Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You underestimate the political mastermind known as Hambeet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Victoria - The Mormon State

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

bernie would have won

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Birdstrike posted:

where are you getting all this cash?

This is a theoretical question, but let's assume I sold all my worldly possessions on gumtree (lol, as if I have anything worth >$500). Or I got married and my family gave me cash.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You can still deposit cash in a bank account. This isn't to stop wedding gifts and downsizers, it's to make it harder for people hoarding and laundering cash by turning up to the Jeep dealership with a bag full of money then using it as a trade in/selling privately a few weeks later because their 'wife didn't like it' (actual story from a guy Adam used to work with, he imported/exported god knows what from China and was 100% only working for payg subterfuge)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I wonder how this will go for the people who just don't trust banks and hoard cash as a result

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Considering the stuff they're just noticing in the budget today like SMSF audits being reduced I suspect it's designed to force those people to put their money back into the definitely trustworthy banks.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Deposits of large sums of cash into the banks definitely get noticed though, and if they’re claiming to try to crack down on the cash economy then one of the only ways they can do that is to gradually make it harder to use cash in smaller and smaller amounts.

its still possible to go grab a few grand from the bank to pay a brickie to do a cheap cash job but soon it will become too much hassle for both parties.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Great times will finally happen when the entire world is locked into a fee generation system for people that can literally loan a government a trillion dollars.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i will trade an ounce of marijuana for two milking goats, a blue cattledog, or a child of working age that i can raise as my own

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

this broken hill posted:

i will trade an ounce of marijuana for two milking goats, a blue cattledog, or a child of working age that i can raise as my own
Is four working age?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Super keen to quote this post when Victoria turns Liberal Majority in November :agesilaus:

Quoting this so I can remember in November to throw it back at your face.

Unless you're too busy at that time land clearing rainforest and destroying the reef :smug:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Cartoon posted:

Is four working age?
If they haven't already lost half their fingers to the loom, yeah

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

It sucked when the CIA and MI5 (Chinese Intelligence Agency, Mandarin Intelligence 5) pulled a soft coup on Gough

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 14, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also dictated our involvement in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. The unscrupulous Chinese

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

With a recent poll indicating that more than 60 per cent of Republicans think the FBI is framing President Donald Trump, Ms Clinton backed the integrity of the investigation.

Lol

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm not surprised considering that Republicans have been positioned to not believe anything the mainstream news says about trump/politics/the world

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Genuinely death to America. The world's only super power is a cruel, weird and brutal failure

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I wouldn't say it's the world's 'only' superpower

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah a world where China and Russia lead the way sure would be swell.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The Before Times posted:

I wouldn't say it's the world's 'only' superpower

I would, it is

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Before Times posted:

I'm not surprised considering that Republicans have been positioned to not believe anything the mainstream news says about trump/politics/the world

If i agree with it its true if i disagree its false

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lock her up

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

That isn't the refutation of criticism of lovely America that you think it is.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

re-education camp with you, kulak

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

America is good. Watch your backs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

America is good. Watch your blacks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:drat:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's true and it's already happening.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

May I share something truly beautiful with you all, my friends and colleagues?

AFR posted:

Fair Work Ombudsman action sees underpaying boss sentenced to 12 months' jail

by David Marin-Guzman

The director of a Queensland tour company that underpaid visa workers has been jailed in a landmark contempt of court case brought by the Fair Work Ombudsman.

The Federal Circuit Court on Thursday sentenced Trek North Tours owner operator, Leigh Alan Jorgensen, to 12 months' prison and fined him $84,956 after finding he breached freezing orders by transferring company funds into a trust before back paying workers.

The court ordered Mr Jorgensen's sentence be suspended after 10 days' jail but only if he paid the fine. The Cairns man spent the night in jail on Thursday but was released on Friday after he appealed and secured an urgent stay against his conviction.

The case is the first time the FWO's actions have resulted in a jail term and opens up a major new deterrent to employers who use the corporate veil to avoid liability over underpayments.

In 2015, Mr Jorgensen was fined $12,000 and his company $55,000 for underpaying five backpackers on working holiday visas a total of $30,000. The workers were paid flat rates between $10 and $16.37 an hour and in some cases nothing at all.

After Mr Jorgensen suggested he was prepared to "bankrupt" his company to avoid paying the fines and told FWO investigators the workers would "not get a cent" in back pay, the FWO secured orders freezing the funds of Mr Jorgensen and his company until he paid the amounts.

While Mr Jorgensen paid his personal penalty, his company failed to do so. Despite this, Mr Jorgensen transferred $41,035 from two frozen company accounts into his family trust.

ASIC takes action

Fair Work Ombudsman Natalie James said the case showed the agency was prepared to take unprecedented action to ensure compliance.

"We will use every lever open to us to ensure the integrity of the administration of justice and compliance with court orders imposed under the Fair Work Act 2009.

"This includes taking unprecedented new actions available to us across the legal framework such as this one."

The FWO also referred Mr Jorgensen to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission in 2016 after becoming aware that he was seeking to deregister the company.

ASIC successfully took legal action against Mr Jorgensen for breaching the Corporations Act by falsely or misleadingly claiming his company had no outstanding liabilities, including the unpaid penalties and back pay orders, when he filed to deregister the company.

As a result, Mr Jorgensen was convicted and fined $2000 in February and automatically disqualified from managing a corporation for five years. He has appealed the decision.

Pending his appeal of the contempt ruling, the court has released Mr Jorgensen on conditions that he surrender his passport, remain in Queensland and report to police twice a week.

Mr Jorgensen's prison sentence follows new workplace laws coming into effect in September 2017 that mean employers who provide false wage records to the FWO can now face criminal prosecution.

Maximum penalties for underpayments have also been raised to $630,000 for a company and $126,000 for an individual.

And now, for dessert. Please enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/leigh.a.jorgensen

c'est magnifique

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

JBP posted:

c'est magnifique

Clicking on that dude's Facebook is definitely the most fun I've had today.
I'm not sure which post is my favourite, it's a toss-up between "Jack Black sings amazing version of the US anthem which is the best anthem in the world" and "Star Wars The Last Jedi was a FU to Star Wars fans because of SJWs".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cohsae posted:

Clicking on that dude's Facebook is definitely the most fun I've had today.
I'm not sure which post is my favourite, it's a toss-up between "Jack Black sings amazing version of the US anthem which is the best anthem in the world" and "Star Wars The Last Jedi was a FU to Star Wars fans because of SJWs".

His fb is candyland.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
i can't believe they betrayed star wars fans by killing off the franchise's most iconic and popular character, boba fett

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

bandaid.friend posted:

i can't believe they betrayed star wars fans by killing off the franchise's most iconic and popular character, boba fett

The Sarlacc's mouth is clearly symbolism for a vagina wake up sheeple the signs were there.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A year? I'd bring back the gulag and send the 7-11, Dominos, Retail Food Group, and Cravable Brands CEOs to work off the hours stolen from their employees and franchisers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tokamak posted:

A year? I'd bring back the gulag and send the 7-11, Dominos, Retail Food Group, and Cravable Brands CEOs to work off the hours stolen from their employees and franchisers.

After reading a lot of interviews with RFG franchise holders, gently caress them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

we should really regulate how franchises are sold in Australia--most are sold on the lie that the business model will just rake in free cash (it won't, and then the idiots who bought them either go under or steal wages to break even)

e: I mean we do 'regulate' it but it needs some bloody teeth

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 14, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's almost like there might be some kind of underlying problem with capitalism LAZY SHIRKERS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

we should really regulate how franchises are sold in Australia--most are sold on the lie that the business model will just rake in free cash (it won't, and then the idiots who bought them either go under or steal wages to break even)

e: I mean we do 'regulate' it but it needs some bloody teeth

Sixteen in the clip and one in my notes
Bill Shorten's 'bout to make some cappos turn cold
Now they cuttin' my taxes
It's a tad bit late
B Short and Albaneez had to regulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

c'est magnifique

Awww, suspended sentence after 10 days jail? What kind of beauty is that? And even after the whole court case the guy isn't even remorseful.

• Locked thread