Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ajkalan posted:

Is there something in the code that says "If you have 5 lovely traits and one good one, we'll cull the good one"? I swear that every time I lose a trait it's Brave or Ambitious.
It's harder to be good than bad

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I will vouch for the fan fork developers, they seem to be aware of not adding in just lots of stupid things for the sake of variety, and telling people in their thread to pipe down when they ask for the umpteenth for Celtic or Islam religions or 500 new cultures. I was worried at first about this happening, but so far it seems they are just trying to incorporate all of the new DLC content that hadn't been added when the original team retired.

The Jewish inclusion seems a little overzealous (I've seen rulers overnight just converting to Judaism, eh), but it is nice to see a small presence of them.

It never gets old to pull a William the Conqueror and become the Catholic King of Ohio by starting as a customized duke surrounded by Rust Cultists though.
I just thought it was the old "putting yourself in the mod" only more so.

It's still baffling that the Mormons literally have nothing other than Polygamy. Why do they even exist lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's worth putting up with their self aggrandizing thing to have a playable version of AtE

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Jedit posted:

Yep, I went through all of this just before Jade Dragon released. Except I also managed to take a horse as a concubine while still sane, because I'm not a bumbling amateur at this game.

Both times I got immortally, I was killed highlander style less then a year in the immortally. Second time I literally got the warning event like a week after I gained immortally.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
After the End is awesome and I'm attempting to become the true sausage king of Chicago.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I changed up from trying to get as powerful as possible to more restricted runs and I'm really digging it. Right now I'm playing where I can own Sardinia and Corsica but nothing outside of that and I'm working on putting my dynasty on as many thrones as possible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raserys posted:

It's worth putting up with their self aggrandizing thing to have a playable version of AtE

yeah as long as they dont get too wild with adding judaism and hinduism and stronk serbijca i can put up with some lack of focus

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So, I'm trying out Game of Thrones mod for the first time.

Rob married Jeyne, conquered Lanisport in quick order.
I used my smaller (6k) army to smash any Ironborn units that landed (in groups of 1k).
Rob declares war on the walkers. The wall falls.
Rob's spymaster does something I dont remember to piss me off, so I form a faction to fake his treason.
Rob dies at 21. His 4 year old son is named king.
Spymaster gets wind of what I'm up to, so I rush an assassination attempt.
I get found out, and labeled a cold hearted bastard.
Council names me Regent, and I fire the spymaster :v:

So now I'm Regent Bolton of the independent north. What can I do with this?

edit: Well, I declared the 5 yr old King incapable and hes under house arrest, Ive kidnapped him and put him in my dungeons, took all his minor titles and gave some to my son, hes my ward, and I'm trying to marry him matrilineally to one of my granddaughters.

So. Clearly, a lot :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 9, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I know this is typical for pre-1066 starts, but I still wish the AI was better at unifying Britain and Ireland. They've had over 200 years since game start. Maybe I'll conquer it all myself just to clean it up.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In my most recent games, Pictland ended up eating everything, then fracturing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ajkalan posted:

I know this is typical for pre-1066 starts, but I still wish the AI was better at unifying Britain and Ireland. They've had over 200 years since game start. Maybe I'll conquer it all myself just to clean it up.

I have seen the AI get around to it eventually, but yeah they are often very slow at it. This applies to most unification projects though. Even when the Charlemagne start hands AI Karl the HRE on a silver platter it still very often fails to form it before he croaks splits up the Francias forever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TTBF posted:

I would love to hear about how you did this.

Details on page 5 of my post history in this thread.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

A while ago, i did an ireland start. Normal unification of ireland, taking scotland, then england, wales, as per usual.

After a while i started intriguing and marrying to various noble houses. Cut to 200 years later, i'm emperor of britannia, i'm married to the queen of spain whose husband had strange, definitely non-stabbing related accidents.

My child will inherit both britannia and spain, and will rule. It takes a while, eventually the queen gets pregnant. At this point, the king of france croaks, and his titles, for some ungodly reason, fall to my wife.
The aforementioned son will inherit britannia, spain AND france. I'm gloating ad nauseam. So my wife gets pregnant, and so, this future magnificent god-king is about to be born. How should i call him ? Well clearly what everyone would do, is give him my own name so i can :smug: at seeing my name on a map.

He is born, so it is time for my wife to leave us. I kill her, he inherits, and is now king of spain. I go back to my affairs in Dublin to try and build for a stable realm with happy vassals to prepare the transition. 15 years later, i die, and it happens. I am king of everything.

And then i notice half the realm is in revolt. "King Neltharak the mad". Okay, i guess i'm a lunatic now, those are always fun. Then i take a look at my character. "Lunatic, Possessed, Slothful, Craven, Homosexual".

I got loving pwnd by crusader kings.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

(I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of those allegations)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The one time being in a monastic order really helps us when you’re trying to raise a god-king. You can instill a positive virtue in 1-day old baby (through osmosis, I guess), do it again when they turn 10, and once more when they turn twenty. You can also remove negative traits, though only once they come of age.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

That was before monks and mystics. I'll try it out in my next game though !

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Has anyone ever gotten a good trait from mystic healing? I've gotten stuff like cruel and paranoid, which I think is pretty funny, but I wonder if you had a mystic with like 20+ learning if you could get shrewd or something like that.

Another funny thing I had happen I hadn't seen before was I had a ruler who already was missing an eye from battle whose son decided to throw a rock at him when he wasn't looking. He tried to catch it and it knocked out his other eye. There was even a special message for it that said something like "ARGHH MY OTHER EYE! Why do you hate me God?!"

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I can't tell if this guy named his khaganate this because he is a champion of the peasantry or because he has absolutely no imagination.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ajkalan posted:

I can't tell if this guy named his khaganate this because he is a champion of the peasantry or because he has absolutely no imagination.

Can't It be both?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Has anyone ever gotten a good trait from mystic healing? I've gotten stuff like cruel and paranoid, which I think is pretty funny, but I wonder if you had a mystic with like 20+ learning if you could get shrewd or something like that.
I got some good traits from mystic healing, maybe even several of them at once. But I think I lost ambitious or similar trait.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the people with the mystic trait usually have lower learning than the actual renowned physicians when you search for a random one. It could be you're meant to build them up though those events you get with the trade off being worse results upon hiring but better in the end? There really isn't much info about that type of healing even on the wiki.

I had one game where I was my liege's physician and got the renowned physician trait. Too bad you can't be your own physician because that's a good one.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I understand it as an alternative to experimental treatments, instead of losing some organ, you are risking bad trait or that the physician commits suicide.

I could probably look into files and see what are the conditions, but I uninstalled the game recently.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

God Wills It! - Crusaders and catholics in general are getting a huge overhaul

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

This looks good.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Oh my that's nearly perfect.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
We will take Jerusalem!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Vengarr posted:

We will take Jerusalem!

I would say Deus vult but loving neo-nazi neck beards ruined it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This is magnificent.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Looks great and it’s a free feature!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Can't wait to see what the actual DLC feature is to go along with this.

Presumably it's very Catholic, playable Bishoprics?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My experience is that every time I play anyone east of France the Mongol Horde seems to beeline towards me. I know it is probably just a conscience, but come on!

Last time the Horde basically ignored everything in South, and went Rus-Lithuania-Poland-Bohemia (my core). I was playing the long con on making a kingdom of Bohemia, trying to make the Wendish empire a thing while lip-serving the HRE. I did join all of the relevant defense pacts but still the doomstack of 80k hosed every army anyone bothered to send to help me.

Also the game decided that the great plague is a great event to play after the Mongols have conquered everything.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
In After the End, has anyone had any luck making the Kingdom of Chicagoland (Northern Illinois, South Wisconsin, West Indiana)? Starting as the ruler of Chicago seems like suicide due to the Rust Worshipers in Michigan bobbing immediately. I've also tried Queen Amanda of middle Illinois but it's tough to make headway as her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, the real reason you join in a crusade is you want to put down the islamablob, making it safer to pilgrimage, expanding the pool of good catholic rulers, and providing easier middle eastern targets than the massive empires the muslims have. I've never really been in the position where I'd actually want to abandon whatever lands I was building up for a stint in Jerusalem.

Really what the crusade system needs is some way for rando nobles to join as adventurers, possibly grab their own little counties or duchies out of the deal. Maybe let crusaders raid and steal wealth as well, or throw some peasant mobs into the mix.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I don't really like the new After the End fork if only because it adds in more superflous crap instead of improving base (Hrrrrmm, where have I heard that before?) but they got Jews in as a thing again (but not Islam, weirdly enough)
I was always against adding Islam and Judaism in because I wanted everything to be derived from a major thing in the area and I didn't want to go all Lux Invicta with the religious map. The way the Fan Fork's added Judaism is all right enough, but it also highlights how tricky it is to balance having a small and scattered group that isn't either immediately overwhelmed or excessively overbuffed to compensate for all that.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly, the real reason you join in a crusade is you want to put down the islamablob, making it safer to pilgrimage, expanding the pool of good catholic rulers, and providing easier middle eastern targets than the massive empires the muslims have. I've never really been in the position where I'd actually want to abandon whatever lands I was building up for a stint in Jerusalem.

Really what the crusade system needs is some way for rando nobles to join as adventurers, possibly grab their own little counties or duchies out of the deal. Maybe let crusaders raid and steal wealth as well, or throw some peasant mobs into the mix.

They do say they're also adding some special crusades in the mix, so maybe we'll get the Peasant's Crusade?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Technowolf posted:

They do say they're also adding some special crusades in the mix, so maybe we'll get the Peasant's Crusade?

Children's Crusade. All sub-16 year old heirs with either Genius, Quick, Strong or at least two strong inheritance lines will be killed automatically.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Children's Crusade. All sub-16 year old heirs with either Genius, Quick, Strong or at least two strong inheritance lines will be killed automatically.

Isn't that already a feature? :rimshot:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

This is what I have been waiting for the longest time. Use piety to change the target of a Crusade? Oh yes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

In After the End, has anyone had any luck making the Kingdom of Chicagoland (Northern Illinois, South Wisconsin, West Indiana)? Starting as the ruler of Chicago seems like suicide due to the Rust Worshipers in Michigan bobbing immediately. I've also tried Queen Amanda of middle Illinois but it's tough to make headway as her.

you have to get lucky with a crusade because otherwise you're sticking your hand into the buzzing slugfest that is the great lakes thunderdome. chicagoland is hard as hell to create as a catholic. it just happened in my game because michigan blobbed under detroit, immediately fell to the consumerist uprising, then decided to attack hudsonia while the pope declared a crusade for chicago and landed queen amanda on the throne. which is great for me as gotham because now i get effortless holy wars to eat up hudsonia and the dutch king can't do poo poo about it nyaa

Ofaloaf posted:

I was always against adding Islam and Judaism in because I wanted everything to be derived from a major thing in the area and I didn't want to go all Lux Invicta with the religious map. The way the Fan Fork's added Judaism is all right enough, but it also highlights how tricky it is to balance having a small and scattered group that isn't either immediately overwhelmed or excessively overbuffed to compensate for all that.

yeah the implementation of judaism in the current fan fork 2.0 makes it even easier to snowball as gotham, because you can holy war and revoke titles from jews without real consequence

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

This rules and would be a perfect swan song for the game. Hopefully the DLC will have some cool poo poo like maybe a player playable Pope but I could see how that would kill the whole dynasty thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
This sounds good - somewhat similar to the old system Wiz devised for CK2+ back in the 1.x days (probably still the same system?)

Man I've been playing this on and off for 6 years now.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 15, 2018

• Locked thread