Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Rule of Rose is still one of the very games that did the game was just in the protagonist's head ending totally right.

SHame about playing Rule of Rose though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

SHame about playing Rule of Rose though
It's honestly not that bad because enemies are so easy to avoid. It's the boss fights and the game's slow pace that are more the issue. The combat is not good and it should have been an adventure game, but its tolerable enough to get through it so you can experience one of the saddest games of all time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad Rule of Rose exists because I sold my copy for £100

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Those are AAA themes now, indies are now about mashing as many mechanics as you can in the least playable ways. Also never leaving Early Access or leaving as a completely different game.
I thought AAA themes were now variations of "being a dad" justifying fascistic violence.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Someone a few days ago was asking about the giallo horror genre and if any games pulled it off. I was going to mention Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground but I never played either and didn't really know if they fit that description. I was hoping someone would talk about those games in general and what makes them special. I remember they both came out around the same time to mixed reception, but one is kind of a cult classic.

Fake edit, here's the original post:

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody here fans of giallo? What is your favorite game that you could describe as giallo?

Giallo is basically a sorta weird exploitation horror style of film and giallo games definitely exist (clock tower for snes and any other horror game by that dude counts) but they tend to...idk, it's weird. I was reading a conversation in the CineD horror thread about giallo and people described it as almost being like a stoner horror film. What would you say your favorite giallo game is, or at least name a game that you think can be described as giallo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh good there's another Smelter Demon in the dlc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I can't believe "no John you are the demons" has been around for over a decade as a parody of bad video game plot twists and it still continues to happen in stories that demand to be taken seriously.

That's because it's a deliberately pat and superficial statement of a storytelling trope that's existed since the dawn of time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is illbleed giallo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

Someone a few days ago was asking about the giallo horror genre and if any games pulled it off. I was going to mention Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground but I never played either and didn't really know if they fit that description. I was hoping someone would talk about those games in general and what makes them special. I remember they both came out around the same time to mixed reception, but one is kind of a cult classic.

Fake edit, here's the original post:

Siren kind of is, especially bc of its freaky PS2-era face capture aesthetic and all the cutscenes deliberately run at weirdo framerates. The narrative is also barely existent and meted out in a non-chronological order so the whole game just feels like an unstable nightmare.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GANDHITRON posted:

When it comes to gialli inspired games the original Clock Tower is the biggest example as it straight up cribs some stuff from Dario Argento's Phenomena; the protagonist named Jennifer who looks exactly like Jennifer Connelly, a murderous matriarch with her hideously deformed son as the villains, the protagonist has animals help her in the climax (Bugs in Phenomena and crows in Clock Tower)The later entries in the series started to move away from the gialli inspiration but Haunting Ground, originally planned to be Clock Tower 5, brought it back. It's definitely more on the sleazier side of the gialli inspiration though compared to the original Clock Tower.

Rule of Rose isn't giallo inspired though I feel, its much more subdued, unlike gialli which tended very stylistic and loud. The best movie comparison I can give to Rule of Rose is that it feels like the game Guillermo Del Toro would have made if he actually could, it feels very much like Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone in a lot of ways.

Funny enough Castlevania actually has gialli inspiration because Michiru Yamane took inspiration from Goblin in her soundtracks.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

were you open hand or closed hand

Closed. Water dragon was annoying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Once again I'm pussying out on a game on the final boss :sigh: Raam is frustrating as hell and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. The fight feels very much balanced around co-op play. All in all Gears of War has been a fun game but there's been real bullshit difficulty in places. Also my game seemed to cut out half of Act 5 which is really weird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Watch the end on youtube gamer honor is an illusion

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I wish I had time to play all those PS1/2 horror games, but even though I'm a lazy shut-in really cool guy that happens to have a lot of free time, it's taking me forever to finish Yakuza 6 and the next five games I have lined up.

Maybe I'll just watch Suspiria and get high off of morning glory seeds or something.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Lads, it does not matter how tempting it is, having 1L of off-brand chocolate milk for breakfast because it was on sale is not a good idea. Three trips so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pasteurization is a french conspiracy against the innocent creatures i affectionately call bowel buddies

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why do people say the DS2 DLC is the best part of the the game? So far Brume Tower has been a gigantic pain in the rear end including reusing one of the worst bosses from the main game and seemly deliberately making the boss runs an utter pain. Apart from Fume Knight who was actually pretty cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I forgot to bring it up but Hotline Miami 1 feels kind of like a giallo too, i.e, hyper violent, artistically loud, fever dream atmosphere, masked killer, focus on style over narrative cohesion, etc. It's not 1:1 at all, but there are some similarities.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Why do people say the DS2 DLC is the best part of the the game? So far Brume Tower has been a gigantic pain in the rear end including reusing one of the worst bosses from the main game and seemly deliberately making the boss runs an utter pain. Apart from Fume Knight who was actually pretty cool.

the "coop" areas suck rear end. the ones with the little gravestones out front. the gimmick was that even if you didn't have the dlc you could get summoned into them for free as like a dtrial of the dlc and theyre, across the board, the worst souls levels of all time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh is that what those weird grave stone things are about? Yeah they suck

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

is illbleed giallo

Extremely

Sakurazuka posted:

You're gonna love the co-op area from Ivory King lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember anyone saying that lol. The snow area is dope though and has my favorite boss fight. Brume Tower was definitely my least favorite if the three though yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

You're gonna love the co-op area from Ivory King lol

Yeah...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

I don't remember anyone saying that lol. The snow area is dope though and has my favorite boss fight. Brume Tower was definitely my least favorite if the three though yeah

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but the consensus from various Souls threads seemed to be that they were great, at least outside of the co op areas

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Happy Mother's Day who are your favorite videogame moms

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I forgot how loving bad everything about downloadable games on the ps3 was, how you had to have twice as much free space as games were big, how long it took to set up a background download, how long it took to install stuff. last gen was nuts man

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but the consensus from various Souls threads seemed to be that they were great, at least outside of the co op areas

The boss fights at least are top notch outside of the coop areas. I remember a lot of people complaining about Brume and the Sunken King area

I'm a weirdo who thinks the frozen outskirts owns though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what happens when you design a console without a feature that becomes obligatory a couple of years later

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's what happens when you design a console without a feature that becomes obligatory a couple of years later

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Happy Mother's Day or Happy Earthbound's Day as they say in the US

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Argue posted:

Kreia and Goatmom.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Frozen Wastes is such an amazing...thing lol

Argue posted:

Koudelka is a p cool mom

This character is also a cool mom but it is big endgame spoilers for shadow hearts covenant

https://i.imgur.com/iMPykD1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CjTGTRX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KVvbnrX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OHSsHQj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tnHeXDW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/E310sjJ.jpg

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I should be ashamed for forgetting Koudelka. Karin on the other hand is bad and that whole plot element is the only thing I hate in what otherwise is one of my all time favorite games.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Argue posted:

:love:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
We need more mom games

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goromi is the best mom

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Argue posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Argue posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I should be ashamed for forgetting Koudelka. Karin on the other hand is bad and that whole plot element is the only thing I hate in what otherwise is one of my all time favorite games.

I just like that bit from Covenant because of how you can go back to the first shadow hearts game and look at Yuri's mom's portrait and see that yeah they're pretty similar, though it's a shame she died like she did. On top of that, Yuri is half Russian and half Japanese, but with the revelation that Karin was faking the Russian stuff due to papers provided by Anastasia Romanov, it means that Yuri has been German/Japanese the whole time lol

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also I just remembered Kaine's grandma in Nier. She's rad.

• Locked thread