Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

It's just bigger. It's one of those things you don't want to think about too much. At some point in one of the Marvel DC crossovers it's mentioned that the Earth in DC is physically larger than the Earth in Marvel.

Here's the statement in question, from JLA/Avengers #2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah.

Now, if only there was a rich guy who had enough clout and pull to get his city back on its feet, who had a major corporation backing him. Man, he could create jobs with excellent security for every single citizen in his city.

Guy like that could be a hero.

I'm going to look on the next page and find someone already claiming that Batman does this in their headcanon.

E: aww nuts

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

ManiacClown posted:

Here's the statement in question, from JLA/Avengers #2.

To think there was a time when DC superheroes were perceived to be more inspirational than Marvel ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

To think there was a time when DC superheroes were perceived to be more inspirational than Marvel ones.

Hey, Superman can still inspire me.

To flee in terror.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, Superman can still inspire me.

To flee in terror.

Superman inspired me to be more like Thor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Man, it's weird seeing Wolverine casually dropping 'demagogue' into his dialogue.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Darthemed posted:

Man, it's weird seeing Wolverine casually dropping 'demagogue' into his dialogue.

I mean, he does live in a school.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

But what if, instead, he built a weird car?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

Gotham always seemed like an amalgam of every dying passed-over northeastern city suffering from deindustrialization. It's Trenton and Camden and Baltimore and Atlantic City, with echoes of Youngstown and Detroit and Gary.

Metropolis is everything that's good about New York City, sparkling in the bright sunshine. It's Broadway and the fashion industry and the publishing industry and all the museums and Central Park and famous skyscrapers and the skating rink at Rockefeller Center and Columbia University and NYU and colorful ethnic neighborhoods with tons of excellent restaurants and conventions and tourists and the constant hum of new construction.

Metropolis is New York City in the 2000's, Gotham is New York City in the 1970's. (I'm trying to give this a new spin.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Frank Miller based Gotham in DKR off how he was mugged on his first day in New York, didn't he?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So Wolverine is alive again? Why is he old and half blind?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

alternate future timeline wolverine

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But original flavor is back as well.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
According to Denny O'Neill, Metropolis is New York above 14th Street, and Gotham is New York below 14th Street. Although he said that in the '70s, before a lot of gentrification happened.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

Can Marvel just make a month where Sabretooth is inexplicably named leader of every team? Please?

And of course it works out about as well as you'd expect.

Did Sabretooth become younger than Wolverine at some point?

edit: I should probably read all the way up to the end of the thread first. :doh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always thought of Gotham as Chicago but on the coast. Tall, cold and corrupt as hell.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Didn't DC's superheroes turn up in Marvel's world, see that things weren't as perfect as theirs, and immediately decide "well their superheroes must be uninspiring super-lameos who can't show their people true heroism"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MikeJF posted:

I always thought of Gotham as Chicago but on the coast. Tall, cold and corrupt as hell.

Didn't DC's superheroes turn up in Marvel's world, see that things weren't as perfect as theirs, and immediately decide "well their superheroes must be uninspiring super-lameos who can't show their people true heroism"

Yeah, and the Avengers showed up in the DC universe, saw they had statues and museums dedicated to the Justice League and immediately thought "these guys must be fascist overlords with their boot heel on the neck of the populace."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, and the Avengers showed up in the DC universe, saw they had statues and museums dedicated to the Justice League and immediately thought "these guys must be fascist overlords with their boot heel on the neck of the populace."

Quicksilver was very envious of Flash's museum.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how the Flash was powerless when he got to the Marvel universe because the Speed Force didn't exist there, and how Darkseid got the Infinity Gauntlet but discarded it because the Infinity Gems are powerless in the DC universe.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I really wish that comic was still available. :/

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love all the people saying Gotham can't be chicago because of a coastal/dock district, and assume there's absolutely zero shipping going on in the great lakes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Choco1980 posted:

I love all the people saying Gotham can't be chicago because of a coastal/dock district, and assume there's absolutely zero shipping going on in the great lakes.

Yeah, but you'd have to go through customs before then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hup posted:

I really wish that comic was still available. :/

Buy them now before the prices go up even higher. They've doubled in the last year or so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Buy them now before the prices go up even higher. They've doubled in the last year or so.

Have they? I got the series when it first came out, and thankfully they didn't get stolen when someone broke into my house years ago and stole half of my collection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, with there being no possible future reprints the originals have been ticking up in price.

I posted a "what would save in a fire" pic on Instagram and the HC was one of the books I picked and I had an even dozen offers to buy it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Zoidberg?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why not?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That Nova series was too good for this sick world.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Yeah. At least Rich is hanging around with the Guardians for now. Shame Sam's more than likely going to be dropping off the face of the Earth after Infinity Countdown.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah.

Now, if only there was a rich guy who had enough clout and pull to get his city back on its feet, who had a major corporation backing him. Man, he could create jobs with excellent security for every single citizen in his city.

"I don't want to create jobs for everyone in Gotham. I want to destroy Superman."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phy posted:

"I don't want to create jobs for everyone in Gotham. I want to destroy Superman."

:ssh: He means Bruce Wayne, not Lex.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

:ssh: He means Bruce Wayne, not Lex.

Pretty sure that was his point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Pretty sure that was his point.

Yeah, I wasn't sure of the exact point I was making, except that it seemed to be a good description of Luthor (and any other number of comic book industrialists) as much as it was of Bruce Wayne.

Plus I just like the Sauron Justification.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah.

He does. It doesn't get shown as often, but the main comics have shown it.

Hell, one of the major reasons Batman wasn't around in No Man's Land after the quake was he was trying to get the government to do something as Wayne, but was blocked apparently at every turn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, with there being no possible future reprints the originals have been ticking up in price.

I posted a "what would save in a fire" pic on Instagram and the HC was one of the books I picked and I had an even dozen offers to buy it.

Eh, Disney will buy WB in a couple years and just merge it all together, then we get reprints on JLA/Avengers and Amalgam stuff

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Hell, one of the major reasons Batman wasn't around in No Man's Land after the quake was he was trying to get the government to do something as Wayne, but was blocked apparently at every turn.

Wasn't that while Luthor was president? I could see that petty bastard being like "Gotham's ruined? Well that's one superhero I won't have to deal with again, awesome."

Anyway, Secret Warriors #7

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 15, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I feel like a lot of writers are too in love with rear end in a top hat Batman to show Bruce doing positive things in the community. Some of my favorite moments in the animated series were about Bruce doing nice things while trying to maintain his image as a slightly aloof and naive businessman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will always live Conroy's soft Bruce Wayne voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I will always live Conroy's soft Bruce Wayne voice.

It saddens me that the Arkham games and the recent garbo animated movies have him voice Bruce as basically Batman Lite. Hell, even New Adventures kinda made Bruce Wayne more like Batman, and you lose something there. I always liked how there was a clear distinction between the Batman voice, the public Bruce Wayne voice, and the "real" Bruce who talks to Alfred and Robin, which is closer to Batman but not quite as harsh.