Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice stairs though.

Yeah, they're real warm in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Toasty toes.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

*ghost materializes on the insulated stairs*

Your son is attempting to bring in an outside party, Mister Grover. A building inspector. My own two girls told me that many outlets would set the house on fire. I...corrected them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
shockingly i am posting content

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article210449384.html

quote:

A key concrete support truss in the doomed Florida International University pedestrian bridge developed worrisome cracks 10 days before the structure was lifted into place over the Tamiami Trail, photographs and an internal email unintentionally released by the school show.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Just wanted to point out sound proofing for residential construction is simply unfaced insulation and soundproofing stairs, bedrooms, bathrooms, floors, etc. is fairly common. Of course you cover the soundproofing with drywall and risers.

Same with outlets both above and inside cabinets. As said above you don't need outlets every 4'-6', but if you have ceilings above 8' and/or LED lit drawers and cabinets --you need to power the lights from some where.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jesus Christ, who allowed that thing to be used.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus Christ, who allowed that thing to be used.

I think they are referring to him as “defendant”.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

More Christmas light outlets?

Are... are those *real* candles in the chandelier?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Looks like it.

So going to guess after a year or two of sun hitting them, they won't be up there anymore.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Baronjutter posted:

I'm lucky to have a single outlet in each room, more is better.

I'm doing some electric work in 2 apartments right now. There are over 25 outlets in the kitchens (250 square feet per kitchen maybe). At least 10 in each room. Also, 2 TV outlets per room, except for the biggest one, which is around 350 feet so you need 3!

Why does the kitchen have 3 (yes, three) dry walls behind each other, on top of a wood plank? Maybe load bearing? Maybe so it takes 4 times as long to drill a hole for the loving outlets? I'll never know.

Light is a fun thing too. I guess it's 3000 square feet, altogether. So I installed over 150 of those fuckers:

I'm jealous of the people moving in there, because no dimmers. What a comfortable light for the evening.

But wait, in one room someone wasted a thought on the lightning. And if a 10$ dimmer isn't it the budget, you just plan several circuits of spots that you can switch independently.

Sorry I don't have pictures, here are some bad drawings. On the wall you have the following:

Yes. Like this. Not next to each other. Oh, and either green or red is not a switch, but a button.

From top down, the lights in the room are controlled like this:

The whole place is a loving mess. But I have to wear white gloves while installing the ceiling spots. Oh, there's some kind of fingerprints on the ceiling? Yeah maybe when I had to redo 3 cables through the ceiling (with insulation in it already) because the fucktard who installed the cables had way different ideas where they should go and it took me and another guy over two hours to correct that we may have touched your loving ceiling without gloves.

My list also includes:

About 20 of those got installed to far apart or to close to each other. Really noticeable when there a 4 next to each other and awesome to install outlets in!

Wooden/Aluminum beams where ceiling spots were planned. I have to bring an aluminum hacksaw on Monday to install the remaining LED spots.

Wall tiles cut out to much so the metal frame from the outlets has no hold.

That's it for now, thanks for listening!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I didn't think it was too bad until you really got going. I'm so sorry.

ickna
May 19, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

I'm doing some electric work in 2 apartments right now. There are over 25 outlets in the kitchens (250 square feet per kitchen maybe). At least 10 in each room. Also, 2 TV outlets per room, except for the biggest one, which is around 350 feet so you need 3!

Why does the kitchen have 3 (yes, three) dry walls behind each other, on top of a wood plank? Maybe load bearing? Maybe so it takes 4 times as long to drill a hole for the loving outlets? I'll never know.

Light is a fun thing too. I guess it's 3000 square feet, altogether. So I installed over 150 of those fuckers:

I'm jealous of the people moving in there, because no dimmers. What a comfortable light for the evening.

But wait, in one room someone wasted a thought on the lightning. And if a 10$ dimmer isn't it the budget, you just plan several circuits of spots that you can switch independently.

Sorry I don't have pictures, here are some bad drawings. On the wall you have the following:

Yes. Like this. Not next to each other. Oh, and either green or red is not a switch, but a button.

The whole place is a loving mess. But I have to wear white gloves while installing the ceiling spots. Oh, there's some kind of fingerprints on the ceiling? Yeah maybe when I had to redo 3 cables through the ceiling (with insulation in it already) because the fucktard who installed the cables had way different ideas where they should go and it took me and another guy over two hours to correct that we may have touched your loving ceiling without gloves.

My list also includes:

About 20 of those got installed to far apart or to close to each other. Really noticeable when there a 4 next to each other and awesome to install outlets in!

Wooden/Aluminum beams where ceiling spots were planned. I have to bring an aluminum hacksaw on Monday to install the remaining LED spots.

Fuuuck everything about this. I hope they are paying you extremely well for this foolishness.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have that much bullshit in your ceiling and insist your contractors need to wear white gloves when touching the ceiling im going to go out on a limb here and say they are most likely dicks and you should do your absolute best to charge them the most possibly that you can without causing a problem for yourself

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RabbitWizard posted:

My list also includes:

While I get the desire for flexibility in electrical device placement, and even TV placement, that does seem a bit excessive.
Yay for having to deal with another contractor's inability to follow directions, too.

Also, your avatar is wondrous and mesmerizing.
:stare: :allears:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 9, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Proteus Jones posted:

Are... are those *real* candles in the chandelier?

christ, wish I could remember where I could find that paragraph someone in FYAD wrote about it, I just remember it began with the chandelier and ended with the cat bolting from the smoldering ruin of groverhaus with its tail on fire

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ickna posted:

Fuuuck everything about this. I hope they are paying you extremely well for this foolishness.

What? No! I'm just a low-paid "help" for a small (6 employees) company. I'm just annoyed by the poo poo the previous company did "preparing" for us.
I work as fast as I work, and I get paid what I get paid and I take a break if I need to. Yes I am mad if I need an hour to keep 4 outlets in place. But in the end, it's not my fault and yes, the customer will probably pay a lot which makes me happy (and my boss).
I made sure to document all the problems (and had my coworker look at the fuckups) so if there are complaints about the time I needed it won't be a problem. And I have a feeling it will come up....

Darchangel posted:

Also, your avatar is wondrous and mesmerizing.
:stare: :allears:
Enjoy the full version: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856299&pagenumber=4#post483905695

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not stalking down the exact model, but no, it's probably fake candles, there are normal electric chandeliers with pillar candles like that. Notice how similar the shapes are

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

My favorite, is the outlet that holds a steady 121v when the breaker is on. When I trip the breaker, it reads 20.1v. Completely steady. What the hell is back-feeding 20.1 v into that circuit? It isn't any device, I've unplugged them all. There is some sort of evil in the walls doing it.

Are you pulling this from a newer digital multimeter with an auto-ranging display? If so, welcome to the land of capacitance and extremely sensitive electronics. Basically some other live wire in the area is emitting EMR and it's causing a "voltage" to apply to the line because your multimeter has such a high impedance on it that the line can't ground-out like with shittier, older multimeters. I'm not sure what the technical words are for this, but it was plaguing my lines around my house until I realized that the "voltage" is bullshit.

Strap an old-school crap-tacular MM on there and see what it reads.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ripoff posted:

Are you pulling this from a newer digital multimeter with an auto-ranging display? If so, welcome to the land of capacitance and extremely sensitive electronics. Basically some other live wire in the area is emitting EMR and it's causing a "voltage" to apply to the line because your multimeter has such a high impedance on it that the line can't ground-out like with shittier, older multimeters. I'm not sure what the technical words are for this, but it was plaguing my lines around my house until I realized that the "voltage" is bullshit.

It's probably this. Fancier Fluke meters (and I assume other brands' nice ones) have a low impedance mode to get rid of these ghost voltages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RabbitWizard posted:

What? No! I'm just a low-paid "help" for a small (6 employees) company. I'm just annoyed by the poo poo the previous company did "preparing" for us.
I work as fast as I work, and I get paid what I get paid and I take a break if I need to. Yes I am mad if I need an hour to keep 4 outlets in place. But in the end, it's not my fault and yes, the customer will probably pay a lot which makes me happy (and my boss).
I made sure to document all the problems (and had my coworker look at the fuckups) so if there are complaints about the time I needed it won't be a problem. And I have a feeling it will come up....

Enjoy the full version: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856299&pagenumber=4#post483905695

Thanks!
It's like he's flying with his ears...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ripoff posted:

My lovely Simpson 260 is still my go-to for this exact reason. If I need a stupid fancy reading on something, I dig out my o-scope.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah, they're real warm in the winter.

http://fishmech.info/grovercraft.htm

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Dave posted:

I need to be able to plug in my air fryer from any location in the kitchen.

Better than my kitchen, which is a modern build but only has a single double-outlet on one side of the stove, and nothing on the other side or the island.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 10, 2018

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

*ghost materializes on the insulated stairs*

Your son is attempting to bring in an outside party, Mister Grover. A building inspector. My own two girls told me that many outlets would set the house on fire. I...corrected them.

:toot:

I spent the weekend trying to set a new fence panel and wound up hitting 5 different sections of sprinkler pipe. I only dug two holes, too.

The worst part is my house doesn't have sprinklers. There's no control box, no timers, nothing. Now I'm concerned if some line i nicked is still connected to the house somehow and I'm leaking water straight into the ground.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

NTSB, which is investigating the bridge collapse, has told FIU and the Florida Department of Transportation not to release records dated after Feb. 19, so there are no available public records to document any response from FIGG or other team members to Morales' memo. The Herald has sued to obtain subsequent records related to the bridge collapse. The bridge collapse is also the subject of a Miami-Dade police homicide investigation and families of some of the victims have filed lawsuits.

The Feb. 28 memo and the attached photos of cracking were released in error, an FIU attorney, Eric Isicoff, said Monday. After the Herald contacted FIU for comment on the cracks, Isicoff demanded reporters delete any copies of the documents from their computers.

"Any hard copies that have been made also should be destroyed," Isicoff wrote.

Ahahahaha no but seriously gently caress you.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Phanatic posted:

Ahahahaha no but seriously gently caress you.
The next two lines are even better:.

quote:

Mark Caramanica, an attorney at Thomas & LoCicero representing the Herald in its public records requests to FIU, said the Herald has no obligation to comply.

"The Herald has a First Amendment right to publish this information, and the public has a right to know what may have led to this terrible event," he said.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

People STILL haven't gotten that the "destroy any copies" bullshit doesn't work, like, ever?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This thread is doing the "click the last unread post button but it goes to the previous page because there are phantom posts" thing that happened to the forums a couple months ago. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Buff Skeleton posted:

People STILL haven't gotten that the "destroy any copies" bullshit doesn't work, like, ever?

It doesn't cost them anything to try, so what the hell, might as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It doesn't cost them anything to try, so what the hell, might as well.

The very best way to make sure people look more closely at something, hurriedly saying "Don't look!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Indolent Bastard posted:

The very best way to make sure people look more closely at something, hurriedly saying "Don't look!"
And yet, so many celebrities keep trying it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this case presumably the NTSB tries to keep info out of the press during an investigation to avoid investigators feeling pressure to reach some particular conclusion. Investigators need to be completely unbiased and objective in order to be most likely to produce good reports. It's understandable for the NTSB itself to try to suppress leaked info, although obviously when it's a high-profile case like this one, it's a futile gesture. Probably some NTSB director feels they have an obligation to try, regardless.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't bolted down...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hostile architecture strikes again

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

kid sinister posted:

Put it by a bike trail and in August there will be a line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

glynnenstein posted:

Put it by 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and in August there will be a line.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the guy who does freeman's mind did a video about his crappy apartment's construction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vA64sSdqM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kid sinister posted:

That's one way to stop itinerants from sleeping on your nice new bench.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Leperflesh posted:

Doorbell voltage? Doorbells are typically 8 to 24v, and there may be a step-down transformer somewhere on a normal line to convert to the 20.1 you're seeing.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/voltage-doorbells-work-on-68731.html

The house never had a doorbell. That was my father in laws guess too. If there's a transformer, it's buried in a wall and back-feeding from a different circuit. I'll have to just pop the breakers one at a time until I find the circuit that has the back feed into the wrong circuit and track it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone want to buy a house land covered with lava?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1_ah/L...sell&view=owner

edit: This one seems to be right in the middle of what is now a spewing lava fissure.

"This home was designed to stand the test of time and of living in the tropics."

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 11, 2018