Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

im not even sure theyre gonna even win a house anymore. theres still 6 months till voting day, 6 months for republicans to campaign on trying to turn out their base, and 6 months for dems to campaign on trying to demoralize their base.

Yeah well, to be fair, hated of a sitting president is a pretty good motivator in a midterm election, if 2010 was any indication. I think they'll (barely) take the House; it will just be in spite of the Dem leadership and not because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
a not insignificant portion of the democratic party does not even believe in a relationship where the actions of the party itself can have a demoralizing effect on its base

that is hilarious

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i am the walrus

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i somehow didnt process until this literal exact second that the guy who blew Scalise's dick and balls off at a baseball game looks like IRL Walter Sobchak, what the gently caress

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i am the walrus

Vladimir Ilych Ulyanov, Donny!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*racks pistol slide* AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GIVES A gently caress ABOUT FUNCTIONING GOVERNMENT?!

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

yep. nailed it. a big part of this smear originated with good ole Chris Murphy of CT. a Clinton lapdog and centrist shithead.

he’s actually decent on fp (for a democrat at least)

which made his total subservience to the clintons all the more maddening

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
*1 month before mid-term elections*

"ayy yo we gotta get our base to vote, what're we gonna do"

*passes that fukken blue lives matter bill*

"blue weevvvvvv, BLOO WEEEEVVVVVV"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paranoid randroid posted:

*racks pistol slide* AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GIVES A gently caress ABOUT FUNCTIONING GOVERNMENT?!

MARK IT NAY

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Office Pig posted:

i just blue myself

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
realtalk its severely griping my freaking cookies that obama saw fit to stick his snoot into the CA senate race by endorsing Feinstein when not even our idiot dipshit state party saw fit to issue an endorsement one way or the other

not that de Leon had much more than a distant fighting chance in the first place to break the murderous stranglehold that Norcal has on national office (may their bones be crushed)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
obama is an actively malignant political force and it's made all the worse by his relative youth and potential longevity

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Office Pig posted:

obama is an actively malignant political force and it's made all the worse by his relative youth and potential longevity

what really burns me is that if you're even some total lanyard looking for cheap #nevertrump kudos, de Leon is still so, so, so much better than Feinstein at that role its not even funny. im sort of skeptical of the dude because he's a little too good at talking out both sides of his mouth to both serious business interests and actual leftists, but the fact remains he talks a good game. hes Newsom level at the very least when it comes to political windsock instinct, and dicking him over in favor of someone who should have retired, like, yesterday is just loving stupid

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

How much sway does Obama even have? Like, with the Californian race, has it had a noticeable difference?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nichael posted:

How much sway does Obama even have? Like, with the Californian race, has it had a noticeable difference?

None. Feinstein was always going to win, given that de Leon had no interest in actually beating her. If he wanted to be part of the solution and not part of the problem, he would have backed someone like Hartson. She wouldn’t have won, but it would have raised the profile of a non-conservative Dem who has a lot of grassroots support.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:21 on May 14, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nichael posted:

i just blue myself

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ras, this is not the Michigan primary, there are rules.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Majorian posted:

Yeah well, to be fair, hated of a sitting president is a pretty good motivator in a midterm election, if 2010 was any indication. I think they'll (barely) take the House; it will just be in spite of the Dem leadership and not because of it.

the dems will assume this means centrism has never been more popular and will continue to punch left, of course

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/josiensor/status/995971703896408064?s=21

not all heroes wear capes

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Maybe we should hold the police, DAs, and judges criminally and civilly liable if too many gun stores in their jurisdiction are breaking the law without consequence.

Congress has legally prohibited holding stores accountable for illegal sales. It's basically known which stores are doing it, but ATF isn't allowed to check on them more than once a year, and there are a million other bureaucratic/legal barriers the gun rights lobby has successfully erected to block this enforcement strategy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Take the guns from the wealthy and the police, give em to the homeless

nah
Mar 16, 2009

replace the separators on hostile design benches with holsters

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Put hinges on them so they can be adjusted and clamp down. It'll keep blankets on the homeless laying there so they won't accidentally lose their cover in the wind

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Next you will recommend government blanket programs.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/55Counties/status/995833294989082624?s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a knock on effect of my Melt All Guns plan would be demilitarizing the police as they wouldnt have to be "afraid" of every Hank, Albert, and Cletus pulling a hand cannon out of their glove box during a traffic stop

vote for me in 2020, ill be running on the Never loving Ever ticket

guns were illegal in Chicago for decades yet cops there were some of the worst in the country at nonstop brutality

cops can't be fixed without abolishing the first amendment and changing all the movies and TV shows showing cops in nonstop danger

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Being the constitutional originalist that I am, I believe we should abolish the police and return to the law enforcement model this great nation used in it's early days: state sanctioned bounty hunters and posses

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
A gang of democratically appointed constables and deputies.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Office Pig posted:

at this rate you're right, we're going to end up with blue weev

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mastershakeman posted:

guns were illegal in Chicago for decades yet cops there were some of the worst in the country at nonstop brutality

cops can't be fixed without abolishing the first amendment and changing all the movies and TV shows showing cops in nonstop danger

Banning guns in a city when you can easily buy guns everywhere else is completely useless, this doesn't seem like much of a data point.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GodFish posted:

why should gun manufacturers be sued for someone shooting someone with a gun they made? That's like suing a car company for someone intentionally running people over with a car

because it would hurt the companies, putting ~free market~ pressure on them to do something about gun violence to in order to avoid the economic risks of being sued

the idea has a lot of flaws, and probably wouldn't have amounted to much even if it had passed, but given the state of American politics I can't really blame them for trying weird poo poo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Banning guns in a city when you can easily buy guns everywhere else is completely useless, this doesn't seem like much of a data point.

you have to ban guns in south carolina and georgia where all the guns transported up to chicago were originally purchased

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

a reasonable point which lets me elegantly segue into discussing my second term Melt All Cops plan

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

they sell guns to the drug dealers OP, well, hope that helps.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Lambert posted:

That would imply that banning guns wouldn't work unless you literally dis-invent arms and munitions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

because it would hurt the companies, putting ~free market~ pressure on them to do something about gun violence to in order to avoid the economic risks of being sued

the idea has a lot of flaws, and probably wouldn't have amounted to much even if it had passed, but given the state of American politics I can't really blame them for trying weird poo poo

hey remember every time a judge sentenced a company to bankruptcy because their product killed people

oh wait lol liberals never want to accomplish anything besides “pressure”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On the one hand, that was non-sequitur as poo poo

"Plenty of Democrats take money from the NRA! Like... Bernie Sanders... doesn't do that thing I just said, but here's an unrelated thing I'm mad at him about, yes, he was the first example that came to mind for some reason"

but on the other hand I don't really blame David Hogg for being mad at every politician rn and talking about people's flaws no matter what "team" they're on is extremely my poo poo as long as you're not being disingenuous about it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
some rich liberal kids went through the same kind of trauma routinely visited upon kids in brown countries there's only so much you can expect from their response

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise
The Hogg's got donut parents, I don't really blame him too much. If he's still like this by 25, then the brain worms were terminal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a reasonable point which lets me elegantly segue into discussing my second term Melt All Cops plan

hm yes now I'm listening

• Locked thread