Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I played it at PAX East and it's a pretty fun, simple game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Only $60? That was easy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

One of my tabletop buddies pointed me to this, and while the concept seems promising there's too many warning flags for any of us to even consider investing. (First-time KS, meh content, numerous possibilities for failure on the technical end.) Any thoughts here?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stagdevs/table-top-ar

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Four individual S2 box sets, each of which has four decks of cards apiece, like five different cellophane-wrapped decks of promo stretch goal cards, a fairly thick art/story guide, and a neoprene play mat all rolled up. Maybe there's something else, I forgot. Oh, and a thank you note.

Note that the max number of decks I can fit in one of 4-set boxes is 9. They are *just* small enough that you can't fit some of the decks side by side which is kind of a pain. The poster thingie is in the mat, a bit smaller than I thought but it is still nice.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Also the decks come with tuckboxes. There's around 700 cards altogether. (Sleeved them.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NGDBSS posted:

One of my tabletop buddies pointed me to this, and while the concept seems promising there's too many warning flags for any of us to even consider investing. (First-time KS, meh content, numerous possibilities for failure on the technical end.) Any thoughts here?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stagdevs/table-top-ar

I think that $25,000 for software development outside of the most basic programs is laughably low and that if these guys somehow managed to succeed that they'd be setting themselves up for failure, also it seems kind of gimmicky and pointless to me.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kai Tave posted:

I think that $25,000 for software development outside of the most basic programs is laughably low and that if these guys somehow managed to succeed that they'd be setting themselves up for failure, also it seems kind of gimmicky and pointless to me.

Yeah, that's like one developer for half a year, more or less. That's exactly enough manpower and time to figure out you're in waaaay over your head and you need a bigger budget.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, that's like one developer for half a year, more or less. That's exactly enough manpower and time to figure out you're in waaaay over your head and you need a bigger budget.

I'm reminded of Lab Zero's Kickstarter for a single fighting game character was $150,000. (This also led to one of the best stupid outraged tweets ever that angrily told Lab Zero they were in, quote, 'the game-making business and not the paying rent business.')

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Kai Tave posted:

I think that $25,000 for software development outside of the most basic programs is laughably low and that if these guys someh ow managed to succeed that they'd be setting themselves up for failure, also it seems kind of gimmicky and pointless to me.

Personally i'm super hyped for AR and i would be thrilled to shift things like damage and special orders on my tiny spaceships to fancy "holograms". It also opens up a ton of new design space in general once the tech is mature and widespread enough.

I mean look at this: https://twitter.com/LeapMotion/status/988749463215857664?s=20

https://twitter.com/kineviz/status/983475712899276805?s=20

This particular kickstarter however will produce janky things like the trailer at best.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Are there other Fantasy WWI tabletop RPGs?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eberron, most notably. This feels pretty much like Eberron with worse editing and the word dieselpunk on everything.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tanhauser technically (since in that setting WW1 didn't end.) The setting book isn't out yet but it'll be one of FFG's Genesys lines. Right now it has a basic write up in the core rulebook and and some boardgames.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There's a Cthulhu WW1 setting or two.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

There's a big Great War influence throughout parts of Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms, to which this bears a strikingly similar visual aesthetic.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Got a good update for Root, looks like it's actually proceeding as scheduled, which is a very rare thing indeed. Excited!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Confrontation is currenty trending downwards, which is a shame but not at all unexpected.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hopping on a vacated spot in an early bird tier is a good feeling.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 14, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just backed On Tour, a road trip game that looks light and fun.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 14, 2018

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

cyberia posted:

This looks like it's going to be an amazing trainwreck until the creator rage quits and takes it down.

quote:

Most people would charge 5 times more for AR-VR development so to showcase our respective talents we have set the ultimate stretch goal for $1,000,000 plus.

incredible

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Evil Mastermind posted:

We're there any hints as to what the add-ons are going to be, or was it just a proof of concept?

edit: between this morning and now they've already added an expansion and a chits only tier.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 14, 2018

Henker
May 5, 2009

Their Army Boy looks very heavily "influenced" by Fallout's Pip Boy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

We're there any hints as to what the add-ons are going to be, or was it just a proof of concept?

edit: between this morning and now they've already added an expansion and a chits only tier.

It was just a mostly complete prototype I only got to play for like 10 minutes. They did find a significant issue with the game that they seem to have addressed, though, which is nice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Henker posted:

Their Army Boy looks very heavily "influenced" by Fallout's Pip Boy.

This looks like a very S.P.E V.C.I.A.L. system.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

moths posted:

This looks like a very S.P.E V.C.I.A.L. system.

There’s no way that’s not infringing on the Fallout IP, right?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Dont forget that the creator's website is a Patreon page where he copy pasted most of his material from.

Pretty sure he'll go for the holy trinity and finish off with an IndieGoGo or WeFunder campaign once KS runs out.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bodanarko posted:

There’s no way that’s not infringing on the Fallout IP, right?

Which is itself derived from GURPS. There is nothing new under the sun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Solo movie sounds off the hook.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/995902892237209600?s=19

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I checked on this one again out of curiosity, sitting at a whopping $889, but there was a pretty great comment someone posted:

quote:

So here is a question for all you people who backed this for a dollar just so you could rip the creator a new one.

Why do you care?

If Kickstarter is about anything - surely - its about that Hail Mary play, that game from nowhere that made it big. This? Its probably not going to be that game. But Kickstarter was born out of dreams, and you don't get better dreams by crushing dreamers.

In 'the real world' Gloomhaven was never made. Hundreds - thousands - of games never existed. I never got to play that Rabbit themed 4X game, or that zombie game with miniatures or those fifty other zombie games with miniatures because nobody in the industry would have believed in them.

Back or don't back. Care or don't care. But I have seen more than my fair share of fantasy heartbreakers, and this looks just as creative, just as visionary, just as much a labor of love as hundreds of other titles. Thirty years ago Ed Greenwood was some beady guy with notebooks full of Forgotten Realms notes. Twenty years ago GRR Martin was some beardy guy with a killer D&D campaign. And five years ago, Gloomhaven would have been laughed at.

Just as you are laughing now.

Not all dreams blossom and flourish. Maybe yours got crushed somewhere along the road. I'm sorry for you. But don't feel the need to crush somebody elses.

99% of the time? The world does that without your intervention. But that one percent of the time? When all the forces in the universe align?

That day is glorious.

By "great" of course I mean completely loving wrongheaded in a way that maybe explains how Kickstarters like this one exist in the first place. Kickstarter might have been a magical wonderland where any "dreamer" could get people to pony up cash for napkin scribbles back when crowdfunding was this hot new curiosity but even then a successful Kickstarter was more than simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time to win the Crowdfunding Lottery, and that applies even moreso today years after people on both the production and funding ends have learned (more or less) a number of hard lessons. Gloomhaven did succeed "in the real world," and it succeeded because the creator put a shitload of hard work and effort into both creating a game and managing a Kickstarter. Conversely this guy has posted some children's drawings and an LED hoodie from Ali Baba, his pitch reads like garbage, and nobody knows how the game, if there even is one, plays. The idea that successful projects are simply the due to the whims of fate really devalues the work that a lot of people put into making the actual successes successful.

Also lol at "five years ago Gloomhaven would have been laughed at," sure thing buddy, nobody'd ever heard of dungeon crawler board games before then.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I mean, yeah, you're totally right. This pitch is awful, deserves no funding and anybody trying to say it has a shot is either delusional or lying. But that being said, there's no reason to go mock or insult the creator to his face like that. This project sucks, but unlike a lot of others it's not hurting anybody. So laugh about it to yourself, or on other forums, but there's no need to make the guy even more miserable than he clearly already is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kaza42 posted:

I mean, yeah, you're totally right. This pitch is awful, deserves no funding and anybody trying to say it has a shot is either delusional or lying. But that being said, there's no reason to go mock or insult the creator to his face like that. This project sucks, but unlike a lot of others it's not hurting anybody. So laugh about it to yourself, or on other forums, but there's no need to make the guy even more miserable than he clearly already is.

Yeah, my commentary is less an endorsement of mocking this one particular guy and has more to do with that commenters assessment of how Kickstarter works (a big ol' Hail Mary that you just luck your way into superstardom with) and how that attitude may in fact explain how you continue to see Kickstarters where it's clear the creator didn't do any real homework, they're just throwing poo poo out there and hoping for a lucky roll of the dice.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

Personally i'm super hyped for AR and i would be thrilled to shift things like damage and special orders on my tiny spaceships to fancy "holograms". It also opens up a ton of new design space in general once the tech is mature and widespread enough.

This particular kickstarter however will produce janky things like the trailer at best.

https://www.facebook.com/ArdentRoleplay/
I caught these guys at PAXAUS last year and yeah, the future looks cool as hell.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bloc by Bloc 2nd Edition has a kickstarter up.

Anyone with the first edition care to comment on how it was/how the changes look?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/853413964/bloc-by-bloc-2nd-edition

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kaza42 posted:

:agreed: this is the basic no poop touching rule

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I... I don’t know what this is. :stare:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160613813/jag-the-ultimate-boardgame-about-me

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

As most of the title is in English I have no choice but to believe that the first word is, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm normally a sucker for a supers RPG, but I am unsure of the recently-launched SuperAge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1625564009/superage-role-playing-game?ref=437441&token=c4013a32

I've never quite wrapped my head about anything Powered by the Apocalypse and the art seems to mostly tell me there are some curvy, curvy white super ladies running around. Which is fine - more than fine - but also not. If somebody wants to chime in to get me to lean in its direction, please feel free.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Looking at the header photo i can't wait to see how the traitor mechanic in this game will play out.

It's Shadows Over Camelot with a photo pasted onto it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dawgstar posted:

I'm normally a sucker for a supers RPG, but I am unsure of the recently-launched SuperAge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1625564009/superage-role-playing-game?ref=437441&token=c4013a32

I've never quite wrapped my head about anything Powered by the Apocalypse and the art seems to mostly tell me there are some curvy, curvy white super ladies running around. Which is fine - more than fine - but also not. If somebody wants to chime in to get me to lean in its direction, please feel free.

If it helps, this looks "Powered by the Apocalypse" in the loosest possible sense, probably just in using d6s. Nothing else they describe about the game (universal mechanics with only a very broad theme, full character creation instead of playbooks, granular combat that isn't "dangerous") is PbtA-y at all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I.... hmm.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Sierra Madre Games backed this :laugh: