Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm curious what's in store for Thompson.

I'm convinced she should be writing a Spider-Man book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Oh sorry, I meant specifically with regards to marvel comics.
But I can totally see her writing Nancy Drew. It's basically a less fighty version of Kate Bishop. Maybe she'll slip another reference to Kate Beaton in there. :allears:

I don't think she has any new Marvel books announced at the moment, but she signed a new contract with them which means she should have something more than Rogue and Gambit soon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

I'm convinced she should be writing a Spider-Man book.

I'm convinced that literally anyone but Nick Spencer should be writing Spider-man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I'm convinced that literally anyone but Nick Spencer should be writing Spider-man.

That'll teach you to complain about Dan Slott while holding a monkey's paw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That'll teach you to complain about Dan Slott while holding a monkey's paw.

I thought it was a foot!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really loved A-force, and was sad no one kept it going because adding Elsa to the team would have been amazing.

If I had a monkey's paw I'd want Kelly Thompson to basically do A-force again but focusing on a team being lead by Kate and made up of young women. BUt then that's what I always wish for.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kelly Thompson could be the one writer to make Captain Marvel good, but I alao don't want her trapped just being the girl that writes girl characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I really loved A-force, and was sad no one kept it going because adding Elsa to the team would have been amazing.

If I had a monkey's paw I'd want Kelly Thompson to basically do A-force again but focusing on a team being lead by Kate and made up of young women. BUt then that's what I always wish for.

I don't think you know how monkey's paws work. If you get one you give it to your worst enemy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bring back a-force but add kamala and gwenpool and singularity better be back

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd read Kelly Thompson's Spider-Man. I'm not sure if that would make her the first woman on ASM (I'm sure there has to have been a Nocenti or Mary Jo Duffy story somewhere in there), but she couldn't be more than the fourth or fifth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gail Simone asked about this on Twitter earlier today and what people came up with was Louise Simonson on web of Spidey and Jody houser on renew your vows

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

EvilJay posted:

That being said: None of this--and I know this was not your point-- explains why Deadpool is suddenly an rear end in a top hat to everyone and Steve is just not only forgiven but tasked and OK with tracking down the man who only carried out the orders he thought came from the REAL Steve and not Stevil or Nazsteve (both are great names). From Deadpool's POV 'Captain America' gave him a job and he did it without question. I think it's messed up that Wade has to be tried in court for his actions when Steve is not only automatically exonerated but somehow cleared to testify against him.

I just went through a couple of the last few issues to refresh my memory, and it is explained. Rogue flat-out says it to him: they want to bring him in because he worked for HYDRA, but they're willing to take it easy on him. It's basically just a formality.

Wade evades capture in order to perform several hits on Stryfe's behalf, as otherwise, Stryfe will kill his daughter Ellie. On top of that, Wade's doing his usual self-sabotage schtick out of guilt, both over what he did for HYDRA and the people Stryfe is having him take out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I haven't been keeping up too much with Deadpool so my impression might be way off here, but isn't "Nobody in this world ever gives Deadpool a break, even though they let other characters off for way worse things" kind of a strange takeaway from all this when it's pretty much just the current Deadpool book that's not giving Deadpool a break, written by the writer claiming that no one ever gives Deadpool a break, while pretty much every other book and writer out there could give a hoot about any of this?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Deadpool is currently in domino and everyone is cool with him there, sooooo....yes

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Huh, "Domino has a book out" is not a concept I thought I'd have to wrap my mind around today!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

He recently showed up in that Rocket miniseries and it was very apparent that he was suffering some bad depression over the stuff going on in his series. Basically only helping out Rocket because even if Rocket doesn't like him, he at least doesn't hate him like everyone else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Gail Simone asked about this on Twitter earlier today and what people came up with was Louise Simonson on web of Spidey and Jody houser on renew your vows

I'm not sure if she'd be great at it, but I'd definitely give a Gail Simone Spider-Man series a shot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BrianWilly posted:

I haven't been keeping up too much with Deadpool so my impression might be way off here, but isn't "Nobody in this world ever gives Deadpool a break, even though they let other characters off for way worse things" kind of a strange takeaway from all this when it's pretty much just the current Deadpool book that's not giving Deadpool a break, written by the writer claiming that no one ever gives Deadpool a break, while pretty much every other book and writer out there could give a hoot about any of this?

It has been a while, but when Daisy Johnson found out he killed Coulson, she wanted to encase him into a concrete foundation. Not because that would kill him, just to get rid of him for a long long time.
That exchange was kinda weird by the way. Even if he'd survive being crushed by concrete. Wouldn't he have to breathe? Is his super healing so strong that it can produce oxygen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It has been a while, but when Daisy Johnson found out he killed Coulson, she wanted to encase him into a concrete foundation. Not because that would kill him, just to get rid of him for a long long time.
That exchange was kinda weird by the way. Even if he'd survive being crushed by concrete. Wouldn't he have to breathe? Is his super healing so strong that it can produce oxygen?

Punisher once cut off his head and sealed it in a metal jar for a time. So no, probably not.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure if she'd be great at it, but I'd definitely give a Gail Simone Spider-Man series a shot.

I've not really enjoyed any of her stuff that I've read. Not all of it, but I've read Secret Six, Batgirl, and Red Sonja. Is there anything of hers I should look for? Particularly Marvel I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you know how monkey's paws work. If you get one you give it to your worst enemy.

I can accept Greg Land on art for it.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I think Marvel-wise she's only done her stint on Deadpool and Agent X.

But I liked her stuff from that Era Birds of Prey up to Villians United Era Secret Six. Her recent stuff has been tough, but I haven't read Domino and I've heard some gush over Red Sonja.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Her run on Domino is only two issues in, but they've both been quite good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rantmo posted:

Her run on Domino is only two issues in, but they've both been quite good.

Gail's usually a pretty good writer. We can't judge her on her time in BSS.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Posting on Something Awful in general is not good for one's reputation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Posting on Something Awful in general is not good for one's reputation.

She was just bad at posting. She kept signing her posts!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody on this site is a good poster

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Nobody on this site is a good poster

She was exceptionally bad and refused to follow the rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

She was exceptionally bad and refused to follow the rules.

Nobody's perfect

-Skwirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Nobody's perfect

-Skwirl.

I'LL SIGN YOUR FACE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhyno posted:

I'LL SIGN YOUR FACE

Not an emptyquote.

-ArmyofMidgets

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

I'LL SIGN YOUR FACE

Don't write in all caps. People might thing that you are angry or yelling. :)

~me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't Warren Ellis or Garth Ennis post here? I suppose Garth Ennis would still be here, so it must've been Ellis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

Didn't Warren Ellis or Garth Ennis post here? I suppose Garth Ennis would still be here, so it must've been Ellis.

Ellis did briefly, but we were boring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

It was Ellis. A goon bought him an account and he posted for a few weeks. Then he had one of his famous hard drive crashes and lost his password or something and never returned.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
In another three years or so maybe he'll come back to us like he does with all his dropped projects

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I've not really enjoyed any of her stuff that I've read. Not all of it, but I've read Secret Six, Batgirl, and Red Sonja. Is there anything of hers I should look for? Particularly Marvel I guess.

Honestly, if you didn't like Red Sonja, you probably won't like Gail's work in general. Those books play to her strengths like few others.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was Ellis. A goon bought him an account and he posted for a few weeks. Then he had one of his famous hard drive crashes and lost his password or something and never returned.

Oh, by the way, to the relief of the rest of the forum, I will not be signing all my posts in an attempt to annoy Rhyno. Only the ones where I'm responding directly to him, or quoting him in an effort to be petty.

-Skwirl

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Read the new Squirrel Girl and honestly the art change isn't doing it for me. I was fine with it at first, but then there was the first panel of Nancy Whitehead. At first I thought I was looking at Chuck's girlfriend from Archie (who, bizarrely, is also named Nancy). I don't know if it's from the original art, but Nancy was always someone who stood out character design wise, tall, angular head and features, fairly unique clothing, and in a lot of ways she was as unusual looking a character as squirrel girl herself was. The new one... isn't, and I didn't realize how much I had internalized the look and feel of the original artist. I was actually among those complaining at the art in USG originally, but it grew on me considerably, so I guess I can only hope the same will be true of this one. Right now though, it feels like some of the uniqueness that made the comic charming has been lost to a more bland, inoffensive style, that really has nothing wrong with it except that it isn't as vibrant and so obviously it's own thing as the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Oh, by the way, to the relief of the rest of the forum, I will not be signing all my posts in an attempt to annoy Rhyno. Only the ones where I'm responding directly to him, or quoting him in an effort to be petty.

-Skwirl

I'm am meticulously checking the rules to see if this is still an offense.

She also would have multiple posts in a row responding to various posts because she was incapable of learning how to use the quote function.

Then Sgt Rock burned a bunch of her books in his sink but for some reason history says I was the one that drove her off.

• Locked thread