Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Today was an Indian cultural festival where I learned that dahi vada is unpalatable which makes my short “foods I hate” list as #2. I’ll suck down a heaping tray of dahi vada before I eat a single water chestnut.

nah water chestnuts still rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

they both have pretty slow starts but if you're cool with a more turn-based jrpg kinda thing trails in the sky and trails of cold steel are good, sky is the first one technically but if you want something more recent cold steel is easier to jump into and has a more fleshed out combat system and i personally really like the cast in it

I already have Tails in the sky on steam but have never gotten around to playing it so I will be sure to give it a try.

babypolis posted:

oh I missed that post

OP have you tried the Suikoden series? they sound right up your alley

I will look into the Suikoden series as well.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

apparently the Lord British failed MMO Shroud of the Avatar has steampunk kobolds

not that you'd know by looking at it, as it's literally built out of Unity store assets. lmao.

A streamer I watch went from highly anticipating that game to being ambivalent about it to hating it. Apparently they made the combat system some dumb bullshit involving cards that pissed him off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to give it another shot freshly cooked because fried dal balls are good and well spiced yogurt is good but mixing them together and serving it from a lasagna tray creates a texture that can only be described as soggy white bread.

Got to get fresh pressed sugarcane and that made my day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried to get some work done on a Saturday night, which was foolish and I didn't even get that much done as I got distracted by watching Giant Bomb videos and looking up short rib braise recipes. Looking at my pantry I have some shoyu, apple cider vinegar, shiraz, and chicken stock so I think I'm gonna go with that

I think I'm gonna play some God of War

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGPL16TKzpc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

A streamer I watch went from highly anticipating that game to being ambivalent about it to hating it. Apparently they made the combat system some dumb bullshit involving cards that pissed him off.

yep. and ironically enough, the combat system is like, the one thing they put effort into (misguided though it was)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Driving through the Void of Dread might be unpleasant but it shaves like 10 whole minutes off my daily commute.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Driving through the Void of Dread might be unpleasant but it shaves like 10 whole minutes off my daily commute.

Commutes are always driving through the Void of Dread.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just noticed that despite me hating deckbuilding games as a rule, because I can't grok concepts like composition and efficiency etc very well, the only games I've played the last couple games have been or been composed of deck builders

(those being Star Traders: Frontiers and Slay the Spire)

I've played Shadowverse I think, and gently caress Hearthstone, but I wonder what else is out there that I might like. StS has a really different take on deckbuilding than the "here you are, go nuts" that I'm used to, probably not a lot out there like it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember Driv3r

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I just noticed that despite me hating deckbuilding games as a rule, because I can't grok concepts like composition and efficiency etc very well, the only games I've played the last couple games have been or been composed of deck builders

(those being Star Traders: Frontiers and Slay the Spire)

I've played Shadowverse I think, and gently caress Hearthstone, but I wonder what else is out there that I might like. StS has a really different take on deckbuilding than the "here you are, go nuts" that I'm used to, probably not a lot out there like it

"Deckbuilding game" usually refers to games like Dominion where you build your deck during gameplay itself. TCGs don't usually receive that label.

If you don't like building decks the secret to enjoying TCGs is netdecking.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 13, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

"Deckbuilding game" usually refers to games like Dominion where you build your deck during gameplay itself. TCGs don't usually receive that label.

If you don't like building decks the secret to enjoying TCGs in netdecking.

I guess I like deckbuilding games but not TCGs then--StS's nature is obvious, and in STF you "build" the decks for various operations by weighting them through training and the like. Boy is that a finely split hair of a difference

Suppose I should go a googlin', see what's out there that I might have missed (Dominion is a board game I'm assuming from a cursory check)

(e) as for netdecking I don't see it as cheating or anything but I do know that for me it runs counter to what, in theory, makes e.g. Hearthstone or MTG fun for other people

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Boy is that a finely split hair of a difference

There might be games that blur the line these days but Dominion is really really different from something like Magic: The Gathering hence the difference in genre names.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Ouch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also sorta kinda maybe wondering if I want to try A Hat in Time tomorrow

Did love mario odyssey, after all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoever designed this room in Bruhme Tower with the three axe knights and a big fire demon, well, I genuinely hope they die soon

lol I've killed the easy one enough that it's stoped spawning

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 13, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat jade empire just now. Idk if i liked it. There were cool story parts but mechanically its like they took kotor and made it worse in every way

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do you ever get to go into the tower of flame in dark souls 2?

That game had some neat-looking areas but I wish the wharf had been more fleshed out.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
i think majula ranks as one of the most beautiful hub levels in all of videogames. the way the sun shines and the sea moves while that amazing theme plays makes everything so mesmerizing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DLC's are brutal I'm gonna play something not Souls for a bit

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sakurazuka posted:

Whoever designed this room in Bruhme Tower with the three axe knights and a big fire demon, well, I genuinely hope they die soon

:thunk:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this but to its own source image. streets of rage 1. the game where you co-op the entire game, and then when you get to the final boss he tells you to fight your friend to the death and you can

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's double painful because streets of rage 1 is way too long and gets miserable to play

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
and the ending screen changes so you become the new leader of mr. x's cartel. it shows your character cackling as he/she sits on mr. x's throne as the credits roll

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Doesn't the same thing happen in Double Dragon but you're fighting over who's going to bang the girl?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just read a thing that said that the path to each great soul in dark souls 2 takes you through the course of a day, with majula representing being back to sunrise

Samuringa posted:

Doesn't the same thing happen in Double Dragon but you're fighting over who's going to bang the girl?

IIRC, Double Dragon 1 only let you play as one character and then the final boss was your brother, then in the sequels you could play as either brother

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

I just read a thing that said that the path to each great soul in dark souls 2 takes you through the course of a day, with majula representing being back to sunrise

IIRC, Double Dragon 1 only let you play as one character and then the final boss was your brother, then in the sequels you could play as either brother

The arcade game had bro vs bro at the end but you are correct about the NES game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat jade empire just now. Idk if i liked it. There were cool story parts but mechanically its like they took kotor and made it worse in every way

were you open hand or closed hand

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Momday! Momday! Games Cha... etc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Tacoma and I'm glad the story managed to avoid pretty much every indie game cliche

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What are the indie game cliches

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was all a dream/in your head, no john you are the demons, being vague so you don't have to explain anything, etc

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was all a dream/in your head, no john you are the demons, being vague so you don't have to explain anything, etc

Those are AAA themes now, indies are now about mashing as many mechanics as you can in the least playable ways. Also never leaving Early Access or leaving as a completely different game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The best worst ending was that one game where you play as a bird and fly around doing stuff and then the ending just has you kill some animals and then the game turns into pong. Just...pong.

I was enjoying this one game called cats are liquid, it was pretty much just someone who saw thomas was alone and decided to try to copy its aesthetic but with a blobby cat, and it was fun for a bit but then towards the end it got all stupid depressing like "maybe I'm never going to escape this, maybe I've doomed myself to never escape, maybe there is no way out, and now everything is being taken away from me and oh look some spikes are falling from the ceiling, I guess I'm dead now" and it's like...wtf

It was decent up until a certain point where the plot decided to make itself known and it actively undid any of the stuff I liked from before. Ugh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It was all a dream/in your head

This one's creeping into AAA and I'm very tired of it.

At least it hasn't quite reached the point it had in indie games for a while, where it seemed like every story-focused indie game with supernatural elements had an "actually it's all an allegory for <traumatic/emotional event> and none of it was real" ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't believe "no John you are the demons" has been around for over a decade as a parody of bad video game plot twists and it still continues to happen in stories that demand to be taken seriously.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

Those are AAA themes now, indies are now about mashing as many mechanics as you can in the least playable ways. Also never leaving Early Access or leaving as a completely different game.
Rule of Rose is still one of the very games that did the game was just in the protagonist's head ending totally right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually really liked it in Undertale tho

• Locked thread