Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Stealing this from the data science thread:

https://eagereyes.org/blog/2018/seven-visualization-talks-that-terrified-me-at-chi

quote:

This was a talk by the ex-CEO of the dating website OKCupid, who talked about the data that he had gathered as part of engineering his site (it seemed to be mostly taken from his work from his blog and his 2015 book Dataclysm). This was a rather tone deaf talk (at least two people on twitter described it as a “garbage fire”) which had a lot of good examples of what not to do if you’re talking about sensitive issues like gender and sexism and dating and engineering big social platforms. For instance, don’t refer to “guys” vs. “females,” really consider if you need a slide with a picture of a woman in a bikini in it, and maybe have a better answer when pressed about ethics than to say “what do you mean, ‘ethics?’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Munkeymon posted:

he's killing it in that character but I like that they're giving Nanjiani more room this season

Nanjiani's character is most of why I stopped watching the show. He's a protagonist, why does anyone think "watch this guy fail again due to his own bad choices" is a good joke.

edit: \/\/ -- :fire:

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 13, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

Nanjiani's character is most of why I stopped watching the show. He's a protagonist, why does anyone think "watch this guy fail again due to his own bad choices" is a good joke.

I mean, we keep reading your posts don't we?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

techbubble 4.52: what do you mean, 'ethics'?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

haveblue posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tesla finishes what they started, designs an undrivable roadster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s nice that they included two “oh poo poo” handles for the occupant of the left front seat to hold onto.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

techbubble 4.52b: what do you mean, 'ethics'?

E: the b is for boo-tay.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is a pro click btw.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

l ron musk just lost his lead technical contact to waymo

probably unrelated to picking a fight with the NTSB

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

tesla finishes what they started, designs an undrivable roadster

why do these dorks always have such a hard on for those airplane steerers in autos

I love twisting my arms like a donut!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lancemantis posted:

why do these dorks always have such a hard on for those airplane steerers in autos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VlRnRPk9k

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol. had a hunch before i even clicked.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

lol. had a hunch before i even clicked.

You had a hunch about what? The act of posting that video answers the question (both from the title and the pre-play still), making the playing of it secondary (or at least superfluous to answering the question).

Are... are you having a stroke? :ohdear:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys, guess what, turns out unlicensed flophouses run by god knows who don't bother with silly things like "meeting fire safety standards". whoever could have foreseen this?

no one, probably.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress me, it's almost like the reason we had all those onerous licensing regulations and inspections was because people don't give a gently caress about safety otherwise.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Can confirm that the Mustard Museum is a must-see.

Man On Internet Almost Falls Into World Of DIY Mustard Enthusiasts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

You had a hunch about what? The act of posting that video answers the question (both from the title and the pre-play still), making the playing of it secondary (or at least superfluous to answering the question).

Are... are you having a stroke? :ohdear:

Yes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

brb. think my toast is burning. funny, don’t remember starting any...

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

haveblue posted:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Well, I'm literally in Wisconsin. It's go there or go to Chicago again?

I'm comfortable in my choices, is what I'm saying here.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

https://youtu.be/6YUKHBjJGCI

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

infernal machines posted:

this is a pro click btw.

It generally seems to be a pretty good site and the author has a correct opinion on poutine.

quote:

I think the human body is not meant to eat poutine more than once a month, at most.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Media Bloodbath posted:

It generally seems to be a pretty good site and the author has a correct opinion on poutine.
true. only the québécois, the acadiens and the denizens of the garden state possess the gi fortitude to process it effectively

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

it’s nice that they included two “oh poo poo” handles for the occupant of the left front seat to hold onto.

the 540 has a driver ohshit handle. Mark of a fast car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

Maybe it only turns 90 degrees in each direction, like an airplane yoke

Better develop some real fine-grained motor control

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the 540 has a driver ohshit handle. Mark of a fast car

Oh is that a fact

135hp baby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you like you may be either the hand-cranked windows or the brochure for the Spam Museum of Minnesota

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i could literally see this happening to me some day lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

my favorite mustard is english mustard but i also like brown and yellow.

room for allmustards at my table. :getin:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
gently caress I’m in a bar drunk and I’m like a block from the mustard museum, this may end expensively

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that guy is an rear end in a top hat

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/odavis_/status/990925056816672768?s=19

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

lol my friends were the only ones who actually were living full-time in their 7-unit apartment building in Flatbush, every other apartment was AirBnBs.

After the building owner got desperate for income during winter when occupancy rates dropped, they changed it to instant-bookings with no security deposit. The units were of course immediately filled with people throwing parties so after 4 straight nights of that bullshit my friends called the city Finance Department.

Building owner was fined over $10k for each unit he was AirBnB-ing out, and shockingly none of the units had CO detectors in them, and the basement apartment wasn't actually on the Certificate of Occupancy so the owner's brother living there was evicted by the city, and at the end of the day they had over $100k in fines.
Owner then had the balls to knock on my friends' door with some goons standing behind him and asked them to leave a month before their lease was up, and the response was "yeah cool we can do that, we can also call my lawyer and get a breach of contract lawsuit started and also conference-call the City Finance department in where we let them know about the other code violations we have documented. Or just leave us be and inspect the apartment on the date we previously established"

He then proceeded to let the city know about the violations anyways on his move-out day, and they wound up hitting the owner with another $50k in fines.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

with them calling it "private room" with a bunk bed, I'm surprised they don't have that Chinese cage-bed-room thing going on

also im the landlord that claims to have built quantum computers and treats Lyme disease with bee stings

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol my friends were the only ones who actually were living full-time in their 7-unit apartment building in Flatbush, every other apartment was AirBnBs.

After the building owner got desperate for income during winter when occupancy rates dropped, they changed it to instant-bookings with no security deposit. The units were of course immediately filled with people throwing parties so after 4 straight nights of that bullshit my friends called the city Finance Department.

Building owner was fined over $10k for each unit he was AirBnB-ing out, and shockingly none of the units had CO detectors in them, and the basement apartment wasn't actually on the Certificate of Occupancy so the owner's brother living there was evicted by the city, and at the end of the day they had over $100k in fines.
Owner then had the balls to knock on my friends' door with some goons standing behind him and asked them to leave a month before their lease was up, and the response was "yeah cool we can do that, we can also call my lawyer and get a breach of contract lawsuit started and also conference-call the City Finance department in where we let them know about the other code violations we have documented. Or just leave us be and inspect the apartment on the date we previously established"

He then proceeded to let the city know about the violations anyways on his move-out day, and they wound up hitting the owner with another $50k in fines.
hell yeah gently caress landlords every day

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Jimmy Carter posted:

Is it a common belief that "everyone should own a house" is a bad idea, and the 2008 crash was an example of those chickens coming home to roost? I've heard that one more than one occasions, and the more I think about it, the more I think the corollary "everyone should pay rent to a handful of landowners" is still inarguably worse.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

i got blisters on my dick after reading this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the argument isn't home ownership vs landlordism

the argument is for-profit speculative housing versus nationalized price controlled housing.