Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Neutrino posted:

Anyone want to buy a house land covered with lava?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1_ah/L...sell&view=owner

edit: This one seems to be right in the middle of what is now a spewing lava fissure.

"This home was designed to stand the test of time and of living in the tropics."

I hear that market is on fire! Hot deals to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The bedroom is perfect for steamy lovemaking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wanted to put in an offer, but the seller is requesting we waive the inspection. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Don't take this deal for granite*!

*because it's going to be basalt.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
<insert obligatory "this is fine.jpg" here>

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Splicer posted:

Gneiss!
:rock:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ripoff posted:

Are you pulling this from a newer digital multimeter with an auto-ranging display? If so, welcome to the land of capacitance and extremely sensitive electronics. Basically some other live wire in the area is emitting EMR and it's causing a "voltage" to apply to the line because your multimeter has such a high impedance on it that the line can't ground-out like with shittier, older multimeters. I'm not sure what the technical words are for this, but it was plaguing my lines around my house until I realized that the "voltage" is bullshit.

Strap an old-school crap-tacular MM on there and see what it reads.

It is indeed a modern, auto-ranging, very nice multimeter. I'll scrounge up an old one and see what happens.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

Holy schist!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

~Coxy posted:

That's one way to stop itinerants from sleeping on your nice new bench.

What if the itinerants are the ones sleeping up where the drains start?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pee in the drain when someone is sitting under it :evilbuddy:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

Pee in the drain when someone is sitting under it :evilbuddy:

That's only at the 1600 Pennsylvania one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Neutrino posted:

Anyone want to buy a house land covered with lava?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1_ah/L...sell&view=owner

edit: This one seems to be right in the middle of what is now a spewing lava fissure.

"This home was designed to stand the test of time and of living in the tropics."

The one just to the SW of the one you linked, listed for 289k is one that I'm fairly sure I saw in a video showing it burning as the back of the house was consumed by lava.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Splicer posted:

Rock on!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 12, 2018

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i'm going to need all of you to prove that you're actually dads, because if not there's no way you're licensed for these jokes and i will have to alert the crime police

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm going to need all of you to prove that you're actually dads, because if not there's no way you're licensed for these jokes and i will have to alert the crime police

Hello "going to need all of you to prove that you're actually dads, because if not there's no way you're licensed for these jokes and i will have to alert the crime police", I'm Dad.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello "going to need all of you to prove that you're actually dads, because if not there's no way you're licensed for these jokes and i will have to alert the crime police", I'm Dad.

O_O THE ULTIMATE DAD JOKE HAS BEEN UNLEASHED

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Neighbor got a new chandelier or sex swing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Projector maybe. In that they're projecting right into the flat above.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Neighbor got a new chandelier or sex swing?

When they’re not home, cut off the tips of the screws and grind slots into them.

One day when the neighbours are entertaining guests/entertaining the mistress/watching a horror film, take an electric driver and quickly drive all the screws out of your floor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

When they’re not home, cut off the tips of the screws and grind slots into them.

One day when the neighbours are entertaining guests/entertaining the mistress/watching a horror film, take an electric driver and quickly drive all the screws out of your floor.

That sounds like something out of a looney tunes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What the hell is that floor/ceiling made out of? Alternatively, what the hell kind of bolts did they use to secure whatever that is? IIRC floor joists are supposed to be at least, like, 2x8s, and then you have the ceiling, subfloor, and floor to punch through as well so you're looking at like a 10" lag bolt there. Honestly I'm kind of impressed they managed to keep the bolts pointing that straight.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What the hell is that floor/ceiling made out of? Alternatively, what the hell kind of bolts did they use to secure whatever that is? IIRC floor joists are supposed to be at least, like, 2x8s, and then you have the ceiling, subfloor, and floor to punch through as well so you're looking at like a 10" lag bolt there. Honestly I'm kind of impressed they managed to keep the bolts pointing that straight.

Take the ceiling away and you can easily hang poo poo between the joists from the subfloor itself. With that in mind, doesn't a junction box have holes in the back you could run screws through?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Still working my way through to the end of the thread, and it’s been amazing between hearing the voice of Ron Swanson 2.0 in my head as I read certain posts (joking aside, Motronic, I love your no-bullshit attitude) and finding out about the McMansion Hell blog.

The pimp house/compound from page 235 takes the loving cake. No handrails anywhere on the many curved/spiral marble (= slick) staircases that have sharp-edged stairs and fall onto...more marble? Maybe it’s because I somehow managed to slip on the stairs going down to the ground floor in my house this morning (carpeted stairs for some luck, and I was being careless/carrying an unbalanced load), but parties with hookers and blow? What sort of cleaning chemical gets out blood stains without discoloring marble? Because the pimp must have ordered that poo poo by the 55 gallon drum.

Not the worst house I’ve ever seen, as that would be Mike Tyson’s dream house. — Now being converted into a church! I grabbed the first GIS result that had some pix in the heyday; I’ve seen other sites that really get into the disturbing details. Example: the open bathroom, maybe 12’ square, with the toilet sitting dead center without any privacy walls. Just a throne in the throne room.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

there wolf posted:

Take the ceiling away and you can easily hang poo poo between the joists from the subfloor itself. With that in mind, doesn't a junction box have holes in the back you could run screws through?

Those look pretty damned girthy for a junction box.

Voting sex swing, although I'm with TooMuchAbstraction - that was, almost word-for-word, running through my head while processing that image.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

Those look pretty damned girthy for a junction box.

Voting sex swing, although I'm with TooMuchAbstraction - that was, almost word-for-word, running through my head while processing that image.

I'm sticking with whatever it was, it didn't go through the entire width of ceiling-joist-subfloor-floor. Maybe they just have a rustic aesthetic in their dungeon, all bare joists and tooled lather spanking horse.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nah, those bolts are coming up from an unfinished basement. The person putting them in picked a section between joists and screwed right into the subfloor. There was no 'ceiling' to get through, so to speak.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So definitely a sex swing, then.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like sex swings mostly hang from a single eye-bolt. It must be some other sex dungeon apparatus.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You want at least two, preferably four.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I’m betting it’s the top of a stripper pole.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was thinking stripper pole.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably. The "sex swing" people say it's an eye-bolt or two.

I've hung around the schedenfrue and crappy construction threads long enough to know that every single "stripper pole" in a home will be installed wrong.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The sex swing could be hanging from a tie-down ring like this:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Depends if your swing needs to be rated for 500 pounds amirite fellas.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GreenNight posted:

Depends if your swing needs to be rated for 500 pounds amirite fellas.
I mean, figuring in dynamic forces, I'd hope so. I have no intention of loving gently in my sex swing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And this is what I come to the crappy construction threat for.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Any sex furniture not built around a possible load of "gangbanging 400 lb bikers" is doomed to fail.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, you really don't want to unexpectedly spill your load during sex.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Crappy Construction Tales: Never Walk Under Your Wife When She's A Suspended Load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

You want at least two, preferably four.

Straps for the swing, yes. But looks like most models have a frame/bar that the swing itself hangs from, and that's what attaches to the eye bolt. Which makes sense because it'd give you more range of movement, and it'd be a much easier installation.