Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Daniel and Marty.

To Brian Herbert's credit they showed up in the last book Frank Herbert wrote but he didn't explain much about who they actually were. I think "these are the lead thinking machines from the past" was in Frank Herbert's notes. Granted Brian Herbert might have been lying about that one and made up his own bullshit to go on.

I thought they were supposed to be an advanced version of Face Dancers that had subsumed countless identities and become godlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

basic hitler posted:

I stopped in heretics shortly after teg thwarts some plot and discoverd the honored matres. the sex-weirdness was getting to me, even though i enjoy the plot otherwise, there's something deeply unpleasant about how the honored matres are written as well, so between young ghola duncan idaho and mind controlling pussies i'm just not into it.

Yeah it's getting into weird sex tones that sounded understandable from a weird space worm but not as much from 'regular' people. Also lol at Waff being on Rakis literally listening in himself to a secret conversation.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brian Herbert is lying about finding his father's notes for the next book
He said it so people would buy his own terrible books

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blood sugar sex magic

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

paul_soccer10 posted:

Brian Herbert is lying about finding his father's notes for the next book
He said it so people would buy his own terrible books

holy poo poo no way dude

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The original plot turns out to be an inter-spatial time orgy written like a first year philosophy book mated with a world religions textbook

Pure Dune

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Script of the Dune movie is apparently done

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

I stopped in heretics shortly after teg thwarts some plot and discoverd the honored matres. the sex-weirdness was getting to me, even though i enjoy the plot otherwise, there's something deeply unpleasant about how the honored matres are written as well, so between young ghola duncan idaho and mind controlling pussies i'm just not into it.

Authors sticking sex-weird poo poo where it isn't necessary is what keeps me from really enjoying Heinlein. Parents have a duty to sexually train their children, forsooth.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Authors sticking sex-weird poo poo where it isn't necessary is what keeps me from really enjoying Heinlein. Parents have a duty to sexually train their children, forsooth.

It's practically in the job description for science fiction authors past a certain age.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

frank herbert was absolutely just cranking his hog the whole time writing the last two books

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Arthur C Clarke was definitely a sex weirdo and I don’t want to know anything about his life in Sri Lanka lest it ruin all his books for me.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DON'T ban me for asking itt but has anyone read lords of light

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
get your rear end to dune

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

priznat posted:

Arthur C Clarke was definitely a sex weirdo and I don’t want to know anything about his life in Sri Lanka lest it ruin all his books for me.

He was gay but IIRC he moved to Sri Lanka for the scuba diving

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

paul_soccer10 posted:

I have. I remember it being fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's funny how both the Lynch adaptation and the 2000s SyFy miniseries are painfully bad in their own ways. While we all know the Lynch movie is a poorly-edited mess with too much head dialogue and some completely whack creative decisions, the miniseries just reeks of early-2000s TV-budget cornball: primitive CG, subpar acting and obviously-incomplete sets. I'm rewatching it now and I already want to turn it off ten minutes in.

I've got high hopes for the Villeneuve film(s), though - especially given a lot of the visuals in Blade Runner 2048 and Arrival. I trust that you nerds will keep me up-to-date on casting and other pre-production developments.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

IMDB trivia page: the movie Limitless came into existence initially as a joke by director Neil Burger; what if Bradley Cooper was addicted to spice and turned into a licensed Guild Navigator.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lynch movie is flawless

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dub e

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doob

Reefer Planet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dome

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The amber series is good. The first five are better than the last.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
read the entire thread, didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

dune owns.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

He was gay but IIRC he moved to Sri Lanka for the scuba diving

loving 8 year old boys isn't really refered to as "scuba diving" except in the worst circles.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arrakis.

Dune.

Desert planet.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

paul_soccer10 posted:

If you want weird Zelazny, try Creatures of Light and Darkness.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Instead of knife fighting why don't they just use like, mustard gas

or dune buggies. I mean even if they could only go 20, you could probably put spikes on there

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Instead of knife fighting why don't they just use like, mustard gas

or dune buggies. I mean even if they could only go 20, you could probably put spikes on there

Mustard gas gets the Landsraad mad at you if you're not super careful with it. And dune buggies are worm food.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't know how fast 6 centimeters a second is in normal person measurements of velocity (how slow you have to go to get through a shield) but I think it's probably less than a dune buggy moves.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

Mustard gas gets the Landsraad mad at you if you're not super careful with it. And dune buggies are worm food.

Fury Road and also there's sandworms

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
During the fight with Gurney, Paul notes the air in the sheild is getting stale. 6m/s is way less than the speed of molecular convection in a gas.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

During the fight with Gurney, Paul notes the air in the sheild is getting stale. 6m/s is way less than the speed of molecular convection in a gas.

The Baron's shield also protects him from the poison gas in the tooth.

e: That was a pretty poo poo plan, really.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
FYI Brian herbert and Kja are producers on the dune film

So it's gonna be a poo poo star wars style moneymaker, which is evident because that's the only way it'd get funding

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

being a producer doesn't always mean anything.

if they're smart they'll just let villeneuve make his dumb passion project version of dune and NOT pull some stupid loving nonsense

i'm gonna spam really lovely rude tweets @ brian herbert if he fucks this up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Communist Walrus posted:

Fury Road and also there's sandworms

I would buy multiple tickets for a Dune universe version of Fury Road.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Doob's.

Spice piled high.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

tight aspirations posted:

The Baron's shield also protects him from the poison gas in the tooth.

e: That was a pretty poo poo plan, really.

What do you expect from a guy who's specifically conditioned against being able to commit murder?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't know how fast 6 centimeters a second is in normal person measurements of velocity (how slow you have to go to get through a shield) but I think it's probably less than a dune buggy moves.

it's about 20% faster than the fall of a cherry blossom

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cyberpope v2 posted:

loving 8 year old boys isn't really refered to as "scuba diving" except in the worst circles.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Malcolm XML posted:

FYI Brian herbert and Kja are producers on the dune film

So it's gonna be a poo poo star wars style moneymaker, which is evident because that's the only way it'd get funding

Brian Herbert I can at least understand, he owns it, but what the gently caress is KJA doing?