Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

paradox aren't fools. they know what the market wants.

it's gonna be a fully online grand strategy battle royale but also about the emotional journey of fatherhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Prav posted:

paradox aren't fools. they know what the market wants.

it's gonna be a fully online grand strategy battle royale but also about the emotional journey of fatherhood.

So it’s CKII with parachutes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Hearts of Iron 5.

Finally, with systemic ethnic cleansing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I read that as "synthetic" ethnic cleansing, but realized you can already do that in Stellaris.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I read that as "synthetic" ethnic cleansing, but realized you can already do that in Stellaris.

ew, I need my ethnic cleansing to be 100% organic, thanks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
does title imply a game or can it include DLC

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does title imply a game or can it include DLC

It's a separate dev team headed by Johan which heavily implies a new game, and the fact that they are making this big a deal of it confirms it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
All the clues point to Victoria's secret

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I never played Vicky 2, but I have been listening to Mike Duncan's revolutions podcast and now I'm rooting for Vicky 3. I want to play as a radical second republic spreading republicanism to the rest of Europe.

So give me insane economics and Hoi style trees for social and political matters.

What would rome2 have other then just being a map painter? We already have total war Rome for that experience.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've never played it, but apparently according to those who have, there was a pretty interesting internal political simulation in Rome, with the Senate, similar to a kind of proto CKII-with-Conclave-DLC.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrSunshine posted:

I've never played it, but apparently according to those who have, there was a pretty interesting internal political simulation in Rome, with the Senate, similar to a kind of proto CKII-with-Conclave-DLC.

The trick is to use a forum of goons as your political simulator

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I never played Vicky 2, but I have been listening to Mike Duncan's revolutions podcast and now I'm rooting for Vicky 3. I want to play as a radical second republic spreading republicanism to the rest of Europe.

So give me insane economics and Hoi style trees for social and political matters.

What would rome2 have other then just being a map painter? We already have total war Rome for that experience.

i want vicky 2 to not only have inaccurate economics, but it want it to have multiple economic systems that are contradictory to each other and are chosen at the start of the game to simulate not knowing anything about economics

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Agean90 posted:

i want vicky 2 to not only have inaccurate economics, but it want it to have multiple economic systems that are contradictory to each other and are chosen at the start of the game to simulate not knowing anything about economics

the more you research down the financial line the more details you uncover about one of the systems. but not necessarily the one your current game is running.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Prav posted:

the more you research down the financial line the more details you uncover about one of the systems. but not necessarily the one your current game is running.

my man

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Demon_Corsair posted:

Well, there's obviously the setting,which some people would be really into just for that alone.

Beyond that, EU: Rome's unique point was that you played the spirit of a nation, like EU, but you needed to actually implement your will through individual characters with their own agendas, like CK. It was an interesting idea that did sometimes produce neat gameplay, but it was also absolutely an uneasy alliance - from an EU perspective trying to get poo poo done while having to wriggle your way through sometimes arbitrary internal politics could be kinda frustrating (especially if you were playing as a barbarian nation fronting Rome and absolutely NEEDED to do things right to stand a fighting chance), while from a CK2 perspective the characters were too limited to be particularly interesting. I feel like if they made Rome 2, they need to have a very serious rethink about what exactly they want the game to be and get ready to cut things out and reorganize them with a very large knife indeed.

Personally, I'd probably lean harder towards the CK influences than the EU influences. Ancient history is pretty often the story of petty political shitfights between elites, and playing a patrician dynasty jockeying for supremacy has a more unique appeal than, as you say, map painting. CK2 can focus more on the feudalism side of character-driven gameplay, while Rome can focus more on functioning within an organized government structure.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Rome: You play an Important Imperial Person. The Empire more or less runs itself with or without you, but you should probably do your job. Your goal is to get the largest possible slice of the pie.
Wait a minute, this is just CK2.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't actually want "Rome 2," I want a game set in antiquity but with the level of detail and attention that Paradox gives their games (without the rough edges and weird design decisions of e.g. that EU4 mod). Total War games are great for their own reasons but aren't really comparable.

e: that said I wouldn't be opposed to Rome: Done Right Edition. Someone in one of these threads talked the other day about how CK2 fundamentally clicks on a political level better than EU4 because your interests as a dude can be diametrically opposed to the interests of your nation and still be the correct choices for you as a player. Something like that does sound pretty cool, and I agree with Tomn about getting a CK2-like with different mechanics being cool although I wonder if that'd tread on the toes of a hypothetical CK3 that actually tries to do e.g. China correctly.

Incidentally, "Rome 2" or whatever it'll be had better include China this time.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 13, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Rome: You play an Important Imperial Person. The Empire more or less runs itself with or without you, but you should probably do your job. Your goal is to get the largest possible slice of the pie.
Wait a minute, this is just CK2.

Like I said: If they make Rome 2 they REALLY need to sit down and think about what will make this special. The best I can come up with off the top of my head is create a CK-style character-driven game, but without the central idea of landed nobility running everything. Give you more scope for poo poo like patricians fighting to be assigned a governorship in a rich, newly-conquered province so you can loot it of all it's worth and bring that money back to Rome in order to agitate for command of one of the new legions invading another area so that you can win the military laurels you need to have a real shot at the consulship, which you may or may not be secretly intending to turn into a principate.

Or alternatively, for things like becoming a successful Athenian general but losing one major battle and getting ostracized so that you end up drifting to another country as a mercenary to try and lobby them to attack your home town and put you in charge of it.

Just spitballing here, though. Whatever form a new Rome game takes it can't really "evolve" on EU Rome, it needs to come up with a total rethink.

Koramei posted:

Someone in one of these threads talked the other day about how CK2 fundamentally clicks on a political level better than EU4 because your interests as a dude can be diametrically opposed to the interests of your nation and still be the correct choices for you as a player.

That would be me, as it happens. :)

Edit:

Actually, you know what would be a REALLY cool idea? Divine Kings: CK2, but playing as ancient deities/demigods squabbling for control and influence over humanity for your own purposes.

Zeus has obviously taken the seduction focus.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 13, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

EU has the Major Problem that all there is for you to do is go to war until you have grown so far that you ragequit when a hellwar coincides with ginormous rebellions on three different continents. Just creating a situation where it is not in the player character's interest to have a war because that means that the army confiscates all his horses and then he can't get in his harvest and pay his gambling debts or whatever would be progress. Rn it's just go to war, run on max speed until AE is down / manpower is back up, repeat. Lemme every now and then get a king who prefers to pick out chandeliers at his palace or whatever to conquesting, and make that fun. Idk, replace the in-game menu with a lil animated capital that I put some captured battle flags and guns inside of, dynamic architecture style reacting to when I capture a province with lots of marble or whatever, procedurally generated coats of arms and paintings. When I wanna do something with the military I click on the barracks etc. Just lemme roleplay Potemkin beyond click button, development go up.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

Actually, you know what would be a REALLY cool idea? Divine Kings: CK2, but playing as ancient deities/demigods squabbling for control and influence over humanity for your own purposes.

Zeus has obviously taken the seduction focus.

Paradox has done well in historical and sci-fi grand strategy games, now they should do a fantasy grand strategy in the vein of ck2.

"The gods compelled your wife to bed a bull, and now she is pregnant with a half-man half-bull monster! What shall we do with the child?"

"Build a great labyrinth to house the beast after it is born, and toss it food and virginal maidens" (unlocks minotaur warriors in 5 years, chance of feral minotaur rebellion)

"Disown him, but raise him like any other child"

"This is a divine miracle! This child brought into being by the will of the gods shall be my heir!"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Prav posted:

Nah it will actually be about researching new ways of taxation, starting from tariffs to income and all the way down into wealth taxes.

And then you have to fight to keep the libertarian party/coalition from dismantling your tax reforms. :unsmigghh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think they should do something more like the RPG based Romance of the Three Kingdom games. Setting immaterial.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Paradox has done well in historical and sci-fi grand strategy games, now they should do a fantasy grand strategy in the vein of ck2.

"The gods compelled your wife to bed a bull, and now she is pregnant with a half-man half-bull monster! What shall we do with the child?"

"Build a great labyrinth to house the beast after it is born, and toss it food and virginal maidens" (unlocks minotaur warriors in 5 years, chance of feral minotaur rebellion)

"Disown him, but raise him like any other child"

"This is a divine miracle! This child brought into being by the will of the gods shall be my heir!"

KoDP meets CK2, I can dig it!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Paradox is partnering with Koei to enter the Musou genre with Hearts of Iron Warriors.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
HoI V: This time the purge event choices say "Stalin did nothing wrong" rather than just imply it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

sheep-dodger posted:

KoDP meets CK2, I can dig it!

Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass would be an absolute blast. If Paradox are going to do another non-historical game I hope it's something along these lines.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RabidWeasel posted:

Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass would be an absolute blast. If Paradox are going to do another non-historical game I hope it's something along these lines.

Dynastic shenanigans with mythological/supernatural creatures and the resulting half-whatevers is a real cool idea.

A lusty king has a roll in the hay with a scullery maid... and it turns out its really a kikimora, and shes pregnant. Hope you like high stewardship kids who are compelled to wear butler/maid outfits!

Or the rose bush your king hosed when he was a lunatic due to a curse has given birth to a beautiful rose prince, come to claim his birthright.

Your genius queen has taken up weaving, and she gets so good a god challenges them to a contest.

Unfortunately she gets turned into a giant spider afterwards due to weaving something offensive to the god.

Luckily your husband has the 'bestiality' and 'loves horror' traits, so everything dosent immediately go to poo poo, and you pop out a bunch of half-human, half-spider kids

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

They should just bring back Runemaster

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would love to see a MOM to Stellaris's MOO.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Forgot that they were announcing a new game. Don't really know what I'd be most excited for, but I think a classical + late antiquity deal would be most interesting to me.

And here I was seriously considering starting up a mega-LP where I start out as Epirus in EU:Rome using Wiz's RotA mod...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

They should just bring back Runemaster

I really want to know what that game was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Latest hint is game is "easy to spell"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I swear to God if it's Magicka I'm going to riot.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Rome is four letters.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The much awaited sequel to vvvvvv, abababa, where you play as a '70s pop group and have to navigate treacherous musical egos, backstabbing and affairs.

Also spiky platforming. Somehow.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Sounds like a good game jam project.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Turns out it was a bluff. It's hard to spell.

Specifically it's Barbarossa: Groogy's Adventures in Tank Usage and Soviet Landscapes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

The much awaited sequel to vvvvvv, abababa, where you play as a '70s pop group and have to navigate treacherous musical egos, backstabbing and affairs.

Also spiky platforming. Somehow.

Playstation 4 posted:

Specifically it's Barbarossa: Groogy's Adventures in Tank Usage and Soviet Landscapes

I would play both these things

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

algebra testes posted:

Ur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Playstation 4 posted:

BaGrATUSoL isn't a good acronym, needs to be BAGRATION.
So it's going to be called Barbarossa: Groogy's Adventures in Tank Identification, Operation and Naming.