k35oY5jRxk

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo posted:

Quick question - Rub???

Never not rub

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/my9g5Of.gifv

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Meanwhile, at MMORPG.com

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not going to arbitrarily override Beer's anime rule, so no. Just because I might be loosening the laces on my jackboots a bit (do jackboots have laces?) doesn't mean he is as well.

yeah but tbf that largely ended organically before the no meme rule. I don't think I ever handed out a probation (I could be wrong) for those gifs, even though seeing page after page with like a dozen each got pretty annoying too. It was supposed to curtail the imgflip.com style "Bad Luck Brian" posts and poo poo that cropped up for a little while (didn't read lol), which I think to an extent it has, but I'm not happy with how arbitrary the decision process is a lot of the time ("Well it's SC related" or "Yeah but is it really a meme just because it's a picture with words?" etc) and quite frankly the only memes that really get posted any more are either A) legitimately clever and bring something to the thread or B) people wanting a crobbear probation in which case it's almost easier if you just ask lol.

Pretty sure madden gif time was when derek was a mod but following this trainwreck for so long has seriously affected my long and short term memory.

Battletech is good, not that that is relevant to anything I have just said.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure madden gif time was when derek was a mod but following this trainwreck for so long has seriously affected my long and short term memory.

Battletech is good, not that that is relevant to anything I have just said.

Yeah it was. By the time of the Great Sundering almost nobody was posting madden gifs anymore. Still see them pop up every now and then, but not 10 a page like they used to be lol.

Battletech is good. Between that and Far Cry 5 I’m almost too busy to shitpost about star citizer.

Also let’s just take a moment to appreciate that that mmorpg.com dude is naive enough to not realize Chris is trying to look like a tech genius a la Steve Jobs.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
This seems weirdly familiar...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/check-out-this-surreal-chat-with-theranos-investor-who-says-hes-thrilled/

Crazy investor defends the company who stole his money. If it weren't for those people exposing the lies! Those jerks!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Draper as in 6 californias draper? Heavily invested in bitcoin draper?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Draper as in 6 californias draper? Heavily invested in bitcoin draper?
Yes, and he was wearing a bitcoin tie during the interview - skip ahead to 3 minutes in the linked video:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/05/10/vc-draper-theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-was-bullied-into-submission.html

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I'm going to go out on a limb as suggest making an engine costs less than 200 million dollars.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Grubby Hobo posted:

And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, they will see the gold trim of your ship, and then they will fear you.

I just loving knew the FREEMAN OF THE LAND and Star Citizen Venn Diagram was a single circle.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Slow trainwreck day, I'll just leave this

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Does Erin have motor skill issues? Poor trooper.

Still manages to be the better Roberts.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

Playing a game of six degrees one night with some friends in London, I found I was one hop from Warhol.

Shame he was dead.

So, in games that will soon exist and provide some logistics;

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/9/17336124/deadstick-bush-flight-simulator-release-date-price

The biggest problems with flight sims in general is that they're painstakingly rendered and hugely accurate sandboxes with not a lot to do in them; Military sims will often have a campaign, but it'll be set missions and once you've figured out the parameters, it's effectively doing the same thing over and over.

So career modes have started to spring up. Deadstick is one of the more interesting ones because it puts you in the pants of a bush pilot with a stick'n'rudder plane;

The last bit suggests some exciting failures to contend with during flight, which is actually pretty drat cool.

In other random flight sim news, it appears that 777 is going to update Rise of Flight, their WWI sim. This already has a campaign mode, but I freely admit to being bad.

Also Dovetail Games has entirely poo poo the bed and suggested that no, they can't make a slight sim better than FSX, despite having FSX and are abandoning Flight Sim World, which is a shame considering they also had a career mode in Beta that was promising.

Nice find. Funny about you mentioning flight sims having not a lot to do. recently had a shot at FSEconomy and found it a bit "too easy" to make coin.

So being the sadist that I am, I've landed in amongst the teutons with Fly the World, http://www.ftw-sim.de/
It adds an economic layer to your flight sim of choice. Currently flying in Xplane 11.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

This is actually a good idea.
Let Chris play director with somebody else's money, and hire a producer who is a skilled closer to assume all responsibilities.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

I think a show about Star Citizen is more paranormal than sci fi. But I guess the genres are pretty similar.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

lending succssfl

:golfclap:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Joecee Florida, commenting on DaGaimez’s video posted:

Joecee Florida
19:51 that Chris Roberts was in (massive) Debt and was a use car salesman where's the proof/evidence for this extraordinary claim from bootcha and his following?

All that was provided by this dude and derek smart cult was a guy with the same name as chris roberts who was still working as a Cars Salesman (so is CR still moonlighting as a part time used car salesman on the side?). I also knew a Chris Robert once, working as a GM at a Safeway Grocery Store in Cali, so is CR also working at CIG, part timing as a used rental car salesman and GMing a Safeway on the side ?

Remember, this was the dude along with derek smart, and their cultish following, spear headed a doxxing campaign over at Somethingawful forum around Oct 2015, which the thread eventually had to be shut down to delete/clean up all pics, and consolidated published public (identifying) info, aimed towards instigating, harassment, bullying, and intimidation, specifically targeted at Sandi Gardiener, which Bootcha had an abrasive confrontational interaction with according to his whining and rhetoric on Somethingawful forums.

This is a dude with an extreme bias and :sandance: butt hurt :sandance: ... so take his word with a grain of salt and skepticism.

edit: You (DaGaimez), can confirm 100% that chris roberts of CIG was a used rental car saleman and not some other dude with the same name who happens to sell used rental cars. Becuase the info provided at the time, it showed it was another Chris Roberts and was still sell cars at that time.

I’ve never known what to believe about the whole car salesman thing. It’s never struck me personally as that important. From Sandi’s own Sunny’s Diner interview, it didn’t sound like Chris was spoiled for career choices prior to their crowdfunding campaign. That seems, to me, like the more salient biographical detail from that hazy chapter. Sandi reinforced that unhappy pre-historical circumstance elsewhere, too, recounting how she openly questioned his relevance to modern gamers in their pre-kickoff planning. Doesn’t sound like an especially happy time.

Whatever he did or didn’t do post-Hollywood, pre-Star Citizen, it can’t be denied that Chris Roberts is the world’s greatest spaceship salesman today.

CIG’s marketing is constantly burnishing that very image of Chris. They intentionally brand their ship sales like car commercials. The Galactic Tour series of commercial parodies leans even further into car culture tropes.

It doesn’t mean Chris was a car salesman, but it does show he uses CIG to market and sell spaceships like cars and has from the very start. Whether from experience or just aptitude, he’s a natural.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

I’ve never known what to believe about the whole car salesman thing. It’s never struck me personally as that important. From Sandi’s own Sunny’s Diner interview, it didn’t sound like Chris was spoiled for career choices prior to their crowdfunding campaign. That seems, to me, like the more salient biographical detail from that hazy chapter. Sandi reinforced that unhappy pre-historical circumstance elsewhere, too, recounting how she openly questioned his relevance to modern gamers in their pre-kickoff planning. Doesn’t sound like an especially happy time.

Whatever he did or didn’t do post-Hollywood, pre-Star Citizen, it can’t be denied that Chris Roberts is the world’s greatest spaceship salesman today.

CIG’s marketing is constantly burnishing that very image of Chris. They intentionally brand their ship sales like car commercials. The Galactic Tour series of commercial parodies leans even further into car culture tropes.

It doesn’t mean Chris was a car salesman, but it does show he uses CIG to market and sell spaceships like cars and has from the very start. Whether from experience or just aptitude, he’s a natural.

Maybe laughable but Google seems to return absolutely nothing relevant if you used the words "Chris Roberts car rental Austin dealer" etc in the period prior to 2012. Maybe I needed to use "fidelity".

I do not know man.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
A salient point

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/260632263?t=01h03m29s

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

G0RF posted:

The Galactic Tour series of commercial parodies leans even further into car culture tropes.

I'd never seen those before - a pretend Top Gear about the spaceships of Star Citizen - crazy.

I can see what you mean, Gorf, the way these ships are sold and the kind talk you'd get from a car program are quite similar. One thing I've noticed from watching Top Gear is that the car is put across very much as a means of self expression, a statement about who you are. Needless to say, that kind of bullshit appeals to the citizens.

What does having a 600i say about you?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I was just listening to Relay myself. Haven’t made it that far but man even the first forty five minutes has been pretty surprising. CIG’s poor marketing choices turned the Hercules sale into a psychological dirty bomb. The sale now joins a montage reel of recent short-sighted, cash-seeking changes on CIG’s part.

I’ve heard the word “desperate” repeatedly on streamer shows and that’s very new. Astropub’s show earlier had grousing about how merchandise now has $35 shipping charges per item, and all items are now shipped separately. How can that not unnerve people who once could spend $35 and get a shipped issue of Jump Point or a shipped t-shirt? CIG has surely killed all demand for merchandise with this kind of gouging, and even if demand wasn’t that high to begin with, this surely killed whatever remained and sent alarming signals to the very people they most need to keep confident.

Erris, as one might expect, wants a return to happier times. He starts the conversation about LTI here and eventually starts a slow-burn rant here. Again he returns to the great Heresy that CIG are supposed to be building the game they want, not, as the sacred Pledge once promised, “the game you want to play.”

One thing that is palpable across nearly every recent stream and so frequently now on the subreddit is that the community is fed up with the clumsiness and carelessness of CIG’s marketing. The pragmatic voices are resigned to CIG’s transmogrification into an EA-like enterprise. The principled voices are drawing lines in the sand and decrying bad practices from a company that want to be a good company. Yet all of them — even Erris — resent the incompetence on display via CIG’s communication and everyone knows this can and should be done better. Yet it won’t and everyone knows why it won’t.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

One thing CIG does right:

They refine their list of gullible and broken people even further.

If someone would use it to sell some SC unrelated poo poo, i bet you can get a 1:5 ratio or better. I hope some CIG employees see the potential and copy that stuff for later use.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

I'd never seen those before - a pretend Top Gear about the spaceships of Star Citizen - crazy.

I can see what you mean, Gorf, the way these ships are sold and the kind talk you'd get from a car program are quite similar. One thing I've noticed from watching Top Gear is that the car is put across very much as a means of self expression, a statement about who you are. Needless to say, that kind of bullshit appeals to the citizens.

I’m amazed anybody could’ve missed it — they did 8 distinct segments just for CitCon 2016 alone. But yeah, you’re right, the pitch is encouraging people to make statements about themselves with their preferred ship choices. And it works. People who love Drake’s stripped down ships will explain at length why they love them. Those who love Origin’s luxury stylings fetishize the beautiful detailing. It’s truly the ship of choice for the would-be Certified Millionaires out there (i.e. those who want to brand themselves in game as men of sophisticated tastes.) It’s all tied into the role play side, and nobody can deny CIG’s ship team doesn’t do breathtaking work. As Beet and others have said, the ship buying game IS the game now, and clearly this is per Chris’s design.

That this should not have become the case, ever, is now very much on the minds of many of the streamers, too. Even though most are whales.

Twerk was miserably frustrated about the unwillingness for the community to just let the LTI debate go. He’s become so sick of the fixation on ship talk, the “is CIG running out of money” speculation, and wants the conversations to be about Gameplay Gameplay Gameplay because isn’t that what Star Citizen is all about? A game?

He’s right to want that. And you can tell many of the developers in the trenches want that and have long wanted that. It’s too bad they’re lead by a man who couldn’t have wanted the same too from the start because even if they’d not raised nearly so much money they could’ve had a killer diller space game by now...

MedicineHut posted:

Maybe laughable but Google seems to return absolutely nothing relevant if you used the words "Chris Roberts car rental Austin dealer" etc in the period prior to 2012. Maybe I needed to use "fidelity".

I do not know man.
I don’t either. It’s always been a fringier subject though I understand why it’s got traction with others as a meme. Chris is a vehicle salesman, a really great one, and you don’t need to believe he actually sold cars in some cloudy beforehand to know he’s great at selling spaceships and fantasies of the universe they’ll eventually be worth owning in.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Chris wasn't a used car salesman. He rented out hi performance and exotic cars to Hollywood types. This was way before 2012 going back to the late nineties v early 00's. He did this in partnership with a couple of other guys one of whom ripped him off

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Peter.Quint posted:

That you're too poor to buy the 890.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AutismVaccine posted:

One thing CIG does right:

They refine their list of gullible and broken people even further.

If someone would use it to sell some SC unrelated poo poo, i bet you can get a 1:5 ratio or better. I hope some CIG employees see the potential and copy that stuff for later use.

It's not completely unrelated but the squatty potty dude is apparently making good sales.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

trucutru posted:

It's not completely unrelated but the squatty potty dude is apparently making good sales.

To be fair to him, if you were given that to sell you'd go all out for crazy marketing strategies too.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

EightAce posted:

Chris wasn't a used car salesman. He rented out hi performance and exotic cars to Hollywood types. This was way before 2012 going back to the late nineties v early 00's. He did this in partnership with a couple of other guys one of whom ripped him off

Could all this be some twisted revenge thing.

Makes you think.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Dooguk posted:

Could all this be some twisted revenge thing.

Makes you think.
The Sandworm has turned and now Chris will be profiting via vehicular ripoffs.

Also, Bootcha’s reply to Joecee “butt hurt” Florida seems worth including in thread:

Bootcha posted:

I verified the phone number that was listed on the website. It was the same phone number I had for Chairman of CIG Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame on my phone, as well as his business card. Due to the nature of the series, I felt it was not in anyone's best interest to show that phone number to the broader public. It's a case that you have to take my word for it. It's a small detail with rumor and basic amounts of corroborating anecdotes as to the nature of the business. I would not have brought it up if it was a different person.

:sandance::pgabz::sandance:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

reverend crabhands posted:

Still better than making yoghurt with vaginal yeast

-pineapple- yoghurt.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frank_Leroux posted:

Fair enough. Consider my nose duly whacked, and I won't do it again. Honest, Gov'ner!

Don’t be fooled, it’s a perfectly manicured iron fist inside a velvet glove. I’m thinking a deep petrol blue.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

6+ years into development, engine still very much broken... BDSSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

/r/StarCitizen review the video: