Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Robert J. Omb posted:

I’ve just started Wolfenstein II after having a blast with The New Order and The Old Blood.

It’s fun and all but it feels like the difficulty is a little... off. I’m playing in the easiest mode but I’ve died more in the first couple of levels than I did in the whole of the last game. The positions of the officers make it a real struggle to take them out stealthily, too.

I’ll admit that I’m an impatient gamer and enjoy blasting through, but surely that’s why they have mockingly-easy difficulty modes!

Imagine how different the film would have been if these were Citizen Kane’s last words...

I had a lot of fun not even being the one playing the Wofenstein - my brother was playing it and trying to use the laser cutter and he was so bad at drawing circles in fences, he just butchered the hell out of them. I made fun of him mercilessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robert J. Omb posted:

I’ve just started Wolfenstein II after having a blast with The New Order and The Old Blood.

It’s fun and all but it feels like the difficulty is a little... off. I’m playing in the easiest mode but I’ve died more in the first couple of levels than I did in the whole of the last game. The positions of the officers make it a real struggle to take them out stealthily, too.

I’ll admit that I’m an impatient gamer and enjoy blasting through, but surely that’s why they have mockingly-easy difficulty modes!

It's not just you, I had the same issue. But my problem was just getting really lost and not knowing how to get out of places. I'm really bad at directions and it was like, my second PS4 game and I don't really do FPSes a lot so I didn't really think it was the game itself.

But I have a bad habit of rationalizing things anyway.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Playing the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy is reminding me just how infuriatingly pointless the lives system is. Yes, I will sit here, dying to the same loving falling board thanks to the loving misplaced upside-down turtle on that stupid forced perspective bridge, again and again and again and again, and thanks to the Dark Souls games, I will like it because I've learned to internalize that loving victory screen as a great triumph all over again. But I will hate this game with the fury of a thousand dying Suns every single time that stupid loving tiki mask zooms out of the black and laughs "game over" in my face, wasting my time for an extra two minutes as I sigh and reload that save file with 37 lives again (because fuuuuuuuuck trying to beat that level with only five).

You can really tell that this game was made back during the design philosophy of "bilk the gently caress out of every quarter that stupid loving gamer has." I'm goddamn glad that we've left that particular gimmick in the past.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Robert J. Omb posted:

Imagine how different the film would have been if these were Citizen Kane’s last words...

The game has issues with alerting you to incoming damage. A lot of times you run around shooting Nazis, glance down and are on like 5 hp without noticing. You have to keep checking your health way more often than in most games.
Also don't forget that you can wield two weapons. A lot of fights get a whole lot easier when you can fire a shotgun and an assault rifle at the same time.
Its all worth it for the glorious completely batshit insane story though!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You completed a 133% of them? (You meant to put those fractions the other way around)

No they didn't you dweeb, not all fractions are representations of percentages of single units. They completed, across four games, an average of a third of each of them, ergo 4/3.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, when are Mom Games going to become a thing?

someone tried their hand at that already

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wolfenstein 2 has a near perfect inverted difficulty curve. It's got to be intentional, but I have no idea why.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I got up to the courthouse sequence before I just decided "gently caress this game" and turned it down to easy so I could finish the story.

Which is ironic considering that is pretty much right before the game gets massively easier.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The courtroom is a kickass set piece but yeah, also a kind of weirdly huge difficulty bump right before it plummets.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Veotax posted:

I got up to the courthouse sequence before I just decided "gently caress this game" and turned it down to easy so I could finish the story.

Which is ironic considering that is pretty much right before the game gets massively easier.

That's exactly the same spot where I got fed up and adjusted the difficulty. I was overall pretty underwhelmed by the game too, but at least it's short.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oh and they loving butcher Norse mythology in a way that's even worse than the Greeks but we're used to that from Americans at this point. They should just be glad that most of the modern Norse faithful are super chill; in the old days talking poo poo about the gods was literal blood feud material
)

If it makes you feel better most modern Norse worshippers are Nazis who understand less about Norse myth than GoW does

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, when are Mom Games going to become a thing?

Bloodborne is the best Mom game because it holds nothing back on the horrors of birth and rebirth. Hell the best boss is a recently-born orphan who smacks you with its placenta

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

glad she is dead posted:

Wolfenstein 2 has a near perfect inverted difficulty curve. It's got to be intentional, but I have no idea why.

Nice way of putting it!

Perhaps it’s to make you feel like you are going to become an absolute badass. It would work thematically from where you start...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You still feel like you're made of wet paper at the end of the game so it doesn't mean much

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Deified Data posted:

If it makes you feel better most modern Norse worshippers are Nazis who understand less about Norse myth than GoW does

1stGear posted:

ahahaahah this is the dumbest complaint. Who even gives a gently caress about ~*modern Norse worshippers*~.

And the mythology is accurate, its just written from the perspective of all the beings the Norse gods hosed over.
I love it when American liberals decide what religions are and aren't important and that because their country is full of white supremacists, so are all the rest

Thing draggin down EUIV: Not enough fantasy content. I want Prester Johns kingdom to be real; I want Scandinavia/The Baltic to suddenly go "Joke! We were pagan all along!"

I want an actually well developed Fantasy New world, not just terrible dullness and way less content than the regular, old one

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be honest, a lot of the criticisms I've heard about TNC (in short, passable gameplay, but amazing storytelling) are how I'd describe my experience with the first game. Just with maybe a few less random splats.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing about TNC was amazing to me. The good parts are merely decent and don't excel at anything and a lot of it is quite bad. Which averages out to "mediocre and not worth the time."

I understand not playing the first game probably made the story and characters a lot more flat for me, but it definitely didn't change anything about the gameplay. which is bad

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man you know what sucks? when a long-rear end game only lets you choose difficulty right at the start

playing kingdom hearts 1 on its hard mode and 10 hours in i really want to just drop it to normal so i can finish it and get to the rest of the series faster instead of getting stuck at every boss

but i'm sure as poo poo not starting over and redoing all that content i already did on normal

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
KH also had some weird difficulty choices. You can play Normal, begin the game on Easy but switch to Hard when you get to a certain level(30?) or begin on Hard and switch to Easy when you get to the same level. Like, why wouldn't you choose Normal? Why would you gamble that you can handle a sudden difficulty change in the middle of the game or that you can handle getting plowed right at the start?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thin Privilege posted:

No, I don’t have a gun. I’m in the air vent.

He's loving with you. You NEVER get a gun. I liked the Outlast games but eventually got tired of never being able to fight back, even on a rudimentary level, so that dragged those games down for me.

Had some spare time this weekend to finally delve back into Witcher 3 and I'm officially done with it now. Just over it. I know people love this game and I can honestly see why. I keep wanting to and thinking I will eventually. The graphics, the world and the story are incredible. There's a lot to like about it but I am totally over constantly having to exit the game and navigate the sub menus. Plus spinning Geralt around to pick poo poo up/loot, beating my head against the wall figuring out which of the 2000 items I have that I should keep, running back to town to repair my poo poo and fussing with the camera whenever I fight.

I swear to god, a quick map, a few more potion/oil hot slots and a little tightening of the controls would have helped this game a lot. The controls are very slippery and janky. I'd like to see them incorporate more of an Arkham feel for the combat and dial down the inventory management.

I think a movie would be more fun than the game so actually so looking forward to the Netflix thing but the game is just not for me.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samuringa posted:

KH also had some weird difficulty choices. You can play Normal, begin the game on Easy but switch to Hard when you get to a certain level(30?) or begin on Hard and switch to Easy when you get to the same level. Like, why wouldn't you choose Normal? Why would you gamble that you can handle a sudden difficulty change in the middle of the game or that you can handle getting plowed right at the start?

That's not a difficulty setting, not exactly. It's deciding your XP curve. Either start leveling slower in the early game and speed it up later, the reverse or an even progression throughout. However no matter what you pick the XP to 99 will be the same.

Yes it's super obtuse and doesnt make any sense for a first time playthrough.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's not a difficulty setting, not exactly. It's deciding your XP curve. Either start leveling slower in the early game and speed it up later, the reverse or an even progression throughout. However no matter what you pick the XP to 99 will be the same.

Yes it's super obtuse and doesnt make any sense for a first time playthrough.

oh, was that one of the questions the ff characters ask you at the start of the game? i remembered the sword/shield/staff thing but not that part of it until i booted the game up

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah all 3 of them. There's an invisible point counter, the top response is 1 pt, middle is 2 points and bottom is 3 pts. Then it averages them out and gives you some cryptic bullshit.

I love the series but the intro to 1 is so drat weird.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://twitter.com/NotSpeedwagon/status/995837791136235520

:thunk:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Had some spare time this weekend to finally delve back into Witcher 3 and I'm officially done with it now. Just over it.

i know you have said youre over it, but there are mods that address your issues, notably the infinite item durability, 9000 weight limit, and auto loot mods. i understand if you dont want to mod the game but at least in my case the game was very frustrating to play without those mods

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I love it when American liberals decide what religions are and aren't important and that because their country is full of white supremacists, so are all the rest

All religions are dumb in their own ways, get over it.

There's an enemy in GOW that's pissing me off, a flying elf general that combines everything that sucks in these games: blocking enemies, auto-dodging, ditching your lock on, unlockable attacks that track, and more that I can't quite remember. He sucks the fun out of every encounter he's in, and in one such encounter, there are two of him. It was awful.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Morpheus posted:

All religions are dumb in their own ways, get over it.

There's an enemy in GOW that's pissing me off, a flying elf general that combines everything that sucks in these games: blocking enemies, auto-dodging, ditching your lock on, unlockable attacks that track, and more that I can't quite remember. He sucks the fun out of every encounter he's in, and in one such encounter, there are two of him. It was awful.

Don't forget blinding you. Also dodging away in the middle of your combo, leaving a bomb where he was standing (which also blinds you).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh how could I forget about the blinding.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Parent game is :barf:

Wish people didn’t age.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Thin Privilege posted:

Parent game is :barf:

Wish people didn’t age.

How often do you use the word 'crotchspawn'

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Olive! posted:

How often do you use the word 'crotchspawn'

Never. /childfree people are crazy.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
dad game more like bad game

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm way behind the times, but Mad Max was on sale on Steam this weekend and I've been chewing through it since I'm at home sick.

I wish I knew what the thought process was around the minefield objectives, because I 100% don't understand why they're in the game. You have to totally break the flow of the game (which is otherwise really fluid and dynamic, hopping between looting and objectives) to swap your car, drive back out to where you were, and play chocobo hot and cold around an empty field, except the determination of how 'hot' you're getting is the same dog yelping sound loop played on repeat.

I'm having a tonne of fun with the game otherwise but these sections are just so loving off the mark, it's crazy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There is no Cod of War costume in the new GoW game. This is unacceptable.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Brain In A Jar posted:

I'm way behind the times, but Mad Max was on sale on Steam this weekend and I've been chewing through it since I'm at home sick.

I wish I knew what the thought process was around the minefield objectives, because I 100% don't understand why they're in the game. You have to totally break the flow of the game (which is otherwise really fluid and dynamic, hopping between looting and objectives) to swap your car, drive back out to where you were, and play chocobo hot and cold around an empty field, except the determination of how 'hot' you're getting is the same dog yelping sound loop played on repeat.

I'm having a tonne of fun with the game otherwise but these sections are just so loving off the mark, it's crazy.

It's probably some form of leftover feature which for whatever reason was left in.

Like you mentioned, the game plays just fine and feels slick. Towards the latter part of the game the "CONTENT MISSING, SKIPPING AHEAD"-parts start to show, however. For example the story simply seems to skip one area almost completely, and there are number of other game features which are broken, unnecessary or put together with scotch tape and bubblegum from placeholder items.

But the parts that work are awesome, and the game is definitely fun regardless of the lack of polishing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

My basic rule of thumb with Mad Max was that if it doesn't sound fun, don't do it. Also, fully upgrading the car is tempting but after a certain point any noticeable improvements dwindle off.
Stick to the main plot and the awesome convoy missions and the game is pretty good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think you can just facetank your way through the minefields by doing donuts in them and repairing your car as needed. You miss out on whatever resource disarming gets you (ammo, I think?) but it’ll count as cleared if you set off all the mines.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Now that I think of it, my guess is that the minefields were left in so that the player would have something to do with the dog in the final released version.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The dog looks straight at where the mines are as you get a little closer, it’s not just a series of barks.

Even with that being said though, the minefields seem like something that got put in because it was in the design doc and left in because they weren’t literally unplayably broken. They’re pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The landmine fields were fun if you could lure enemies into them, but otherwise, yeah, they weren't fun.