Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
OSHA Hazard - Rusty rear end little scrappin' Truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51nZ5mNTWfU

Mostly just wanted to post this because god drat this is a good rear end use of the Sanford and Son theme.

The best part of the comments:

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/4wC6afl.mp4

and bonus

https://i.imgur.com/X2nNtnF.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Platystemon posted:

There is a kernel of truth to what your father is saying.

That is indeed what is going on in the long term.

Oh I'm perfectly aware of the long term growth of the chain as the plates moved, but that he thinks it's the plate movement causing the eastward march of the rifts in this eruption that shocked me. I guess one of the side effects of a much longer life span than those several generations ago had is that we get to see the effects of old age more. Hell, I'm way over the average lifespan of a human in 1950 myself, let alone my father.

Edit: ^^^ That was an expensive drive-by. Why in the world was the Quantas Airbus backed out so far from the gate?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Carbon dioxide posted:

French tourists get out of their car in a cheetah enclosure in a drive-through Safari park in the Netherlands.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-44086107/cheetahs-chase-family-at-safari-park

They're drat lucky that little child wasn't mauled.

They're lucky it was cheetahs who aren't top predator in their own environment and who are behaviorally more skittish and less aggressive than say lions or tigers. Dolph C. Volker has a lot of big cat videos on youtube and cheetahs in particular.

E: I guess this was all hashed out a while ago, I take too long to check up on this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Locator posted:

Edit: ^^^ That was an expensive drive-by. Why in the world was the Quantas Airbus backed out so far from the gate?

That was a Turkish Airlines A321, not Qantas.
https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20180513-0

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I like the guy (luggage handler crew?) who is like, "Um... pardon me captain. Excuse me. A thing happened."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ah, thanks. We get neither of them here and I thought it sort of looked like the pictures of Qantas I've seen. Thanks. According to that report, the Turkish A321 had just arrived, but it looks like the ground crew were not in place so they must have been waiting for them to show up to guide them in that last little bit. Just seemed weird that it was so far away from the gate just sitting there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Slanderer posted:

I thought it was closed from like 2011-2014 from the earthquake, and 2016-now to modernize the elevator?

Yep, the current closure is not because of the earthquake.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just looked up the midway atoll and look what they have:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Piggy Smalls posted:

Thank you!!! I think the “Emergency 51 tones” were badass. Can anyone buy and use a MOTOROLA MINITOR TONE Pager and use it to listen to my city fire department tones?

Pick up a "RTL-SDR" dongle and you can listen to basically any unencrypted radio in your area.

There are literally hundreds of vendors selling these things so they're dirt cheap and they can tune across the majority of the spectrum you'll hear audio on. I like the kit these guys sell as a beginner package: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

There are applications that'll act as a scanner, there are applications that can receive ADS-B transmissions from aircraft, AIS from ships, weather satellites, all sorts of things. There's not a dedicated SDR thread here AFAIK but if you're interested they get discussed a lot in the amateur radio and shortwave threads.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wolrah posted:

Pick up a "RTL-SDR" dongle and you can listen to basically any unencrypted radio in your area.

There are literally hundreds of vendors selling these things so they're dirt cheap and they can tune across the majority of the spectrum you'll hear audio on. I like the kit these guys sell as a beginner package: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

There are applications that'll act as a scanner, there are applications that can receive ADS-B transmissions from aircraft, AIS from ships, weather satellites, all sorts of things. There's not a dedicated SDR thread here AFAIK but if you're interested they get discussed a lot in the amateur radio and shortwave threads.

I tried SDR sharp a few months ago and couldn't get my head around it

What software would you recommend for a moron?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the thing about Australia is that for most of the land mass there's zero measurable population:

The people living in the coastal suburban zones are pretty much safe from all the big bushfires, it's really only those areas where the population spreads inland that there's much danger of large numbers of people getting caught in catastrophic fires and those communities will be very aware of the danger and will all have emergency plans in place. Even then, the state of Victoria had a simultaneous outbreak of over 400 fires back in '09 during an extreme heatwave which resulted in 173 deaths, the worst bushfire disaster in our recorded history.

Australia's worst natural disasters (not counting historical flu pandemics or outbreaks of plague) are actually heatwaves. There's usually more deaths attributed to the heatwaves that lead to bushfires than the fires themselves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_Australia_by_death_toll

im the lonely dot right in the middle

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

A crane operator working on the FIU bridge left the deadly scene — in his crane

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Blast of Confetti posted:

im the lonely dot right in the middle

You don't want to be alice springs, man

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, some guy snuck an alien bomb in and blew up the elevator by mistake.

ickna
May 19, 2004

spog posted:

I suggest HDSDR

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah the thing about Australia is that for most of the land mass there's zero measurable population:

Fun fact: if you took Earth's population and spread it evenly across the surface, dumping 75% of people straight into the oceans/water, Australia's population would almost quadruple

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for real tho who are those guys living exactly in the middle of australia thousands of miles away from everyone else

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spog posted:

I like SDR#, I don't really think there's much simpler out there.

Follow the guide here to get started: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

This is a screenshot of it running on my PC right now tuned in to a local FM broadcast station at 98.5 MHz.

The frequency setting is at the top. You can mouse over the digits and scroll, you can click the tops/bottoms of the digits, you can click in the field and type, or you can just click directly on the spectrum visualization.

It should automatically change modes for common bands, but as a general rule Wide FM is for broadcast, Narrow FM is most other VHF/UHF voice, and AM or the two single-sideband variants will be most common on lower frequencies

The spectrum display shows the entire range being captured by the SDR, the highlighted portion is the channel I'm tuned in to. The bandwidth setting controls how wide this is off of the center frequency and will be automatically adjusted to sane defaults with each mode. The lower "waterfall" section shows the history of the waveform being captured. It's not really interesting when looking at broadcast FM but can be helpful in finding signals when monitoring ham or public safety bands. In my screenshot you can see the two flat sidebands outside of the selected area, those are the HD Radio signal.

If you have further questions, rather than derail this thread let's take it over to the Amateur Radio thread since apparently the Shortwave thread has fallen off to the archives. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

ickna posted:

I suggest HDSDR

IMO HDSDR isn't any easier to understand and has a more non-standard UI, where SDR# at least feels like a standard Windows application.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 14, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

for real tho who are those guys living exactly in the middle of australia thousands of miles away from everyone else

50% tourist trap employees flown in from more attractive states, 50% generationally unemployed people with fewer prospects for the future than teeth.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I know some astronomers that would love to be that isolated.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Gunshow Poophole posted:

that analysis of the earthquake impact being exacerbated by human building standards is neat hadn't really thought about that

well like of course it is, it's really obvious from a brief look of earthquake casualty numbers. Besides the obvious example of 2010 Haiti (a 7.0 is bad but holy gently caress it shouldn't be 100k + bad) perhaps even more striking is Italy : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Italy . Keep in mind that a (quoting from wiki here) Mw of 7.0 releases about 32 times as much energy as one of 6.0 and nearly 1,000 times that of 5.0 . So to see these two low 6's in the past decade kill around 300 people each is just ridiculous for a modernized relatively rich country, and showcases how building standards reduce the death toll by orders of a magnitude (and Italian corruption). Right at the top of the list you have a 4.2 leading to a couple deaths and 40! injuries from things like structures collapsing which is just fuckin' insane -- a 4.2 should be a barely noticeable rumble. For comparison, fracking states like Oklahoma have seen a surge in earthquakes with 4.0-4.5 being relatively common and even ones as large as mid 5's. As far as I know there have been several injuries cumulatively from all of them and no deaths. Of course the magnitude doesn't tell the whole story and there are other factors which play a large roll but there's a clear discrepancy between the two countries in building standards.

It's a lot like "snowstorms" in the south of the US. It doesn't take more than a light dusting on the highway to overwhelm both peoples skills and experience, but also the infrastructure. Preparation, planning, and proper infrastructure can mean the difference of hundreds of thousands of lives.

tsa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 14, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's some really tiny towns out there in the middle of nowhere. Alice Springs is practically smack in the middle of the continent and is the third largest town of the Northern Territory.

It has a population of about 23,000 in its whole urban area.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tsa posted:

well like of course it is, it's really obvious from a brief look of earthquake casualty numbers. Besides the obvious example of 2010 Haiti (a 7.0 is bad but holy gently caress it shouldn't be 100k + bad) perhaps even more striking is Italy : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Italy . Keep in mind that a (quoting from wiki here) Mw of 7.0 releases about 32 times as much energy as one of 6.0 and nearly 1,000 times that of 5.0 . So to see these two low 6's in the past decade kill around 300 people each is just ridiculous for a modernized relatively rich country, and showcases how building standards reduce the death toll by orders of a magnitude (and Italian corruption). Right at the top of the list you have a 4.2 leading to a couple deaths and many injuries from things like structures collapsing which is just fuckin' insane -- a 4.2 should be a barely noticeable rumble. For comparison, fracking states like Oklahoma have seen a surge in earthquakes with 4.0-4.5 being relatively common and even ones as large as mid 5's. As far as I know there have been several injuries cumulatively from all of them and no deaths. Of course the magnitude doesn't tell the whole story and there are other factors which play a large roll but there's a clear discrepancy between the two countries in building standards.

It's a lot like "snowstorms" in the south of the US. It doesn't take more than a light dusting on the highway to overwhelm both peoples skills and experience, but also the infrastructure. Location and preparation can mean the difference of hundreds of thousands of lives.

Italy has a lot more old stone buildings than the US I would think, see that medieval church collapse that killed a bunch of people during a quake some years back for example

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
well yea, it has a lot of old lovely buildings they haven't modernized that's kinda the point

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah yea, didn't think of upgrading old buildings, just about building standards for new buildings. good point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

There's some really tiny towns out there in the middle of nowhere. Alice Springs is practically smack in the middle of the continent and is the third largest town of the Northern Territory.

It has a population of about 23,000 in its whole urban area.

Yeah it's a poo poo hole, I just took a tour through the city centre in Google Maps street view and it's pretty depressing.

One of my uncles live in Darwin way up north in that state and he's an alcoholic dying from cirrhosis and he's got something like 12 kids and 40 grandkids because there's nothing to do up there except drink and gently caress.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Alice Springs is practically smack in the middle of the continent and is the third largest town of the Northern Territory.
lmao I only know they exist because Outback Steakhouse named a dish after them

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFxY7j9ZkY

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Splicer posted:

Yeah, some guy snuck an alien bomb in and blew up the elevator by mistake.

Good thing Spider-Man was on a school field trip!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ABffc10.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

One of my uncles live in Darwin way up north in that state and he's an alcoholic dying from cirrhosis and he's got something like 12 kids and 40 grandkids because there's nothing to do up there except drink and gently caress.

Uhmm

What else is there???

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Badass :black101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

OK, I noticed the plaque probably in 2012 and the last time I was in DC we didn't go to the monument.

Still, though, "historic joint filler".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol privatized contract emergency services.

Somebody dropped a coil of steel sheet on his leg today and was delayed over half an hour getting to the hospital because the first ambulance on scene overheated in the parking lot and the second went to the wrong goddamn plant

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

this rules

What is it?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

lol privatized contract emergency services.

Somebody dropped a coil of steel sheet on his leg today and was delayed over half an hour getting to the hospital because the first ambulance on scene overheated in the parking lot and the second went to the wrong goddamn plant

They might as well drive hearses to save time. City Skylines got this right.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nenonen posted:

Uhmm

What else is there???

I mean you can try loving without drinking, but it gets boring fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

this rules

What is it?

Silo demolition.