Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

FranktheBank posted:

TL;DR - PoEb DZ is broken. So open world is the only way to get to Time.

The ability for DBG to break poo poo that worked like 15 years ago, and even worked just a year ago, never ceases to amaze me.

Made even better for the ability to leave it broken. And then to "fix" it, which just makes it more broken, then to never, ever hotfix poo poo that is killing player progression.

That being said - it's Agnarr, might as well leave it broken in the DZ. Gives people something to do....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

The ability for DBG to break poo poo that worked like 15 years ago, and even worked just a year ago, never ceases to amaze me.

Made even better for the ability to leave it broken. And then to "fix" it, which just makes it more broken, then to never, ever hotfix poo poo that is killing player progression.

That being said - it's Agnarr, might as well leave it broken in the DZ. Gives people something to do....

You should see the Vishimtar fight now on Phinny.

They didn’t fix illusions blocking Zi-Thulli/demi garg DT, but Druid skin blocking the tank debuff on Vish? Got that one on lock.

We were doing open COA/Yar’Lir/Vish on saturdays because it’s easy content and people can bag poo poo they missed or gear alts. Vish was such a huge pain in the dick for even overgeared raiders that we don’t even bother anymore.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

koreban posted:

You should see the Vishimtar fight now on Phinny.

They didn’t fix illusions blocking Zi-Thulli/demi garg DT, but Druid skin blocking the tank debuff on Vish? Got that one on lock.

We were doing open COA/Yar’Lir/Vish on saturdays because it’s easy content and people can bag poo poo they missed or gear alts. Vish was such a huge pain in the dick for even overgeared raiders that we don’t even bother anymore.

We did Vish the "right" way for a while, then we were using the Druid trick. But then PoR came out, and I don't think we've bothered with Vish / Yar'Lir since.

What's this illusion block? I'm always in some illusion (bard with 21 clicky item illusions!), and it still hits me some times. Does it have to be chanter or something?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

What's this illusion block? I'm always in some illusion (bard with 21 clicky item illusions!), and it still hits me some times. Does it have to be chanter or something?

Certain illusions work, others don’t. I don’t think there’s a clear delineation about it, mostly just trial and error to figure it out.

Most of our people use skelly sarnak. I know dark elf mask blocks, and the DB store ones work (I use male trushar) I don’t think “normal” masks work except for the pre-kunark DE.

Our chanters hit people with DE and it works.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Am I getting trolled that some guilds on Phinny see 2 bat waves on sang? Seems kind of absurd. Our splits do it with 30-35 and we don't even see out 2nd epic refresh let a long a second bat wave..

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just depends on DPS. We've had a few nights where DPS was light and wave one will end with like 5% left. Typically it's a one wave fight though.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
We had a two wave sang a couple weeks ago. Our split had almost all of the dps on boxes and it turned into a 7 hour slog all night.

It’s what happens when officers without good experience balancing splits take over for the evening.

Mostly we do it in 1.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

xZAOx posted:

I mean, has Rathe Council ever not been a buggy piece of poo poo randomly breaking for no reason?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Is there a place on agnarr to parse?

Like a mob I can auto attack for like an hour... or ten?

Also, where I can be attacked for an hour... or ten?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Test is best place. Turn off AA autogrant and zone then /testcopy

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tai posted:

Test is best place. Turn off AA autogrant and zone then /testcopy

Alright, then where to?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

FranktheBank posted:

Alright, then where to?

Go to the Arena zone via PoK and to the left of the arena entrance is an NPC you can talk to and spawn a training dummy of whatever level you choose. Run to somewhere you like and an NPC will spawn on you. Hail it to get options like freezing your buffs, healing you, whether it will fight back, etc. Then, parse away. Just be aware that there's no way to consistently get JUST the back of an NPC if they have to restore your mana or health. This makes parsing ranger shooting + casting more difficult to get optimal conditions.

I've never heard of anyone getting a warning or a ban for it, but people are dickheads and if they notice you using auto clickers, auto key press, or MQ2 to cast or use stuff that isn't built-in yet, they may report you.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Go to the Arena zone via PoK and to the left of the arena entrance is an NPC you can talk to and spawn a training dummy of whatever level you choose. Run to somewhere you like and an NPC will spawn on you. Hail it to get options like freezing your buffs, healing you, whether it will fight back, etc. Then, parse away. Just be aware that there's no way to consistently get JUST the back of an NPC if they have to restore your mana or health. This makes parsing ranger shooting + casting more difficult to get optimal conditions.

I've never heard of anyone getting a warning or a ban for it, but people are dickheads and if they notice you using auto clickers, auto key press, or MQ2 to cast or use stuff that isn't built-in yet, they may report you.

got it. lvl 80 mob is bashing my face in. probably gonna go for an hour.

I want to test +12% riposte vs 15ac.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

FranktheBank posted:

An hour is okay but you really want to let these things go over night, like 8+ hours minimum. Even with 60 minutes you might get spikes that'll skew things.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Which really just points out how much it doesn't matter in your typical fight, heh

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I ran it for like 2 hours today, but I died and i guess gamparse didnt pick it up or something.

Gonna try with a lvl 75 mob and leave it over night i guess.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Did they fix the rathe council for Agnarr yet? I read some thread on the official boards about trucidation and pitfall getting their poo poo stolen and it made me happy

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Solarin posted:

Did they fix the rathe council for Agnarr yet? I read some thread on the official boards about trucidation and pitfall getting their poo poo stolen and it made me happy

Nah. Prathun said May update which should be the 16th. Basically around 300-400 people formed up for Rathe; Pitfall, Truedicktastin, Addictions and some other folks. Pitfall and Truc joined up together, which is fitting because they are the 1-2 combo for shitbags on the server. They did most of the actual council event, then the last mezzed adds they did were pretty far away from Avatar of Earth, so Addictions got there first and (i think) had more mains in general.

I'm really torn on this because -technically- it is a triggered event and should have the same rules as usual. But the consequences have ranged from non-existent to suspension with no real consistency. If it fucks over Truc + Pitfall, it's probably a good thing.

On the one hand, Addictions is "flexing" pretty hard for not actually doing (probably) the hardest content in the game. While also trying to state that they were first to complete the other 3 EPs and admitting to wiping on Fennin Ro. On the other hand, Out of the 3 main guilds there, Addictions is by and far the least cancerous. Again, if it fucks over Truc + Pitfall, it's probably a good thing.

I really have 3 thoughts;

What I think should happen (If they wanted to follow their own actual rules)? All the PoEb flags are removed (as well as the Time gear attained after).

What I think should happen (from the "does it really matter" perspective)? Nothing.

What I think will happen? Nothing.

They have been inconsistent with rules up until now, so why start lol. Just make sure the fix goes through on Wednesday and everyone will forget about this.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 12, 2018

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

FranktheBank posted:

+12% Riposte mod. Always take mods over stat increases as they aren't hard/soft capped and will always add onto stats regardless.

Also Trucidation still isn't in Time, and that makes me laugh still.

Glad of it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

nawledgelambo posted:

+12% Riposte mod. Always take mods over stat increases as they aren't hard/soft capped and will always add onto stats regardless.

Also Trucidation still isn't in Time, and that makes me laugh still.

Glad of it.

That depends on how big of a plus the mod is. AC is always active though. It just depends how much of an increase a mod is but AC is still king ''most'' of the time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i cant believe prathun is still working on eq

dude must have zero ambition

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Tai posted:

That depends on how big of a plus the mod is. AC is always active though. It just depends how much of an increase a mod is but AC is still king ''most'' of the time.

Well, if your comparing a 80AC BP to a +12% Riposte/Dodge mod, yes, obviously - but getting to compare on something with a +/- 3 difference is going to be less than negligible.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone on phinny know of or have in their guild a maxed tailor that is also human? Or close to max.

Tai fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2018

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Hexel posted:

i cant believe prathun is still working on eq

dude must have zero ambition

I was always under the assumption that he can basically dictate his own salary because he's been there so long and who else wants to deal with that insane code base at this point? Churn out half a normal expansion every year, fix some fires, probably make pretty good money in the process. Half their stuff over the past few years has just been 'old zone but now looks nicer with more stuff in it' anyway.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Stanos posted:

I was always under the assumption that he can basically dictate his own salary because he's been there so long and who else wants to deal with that insane code base at this point? Churn out half a normal expansion every year, fix some fires, probably make pretty good money in the process. Half their stuff over the past few years has just been 'old zone but now looks nicer with more stuff in it' anyway.

I've always read that salary in game dev is relatively crappy. Can't really imagine he's sitting there like some Dennis from Jurassic Park, calling the shots and raking in multiple six figures, but that's just my assumption. It would be really interesting to know how many people have been keeping EQ going for the past 5 years or so.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

I've always read that salary in game dev is relatively crappy. Can't really imagine he's sitting there like some Dennis from Jurassic Park, calling the shots and raking in multiple six figures, but that's just my assumption. It would be really interesting to know how many people have been keeping EQ going for the past 5 years or so.

It is at most companies. Bigger studios can keep people on board, but contract work is high in a lot of studios.

As far as Prathun - DBG, since it became DBG that is, mostly has laid off people that had high salaries. I suspect Prathun is someone that just really enjoys working on EQ as is content with his salary, and it's probably keeping him off the chopping block.

I could be totally wrong, but I'd be he's at like $60-70k or something and just chilling there. Not everyone is interested in constantly chasing more money.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

It is at most companies. Bigger studios can keep people on board, but contract work is high in a lot of studios.

As far as Prathun - DBG, since it became DBG that is, mostly has laid off people that had high salaries. I suspect Prathun is someone that just really enjoys working on EQ as is content with his salary, and it's probably keeping him off the chopping block.

I could be totally wrong, but I'd be he's at like $60-70k or something and just chilling there. Not everyone is interested in constantly chasing more money.

Can you even live in San Diego on 60-70K?

I'd imagine he's not six figures, but probably in the 90s range.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Hoohah posted:

Also had the same initial reaction to that salary range for SD. I won't speculate what he's at, but I'm very happy to voice my huge doubts that a programmer with experience in a major CA city is paid below 6 figures.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Good point, I was thinking salaries in my area. Translate that to mid-level pay for the proper area.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

gepgepgep posted:

Also had the same initial reaction to that salary range for SD. I won't speculate what he's at, but I'm very happy to voice my huge doubts that a programmer with experience in a major CA city is paid below 6 figures.

I hear quite a few at blizzard aren't paid in six figures, and Irvine is even more expensive than SD.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Hoohah posted:

I hear quite a few at blizzard aren't paid in six figures, and Irvine is even more expensive than SD.

That’s interesting because I’ve always heard that Blizzard Devs were paid quite handsomely. This was from a few guys I went to school with in Long Beach who worked at Blizz as WoW GMs while going to college so it may or may not be actually true.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
As a former resident of San Diego (moved out Nov 2016) 60-75k is doable if you are renting in a sorta shittier area or if you have a roommate / spouse that is also working for a better area.
The studio moved from San Diego to uh basically a suburb 10 miles north which I forget the name of atm (drunk) but its doable, but would def be harder if you wanted to own a house.
Also you nerds should stop playing EQ and find something else while it festers.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
But I am having tons of fun in PoP... why should I stop playing?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
As someone who played in 1999, off-and-on through PoP, and played off-and-on on P99 in Vanilla and Kunark - Phinny is, by far, my favorite EQ experience. Hell, my favorite MMO experience. I've never stuck with a MMO this long without a break.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Took a run at OW Rathe. Like 5min after entering, Trucidation zoned in and watched us do the event. The didn't interfere, but i'm sure they woulda raced Avatar.

We wiped, but just BARELY. It was an awesome first attempt with a bunch of folks who have never done PoP, let alone Rathe. Learned a crapton. Thursday will be np (as long as patch happens on tomorrow).

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

You for sure won’t own a house but I’m in the 60s range in SD. Granted I’m hourly and work a lot of OT.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
So, after the stuff yesterday the game keeps crashing when I try to connect to a server. Tried toggling windowed mode like some suggested but nothing's working. Any ideas?

I'm on Windows 7, apparently there was some kind of fix for Vista that's cocking things up for 7?

Verbose fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2018

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Vista is no longer supported to run eq. 7 should be fine.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Not only am I dumb enough to be playing again (on Agnarr) but I'm currently camping Raster for the 4th time in my life. Every 24 minutes I get a 5% chance at that endorphin shot I'm desperately craving.

Edit: He spawned!

Republicans fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Grats on endorphins