Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

nm posted:

Water polo exists and is both white and violent as gently caress.

It really is. The Blood in the Water match between Hungry and USSR at the 1956 Olympics is a match of legends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_in_the_Water_match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

Do you have network smart switch on? Depending on how you have it set up, it can make wifi calling almost useless if you have even a little network connection

I can't find that on my phone, I even searched for it. Does it go by a different name?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just spent over an hour rebuilding my garden shredder, only to find the reason it wasn't working was a duff extension lead fuse.

gently caress's sake.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CornHolio posted:

I can't find that on my phone, I even searched for it. Does it go by a different name?

In the advanced settings of the wifi, under Adaptive Wifi. Smart switch is what Samsung used to call it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I just spent over an hour rebuilding my garden shredder, only to find the reason it wasn't working was a duff extension lead fuse.

gently caress's sake.

Did you improve it while you were in there?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did you improve it while you were in there?
Not much to improve! They're simple beasts, basically a flywheel with cutting blades attached to an electric motor.

But made a start on chewing through the monster pile of brambles I've generated from clearign my back garden a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

gently caress's sake.

Sounds just like when I troubleshoot anything, ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I replaced my outdoor power receptacle one year after I plugged a Christmas decoration into it and it didn't light up.

It was daylight, and the decoration had a light sensor built in.

I also replaced the fuel pump on my old Volvo 240 since it wasn't running. Turns out it was because the computer's fuse holder failed and it wasn't getting 12V. The really poo poo thing here is I ate a tow charge when I was ill equipped to do so, and I could've fixed it in five minutes in the gas station where it stopped.

I kinda suck at diagnostics sometimes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Not much to improve! They're simple beasts, basically a flywheel with cutting blades attached to an electric motor.

But made a start on chewing through the monster pile of brambles I've generated from clearign my back garden a bit.

I lent one to a workmate and he said sorry, he broke it and gave me £40, which I think I'd more than I paid for it originally. Turns out he'd just fed it stringy crap and it jammed. When I had it apart I cleaned decades of gum and sap out of it and reversed the blades, they're often double sided and no one ever changes or sharpens them. I gave him the money back.

Err, what I meant to say was you didn't V8 swap it? For shame.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I spent a morning trying to diagnose why my heated rear window wasn't clearing and after a few hours of tracking down wiring diagrams, tracing wires and calculating the logic behind the system, I realised that it was just dirty.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress does a refrigerator need wifi?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

So it can check it's Facebook account.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tide posted:

It doesn't, but the company that designed and markets that fridge needs to increase market share and profitability. You can't just sell a fridge, you have to sell a lifestyle plus Internet of things and check your yogurt using your onboard wifi enabled camera. The share holders demand it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tide posted:

So more poo poo can go wrong with it, forcing you to buy another one.

My fridge crashed, BSOD

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

So it can join a botnet.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There's also something called 'Sabbath mode' for observant Jews?

Huh?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^
That's actually a thing that's been around forever. It keeps the light from clicking on when you open the fridge because apparently G-d doesn't want you to do that. For fun, google "sabbath elevators."

KakerMix posted:

It doesn't, but the company that designed and markets that fridge needs to increase market share and profitability. You can't just sell a fridge, you have to sell a lifestyle plus Internet of things and check your yogurt using your onboard wifi enabled camera. The share holders demand it.

I almost wouldn't hate it if this was all it did, but apparently you can control all sorts of poo poo with your phone like temperature. Gonna be real fun when the holes are found and 14 years olds melt everything in your freezer and freeze everything in your fridge while the having the display repear over and over "Is your refrigerator running? Better go catch it."
And it will not be patched because these are fridge companies, not tech companies.

I want all my appliances dumb as a bag of rocks, thank you.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

I replaced my outdoor power receptacle one year after I plugged a Christmas decoration into it and it didn't light up.

It was daylight, and the decoration had a light sensor built in.

I also replaced the fuel pump on my old Volvo 240 since it wasn't running. Turns out it was because the computer's fuse holder failed and it wasn't getting 12V. The really poo poo thing here is I ate a tow charge when I was ill equipped to do so, and I could've fixed it in five minutes in the gas station where it stopped.

I spent ten minutes trying to start my new-to-me line 2 stroke line trimmer the other morning only to realise it had no spark plug.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

The MP knockoffs are all of various quality but they all hold together in vehicle mode just find. I have severa; lambos, datsuns, lancias and a Corvette on a shelf. They look too good as cars to turn them back in to robots.

The GoBots and Wheeljack haven’t been transformed in probably 15 years. My Jazz and Meister haven’t been pretty much since I got them. Mainly because they display more easily as cars. Also remembered I have the Optimus Prime as a Dodge RAM SRT-10, and a first movie Bumblebee (new Camaro). I spotted a 3-piece set of Bumblebee as a first- second- and fifth-gen Camaro. Not that I need more stuff to clutter shelves. I have a stupid amount of toy cars, action figures and models, most of which are packed in boxes right now. I need to buy several of those Detolf display cabinets fro IKEA so I can put them out.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Today in "I want to talk about nerdy poo poo that isn't Transformers, how about PUBG" stories:

My squad of three (our usual rotation of 4ths were all out doing wife-mom stuff) helped a likely developmentally disabled (based on his chat) random 4th who's played over 500 games in his career and has a lifetime K/D of 0.10 get his first Chicken Dinner Ever as we racked up 3 for the first half of today's session.

Basically we're the Make-a-Wish Foundation at this point.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tide posted:

Huh?

What about Black Sabbath mode

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's called a boombox with a Black Sabbath mixtape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

The GoBots and Wheeljack haven’t been transformed in probably 15 years. My Jazz and Meister haven’t been pretty much since I got them. Mainly because they display more easily as cars. Also remembered I have the Optimus Prime as a Dodge RAM SRT-10, and a first movie Bumblebee (new Camaro). I spotted a 3-piece set of Bumblebee as a first- second- and fifth-gen Camaro. Not that I need more stuff to clutter shelves. I have a stupid amount of toy cars, action figures and models, most of which are packed in boxes right now. I need to buy several of those Detolf display cabinets fro IKEA so I can put them out.

My man!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Today in "I want to talk about nerdy poo poo that isn't Transformers, how about PUBG" stories:

My squad of three (our usual rotation of 4ths were all out doing wife-mom stuff) helped a likely developmentally disabled (based on his chat) random 4th who's played over 500 games in his career and has a lifetime K/D of 0.10 get his first Chicken Dinner Ever as we racked up 3 for the first half of today's session.

We played last night and just sucked all night. Like didn’t last 5 minutes stuff. Finally made it to 4th and called it a night. When we’re missing a 4th we usually just play 3-man squads.

Rhyno posted:

My man!

I managed to hold on to a lot of my childhood stuff. I am blessed with a mom that actually understands that this stuff has value, so she didn’t chuck it all before I had a house to put it in. I also have a stupid number of Hot Wheels. One of these days I’ll unpack them all again. Used to have them out in my apartment when I was a bachelor. Still have a fair amount out in my office.
Hopefully I can sell them for a shitload of money when I’m retired and near destitute.

Edit: come to think of it, I think I have a small box of G1 Transformers around here somewhere. gently caress if I can remember what I have. Also several boxes of comics. Ditto. Don’t think anything particularly valuable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I stupidly sold all my kid stuff when I turned 21. Modern nerd culture is nice because there's updated versions of everything I loved as a kid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I stupidly sold all my kid stuff when I turned 21. Modern nerd culture is nice because there's updated versions of everything I loved as a kid.

Could I interest you in a shitload of the ‘80s 3.5” GI Joes? I have like 2 of the storage carriers of figures, and a big pile of vehicles, including the F-15 and the Joe base. Don’t have the aircraft carrier or the space shuttle, though. I should have a local shop sell those for me on commission or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Could I interest you in a shitload of the ‘80s 3.5” GI Joes? I have like 2 of the storage carriers of figures, and a big pile of vehicles, including the F-15 and the Joe base. Don’t have the aircraft carrier or the space shuttle, though. I should have a local shop sell those for me on commission or something.

If they're complete you might make some decent cash on them. I think GIJ stuff always holds value.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just got a pile of comic books from when I was a kid.

At least one of them might have a va-jay-jay doodled on one of the girl x-men. In pen. :v:

E: My mom found then and gave them to me, and tbqh, I'm not really interested in keeping them. I should go through them and see what I've got.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's actually a thing that's been around forever. It keeps the light from clicking on when you open the fridge because apparently G-d doesn't want you to do that. For fun, google "sabbath elevators.

What I find amusing about religious rules like this is while it's wrong for observant Jews to push the button (etc) to make a machine operate on the sabbath, there's nothing wrong with using the machine on the sabbath if someone not of the faith pushes the button first.

Same thing with the Amish. One of my early jobs was delivering interior trim and doors to new construction homes. Ran across more than one Amish flooring or roofing crew using a gas-powered air compressor and pneumatic nailers, despite their entire religion/society eschewing any technology invented after the 18th century.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 14, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's actually a thing that's been around forever. It keeps the light from clicking on when you open the fridge because apparently G-d doesn't want you to do that. For fun, google "sabbath elevators."

Sabbath mobility scooters are even more amusing. It's not kosher to directly switch a high current motor, but it is to trigger an overgrown 555 timer that will randomly engage the motor.

Religious rule lawyering.

Also the only smarts I want out of my appliances is I'd like a remote alert to know my laundry machines are done, and even then I don't want to pay more for it. Everything else will stay dumb as long as I can get away with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

usually just play 3-man squads.

Yeah, we usually do too but at a certain point it gets old getting rekt at Pochinki or Pecado or wherever because we're down at the very least "a fourth target for the 3 other squads who landed with us to shoot at", let alone someone who might actually return fire/be useful, so today we were just running with the randos and had a good time. Our new pro strat is to tell whoever the +1 is that "We've won the last 3 games, don't gently caress it up" and they seem to play more cautiously/more team oriented.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tide posted:

Huh?

My stove has a Sabbath mode, where you can set it to come on the day before and it will begin cooking at the preset time. Because that isn't "work", while actually setting the dial when you need it, is "work".

Taking your cooked lamb or whatever out of the oven is ok, apparently. ما شاء الله

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On sabbath mode for fridges, I have but one question for those who refuse to roll on shabbos.

Doesn't opening and closing the door on most modern fridges kick over (by some means) at least one relay in response to the thermodynamic catastrophe that's just occured? A relay is a switch.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Fun fact: all ovens have a mode for observant Jews called "on".

... Please forgive me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
18 miles of pro religious rules lawyering. https://nypost.com/2015/05/24/high-wire-strewn-through-city-lets-jews-keep-the-faith/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Religion is weird.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I heard somewhere that Mormons have to wear some kind of special underwear for a ceremony or something lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's one of these in Tempe and I never knew it was there until an article ran about it. The only specific part of it I've ever seen is a line over the 101 southbound offramp onto Warner.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I heard somewhere that Mormons have to wear some kind of special underwear for a ceremony or something lol.

Even more fun when you apparently exude mormonness and someone you've never met sees you wearing an undershirt and asks if you're endowed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

If I act like a child with a terminal illness will you help me finally get the dinner I deserve? I got to 3rd once solo.

Most of the time in squad I spend accurately calling out partially concealed snipers so the Chinese gold farmers I am playing with can dodge them and get to the boat where they camp out for the rest of the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^

There's two parts of Dallas (the city, not the county) that's orthodox Jews.

Making deliveries in a Sabbath elevator is great.. if you're only going up 1 or 2 floors. :sigh: It gets old in a hurry if you're going much further.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's one of these in Tempe and I never knew it was there until an article ran about it. The only specific part of it I've ever seen is a line over the 101 southbound offramp onto Warner.

We have two eruvs in Dallas (see my above link)

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Fun fact: all ovens have a mode for observant Jews called "on".

... Please forgive me.

:catstare:

• Locked thread