Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Crayvex posted:

:munch: Looks like I returned to CA just in time...when do we start talking about synthetic oil?

I've run Shell Rotella T6 diesel truck oil in every motorcycle I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I’ve decided I don’t need a car and only want a biek. Please don’t talk me out of this with logic! (The truth is my new BMW F800ST will be my only vehicle but I’ve lived in Switzerland for almost two years without a car and only relying on public transport.)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey guys I need to know the proper way to back it in. I'm supposed to lock up the rear until it slides out and I'm going sideways and then suddenly let off the rear brake while hammering the throttle so that it transitions to spinning, right?
And how do I get my knee down while I'm doing it?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Actually ABS and Traction control are more dangerous because i read half of twist of the wrist and due to survival instincts and furthermore I also

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fitting a high mileage car tire to the back wheel of a motorcycle is perfectly acceptable and not as dangerous as Big Tire wants you to believe

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bald tires stick better because the is more contact area.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

Fitting a high mileage car tire to the back wheel of a motorcycle is perfectly acceptable and not as dangerous as Big Tire wants you to believe

Please don’t quote the advrider.txt thread here

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't believe that "lound pipes save lives" or anything stupid like that, but when I went from my unbaffled VTR1000F to my relatively quiet 1250 Bandit, I did seem to become noticably less visible to car drivers around me. Full disclosure, the VTR was red and the bandit is a darker purplish colour so its entirely possible the VTR was just easier to see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have had crazy open exhausts and stock exhausts and I’ve noticed no difference. My closest call with traffic was on a DRZ with an open MRD exhaust. Didn’t matter.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Carth Dookie posted:

I don't believe that "lound pipes save lives" or anything stupid like that, but when I went from my unbaffled VTR1000F to my relatively quiet 1250 Bandit, I did seem to become noticably less visible to car drivers around me. Full disclosure, the VTR was red and the bandit is a darker purplish colour so its entirely possible the VTR was just easier to see.

Maybe it is confirmation bias?

Edit: she driving I never hear bikes until they have already passed me.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Having a vehicle that is audibly noticeable can make you more noticeable.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want an aftermarket exhaust because I find engine noises aesthetically pleasing. I don't want to even pretend it's some kind of safety argument. There's an opera in my downpipes that needs to be sung.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Unless your exhaust is angled forward, I don't think anyone is going to hear it until you ride past them

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Plus people have their music blasting with the windows up and the AC cranked. Most of the time they can't even hear sirens. Even if they could, they would be too busy on their phone to hear it.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Why would you even want to assume that other people can notice you? "This guy isn't going to flatten me because my pipes are loud" has probably been someone's final coherent thought before "OH poo poo" at one point in time.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Leader bike life.

Because... uh... I might need to accelerate out of danger.

dema fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 13, 2018

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

dema posted:

Leader bike life.

(It’s liter bike)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not on Craigslist it’s not

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My bike is a leader.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Day Man posted:

(It’s liter bike)

No, pretty sure leader is right. Since they're the fastest they're always leading.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My bike is 1.2 liters and is perfectly suited for the road.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

No, pretty sure leader is right. Since they're the fastest they're always leading.

But where are they going?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Into the back of a car at three times the posted speed limit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tjones posted:

But where are they going?

Straight to liveleak

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dema posted:

Leader bike life.

Its also called not being a limp-wristed pussy in some social circles as well. Congrats.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1980 CB125T

I was too dumb to take it out somewhere and take good pictures before starting work so you get a lovely cellphone picture. Needs new points, spark advancer, crank seal and gently caress all else really, after that it's just ride and enjoy until my MB100 is done, then it gets taken apart proper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have always liked the way those bikes look. The styling isnt mindblowing, but its very well done

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I took my MSF on that bike, it was great

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm surprised you guys got the 125 twin, seems like one of those 'too fun for americans' type of deals. They're fairly rare here and it was $700 so why the gently caress not.

Evidently a contender for the most poweful 4 stroke 125 production bike IN THE WOORRRLLD.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's a real pretty babby UJM :3:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The cable operated disc brake on those things is one of the worst ideas anybody's ever had

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

???? That’s a hydro front brake though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The cable operated disc brake on those things is one of the worst ideas anybody's ever had

I've been told this by multiple greybeards yet mine works really good, better than most hydraulics on old bikes I've experienced. I guess I'm just lucky? I'll take it apart and lube everything anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait that really is a cable? It sure looks like a hydraulic fitting. Wow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it's a cable. The caliper is one solid unit and the cable pushes on the piston. The caliper itself is mounted on a pivot so the whole thing moves perpendicular to the disc surface. Brilliant from a production standpoint, not great when water creeps down the cable and into the caliper.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

Unless your exhaust is angled forward, I don't think anyone is going to hear it until you ride past them

That's not the way sound works, do you think when you're stopped at a light no one in front of you can hear you?

Loud pipes definitely make you more noticeable, but I'm confident 99% of people who utter the phrase "loud pipes save lives" are just using it as an excuse to be obnoxious.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Been doing a fair amount of this kind of stuff lately. Long, straight dirt roads are fantastic, though ridges like this around here tend to require steep, winding ascents (and descents) on dirt which still makes me pretty nervous on this bike even after a couple seasons of it. Really I should get a dual sport, but this little bike is ergonomically comfortable and mechanically pretty brain-dead simple (aside from the EFI stuff which is simple as these things go, but I have not attempted to do anything with.)

My rear brake squeaks and is probably the factory drum after 10,000 miles so I need to see about ordering that.

If anyone can get me a metal cover for the air cooler (2009 Bullet 500) it's worth a lot to me; I've been completely unsuccessful in sourcing it, including through a dealer who was going through the Enfield mothership. Mine fell off on VA RT 66 at some point and I was not able to locate it. (This is a basically cosmetic piece of metal, triangular, and maybe 5" deep and 10" long, with an Enfield logo on it). Mine is black but I'd settle for a pink one, paint I can buy.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 17, 2018

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If anyone can get me a metal cover for the air cooler (2009 Bullet 500) it's worth a lot to me; I've been completely unsuccessful in sourcing it, including through a dealer who was going through the Enfield mothership. Mine fell off on VA RT 66 at some point and I was not able to locate it. (This is a basically cosmetic piece of metal, triangular, and maybe 5" deep and 10" long, with an Enfield logo on it). Mine is black but I'd settle for a pink one, paint I can buy.

Not listed as the right year but maybe this will still fit? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Royal-Enfield-Bullet-500-AIR-BOX-CLEANER-COVER-HOUSING/312002885235?hash=item48a4d23673:g:74gAAOSwCtJaCvoZ

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I just realized another advantage of disc brakes. When your braking surface runs out of serviceable material, you don't have to respoke the wheel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Looks like a fun little bike. What part of VA are you in?