Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Someone had to drop out of our writers' slow mock.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
If anyone wants to take over the 11 spot and come discuss strategies and whether they will work this year, hit me up.
The team so far is Julio, Michael Thomas (drat this dude needs a nickname because I'm sick of typing his whole name), McKinnon, Guice, Cousins and Ertz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

Someone had to drop out of our writers' slow mock.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
If anyone wants to take over the 11 spot and come discuss strategies and whether they will work this year, hit me up.
The team so far is Julio, Michael Thomas (drat this dude needs a nickname because I'm sick of typing his whole name), McKinnon, Guice, Cousins and Ertz

No takers? I know a couple of you expressed regret on missing out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

No takers? I know a couple of you expressed regret on missing out.

Yeah it's been a great draft.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: Nvm

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 11, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So apparently Andrew Luck still isn’t throwing a football. I’m pretty sure I’m going to cut him in my dynasty league.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

So apparently Andrew Luck still isn’t throwing a football. I’m pretty sure I’m going to cut him in my dynasty league.

So long as he's on a team he should be on yours.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

That's (supposedly) intentional?

The rehab program calls for him to not throw a football until like...August?

He's throwing a weighted ball currently. God only knows how that compares.

And what beer said. Definitely don't drop him.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

He costs $13 in my salary cap league, and I already have Rivers, Goff, Keenum, and Bortles for like $2 a piece. Should I still let him burn a roster spot all season?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

RCarr posted:

He costs $13 in my salary cap league, and I already have Rivers, Goff, Keenum, and Bortles for like $2 a piece. Should I still let him burn a roster spot all season?

You can’t trade him? Or two of those other qb’s?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

Bortles is worthless. I would drop him before Luck. Unless this is a 2QB league I would be fine with Rivers and Goff, and if it is a 2QB league then Keenum would be a viable third.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

What is your cap? Do % of cap, not $.

If 2 QB and the cap is like $200, keep all those guys and trade one or two if you need roster spots. Definitely don't straight up cut Bortles even though he sucks in real life football, and don't cut Luck before exploring trades.

If it's 1 QB, I'm with Beer and would keep just Rivers and Goff.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bortles is worthless. I would drop him before Luck. Unless this is a 2QB league I would be fine with Rivers and Goff, and if it is a 2QB league then Keenum would be a viable third.

On the other hand, bortles is a low end fantasy QB1. regardless, I'd try to move 1-2 of the QB and not drop any.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zauper posted:

On the other hand, bortles is a low end fantasy QB1. regardless, I'd try to move 1-2 of the QB and not drop any.

He is?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

QB12 two seasons in a row, and better than that the season prior. He's not a good player, but he scores like a low end QB1.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zauper posted:

QB12 two seasons in a row, and better than that the season prior. He's not a good player, but he scores like a low end QB1.

Fair enough. I guess he's going to be in that place at least one more year.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fair enough. I guess he's going to be in that place at least one more year.

At least two. He signed a three year extension; if they cut him in 2019 he'd have 16.5M of dead cap. Only 5M if they cut him in 2020 though.

Depends a bit on league settings -- the more they favor rushing QBs over passing QBs, the 'better' bortles is as a fantasy QB.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gregg Rosenthal projected the starters for the AFC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931856/article/afc-north-projected-starters-browns-new-feel-joe-flaccos-test

Interesting early look. Lots of names that I don't know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

You can’t trade him? Or two of those other qb’s?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

sourdough posted:

What is your cap? Do % of cap, not $.

If 2 QB and the cap is like $200, keep all those guys and trade one or two if you need roster spots. Definitely don't straight up cut Bortles even though he sucks in real life football, and don't cut Luck before exploring trades.

If it's 1 QB, I'm with Beer and would keep just Rivers and Goff.

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX. It's a dynasty league with a 25 man roster with 3 IR slots. $250 salary cap. Player salaries increase by $1 or 10% each year (whichever is higher). Here's my roster, with this year's salary next to each.

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

As you can see, I'm way over the cap. I'm working on trading Evans($55) at the moment. I have a tentative deal to ship him out and receive Chris Thompson ($2) and Marquise Lee ($2). Regardless of that trade I need to make room on the roster if I want to draft any rookies or free agents.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

RCarr posted:

1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX. It's a dynasty league with a 25 man roster with 3 IR slots. $250 salary cap. Player salaries increase by $1 or 10% each year (whichever is higher). Here's my roster, with this year's salary next to each.

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

As you can see, I'm way over the cap. I'm working on trading Evans($55) at the moment. I have a tentative deal to ship him out and receive Chris Thompson ($2) and Marquise Lee ($2). Regardless of that trade I need to make room on the roster if I want to draft any rookies or free agents.

Please do not trade Evans for two pennies, unless there’s some nuance to the deal I am missing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Iirc he's been trying to ship Evans since the end of last season to get under cap. Might be the only offer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cervixalot posted:

Please do not trade Evans for two pennies, unless there’s some nuance to the deal I am missing.

the nuance is that Evans isn't worth 21% of the cap

Though I'd probably try and ship out some/all of the Crabtree/Benjamin/Robinson bloc instead

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

MacheteZombie posted:

Iirc he's been trying to ship Evans since the end of last season to get under cap. Might be the only offer.

This. Not a single person has any interest in Evans at his huge salary. I think the only reason I even have a chance at completing this trade as is, is because it's with a new owner who doesn't 100% completely have a grasp on the salary cap ramifications. It's either make this trade or outright drop him.

IcePhoenix posted:

Though I'd probably try and ship out some/all of the Crabtree/Benjamin/Robinson bloc instead

I thought about making room for Evans, but he will be $61 next year, and $67 the year after. I don't think it's worth it.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 14, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

I'd cut a lot of other guys before trading Evans for pennies, despite his salary. Unless I messed up, you're at $306. Cutting Bortles, Keenum, Luck, Darkwa, Crabtree, Benjamin, and Ebron gets you to $258. I'd also cut Chris Carson and Ty Montgomery, but you're so weak at RB that maybe you want to hold them (or at least Carson).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure gutting your depth is quite worth Evans for a year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sourdough posted:

I'd cut a lot of other guys before trading Evans for pennies, despite his salary. Unless I messed up, you're at $306. Cutting Bortles, Keenum, Luck, Darkwa, Crabtree, Benjamin, and Ebron gets you to $258. I'd also cut Chris Carson and Ty Montgomery, but you're so weak at RB that maybe you want to hold them (or at least Carson).

If I do this, I'd have to cut still more players, and also not be able to afford any rookies or free agents in this years draft. All for one year of Mike Evans. I don't see how it could be worth it. Even without Evans I still have by far the best WR corps in the league.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I'd move Evans for pennies. Then I'd look to sell Kelce high since you have Henry and Ebron (especially if it's not a TE premium league).

306 - 55 + 4 - 21 = 234 (not including what you get back for Kelce)

Then I'd cut or move (only for cheaper return): Keenum, Luck, Darkwa, TMonty, Conner (he isn't going to be the handcuff anyways), Benjamin, White, & Mitchell,

That gets you under cap so you can bid on RB's while maintaining a stacked team w/ depth.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
At that price, and with that WR depth, I'd move Evans for Thompson and Lee.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

QB
P. Rivers - 2
J. Goff - 3
B. Bortles - 2
C. Keenum - 2
A. Luck - 13
RB
M. Ingram - 11
D. Lewis - 2
O. Darkwa - 2
R. Burkhead - 4
T. Montgomery - 10
C. Carson - 2
J. Conner - 3
WR
A. Brown - 51
D. Hopkins - 26
D. Thomas - 21
M. Evans - 55
R. Anderson - 3
A. Jeffery - 21
M. Crabtree - 17
K. Benjamin - 10
D. Westbrook - 2
A. Robinson - 12
K. White - 2
M. Mitchell - 2
D. Funchess - 2
TE
T. Kelce - 21
H. Henry - 3
E. Ebron - 2

Is this PPR?

The cap increase means that the upper level for some of those WRs is just going to be unsustainable; frankly even Brown is getting up there. So here are my thoughts:

QB: Cut Keenum and Bortles. It's a 1QB league so sustaining more than three QBs isn't necessary, and neither Keenum nor Bortles have long term upside. Total savings: $4

RB: Cut Darkwa, Carson, and Conner. If this isn't PPR cut or move Montgomery. Assuming it's PPR, total savings is $7.

WR: Move Mike Evans for Chris Thompson and Marquise Lee. Lee is particularly interesting since he's the WR1 in Jacksonville and I'd like to think he at least has a solid floor that could make him a WR5. That alone will save you $51. I don't particularly see a need to keep Mitchell. Kevin White might be worth keeping at his price given his upside, and he'd be an easy cut next year. I would see what, if anything, I could get for Benjamin but I think he's a viable cut. Total savings here is $63.

TE: I like the idea of selling Travis Kelce. I think it's reasonable to think that Hunter Henry will be a solid pick, and I wouldn't cut Ebron given the lack of passing options in Indianapolis. So that's around $21 you'd save, minus a few bucks depending on who you pick up.

So now you're looking at $211, giving you $39 to play with free agency and rookies. That's really not a bad place to be and lets you focus your efforts on RBs. Something else to consider; maybe try to move Crabtree or Jeffery? Both are getting older and have some value now, but that will decrease in the future.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is this PPR?

The cap increase means that the upper level for some of those WRs is just going to be unsustainable; frankly even Brown is getting up there. So here are my thoughts:

QB: Cut Keenum and Bortles. It's a 1QB league so sustaining more than three QBs isn't necessary, and neither Keenum nor Bortles have long term upside. Total savings: $4

RB: Cut Darkwa, Carson, and Conner. If this isn't PPR cut or move Montgomery. Assuming it's PPR, total savings is $7.

WR: Move Mike Evans for Chris Thompson and Marquise Lee. Lee is particularly interesting since he's the WR1 in Jacksonville and I'd like to think he at least has a solid floor that could make him a WR5. That alone will save you $51. I don't particularly see a need to keep Mitchell. Kevin White might be worth keeping at his price given his upside, and he'd be an easy cut next year. I would see what, if anything, I could get for Benjamin but I think he's a viable cut. Total savings here is $63.

TE: I like the idea of selling Travis Kelce. I think it's reasonable to think that Hunter Henry will be a solid pick, and I wouldn't cut Ebron given the lack of passing options in Indianapolis. So that's around $21 you'd save, minus a few bucks depending on who you pick up.

So now you're looking at $211, giving you $39 to play with free agency and rookies. That's really not a bad place to be and lets you focus your efforts on RBs. Something else to consider; maybe try to move Crabtree or Jeffery? Both are getting older and have some value now, but that will decrease in the future.

It is PPR, yes. I agree with pretty much everything you are saying here. Thank you!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer and Alfalfa nailed this evaluation. Chris Thompson for Mike Evans is a huge get in PPR with your running back depth. Also, getting anything for Mike Evans is a huge get. :v:

For those of you advocating keeping Mike Evans, I will assume you are unfamiliar with dynasty salary cap leagues. Star players are nice, but depth is very important. It's not easy acquiring talent. You either get good players as a rookie or you pay for it in free agency. And like the NFL, free agency moves rarely work out.

Is your rookie draft an auction? If so, I might purge more contracts to try getting more running backs. This year is a good year to build up your running back depth.

If your positional contracts are locked in via a draft, trading guys to acquire draft capital is a solid strategy. Kelce and Benjamin might get you a really good pick. Get whatever you can get for people you might be cutting. An extra fourth rounder might net you the flexibility of trading up a couple spots to grab someone you really like.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Is your rookie draft an auction? If so, I might purge more contracts to try getting more running backs. This year is a good year to build up your running back depth.

If your positional contracts are locked in via a draft, trading guys to acquire draft capital is a solid strategy. Kelce and Benjamin might get you a really good pick. Get whatever you can get for people you might be cutting. An extra fourth rounder might net you the flexibility of trading up a couple spots to grab someone you really like.

It's the latter. Rookie contracts are based off of draft position. Pick 1-3 = $20, pick 4-6 = $18, and so on and so forth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RCarr posted:

It's the latter. Rookie contracts are based off of draft position. Pick 1-3 = $20, pick 4-6 = $18, and so on and so forth.

Can you trade for picks? Stocking up in the 2nd round on cheap guys might be a good strategy as well.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

What are your picks this year?

A first rounder for Kelce comes out as a bad trade for you, according to dynastyfftools trade calculator. I'm not sure I would hold out for too much more, but if you can get a first and a player or a 1st next year and second this year, that could be a real nice haul.

If you can position yourself to have two top eight picks this year, you will have some nice running back options.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you trade for picks? Stocking up in the 2nd round on cheap guys might be a good strategy as well.

Or this. The top 24 is loaded this year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes I can. 2nd round picks are $8 each, so if I can clear some cap space I can load up on a few.

My picks this year are: 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and two 7th's.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also don't be afraid to trade for 2nd/3rd year players (particularly WRs) who people might have soured on. Players like Davante Adams and Nelson Agholar took awhile to develop. Look for players who were drafted early in 2016 and have underperformed their position. Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, and Laquon Treadwell were 2016 first round picks. You could probably get Treadwell for nothing and Doctson would be cheap.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

Yes I can. 2nd round picks are $8 each, so if I can clear some cap space I can load up on a few.

My picks this year are: 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and two 7th's.

How doable is one top five pick? Or the guy with first overall. Because if I'm you, trading Kelce for Barkley is a potential home run.

If not that, the Michel, Penny, Chubb and Guice all could be solid consolation prizes. RB1 is a serious need.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I miiiight be able to trade Kelce for a guaranteed top 5 pick, no way I could get the #1 pick once the draft order is set though.

Edit: Talked to the owner who has three 1st rounders this year. He has the 8th overall pick, and two picks that will be randomly seeded in the 1-5 range.

He said he would give me the 8th overall pick for Kelce, but not one of the top 5 picks.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 14, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

I miiiight be able to trade Kelce for a guaranteed top 5 pick, no way I could get the #1 pick once the draft order is set though.

Edit: Talked to the owner who has three 1st rounders this year. He has the 8th overall pick, and two picks that will be randomly seeded in the 1-5 range.

He said he would give me the 8th overall pick for Kelce, but not one of the top 5 picks.

Can you get 1.08 plus later pick for Kelce?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Alfalfa posted:

Can you get 1.08 plus later pick for Kelce?

This. If you can get 1.08 plus a second/third, that's a decent return. You also get the added benefit of more cost control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are you sure that’s worth losing Kelce? I get that Henry and Ebron are decent options but Kelce is a virtual lock for top 2 TE and the drop off after Gronk and him is pretty huge, no? Also I feel like $21 is a good deal for him and he will be a good price for years to come.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 15, 2018