Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dasha owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tim pool is straight up a smoothbrain dumb person

If you follow his example there are two types of journalism: whining about antifa and calling other journalists fake news.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dmitri-9 posted:

If you follow his example there are two types of journalism: whining about antifa and calling other journalists fake news.

TBF, you get that impression from every mainstream news source.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

aware of dog posted:

some ComicsGate poo poo, iirc comic stores were going to boycott that comic because its writer has been leading a harassment campaign against women, POC, and LGBT people in the industry

When did all this happen? Also wats comicsgate?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/994941816607772674

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Revealing the underlying hypocrisy of "classical libraral" doofuses is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Doing it in a way that "center left" fans will acknowledge is impossible

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

pillsburysoldier posted:

its like gamergate, but with comics

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean yeah but Cobra Kai literally has a hispanic dude as the new karate kid and an overweight black girl. I mean instead of posting on tumblr she kicks asses but still

it's kind of a yin yang thing going on

I've only watched an episode but it seems like a big part of the show is Zabka being a totally broken rear end in a top hat that we are not meant to admire in any way, shape or form.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Bushiz posted:

I've only watched an episode but it seems like a big part of the show is Zabka being a totally broken rear end in a top hat that we are not meant to admire in any way, shape or form.

Sort of. He's certainly a broken person, and even if bullheaded and regressive his attempts to teach self-assertiveness are well-meaning, but success on his part is almost incidentally and matched by as many setbacks. That said, what successes he does get are both heartwarming and hilarious.

I think it's a fun play on the mentor/disciple stories where both learn of each other, and going deeper than that, an interesting look at the notions of "learning to be happy with who you are and teach others to accept you" vs "changing yourself if you're unhappy with who you are" in a modern social context, juxtaposed with the personal experience of an rear end in a top hat locked in the 80s.

But make no mistake: the show is clear that even though he often has a point, he's still a huge gently caress up that's only managing to reach his students because they're young, desperate, and easily impressionable.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/fungeonmaster1/status/995028633839337472?s=21

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you'd think at least one of them would try Social Nationalism on for size by now

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean yeah but Cobra Kai literally has a hispanic dude as the new karate kid and an overweight black girl. I mean instead of posting on tumblr she kicks asses but still

it's kind of a yin yang thing going on

cobra kai is funny the main character, a gently caress up who never got over high school who's regressive attitudes are used as a way to show that.

naturally people then assume that he's right. BOY I WONDER WHY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

every chudd mentioned in this thread are all straight up a smoothbrain dumb persons

fixed that for you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sort of. He's certainly a broken person, and even if bullheaded and regressive his attempts to teach self-assertiveness are well-meaning, but success on his part is almost incidentally and matched by as many setbacks. That said, what successes he does get are both heartwarming and hilarious.

I think it's a fun play on the mentor/disciple stories where both learn of each other, and going deeper than that, an interesting look at the notions of "learning to be happy with who you are and teach others to accept you" vs "changing yourself if you're unhappy with who you are" in a modern social context, juxtaposed with the personal experience of an rear end in a top hat locked in the 80s.

But make no mistake: the show is clear that even though he often has a point, he's still a huge gently caress up that's only managing to reach his students because they're young, desperate, and easily impressionable.

On the one hand he's a broken dude holding onto the past, and he uses that to bully his students but on the other they can't just have him be a hypermasculine meathead and expect to win the audience over especially if they follow him as a protagonist, so again yin yang thing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tim pool is straight up a smoothbrain dumb person
yes he is

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i wish i had something to add about bari weiss but didn't we have this debate like a year ago? i'm bored. i dunno it seems like the liberals who were like "don't be too anti-racist or you might turn people into nazis" gave that up and the right-wingers are now taking that position.

if anything that seems like the overton window shifting left :shrug:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i wish i had something to add about bari weiss but didn't we have this debate like a year ago? i'm bored. i dunno it seems like the liberals who were like "don't be too anti-racist or you might turn people into nazis" gave that up and the right-wingers are now taking that position.

if anything that seems like the overton window shifting left :shrug:

This piece claims exactly that: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-big-idea/2018/5/10/17338290/intellectual-dark-web-rogan-peterson-harris-times-weiss

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so a micro-case study in everyday anti-fascism. last week, thomas rousseau of patriot front (he's the leader) and two other guys wandered into downtown lewisville (texas, not kentucky) which is a working-class suburb of dallas and pasted anti-immigrant flyers all over the place. a local saw the flyers, took some down and then (unfortunately) contacted the dallas morning news, which covered the flyers. the good thing is that the morning news didn't do any hedging about who these guys are, but the bad thing is that getting in the local news like that is ultimately patriot front's goal when they do these flyer jobs.

but that's not the interesting part. there's a lewisville local FB group, and the flyers became a topic of discussion there. outside of a few extremely ancient white dudes who liked the flyers, there were dozens of comments from people posting "get this nazi trash out of here!" -- and these are not antifas but just ordinary working people who live in the suburb, and also encouraging each other to find any flyers and take them down. no anti-fascists (in like an 'affiliated' sense) organized this.

as an aside, patriot front (mainly thomas and a few guys) have been pretty busy in DFW in the past few weeks. two banner drops, including an enormous one near downtown dallas; and flyers in lewisville (just mentioned), burleson (near a methodist church) and in far northwest dallas near farmers branch. but remember the main point of these things is to get in the news, and also to take pictures of themselves doing these things, so they can appear like a take-no-prisoners activist group on their social media channels.

anyways i find it noteworthy that the group's leader is doing more and more of this guerrilla activism in his hometown lately. what's the problem? patriot front has nothing better to do?

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 19:21 on May 13, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aware of dog posted:

some ComicsGate poo poo, iirc comic stores were going to boycott that comic because its writer has been leading a harassment campaign against women, POC, and LGBT people in the industry

Basically, and then a high profile writer lead a boycott against it and the publisher pulled out and someone got robbed

DnC is a pack of shitheads and I wish they would all follow through on their promise to stop reading comics

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm late to contrapoints chat but here's my thoughts

1) her wallpaper is sick as hell
2) she could get it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pillsburysoldier posted:

This week, and it's literally gg but comics and they aren't even bothering to hide behind the fig leaf of ethics and it didn't spin out of a guy being mad at his ex

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

This week, and it's literally gg but comics and they aren't even bothering to hide behind the fig leaf of ethics and it didn't spin out of a guy being mad at his ex

To give an idea of how dumb these people are, they tried to get support for their anti-SJW movement from Neil Gaimen.

Neil-loving-Gaimen.

I don't think they've read a single comic in their life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My favorite hot take from one of them was "why does marvel give mark waid work when hes leading this BULLYING CAMPAIGN to STIFLE our FREE SPEECH"

The answer is because he writes popular rear end books even if he does have a dumb stance on punching Nazis (also marvel has a history of trying to reach out to people who aren't white dudes, because it means more money)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Just came by to express appreciation for Ineffectual Dork Web

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The interesting thing about comics gate is how they're literally just going YEAH WE SUCK and there's no fake narrative to grab idiots it's explicitly about being poo poo and nothing else

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Samovar posted:

To give an idea of how dumb these people are, they tried to get support for their anti-SJW movement from Neil Gaimen.

Neil-loving-Gaimen.

I don't think they've read a single comic in their life.

ahaha yeah if they’d read even a single work of his I feel like they would have understood how bad an idea this was

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

codenameFANGIO posted:

ahaha yeah if they’d read even a single work of his I feel like they would have understood how bad an idea this was

Maybe they read the one issue of Sandman where the moon rejects a trans woman for not being a real woman and thought that was representative of his work

OTOH virtually every character in that issue is a woman so idk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

There have been plenty of white men who were ostensibly left in the 90s that have gone reactionary after being criticized slightly. It’s possible someone could have once told him that his Sandman story with trans characters has aged badly and caused a Billy Corrigan-sized freakout.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pope Guilty posted:

Maybe they read the one issue of Sandman where the moon rejects a trans woman for not being a real woman and thought that was representative of his work

i thought Gaiman meant the moon goddess was out of touch (set in her ways) and wrong about that, not that he the author was agreeing with it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

it's probably another case of the alt-right thinking a main characters beliefs are 100% the authors beliefs.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
the villains of that comic are her abusive right-wing Christian family who bury her in a suit and put her birth name on the tombstone

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

business hammocks posted:

There have been plenty of white men who were ostensibly left in the 90s that have gone reactionary after being criticized slightly. It’s possible someone could have once told him that his Sandman story with trans characters has aged badly and caused a Billy Corrigan-sized freakout.

most of them just hated the vaguely defined "man" and "corporations" and "mtv culture" and thats about as far as they went

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ague Proof posted:

i thought Gaiman meant the moon goddess was out of touch (set in her ways) and wrong about that, not that he the author was agreeing with it

this was also how I read it but I am open to it being an optimistic reading.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
the moon is a terf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747