Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

angerbeet posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen someone consider buying a sound card that wasn't into music production.

I come from a time when you only needed to buy a sound card if you wanted to hear sound. It wasn't built in. I still have a nice Yamaha card around here somewhere, but I've been using the onboard sound for the last 2 computer builds. My wireless headset wouldn't benefit from it anyways, it shows up as a USB sound card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Most onboard sound cards are good now. You used to need a separate card for everything. I tried some of the virtual surround stuff that my USB card offers with Fortnite and it made it worse

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I asked my musician friend with a nice modern sound card about this and he said he usually just used on board sound for games since it was just as good and caused less problems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MF_James posted:

That is honestly true in every shooter I've played in the last few years, I dunno why it's so hard to do sound.

What trash are uou playing?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

prom candy posted:

Most onboard sound cards are good now. You used to need a separate card for everything. I tried some of the virtual surround stuff that my USB card offers with Fortnite and it made it worse

Yeah virtual surround is trash, I've tried it on 3 different companies headsets and it does nothing but make things have more echo, including party chat which is annoying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I’m not sure what happened earlier but we were 50v50 and it got down to us leading 14v1 yet the final enemy somehow built so high that we were all in the storm but they survived a millisecond longer than us to take the win :psyduck:

santanotreal posted:

People will stack up on just med kits and place a double campfire so that they can outlive the entire other team as the circle closes

Lol this just happened to a 50v50 I was in, there were like 20 of us though, and 2 of them left. They ended up nading all of us from a perch on a mountain top they were hiding in just on the edge of the last circle and we all died in the storm.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nullsmack posted:

I come from a time when you only needed to buy a sound card if you wanted to hear sound. It wasn't built in. I still have a nice Yamaha card around here somewhere, but I've been using the onboard sound for the last 2 computer builds. My wireless headset wouldn't benefit from it anyways, it shows up as a USB sound card.

Yeah thinking back I had a... Sound Blaster 16? in some old computer like 25 years ago, when "onboard sound" was like, beep boop

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

[wrong thread]

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sound Blaster AWE64 really upped my game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Housh posted:

Sound Blaster AWE64 really upped my game.

Hell yeah. :hfive:

I'm so glad things like ethernet and sound are built in to motherboards now. Saves a lot of time and space when putting a machine together.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh man speaking of NICs not built in to the board, wayyyy back when I first got cable internets in 2000ish, we had bought our own router (I don't think you could rent them at the time just the modem) and put NICs into a few computers. A few months after all that, lightning hit the pole outside our house and killed the modem, router and every NIC connected because Comcast's modems weren't insulated, they probably still aren't.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

MF_James posted:

Oh man speaking of NICs not built in to the board, wayyyy back when I first got cable internets in 2000ish, we had bought our own router (I don't think you could rent them at the time just the modem) and put NICs into a few computers. A few months after all that, lightning hit the pole outside our house and killed the modem, router and every NIC connected because Comcast's modems weren't insulated, they probably still aren't.

Haha literally just had a lightning strike. Killed a PC, TV, and the cable box. Comcast gateway and soundbar survived.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I often built PCs out of spare parts. The best part was the chicken and egg problem of downloading the NIC drivers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I suddenly want to actually try giving this stupid Fortnite BR thing a shot despite rather disliking pubg in the distant past. i can only hope I have not erred too horribly

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I suddenly want to actually try giving this stupid Fortnite BR thing a shot despite rather disliking pubg in the distant past. i can only hope I have not erred too horribly

If you dislike the PUBG game style, you'll probably dislike BR, too.

But it's really a whole different ballgame. And by different, I mean better.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What part of pubg did you dislike? Cuz depending on what you disliked, you might hate BR or you might like it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Plus it's free.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah the free thing helps

I like it enough to buy in for the battle pass at least, so I guess the overall concept of BR games doesn't repel me. must have been everything else about pubg :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Haha literally just had a lightning strike. Killed a PC, TV, and the cable box. Comcast gateway and soundbar survived.

You can spend $100 on a good UPS, or $20-50 on a real good surge protected power strip. I had a PC ruined by a storm back when I finished college and I've never let my PCs be without a good UPS since then. A UPS in particular is real nice, especially if you're in the middle of something and your power flickers or goes out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Got my first win. It was a 50v50 so not super technically impressive but still felt great. We were down 16 to 10 but I got a good flank in with a minigun and just never stopped shooting. Ended with 6 kills and a victory royale!

I know these posts are dime a dozen but felt like sharing.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It's painful to watch my kid play because he's actually pretty good at medium and long range but the second he gets in a shotgun fight he just panics and gets completely wrecked. Poor kid's never going to score a win outside of the big squad LTMs because it always seems to come down to a bunny hopping shotgun fight.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's painful to watch my kid play because he's actually pretty good at medium and long range but the second he gets in a shotgun fight he just panics and gets completely wrecked. Poor kid's never going to score a win outside of the big squad LTMs because it always seems to come down to a bunny hopping shotgun fight.

Tell him to not bunny hop in shotgun fights. I found that bunny hopping makes me panic more but if I focus on aiming and not jumping, i win a lot more shotgun battles. Against good players, bunny hopping won’t be very effective anyways and against bad players, it’s not needed if you’re aiming more consistently. Plus, it distracts from the real shotgun battle strategy of outbuilding your opponent.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Johnny Truant posted:

If you dislike the PUBG game style, you'll probably dislike BR, too.

But it's really a whole different ballgame. And by different, I mean better.

I did not care for PUBG but I like Fortnite quite a bit. The problem I had with PUBG is that it took way too much looting to get a decent loadout, whereas you can be mostly pretty happy with your gear in Fortnite pretty soon after landing. My experience in PUBG was looting for 10-15 minutes and then dying from someone I couldn't see.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can spend $100 on a good UPS, or $20-50 on a real good surge protected power strip. I had a PC ruined by a storm back when I finished college and I've never let my PCs be without a good UPS since then. A UPS in particular is real nice, especially if you're in the middle of something and your power flickers or goes out.

Yea I spent a decent amount on the power strip so I thought I’d be ok. Gonna go ahead and get a UPS though

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Yea I spent a decent amount on the power strip so I thought I’d be ok. Gonna go ahead and get a UPS though

If you have Homeowners or Renters insurance, most basic policies will cover electronics up to $5k for this kind of thing.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have a good recommendation on a decent, cheap, blue tooth headset?

I'm in the 50-100$ range.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Am I a bad person if I find STW way more fun and enjoyable than BR?

Or maybe just bad at vidja games...

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Eh, they're just different games. StW has way more depth, but also requires a lot more investment, especially on a per map basis. And $$

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah I just like exploring and crafting, and then seeing what kind of defense solutions a team can come up with based on where the game puts the objective, hero abilities, etc. Also you get a private custom base!

BR for me is mostly just 4 minutes of exploring then getting sniped by someone half a mile away.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If you aren't checking your surroundings like a paranoid prairie dog on crack while moving through the map, I don't know what to tell you.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

mrmcd posted:

I don't know. Need more information.

Have you even shot a mouse with a handgun before?

BR and STW have different flow. BR is fast, stasxtick, bro-romancical. (I made some of these words).
STW is kind of slow. Theres sometimes entire 17 minutes of absolutely nothing to do. You have to like gardening your rocks garden, and your gnometry designs.

BR you are the type of person that have fun having a bar fight.
STW is good if you are the type of person that have fun drinking alone thinking about remodeling a room in your house.

Azran posted:

If you aren't checking your surroundings like a paranoid prairie dog on crack while moving through the map, I don't know what to tell you.

also this

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 14, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Azran posted:

Which is why I also don't enjoy BR. STW is super fun when you get a really tough mission and you're barely holding off the hordes and frantically patching holes in your defenses.

The weapons also don't need to be balanced around pvp so they're always fun and powerful feeling. Love my sniper-shotgun, piercing semi-auto fire assault rifle, or bouncing laser pistol.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tei posted:

STW is good if you are the type of person that have fun drinking alone thinking about remodeling a room in your house.

Stop doxxing me, man. :mad:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I won a 1v1 against a full health Thanos to get a victory last night because the poor guy muscle-memoried jump when he got shot at, locking him in place for me to shred him with a gold SCAR for three seconds.

Then he only clipped me with his ground pound...and did it again. It felt like cheating.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I won a 1v1 against a Thanos by dumb luck of him missing the last few ticks of his laser, leaving me with 10 HP, then he whiffed a slam and I drilled a hole into his skull with a silenced pistol.

I have since come to the conclusion that Thanos controls like rear end and they way overnerfed him so if you aren't getting the drop on someone 1v1 and instantly killing them, you're probably going to die.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I only played that mode a couple times and only got to fight Thanos once, but I'm pretty sure the guy who had it was an idiot:
https://streamable.com/y1f14

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah the Thanos nerfs, now that I've played as him, are loving trash. His shield disappears in under two seconds in every engagement :wtc:

With that being said, it's fun as gently caress to punch people to death!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it’s in exactly the right spot now, where it’s dumb to pick up the gauntlet but way too much fun not to

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Thanos mode is all about ripping people up with a gold AR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://puu.sh/AmOot/1b3e8e1b2b.mp4

Never had this happen before, has anyone else seen something like this?