Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/_TheBluntDoctor/status/994765803265363968

just needed a snipe

happy mothers day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Call your mothers she misses you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Call your mothers she misses you.

I wish I could. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Call your moms you dorks

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Call your moms you dorks

My mom and I have a lot of baggage and a hosed up relationship and I'm still thanking her for doing the best she knew how.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Done! For mother's day, I'm gonna pick up her cell phone bill by adding her to that T-Mobile military deal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I called my mom and got to see her taking care of my little niece. She's the daughter of my half sister through my mom and her 2nd husband the man that raised me. Nothing could make me happier other than my own children. Speaking of I'm gonna call the other mom in my life.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Breaking my rule.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/995680316458262533?s=19

TOO MANY JOBS IN CHINA LOST

also going to have pizza with mom today, been with her a lot this week after she got into a car accident (all good) :toot:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 13, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just sent this to my mom and said 'thanks for kicking me out of the house at 17 for 'not following Jesus'.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/03/politics/trump-prayer-rose-garden/index.html

My parents are pretty hosed up fundamentalists and all of us were mentally and sometimes physically abused. Of course this was what Christ willed, etc.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

I just sent this to my mom and said 'thanks for kicking me out of the house at 17 for 'not following Jesus'.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/03/politics/trump-prayer-rose-garden/index.html

My parents are pretty hosed up fundamentalists and all of us were mentally and sometimes physically abused. Of course this was what Christ willed, etc.

Good on you. If your parent(s) were genuinely abusive then you don’t owe them poo poo.

My mom has been massively brainpoisoned by right wing media since 2008 and she was abused as a child herself so we've had and sometimes continue to have a pretty strained relationship due to her behavior but she did a pretty good job of raising me and she loves me so I'm having lunch with her and dad today :)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Can’t wait to see how the base justifies this one.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

Making China great helps America, duh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Just look at the replies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FrozenVent posted:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Breaking my rule.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/995680316458262533?s=19

TOO MANY JOBS IN CHINA LOST

also going to have pizza with mom today, been with her a lot this week after she got into a car accident (all good) :toot:

It gets better:

The WSJ posted:

The ban stems from a 2017 settlement agreement with ZTE, in which ZTE pleaded guilty to evading sanctions on Iran and agreed to a $1.19 billion penalty.

As part of that agreement, ZTE agreed to reprimand a number of employees involved in the sanctions-busting scheme. However, the company failed to do so until well after it was supposed to, the Commerce Department said in the mid-April order. The department has also said ZTE admitted to making false statements to the government.

However, ZTE believes its missteps were due to process and human-resource failures that were self-corrected, and the company never deliberately sought to lie to the government, the person familiar with ZTE’s filings said.

At least two senior ZTE officials have been stripped of their roles in the last two months, two separate people familiar with the matter have said. They include the company’s chief compliance officer and his subsequent replacement, these people said.

There's a line of thought that the biggest winners of sanctions are the gray/black market dealers, since they get to add huge markups on their merch without having to worry about legal competition. Honestly wonder how much of the warhawk push towards scrapping JPCOA and reimposing sanctions has ties back to those that have gotten rich on trading with Iran behind the scenes.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My mom and grandmother and I are going to have dinner later in which I will get to hear about everything Trump is doing right and some scorching takes about immigrants.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My mom came over overnight with my niece so my brother could take his gf out in style to celebrate Mother’s Day.

Beautiful day out on the patio with the kid trying to wash the dog, a+ would have mom over again.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

sharknado slashfic posted:

My mom and grandmother and I are going to have dinner later in which I will get to hear about everything Trump is doing right and some scorching takes about immigrants.

Have some study material!

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/995625955950448640?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/995681590071185408

lmao

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What the ever living gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol at the two judges rebuking Mueller. Sure, judges can ask harsh and pointed questions before they reach a judgement, but in this case, both judges have a habit of doing so against the side the usually rule for and it's more to make sure they have their poo poo lined up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Call your moms you dorks

i didn't call mine

i turned up instead with breakfast stuff and painted a room for her

and apologised for being so snappy with her when she called me two days after i quit nicotine and was full on crazy
turns out she'd been worried as hell since the last time i was so short with her was when i was drinking
and the breakfast stuff was unneeded since she was about to take my grandmother for lunch, so i picked up the tab for that

:unsmith:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I’m in that stage of this presidency where I think this is so stupid that it’s awesome.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, there is an organization trying to erect a memorial to veterans of the GWOT. It's bizarre to me to erect a memorial to veterans of a war that is still ongoing. Per a 1986 act of Congress, 10 years must pass from the end of a war till the creation of a memorial to that war. This has been waived by the Congress and President Trump. The organization pushing for the memorial has a new leader, and he wants in built so that it will honor his grandson when he serves in the forever war. WTF?

I'm a 3 time deployer of the GWOT, 2xIraq, 1xAfghanistan, and I don't want a memorial to anything I've done. I've read criticisms of the Vietnam Memorial that feel it is disrespectful because it only honors the dead, but poo poo, they're the ones who really got hosed by the deal and have no further recourse. I don't want a memorial saying that Bush's war in Iraq was a good and just thing, and I really can't say that we're any closer to any kind of victory in Afghanistan. Perhaps a treadmill or a mobius strip would be appropriate?

https://www.stripes.com/news/new-leader-takes-over-effort-to-establish-global-war-on-terror-memorial-1.521339

Stars and Stripes posted:

“We think that it has the significance to warrant it,” Rodriguez said. “It’s a noble cause, a right cause, a just cause. The fact that the Global War on Terror affects every single person today is pretty profound.”

For Rodriguez, the mission is personal. During his 21 years with the Army, he deployed nine times. His wife, also an Army veteran, deployed six times, and his oldest son — who serves with the 82nd Airborne Division — just returned home from his first deployment to Afghanistan.

Rodriguez welcomed a new grandson in March and wondered whether he would someday fight in the War on Terror, too. In the past 17 years, more than 2.5 million Americans are estimated to have deployed in support of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“Holding my grandson, I had a moment. I was thinking about this memorial and thinking he could very well serve in this conflict,” Rodriguez said. “And that, for me, really strengthened my resolve.”

The Global War on Terror Memorial Foundation is hoping to raise between $40 million and $50 million for the memorial, which is expected to be completed in 2024. A design has yet to be determined.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That honestly reads like a parody. Reality is weird.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It sounds like they’re keeping it going because they want to fight the same stupid rear end war as their grandkids that they’ll never even meet.

That’s not how it works, assholes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol at the two judges rebuking Mueller. Sure, judges can ask harsh and pointed questions before they reach a judgement, but in this case, both judges have a habit of doing so against the side the usually rule for and it's more to make sure they have their poo poo lined up.

Also, counting that as a Trump accomplishment is absurd.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
An Eternal Burn Pit

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You know what amusing? How on point Harold and kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay is. This poo poo aged like fine wine

https://youtu.be/ihsem2vvnnM

https://youtu.be/UNlN8yqmVgM

It's like not even a parody. People like that are in the White house lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waroduce posted:

You know what amusing? How on point Harold and kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay is. This poo poo aged like fine wine

https://youtu.be/ihsem2vvnnM

https://youtu.be/UNlN8yqmVgM

It's like not even a parody. People like that are in the White house lmao

He'll be Stephen Miller in the movie for sure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Didn't a lot of people oppose the Vietnam Memorial at the time because they thought it might make people think that war is kind of bad maybe?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

How did you get this inside footage?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Didn't a lot of people oppose the Vietnam Memorial at the time because they thought it might make people think that war is kind of bad maybe?

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/24/opinion/insulting-vietnam-vets.html

Tom Carhartt posted:

By TOM CARHART
The article as it originally appeared.
View page in TimesMachine
, Page 001023 The New York Times Archives

Unless something unexpected happens, ground will soon be broken for the Vietnam veterans' memorial on the Mall here in Washington. Although I have long awaited this moment, as it now approaches I feel only pain.

I believe that the design selected for the memorial in an open competition is pointedly insulting to the sacrifices made for their country by all Vietnam veterans. By this will we be remembered: a black gash of shame and sorrow, hacked into the national visage that is the Mall.

When I arrived in Washington, in March 1980, I eagerly joined the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund as a volunteer. I had earned two Purple Hearts as an infantry platoon leader in Vietnam, and I was proud not only of my own service but also of all those who served with me. I was especially proud of those who gave their lives, and I saw this as the opportunity for our nation to finally render honor that was due. Congress agreed, and authorized the Fund to build a memorial on the Mall to ''recognize and honor'' all those who served in Vietnam. An open competition was held to decide the memorial design and 1,421 entries were received.

The winning design was chosen by a jury made up entirely of civilians - in other words, people who had seen no military service in Vietnam. While this may seem unimportant, we should reflect on it for a moment.

There were really two wars in that era: The first was a military war fought in Vietnam where 57,000 Americans died and whose veterans the Fund is authorized by Congress to ''recognize and honor''; the second was a political war waged here at home.
Continue reading the main story

The jurors know nothing of the real war in Vietnam - the television portrayal was far from adequate. But the political war cut so deeply through society that everyone had to take sides. The net result is that the design the jury chose as the winner was necessarily a function of their perception of the war they lived through in America. It may be that black walls sunk into a trench would be an appropriate statement of the political war in this country. But that is not the war whose veterans the Fund has been authorized to memorialize.

If this design is built, there will be a black wall 400 feet long, sunk 10 feet into the ground in the form of a V. The legs of this V will be directed toward, and form a triangle on the Mall with, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. These others are wellknown edifices of white marble rising in massive splendor to honor great Amerian heroes.

The proposed design is defended on artistic grounds, but the issue is not one of art: If Americans allow that black trench to be dug, future generations will understand clearly what America thought of its Vietnam veterans.

There are three other memorials in Washington that are at least partly black: the Sea Bee Memorial, the 101st Airborne Division memorial, and the Marine Corps' Iwo Jima memorial. But these show heroic figures rising in triumph on top of black pedestals, while the proposed Vietnam memorial is anti-heroic - a black hole, the reward we get, and the place we have been given in our national garden of history, for faithful service in a confused and misunderstood war. Black walls, the universal color of sorrow and dishonor. Hidden in a hole, as if in shame. Is this really how America would memorialize our offering?

It may be that, in the future, all memorials to American heroes will be black and underground. I doubt it, but even if that's true, why should we Vietnam veterans have to be the first?

The only underground memorial I know of is a tomb. Yes, we lost 57,000, but what of the millions of us who rendered honorable service and came home? Why can't we have something white and traditional and above ground?

I favor the marketplace approach to decisions of this importance to the whole nation. I believe - and I speak only for myself - that the Vietnam veterans memorial design should get the full and fair and open hearing it deserves and has not yet had.

President Reagan has called the nation's Vietnam experience a ''noble cause.'' I hope that he and the rest of America do not want us to be remembered by posterity in this way.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJhec-YZ6c

<3 Drunk History

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/RuJhec-YZ6c

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was cuz they was racist and the designer was asian

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Welp, I have a Huawei :rip:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ How is it you work for the auto industry and have a Chinese phone? I'd have thought they'd advise you to buy something not riddled with spyware. I expect a tighter ship run by you Germans.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

An Eternal Burn Pit

Duffelblog had an article a couple weeks ago calling for a burning wheelbarrow full of money as a memorial. That at the top of a burn pit heap would be perfect.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 13, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Holy gently caress
https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/995748230947397632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Called my mom because I knew the whole family would be together and I'm across the state, wished my mother and grandmother a happy Mother's Day, and for the first time, I got to say it to my sister completely honestly, which was really cool.

Also lol at those deal terms

• Locked thread